HookLogic Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jonathan Opdyke

1. "Business Development Manager"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at HookLogic (More than a year)

Pros

Senior management is very in tune with growth opportunities. Great overall leadership.

Benefits are very good.

Cons

Career paths not well defined.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Best Place I've Worked"

I worked at HookLogic full-time

Pros

- Opportunity to work on very challenging projects that demand creativity, collaboration and continuous self-growth
    - Several opportunities to prove one's capabilities and grow in the company
    - Inclusive culture that goes out of their way to make HookLogic fun and welcoming
    - Frequent communication from leadership regarding the direction and goals of the company
    - Beautiful open workspace that is probably the best I've seen in Ann Arbor

Cons

The responsible adult vacation policy is a double edged sword - it provides incredible flexibility but also makes it hard to know if you are taking too much or too little vacation

Advice to Management

Try to maintain the friendly, fun and nimble culture as you grow into a bigger and more global company.

3. "Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at HookLogic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and unlimited vacation policy. Summer Fridays and frequent catered lunch. Awesome work environment just steps away from the Big House and Downtown Ann Arbor. Offsite company retreat is amazing.

Cons

Expected to work 9 hours a day minimum. Deadlines are aggressive and sometimes unrealistic. Many meetings that are pointless for all attendees.

"Awseome!!!"

Current Employee - Senior Data Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Data Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

Great work environment and vacation plan

Cons

Lots of work and growing fast.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Best Opportunity!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at HookLogic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

HookLogic is a great company, it has so much going for itself. Working in the e-commerce/technology space is cutting edge and very forward thinking. The company culture is so unique and very employee focused. This company cares about their employees. Yes there are long nights or early mornings but they reward you in other ways. Free health benefits for you and your family, summer Fridays, company paid retreats and so much more. It was a mistake to leave this company.

Cons

Your typical startup pains but so many pros that it outweighs the cons that cause drama.

"Get in with HookLogic While the Gettins' Good"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at HookLogic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Immense opportunity for Hooklogic to become the Google of the "machine of retail ecommerce". Strong likelihood that Hooklogic will be bought out by one of the tech giants in next 2 years, perhaps huge upside to equity given to new hires. "J.O." the CEO is a great leader who effectively balances delegation and future vision.

Very generous annual retreats, liberal travel policy, nice office, free premium snacks and beverages, other freebees (they gave every employee a free $500 Microsoft Surface in July 2015)

Cons

I am speaking a former Sr. IT guy, but a huge issue is the fact that 80% of their IT works in Ann Arbor Michigan. Due to market demands, the NY staff is often paid 50% more than MI for similar roles, this leads to cases when the manager is earning far LESS than his staff, creating some weird feelings and barriers to say the least. Working there over a year, really nothing else "con" I can really justify.

Advice to Management

Keep Fightin' the Good Fight!

"Great Company and Product"

I have been working at HookLogic full-time

Pros

HookLogic is a great company with an awesome product. It has found a truly unique niche in the ad tech ecosystem. If you want to work in tech in NYC, this is the place.
    -Smart, fun, nice co-workers. No jerks here.
    -Casual office environment.
    -Great CEO who really cares about and is transparent with his employees.
    -Fun events - e.g. all company retreat, kayak dodgeball.
    -Happy clients and investors.
    -Company is growing rapidly - there is a lot of opportunity here if you are willing to work hard.
    -Challenging, unique work.
    -Great benefits.

Cons

Typical startup growing pains. Sometimes things can move a bit too quickly. If you are not the type of person who can roll with the punches or needs a lot of guidance, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

You've built a great company but there are a few things you could do to maintain it. Put more formal processes in place so things do not break as the company scales. Have more company events to maintain/enhance company culture.

"My favorite company I have worked for"

I have been working at HookLogic full-time

Pros

HookLogic is becoming a real heavy-hitter in the digital ad space. The company has grown quite a bit since I started there a year ago and shows no signs of slowing down, which can only mean more career opportunities and growth down the road. The office environment is fun, casual and -- as has been my experience -- as long as you get your work done, nobody micromanages.

Cons

The Ann Arbor office can be a bit cliquey. This isn't a deal breaker for me, as I tend to keep my work life and my social life separate, but if you aren't in one of the inner circles, don't expect to get invited to happy hours unless either a) it's a company sponsored event, or b) you find someone who knows and ask them what the plan is. I can see why some of the negative reviews described the office as a "good old boys club," but I would NOT go as far as to say it's like working for a fraternity and getting paid to be hazed, as one of the negative reviews pointed out. At least not on my team.

Advice to Management

I think more office-wide events (happy hours, sporting events, game nights) would be a good step toward including more people and breaking apart the cliques. I would like to see more recreational sports as well. I have noticed more video game nights and poker nights popping up, which is good. As far as the professional side of things, I have not seen anything that I think needs addressing, so my advice is to keep doing what you're doing.

"Delusional management and no respect"

Former Employee - Developer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Developer in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at HookLogic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large open office. Peers all seem to be in the same boat and can be fun to work with. Free coffee and snacks. Challenging projects. Yearly retreats are pretty awesome. Benefits are pretty good.

Cons

The company is run by a core group of long term employees that can not do any wrong and are constantly promoted, leaving everyone else to he wind. Management seems to be oblivious to this. They will not promote anyone outside of the core group and instead hire externally for most senior positions. No respect given for individual projects or work. HR staff is incompetent. Bullying and a general locker-room attitude seems to be not just accepted but promoted. Because of this turnover is absolutely shocking and no one seems to care

Advice to Management

Get rid of 90% of executive management, put the board in control and re-hire the top end of the company. A few of them (CRO, CFO) are great. But some are dangerously incompetent, especially the CEO.

HookLogic Response

Oct 12, 2015 – Director, Human Resources

Thanks for your review. We certainly have some longstanding employees who have grown their careers here at Hooklogic. They’ve climbed the ranks by being passionate about their work and demonstrating ... More

"Great, fast-growing company with great people!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

I wasnt looking for a new job when I met some of the folks from HookLogic a few years ago, but I liked the company and the team so much that I made the jump. I'm happy to say I don't regret it, I have learned so much and grown a ton in a short time. There is so much opportunity to learn and grow at a company of its size, and the technology is truly one of a kind. The clients really believe in the product and are huge supporters, which is very rewarding. Also some of the smaller perks (like annual company retreat) make the culture really awesome!

Cons

Cons are the same as they would be for any company with under 500 employees - the biggest one probably being that there isnt as much room to move within as there would be with a large global corporation.