ING Direct Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at ING Direct (Less than a year)

Pros

ING as a client is very good and the work culture is awesome.

Cons

Not much cons for ING.

2. "Product Owner"

I worked at ING Direct full-time

Pros

Mission driven, heavy customer focus, flat organization where people respect ideas from any level.

Cons

No longer exists, bought over by Capital One

3. "Business Development Associate"

Pros

ING has an interesting business model.

Cons

Some of the promotions seemed to be based on cronyism instead of performance.

4. "Customer Service / Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Cloud, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at ING Direct part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, especially when you get the hang of the bonus system. They have very good training / coaching to help you learn to be good at your job. Very nice benefit package, even for Part Timers. The best part was the job environment - they go out of their way to make you feel like you are glad you work there. Also a company you can feel proud to work for, because they believe in doing what is best for the customer.

Cons

Because the job is centered on having sufficient staff on the phones, it can be very difficult to get personal days off when needed - unless you know the dates you need many months in advance!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! The benefits package, training and work environment are second to none in the field.

5. "Great Place to Work"

I worked at ING Direct full-time

Pros

Excellent people and culture with a great atmosphere

Cons

OK pay, only major complaint

6. "Customer Service Mortgage Customer Service Series 7 Licensed Customer Service Project Coordinator"

Former Employee - Achiever in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Achiever in Wilmington, DE

I worked at ING Direct full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Under the leadership of Arkadi and Jim (prior brand that included a lion) it was the best job I ever had and I am thankful for the culture that helped me develop into the man I am today. Each day was primarily spent thinking of how to wow our customers. Was an awesome place to work and develop.

Cons

Still establishing corporate culture. Split between legacy ING Direct resources locally that built the foundation of the brand and corporate office in Virginia that are attempting to leverage the magic.

Advice to Management

To the extent possible, allow it to live as an island without unnecessary corporate influence. There's a reason that an orange branded Dutch bank (that is fond of lions) received healthy dividends in return from their investment in this electronic pioneer in digital banking.

Hypothetically, if you allow for some redundant personnel within a homegrown organic culture primed to innovate you might be surprised at the insights you can gleam. It's a unique resource that needs proper accounting controls but whose creativity is strangled by any unnecessary bureaucracy.

7. "Great first job out of college"

Current Employee - Loan Processor in Saint Cloud, MN
    Current Employee - Loan Processor in Saint Cloud, MN

Pros

Great Vacation Time, Friendly Co-Workers

Cons

Pay, Nothing else really besides that

8. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Wilmington, DE

I worked at ING Direct (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture. Good coaching

Cons

Can be challenging to move from a sales role. Some pressure to attend team outings

9. "Amazing company until Capital One took over"

Former Employee - Server Administrator in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Server Administrator in Wilmington, DE

I worked at ING Direct full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They cared about their employees, the CEO was amazing, benefits were top-notch.

Cons

There were no CONs to list.

"There are SO many reasons not to join this company...where do I start?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE

I worked at ING Direct full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Offices/facilities in Richmond, VA are beautiful
    - Training is valued and constant
    - Pay structure is accurate

Cons

- If you are not in a clique, you are forced out of the company. Often times, they will not fire people, but will make their lives unbearable until they quit or be "beat up" every day
    - Many people on the management team are not as knowledgeable as the people that report to them; there were multiple instances that my "manager" gave me inaccurate or illegal advice
    - People will little to no experience are hired at greater salaries than those that have a considerable amount of experience
    - There are so many parties thrown by this company and most include a LOT of alcohol; if you are not willing to be drunk at most functions, you will be cast out quickly
    - Managers unfairly rate their employees as poor with no accurate proof of poor performance; I've seen more than one occasion that someone had excellent 360 ratings, but then were told they were not able to build relationships with clients
    - Money is wasted at an alarming rate - parties, dinners, happy hours, unnecessary travel, training expenses, etc. I attended the same week-long training three times because of poor planning.
    - Extra effort is not rewarded. It seems that the only folks that are rewarded for their work are the ones that do the bare minimum to get by
    - Lack of consistency in treatment of employees - some have unlimited time off, unlimited flexibility and are able to pick and choose what work they will do
    - Systems are antiquated and promises to "fix" them never come to fruition

Advice to Management

Management should consider that good employees are not easy to come by and should try to hold on to the ones that are performing well instead of the ones that drink the most at company functions. They should also start to look at the money that is thrown out the window by management. This could be a GREAT company, but someone needs to start getting the management team in line.