Humanscale Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Humanscale CEO Bob King
Bob King

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Humanscale has great products especially our seating line" (in 14 reviews)

• "this is a great company to work for" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lack of mentorship in upper management" (in 8 reviews)

• "Order entry and customer service is underperforming and internal customer relations management programs are cumbersome and inefficient" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Strong Sales Organization that Rewards High Performance Team Players"

Former Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Humanscale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Humanscale is a great place to work. Humanscale is not an easy place to work. Humanscale hires sharp, bright people and provides excellent training. While some might not be happy about it, Humanscale has high expectations. Think of it this way, if someone is hired to play on a professional sports team, they are expected to deliver results. If you come to work here, it’s a compliment on your abilities and potential, be prepared to perform. Humanscale products are world-class from a design and performance perspective, they are second-to-none. If you are willing to work hard, have fun and be rewarded…this is a great company to work for.

Cons

Not for mediocre talent or those unwilling to work hard. Not for those who are afraid of competition, internally and externally.

Advice to Management

Continue to evolve, with both processes and products. Provide feedback to valuable employees. Maintain consistent levels of inventory.

2. "Account Development Representative"

Current Employee - Account Development Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Development Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Humanscale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was an amazing company experience huge growth. The entire office is a enthusiastic environment. All of my fellow co-workers are awesome to work with and be around.

Cons

Nothing negative to say about company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing job! This company is truly a special place to work.

"no appreciation, no increase in salary for added work"

I worked at Humanscale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the product is great, the healthcare is decent

Cons

Unless you are in sales you don't get treated very well. I had a job, then was given the job of 2 more people with no increase in salary. Sales can be very rude and tend to throw you under the bus if things don't go their way. Alot of money is spent on food that doesn't get eaten , events, and expenses yet they cant pay their employees enough. Good work goes unnoticed, yet when a mistake is made, you get written up for it.

Humanscale Response

Nov 6, 2018 – HRIS Analyst

We’re sorry to hear about your experience. As a growing company we have a strong focus on our Sales efforts so that we can continue to expand as a company, so we can understand how this... More

4. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Humanscale full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You are compensated well and you can often enjoy a great deal of atonamy. Humanscale has great products especially our seating line. If you can make it past 3 years of hard work building your client and network base you can be very successful here and make a lot of money.

Cons

You need to be a self starter with a lot of drive. You also need to overcome any barrier because that it what is expected. If you are in sales you can be required to do anything beacuse they rarely hire anyone in any another department that are competent or care about their role in the sales process.

Advice to Management

This company has a lot of potential. We need all hands on deck to accomplish our goals.

5. "Sales Manager"

I have been working at Humanscale full-time

Pros

A company that cares about their people and does a great job promoting within. Sales people are trained very well with a different approach to selling by tell the company stories about their products. Has a tremendous sustainability message and really cares about what goes into their products.

Cons

Have to work hard and learn the industry. Might take a year to really learn the in's and out's of the furniture world. Not a turn and burn type of sale, some larger project sales can take 2-4 years.

Advice to Management

Hire a sales person that can do it all. Prospecting, hunt new business, manage current clients etc.

6. "Business Development"

Current Employee - Business Management in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Business Management in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Humanscale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great product design in products that solve solutions by being simple to use. Huge investment into innovation,. well defined business plans, very earth friendly company always promoting sustainability.

Cons

Product Quality is lacking in some product lines. Order entry and customer service is underperforming and internal customer relations management programs are cumbersome and inefficient.

Advice to Management

Redefine customer service and take a simpler approach to order entry management. There is a strong need for infrastructure improvements and more on-shoring of manufacturing.

7. "For those who love a challenge"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Humanscale full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As the title says, Humanscale is a place where those who love to be challenged do extremely well. I have not found a more competitive group anywhere else in my career. While the culture is not for everybody it does seem to attract former athletes or others who enjoy stretching themselves to achieve new goals. Being one of the people who left the company only to return I can clearly say you will not a find a better team of people to work within our industry.

Cons

No doubt about it, our goals can be tough. Humanscale is an entrepreneurial company that demands its people to think outside of the box and be creative problem solvers. Many of our best ideas come from within the employees of this company and many times get implemented. However, this company is not for the thin-skinned or people who expect large company bureaucracy and processes - sometimes we are figuring things out as we move along.

Advice to Management

Continue developing our people with internal and external resources. What we are doing is working.

"Customer Service Dept."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

I worked at Humanscale full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, that was the only pro of this company.

Cons

Terrible Pay. Terrible treatment of employees. Terrible business practices.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Stop making them create fake glassdoor reviews to make your company better. Treat your employee better and with some actual respect. If you are not in upper management, you screw them over.

"If you're not in Sales, you're not important."

Former Employee - Sales Support Coordinator in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Support Coordinator in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Humanscale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Travel
    - The products they sell are awesome
    - Time and a half if you work overtime

Cons

- Pay is TERRIBLE, Just above min wage.
    - No one cares about you if you're not in sales
    - Admin/Order Entry staff are always being blamed for everything
    - No one in other teams takes accountability for their mistakes
    - No training. You basically just sink or swim.
    - Use a terrible system called Infor that always crashes and causes backlog which means we always have to do overtime.
    - Expected to be available for overtime and work weekends when it's the company's fault if we are behind/backlogged.
    - Did I mention the pay is terrible?

Advice to Management

Take a look and see why you have a high turn over of staff who are NOT in sales. Pay everyone a couple of dollars more per hour, you don't realize the difference that would make. Happy employees = Better performance. Have proper training in place, don't make admin/order entry staff feel like crap all the time and make us feel dumb when we do SO much work for all the sales reps and probably do more work than anyone in the admin department. Oh and fix Infor.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, CO

I worked at Humanscale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are none! Some of the people were okay.

Cons

Lack of direction, poor training, management has no clue what they are doing. Constant lack of organization. Zero accountability. This company truly lacks the I can help you with that attitude. Don’t even waste your time. This a great job for someone that enjoys constant confusion! Most if not all of your employees are unapproachable & unfriendly.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. There is a reason for the high levels of attrition. Get in the trenches and ask your employees what they need to be successful.