Hobsons Reviews

3.3
Hobsons Chief Executive Officer Kate Cassino
Kate Cassino
Pros
Cons
  • "Upper Management focuses solely on revenue growth to the detriment of potential and existing customers(in 16 reviews)

• "Last year, sales lost half the entire team with most quitting and few getting let go(in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing People & Culture, Strong Mission, Great Benefits"

Current Employee - Proposal Writer

I have been working at Hobsons full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hobsons is an incredible place to work for many reasons, but most importantly, its people. Their passion, energy and dedication to the company's mission of helping students achieve their full potential serves to unite everyone in pursuit of a common goal, regardless of function or level. From our executive leadership and management to individual contributors, everyone has an important role to play to get the job done. It's this team mentality of cross-collaboration that makes for an amazing culture of innovation and drive to continuously improve, year-over-year. The nature of the work lends itself to flexible work schedules and working remote, which is a huge advantage in today's world. Everyone's contributions are valued and recognized through great benefits & compensation, strong work/life balance, career growth opportunities and awesome celebratory events. Simply put, the people at Hobsons really care about what they do and the people they serve, both internally and externally. I continue to be inspired by the caliber and talent of this team, and I'm thankful and proud to be part of such an amazing organization.

Cons

Honestly, I can't think of anything.

Hobsons2020-01-11

"Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Demand Generation Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hobsons full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, great management, 401k, full benefits, unlimited PTO, awesome team, good location.

Cons

I can't think of any!

Hobsons2020-03-05

"Growing Company w/ Work-Life Balance"

Current Employee - Sales in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Hobsons full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Growing company. Market leader. Resides in the education space.

Cons

Smaller company. No stock options.

Hobsons2020-03-30

May 13, 2020SVP of Talent

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm glad you are finding the role fulfilling. Unfortunately as a private company we don't offer any stock options to staff but our other benefits are robust with very low cost high quality health insurance available to all from Day 1.

"good company"

Current Employee - Customer Development Team in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hobsons full-time

Pros

winter holiday schedule is fantastic

Cons

no growth in the position

Hobsons2020-03-13

May 13, 2020SVP of Talent

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I also love our winter break! It is a definite perk for all staff across the holidays. If you are looking for additional responsibility, I always encourage employees to start that conversation with their manager. Hobsons continues to grow and knowing who is open to taking on stretch opportunities makes it easier for us to promote from within.

"Do yourself a favor and read the non-fake reviews"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hobsons full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are decent but read between the lines. Most of their benefits have a fine print.

Cons

No room to grow, constant reorgs, and constant layoffs.

Hobsons2020-04-14

May 13, 2020SVP of Talent

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am sorry to read that you did not have a positive experience despite your tenure at Hobsons. The company has gone through a lot of change across the last 5 years including changing senior leadership and some painful layoffs when the company consolidated to focus on its most promising and profitable business units. Since then, the company has focused on building a strong economic base and financial stability for itself and our employees. This discipline has come in handy in recent months with the COVID-19 crisis. Hobsons has been able to maintain all of our employees at full-time capacity with no reduction in compensation or benefits. In turn, our employees have been able to continue to support our clients who suddenly had to transition to remote learning for the first time. The focus on financial rigor might have seemed ill-placed during healthy economic times but it has paid off for our staff and clients now during uncertain times. We continue to honor our mission to support student success remotely now and when our clients need us, we continue to be available to them. Change is a big part of an agile tech environment. Hobsons has had to respond to a changing marketplace, changes to customer needs and well as ever changing technology. This isn't always an easy environment but we do have many staff who thrive in this climate and see the change as opportunity to innovate.

"When even tons of fake reviews can't help"

2.0

I worked at Hobsons full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Worthy mission - Decent benefits - Still a few quality people left (for now) - Flexible work arrangements (though not if you want to feel like you belong)

Cons

- Chasing the bottom line at any and all costs just to make the investment parent company happy - With the above in mind, employees are treated like just another expense - No opportunities for career progression - No professional development - Bully-style management - No company culture - Red tape - Layoffs, layoffs, layoffs

