Humanscale Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Humanscale CEO Bob King
Bob King

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great product design in products that solve solutions by being simple to use" (in 15 reviews)

• "Great people, great environment, great office, awesome products" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lack of mentorship in upper management" (in 8 reviews)

• "Order entry and customer service is underperforming and internal customer relations management programs are cumbersome and inefficient" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Strong Sales Organization that Rewards High Performance Team Players"

Former Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Humanscale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Humanscale is a great place to work. Humanscale is not an easy place to work. Humanscale hires sharp, bright people and provides excellent training. While some might not be happy about it, Humanscale has high expectations. Think of it this way, if someone is hired to play on a professional sports team, they are expected to deliver results. If you come to work here, it’s a compliment on your abilities and potential, be prepared to perform. Humanscale products are world-class from a design and performance perspective, they are second-to-none. If you are willing to work hard, have fun and be rewarded…this is a great company to work for.

Cons

Not for mediocre talent or those unwilling to work hard. Not for those who are afraid of competition, internally and externally.

Advice to Management

Continue to evolve, with both processes and products. Provide feedback to valuable employees. Maintain consistent levels of inventory.

"An incredible experience over a 20 year career!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Humanscale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Humanscale is very unique. We are an extremely fast growing company that continues to grow aggressively year after year; when most of our competitors are not. As an employee, you are given a lot of autonomy and tools to do your job, and if you work hard and produce, you will become very successful and career advancement opportunities will be there for you.

Cons

In order to be successful at Humanscale, you need to be adoptable, flexible, a team player and open to change. As we continue to grow and evolve rapidly, direction may alter at times. When this happens, it ultimately make things healthier for the entire organization. If your set in your ways and not open to new ideas, Humanscale may not be the best place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to reward those who work hard and are successful.

"Look else where"

Former Employee - Sale Support
    Former Employee - Sale Support

I worked at Humanscale full-time

Pros

*Great ops and sales people - can really build relationships if you can work through all the other issues this company has.
    *Benefits pretty decent
    *Product is top of its class

Cons

*Horrible Management for the support teams. They lack in responsibility, leadership (or in my office there was not a manger we could go to confidently), they are not knowledgeable, lack training and they have no concept of loyalty or respect.
    *No room for growth
    *Lacking culture
    *High turnover

Advice to Management

*Take a look at your turnover rate and the departments they belong to.
    *Take a look at the training you give your sale support team and managers.
    *Praise everyone not just sales, you wouldnt have a business with out all aspects of the company not just sales and OH and stop blaming system problems on your support team. (Beta test before you launch a new platform)

"Good for a first job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at Humanscale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The products that Humanscal make are top notch (a little overpriced). The office gives you a Google vibe with colorful chairs and three receptionists. Nice walking trail if your allowed to use it as HR likes to crack down on anyone walking on company time they would rather you be glued to your chair..this is an ergonomic office by the way.

Cons

Where to begin...Sales reps run the show. If you’re not in sales you don’t matter. They get rewarded for bringing sales in but forget that if their customers don’t pay that sale is useless. If you look at their directory they have about 25 (no exaggeration) Chief Officers and Directors. There is zero culture, they do not value employees as the turn over rate is astronomical. From my time there I have seen 12 people leave by being either terminated or voluntary (security escorts happen too). If you want to play volleyball and pass your daily duties to other departments (and vice versa) and take zero accountability then this is the place for you. They use talent and promise a better future to move up and branch out. Truth is you’ll stay in the same spot until you quit.

Advice to Management

It’s 2019, stop the “boys club” and take the bullies out of HR. intimidation doesn’t look good on a “growing company.

"Buy the Product But Stay Far Away From Employment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Humanscale full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Product offering is the best in its market. That's it.

Cons

1 Word: Micromanaging

First off, Humanscale asks its employees to write positive reviews on here to push the (real) negative ones further down the list....

Next, the interview will lure you in with talk of autonomy and how nice the office culture is and how everyone wants to support you, but it couldn't be further from the truth. It's a bizarre cult-like environment. There is no accountability in the office, people waste company dollars and time on a daily basis, everyone is out for himself, there is no sense of leadership or mentorship, and absolutely no room for growth. The bottom dollar is the bottom dollar and that is all the company cares about.

Advice to Management

1. Quit hiring new people constantly, it looks poor to current employees.
    2. Treat current employees with respect equally across all job titles, not just sales
    3. Create an inviting environment in which employees can speak openly about grievances, and not have to find quiet corners to speak
    4. LISTEN to your employees

"no appreciation, no increase in salary for added work"

I worked at Humanscale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the product is great, the healthcare is decent

Cons

Unless you are in sales you don't get treated very well. I had a job, then was given the job of 2 more people with no increase in salary. Sales can be very rude and tend to throw you under the bus if things don't go their way. Alot of money is spent on food that doesn't get eaten , events, and expenses yet they cant pay their employees enough. Good work goes unnoticed, yet when a mistake is made, you get written up for it.

Humanscale Response

Nov 6, 2018 – HRIS Analyst

We’re sorry to hear about your experience. As a growing company we have a strong focus on our Sales efforts so that we can continue to expand as a company, so we can understand how this... More

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Humanscale full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You are compensated well and you can often enjoy a great deal of atonamy. Humanscale has great products especially our seating line. If you can make it past 3 years of hard work building your client and network base you can be very successful here and make a lot of money.

Cons

You need to be a self starter with a lot of drive. You also need to overcome any barrier because that it what is expected. If you are in sales you can be required to do anything beacuse they rarely hire anyone in any another department that are competent or care about their role in the sales process.

Advice to Management

This company has a lot of potential. We need all hands on deck to accomplish our goals.

8. "Account Development Representative"

Current Employee - Account Development Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Development Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Humanscale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was an amazing company experience huge growth. The entire office is a enthusiastic environment. All of my fellow co-workers are awesome to work with and be around.

Cons

Nothing negative to say about company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing job! This company is truly a special place to work.

9. "Sales Manager"

I have been working at Humanscale full-time

Pros

A company that cares about their people and does a great job promoting within. Sales people are trained very well with a different approach to selling by tell the company stories about their products. Has a tremendous sustainability message and really cares about what goes into their products.

Cons

Have to work hard and learn the industry. Might take a year to really learn the in's and out's of the furniture world. Not a turn and burn type of sale, some larger project sales can take 2-4 years.

Advice to Management

Hire a sales person that can do it all. Prospecting, hunt new business, manage current clients etc.

10. "Business Development"

Current Employee - Business Management in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Business Management in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Humanscale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great product design in products that solve solutions by being simple to use. Huge investment into innovation,. well defined business plans, very earth friendly company always promoting sustainability.

Cons

Product Quality is lacking in some product lines. Order entry and customer service is underperforming and internal customer relations management programs are cumbersome and inefficient.

Advice to Management

Redefine customer service and take a simpler approach to order entry management. There is a strong need for infrastructure improvements and more on-shoring of manufacturing.