Hobsons Reviews | Glassdoor

Hobsons Chief Executive Officer Kate Cassino
Kate Cassino

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management unproven with unrealistic expectations of the market and sales cycles" (in 13 reviews)

• "They recently let go the president of the company and one of the founders" (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at Hobsons full-time

Pros

Great company to work for. They are dedicated to creating a platform that can support students needs. The departments are well managed and supported (as long as you speak up). They provide a positive work life balance!

Cons

None that I have experienced

Advice to Management

Continue listening to your clients to develop your products and your employees to encourage positive change.

Sep 25, 2018 – Sr. Talent Acquisition Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us!

"Great Company"

I worked at Hobsons part-time

Pros

Work hard, play hard is a great way to describe the culture at Hobsons. There is always something fun happening in the office whether that is a happy hour, ice cream social, or just hanging out in the game room.

Cons

None that I can think of

Sep 25, 2018 – Sr. Talent Acquisition Partner

We're glad to hear you've embraced the Hobsons culture and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

3. "Representative"

Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hobsons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing work environment, great team work. Company provides lunch. 50+ calls a day. Company takes pride in what they do and treat their employees fair.

Cons

Need a more structural training course, They teach you the basics; learning environment is hands on experience and shadowing other representatives. Live calls begin in a week after training.

Advice to Management

Yes, 1-2 yr. time and how well you know the company and their policies.

"Not all change is good"

I worked at Hobsons full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Unlimited PTO, casual work environment, awesome coworkers, flexible schedule

Cons

Hobsons used to be a place I could never see myself leaving. Every day we felt uplifted and energized coming to work. The company culture was top notch with events that fostered a sense of community, inspiring senior leadership, and employees were fueled by the company mission. It just felt "home." Things took a turn when Hobsons made a poor product decision, and encouraged clients to move to a new product that was still way too much in its infancy to support the many dynamic needs of the clients we served. As a result, Hobsons lost a competitive edge in the market and trust with long-time customers.

Eventually DMGT brought in the Boston Consulting Group, and although Hobsons has never been a stranger to change, the changes ushered in by BCG were catastrophic to the morale and heart of the company I loved. There was a major divestiture in half of the company portfolio, massive layoffs, and a new wave of stuffy, elitist senior leadership that never made an attempt to earn the respect of the employees they serve. Additionally, there is very little transparency in the company now and no clear understanding of why certain decisions are made - lots of repeating of past mistakes.

Although I loved my coworkers, once the voices of the employees were drowned out by The Good Old Boys Club, I knew it was time to go. The grass has definitely been greener on the other side. There are plenty of tech companies out there with the great culture that Hobsons used to have with much better leadership, direction, and still value and respect their employees.

Advice to Management

Say hi to employees when you see them. Make an effort to be relatable. Take a class to learn how to capture and inspire an audience. A CEO should not need to read from a note card or stumble over their words when delivering a speech to “thank” their employees.

"Remote Sales for 4-years: Ups and Downs"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hobsons (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance and the pay is pretty decent. Also a great stepping stone job especially if you want to get into EdTech or tech sales. Met some really smart people here and got some good opportunities with other companies after putting in my time and finding success.

Cons

Where do I start? Management has no idea how to sell the product since they never have and it translates, so you better know what you are doing coming into the role.

Finance also messes up quota estimates for sales-reps every year, since financial goals aren't in alignment with the actual market (they fall short every year). They overestimate quotas and this is why less than a quarter of reps hit goal. They are also shady if you hit quota early. EXAMPLE: I hit quota in Q2 one year and got a call from the president of sales telling me finance made a "mistake" and they would be increasing my quota by 10% with only 3 months left in the year. Apparently working hard and hitting your number early will just get you an arbitrary quota increase without the time or pipeline to fulfill the request, just so they can make extra numbers and keep your bonus from you. This is a great way to treat your top reps, right?

Hobsons will also give you a finite list of accounts in the same territory year-over-year and expect increasing sales as your account list grows smaller. This is why they are moving to an account management business (they already work with all the top districts so there's no whales left). I have been the top rep more than once, but as soon as you slip a little it becomes an environment of fear.

I also don't understand how some of the sales reps get credit for being so "great" when all of their leads are inbound or from an SDR and they make less than 100 phone calls in a year. What this tells me is you don't need to do any work if you are in the right place at the right time, great message to your other sales people! Keeps morale really high!

Advice to Management

Learn how to sell the product (go into a hard territory and actually close a sale) and then you will know how to be a good sales manager. Some of the managers are good and this doesn't apply, but upper management this definitely applies. Please stop treating reps who make 100 calls per year and get all inbound leads like they are the greatest, it's insulting to the other reps that actually do their job and work hard to close deals. It also makes management look like they have no idea what goes into closing business.

Nov 9, 2018 – Sr. Talent Acquisition Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We're proud to share Hobsons hit an all-time high in the 2018 fiscal year across our sales and client retention teams, and over 60% of our reps... More

"Going down in flames"

I worked at Hobsons full-time

Pros

Not much anymore, it was once a really good place to work but now its just losing steam and I would be surprised if they lasted much longer.

Cons

Horrible pay, no growth, lots of turnover and people not trustworthy.

Nov 9, 2018 – Sr. Talent Acquisition Partner

Thank you for sharing your feedback. While Hobsons has gone through some change over the past few years, we strongly believe we're on the path to continued success and growth but understand our new... More

"My time at Hobsons"

Current Employee - Intern in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Intern in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hobsons (Less than a year)

Pros

Great and friendly team
    Young environment
    accessible executives
    Hobsons is growing so there is a lot of opportunity

Cons

Pay could be a little bit higher

Oct 10, 2018 – Sr. Talent Acquisition Partner

We were thrilled to have all our interns this summer! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hobsons full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance! Love the people I work with and very exciting work.

Cons

Nothing that I have come across yet.

Sep 28, 2018 – Sr. Talent Acquisition Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hobsons and being a great member of our team!

9. "Ok company"

Pros

Value your work, work from home options not a bad company to work for

Cons

Tough to be recognized, to much internal politics and favor ism!

Sep 25, 2018 – Sr. Talent Acquisition Partner

Thank you for sharing your feedback, we strive to recognize employees for the impact they bring to Hobsons, our clients, and end users. We're sorry we fell short here and will continue to make this a... More

"Sales"

I worked at Hobsons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Team of sales people are incredible people
    -flexible pto
    -Christmas break

Cons

-upper management cares about numbers on a piece of paper
    -no direction

Advice to Management

Remember who makes you successful. Sales people really do have emotion.

Sep 25, 2018 – Sr. Talent Acquisition Partner

Thank you for sharing your experience with Hobsons. We appreciate the time you invested with us will use your feedback to improve.