Hobsons2020-03-10

May 13, 2020SVP of Talent

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am sorry to read that you did not have a positive experience despite your tenure at Hobsons. The company has gone through a lot of change across the last 3 years including changing senior leadership and some intentional staff transitions about 3 years ago. Since then, the company has focused on building a strong economic base and financial stability for itself and our employees. This discipline has come in handy in recent months with the COVID-19 crisis. Hobsons has been able to maintain all of our employees at full-time capacity with no reduction in compensation or benefits. In turn, our employees have been able to continue to support our clients who suddenly had to transition to remote learning for the first time. The focus on financial rigor might have seemed ill-placed during healthy economic times but it has paid off for our staff and clients now during uncertain times. We continue to honor our mission to support student success remotely now and when our clients need us, we continue to be available to them. I'm sure Glassdoor has the ability to detect and remove fake reviews. Since reviews accumulate and track over time and Glassdoor has been around for a good 8 or 9 years (if not longer) with Hobsons having over 2,000 employees at one point, having just under 300 reviews does not feel implausible to me. If we were posting fake reviews, we should have bulked up our numbers a bit!

"Amazing mission, but lacks direction in the product and organization of teams beneath leadership"

I have been working at Hobsons

Pros

Product offerings have amazing potential. The greater purpose and mission of the product is wonderful. The Executive Leadership team is amazing and shares amazing insight for where the company is headed. Great company events and always exciting office morale. Cincinnati office is brand new and amazing facilities to work out of.

Cons

Product has amazing potential but Hobsons seems to lack in investing in substantiating talent to enhance the product to the demands of the clients. Management is poorly ran and not held accountable from director levels and down. Many product issues, and horrible work/life balance.

Hobsons2020-01-03

February 5, 2020SVP of Talent

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are working on ramping up our talent acquisition skills through a recent transition to a modernized system and will be rolling out manager training in the Spring. We continue to invest in product improvements. As employees share their concerns directly with me in HR, we have been able to take action and make changes to improve the internal culture for staff. It is a partnership with employees. Please feel free to schedule time with me directly if there are any specific concerns that you do need to address.

"Great place to be, but still room for improvement"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Hobsons full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility in work schedule, very generous PTO, competitive pay and benefits, supportive of the community & willing to give back (time and money)

Cons

Little transparency when it comes to performance evaluation, company culture has focused more on being profitable than on being an enjoyable workplace, lack of diversity, lack of female representation in management/middle-management positions

Hobsons2019-11-11

December 12, 2019SVP of Talent

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We still have some work to do as we build a strong performance culture at Hobsons that is more representative as a whole but will remain committed to sharing our passion for the mission of assisting students achieve their academic potential at their various life stages. Please feel free to send any ideas or recommendations to me directly about how we can keep our messaging on the mission.

"If you want to make a difference, this is where you work!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hobsons full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I waited 2 years to find the right job at Hobsons, and I am glad I waited. All of the basics are great: Benefits, PTO, good work life balance is encouraged and supported. Leadership does listen to the employees, its as simple as raising your hand and providing feedback. Change happens, but there has never been a time that I haven't felt heard and appreciated. The goal to support sales, continues to be a focus in the company. The goal to support student success is in our mission and ties into every business line. We aren't successful if our clients are successful, and based on my client relationships and feedback, I think we are doing very well! Its a good time to be at Hobsons!

Cons

I am a remote employee, so staying connected is super important. There has been a more concerted effort to help with connectivity and I have seen improvements over the past 2 years.

Hobsons2019-10-30

December 12, 2019SVP of Talent

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am glad to reach you find meaning in the work and the amazing people we have as colleagues at Hobsons. We will continue to work on ways to keep our remote employees connected to the business so please feel free to pass along any recommendations or suggestions to me. I am excited to see the investments in our technology teams and marketing function help our sales and product teams continue their remarkable work in the future.

"Hobsons Happy"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Hobsons full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

-Leadership is actively participating in cultivating happy, high performing culture. -Feedback is open and welcomed, and changes are made. -Work/Life balance has always been a priority, but now has tangible attributes like maternity/paternity leave and specific work from home days. -Compensation is getting more competitive.

Cons

-Fewer tenured employees, however, can also be a pro!

Hobsons2019-10-31

November 1, 2019SVP of Talent

Thank you for sharing your feedback! It is great to read how the newer programs like our paid maternity/paternity benefits are having a positive impact on employees. Please keep sharing feedback with us and we will keep listening.

Found 272 reviews