Hobsons Reviews | Glassdoor

Hobsons Chief Executive Officer Kate Cassino
Kate Cassino

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management unproven with unrealistic expectations of the market and sales cycles" (in 13 reviews)

• "They recently let go the president of the company and one of the founders" (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at Hobsons full-time

Pros

Great company to work for. They are dedicated to creating a platform that can support students needs. The departments are well managed and supported (as long as you speak up). They provide a positive work life balance!

Cons

None that I have experienced

Advice to Management

Continue listening to your clients to develop your products and your employees to encourage positive change.

"Great Company"

I worked at Hobsons part-time

Pros

Work hard, play hard is a great way to describe the culture at Hobsons. There is always something fun happening in the office whether that is a happy hour, ice cream social, or just hanging out in the game room.

Cons

None that I can think of

3. "Ok company"

Pros

Value your work, work from home options not a bad company to work for

Cons

Tough to be recognized, to much internal politics and favor ism!

4. "Sales"

I worked at Hobsons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Team of sales people are incredible people
    -flexible pto
    -Christmas break

Cons

-upper management cares about numbers on a piece of paper
    -no direction

Advice to Management

Remember who makes you successful. Sales people really do have emotion.

"sales"

I worked at Hobsons full-time

Pros

Strong product line with solid functionality

Cons

Not organized and can't determine the direction they want to take the company/division, too many changes - can't seem to find their secret sauce

6. "Excited to see how we evolve!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hobsons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Newer employee to Hobsons and I'm so glad I joined the team! The passion of my colleagues for education and student success is invigorating and I've had great experiences working with a variety of departments.

The company has gone through a lot of change in the last year but they now have a strong strategic and innovative focus -- I'm excited to see how we evolve!

Cons

None that I've run into yet.

"Moving in the right direction"

I have been working at Hobsons full-time

Pros

Working with great people on really interesting problems. Moving in a good direction after changes last year. Great benefits.

Cons

It is a culture that is changing quickly which creates great opportunities but can also be a bit intense.

Advice to Management

Keep moving in the same direction. Things have improved tremendously.

"Company could go either way"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hobsons full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Focus on student success throughout all product lines--most people I worked with really did bring it back to "how will this affect students?" in product development, sales, and professional services.

Casual work environment, including pretty casual dress code (unless you're meeting with clients). During the summer, employees can wear shorts on Fridays if they contribute to the corporate charity.

Unlimited vacation available for salaried employees (although I think many people ended up using less vacation than they had under the previous vacation policy)

Some employees and managers are trying to improve morale and create fun ways for everyone to interact (office Olympics, potlucks, etc.)

Cons

Some questionable hires at the senior level. Several senior staff members had worked together at prior companies - that seems to be all it takes to come on board. And some senior staff liked to butt into the operations of other parts of the company rather than focus on what they were hired to do in their own division.

Hobsons customers can be pretty demanding - sometimes it seems like no matter what the company does, the education community will question the motive or think the worst of Hobsons without bothering to get the facts. It can be demoralizing to constantly be viewed as the evil empire when you know that Hobsons really was trying to do something good for customers and their students.

Performance evaluation process is a joke. There were always great plans and webinars about how the process would work and how it would be helpful, but then the forms or the materials would be made available just a few weeks before evaluations were due, and often amounted to a spreadsheet.

Lots of reorganizations in recent years. Every time, it meant that more people were RIF'd and those left behind were expected to pick up all the responsibilities for everyone who'd been let go, while still having all the responsibilities they already had.

Advice to Management

The CEO is in the Arlington office two weeks a month (she also goes to the Cincinnati office and commutes from home in the NY area). She's not terribly interested in talking to the rank and file, so her perspective on how things are going is coming only from senior staff - who, of course, make everything sound rosy.

For the most part, the people working at Hobsons below the senior level are talented and want to do a good job - but some are working for micromanagers who drain the energy out of their employees.

The company used to care more about employee morale and try to help employees feel empowered in their jobs. There was also a focus making sure people felt connected to the company's mission. In the last couple of years, however, there doesn't seem to have been any emphasis on morale or engagement. What used to be a mission has turned into 'just a job' for a lot of people, which is a shame.

"Account Executive"

I worked at Hobsons full-time

Pros

Great culture, smart coworkers, good benefits.

Cons

Top heavy management, remote workers have a difficult time being seen.

10. "Account Management"

I worked at Hobsons full-time

Pros

A great product offering, supportive product management, good people, good benefits

Cons

Not flexible , if you don't like change, you will not like it, they restructure every year and sometimes you are ask to move to a different group