Humanscale Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Humanscale CEO Bob King
Bob King

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great product design in products that solve solutions by being simple to use" (in 13 reviews)

• "this is a great company to work for" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lack of mentorship in upper management" (in 8 reviews)

• "Order entry and customer service is underperforming and internal customer relations management programs are cumbersome and inefficient" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Strong Sales Organization that Rewards High Performance Team Players"

Former Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Humanscale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Humanscale is a great place to work. Humanscale is not an easy place to work. Humanscale hires sharp, bright people and provides excellent training. While some might not be happy about it, Humanscale has high expectations. Think of it this way, if someone is hired to play on a professional sports team, they are expected to deliver results. If you come to work here, it’s a compliment on your abilities and potential, be prepared to perform. Humanscale products are world-class from a design and performance perspective, they are second-to-none. If you are willing to work hard, have fun and be rewarded…this is a great company to work for.

Cons

Not for mediocre talent or those unwilling to work hard. Not for those who are afraid of competition, internally and externally.

Advice to Management

Continue to evolve, with both processes and products. Provide feedback to valuable employees. Maintain consistent levels of inventory.

2. "Sales Manager"

I have been working at Humanscale full-time

Pros

A company that cares about their people and does a great job promoting within. Sales people are trained very well with a different approach to selling by tell the company stories about their products. Has a tremendous sustainability message and really cares about what goes into their products.

Cons

Have to work hard and learn the industry. Might take a year to really learn the in's and out's of the furniture world. Not a turn and burn type of sale, some larger project sales can take 2-4 years.

Advice to Management

Hire a sales person that can do it all. Prospecting, hunt new business, manage current clients etc.

3. "Account Development Representative"

Current Employee - Account Development Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Humanscale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was an amazing company experience huge growth. The entire office is a enthusiastic environment. All of my fellow co-workers are awesome to work with and be around.

Cons

Nothing negative to say about company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing job! This company is truly a special place to work.

4. "Business Development"

Current Employee - Business Management in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Business Management in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Humanscale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great product design in products that solve solutions by being simple to use. Huge investment into innovation,. well defined business plans, very earth friendly company always promoting sustainability.

Cons

Product Quality is lacking in some product lines. Order entry and customer service is underperforming and internal customer relations management programs are cumbersome and inefficient.

Advice to Management

Redefine customer service and take a simpler approach to order entry management. There is a strong need for infrastructure improvements and more on-shoring of manufacturing.

5. "For those who love a challenge"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Humanscale full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As the title says, Humanscale is a place where those who love to be challenged do extremely well. I have not found a more competitive group anywhere else in my career. While the culture is not for everybody it does seem to attract former athletes or others who enjoy stretching themselves to achieve new goals. Being one of the people who left the company only to return I can clearly say you will not a find a better team of people to work within our industry.

Cons

No doubt about it, our goals can be tough. Humanscale is an entrepreneurial company that demands its people to think outside of the box and be creative problem solvers. Many of our best ideas come from within the employees of this company and many times get implemented. However, this company is not for the thin-skinned or people who expect large company bureaucracy and processes - sometimes we are figuring things out as we move along.

Advice to Management

Continue developing our people with internal and external resources. What we are doing is working.

"If you're not in Sales, you're not important."

Former Employee - Sales Support Coordinator in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Support Coordinator in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Humanscale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Travel
    - The products they sell are awesome
    - Time and a half if you work overtime

Cons

- Pay is TERRIBLE, Just above min wage.
    - No one cares about you if you're not in sales
    - Admin/Order Entry staff are always being blamed for everything
    - No one in other teams takes accountability for their mistakes
    - No training. You basically just sink or swim.
    - Use a terrible system called Infor that always crashes and causes backlog which means we always have to do overtime.
    - Expected to be available for overtime and work weekends when it's the company's fault if we are behind/backlogged.
    - Did I mention the pay is terrible?

Advice to Management

Take a look and see why you have a high turn over of staff who are NOT in sales. Pay everyone a couple of dollars more per hour, you don't realize the difference that would make. Happy employees = Better performance. Have proper training in place, don't make admin/order entry staff feel like crap all the time and make us feel dumb when we do SO much work for all the sales reps and probably do more work than anyone in the admin department. Oh and fix Infor.

7. "Senior Account Development Representative"

Former Employee - Senior Account Development Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Account Development Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Humanscale full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Incredible product and sales story, great office and working conditions, excellent Sales Management. Compensation was very competitive and rewarding.

Cons

Competitive environment, need to make sure your up for a challenge. Not necessarily a Con but my friends and I use Glass Door often so want to make sure my review is accurate.

Advice to Management

Do better to hire new Sales People. There was a team environment in my office and over the several years I was on the team there was 1-2 times that new hires didn't last. We would have performed better if Management selected better hires.

8. "Great people, Challenging work"

I have been working at Humanscale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Humanscale is a company where you are not limited in your ability to show your potential. I have found the Leadership team to be receptive to new ideas and supportive. When I arrived I was given the opportunity to develop and create new processes and procedures, as well as share ideas for improvements to the organization. This allowed me to evolve my role and myself. Working here has allowed me to tap very deep into my creative side and has challenged me to perform at a higher level of expectation.

Cons

The overall strategic direction can be misaligned at times. I feel the organization jumps the gun sometimes when it comes to product launches which causes us to have to scramble to make up the time and meet customer demands.

Advice to Management

Take a small step back and let the process run its course. It will translate into smoother and more stable prodcut launch.

9. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Account Development Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Humanscale full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working at Humanscale for almost 5 years. I have never worked for a company that has invested so much into the development of their employees from a training standpoint. I have worked at many companies that have provided no training and set you up to fail, not here, your manager and senior leadership give you the tools to set you up for success and that is certainly something I appreciate.

Cons

Change can not be smooth sometimes, especially when implementing new operating systems that play a crucial part in the company. saying this, Humanscale has done their best to work through this and set the company to come out the other side in a much better place.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your employees from a training standpoint. If you invest in them, they will give you their all.

10. "Supportive Work Environment, Great People"

I have been working at Humanscale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, flexible and supportive work environment, cutting edge & beautiful products, made huge strides since I’ve started, especially in the last 3-5 years in terms of processes and systems

Cons

Some growing pains over the years in terms of systems and consistency in inventory (both of which are being addressed as high priorities), executive management can get bogged down in managing the details (but that has also improved as well)

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to feedback from your employees, continue to assess salaries to ensure they are competitive, keep supporting your employees as you are today!