IXL Learning Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
IXL Learning CEO Paul Mishkin
Paul Mishkin

Pros
  • I appreciate that even though it hasn't been discussed much explicitly, work-life balance seems important to people here (in 11 reviews)

• The company is growing and there is great opportunity (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • No free food (which isn't that common anyways) (in 7 reviews)

• Office atmosphere is dead (the people who are permitted to work from home do so one or twice per week) (in 4 reviews)

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Math Curriculum Designer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Math Curriculum Designer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job is collaborative and creative. There are always a variety of tasks to work on so you never get bored by doing the same thing all day every day. Everyone at IXL is committed and hardworking and fun to work with. I work remotely and still really feel like I'm part of a team.

Cons

If you take a remote position, it is more difficult to know your colleagues as much as if you're in the office. But the IXL team does a good job bridging this gap with technology anyway.

"Great so far, very supportive employees"

Current Employee - Curriculum Designer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Curriculum Designer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My team and everyone that I've met so far while working here has been very helpful and friendly. The work environment is very collaborative, so it is crucial that everyone be able to work together in a professional manner. The work environment is comfortable, and the perks are nice as well. I have not had to take work home with me at all, so I have my evenings and weekends for what I need or want to do.

Cons

Because the company is growing very rapidly, there are some policies or standard operating procedures which are in flux and being changed, so to some degree this has been a little jarring. However, there is real effort being put into making these changes quickly, easily, and for the benefit of everyone affected by them.

"Some excellent people work at IXL, but management culture needs a pretty serious overhaul"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good benefits
    -Lots of friendly, sociable people in the office

Cons

-Upper management is extremely distant
    -Pay doesn't scale properly with the cost of living in the Bay Area (I'm currently living paycheck to paycheck, and I've been at IXL for years now)
    -The structure of the company squashes out any chance that a low-level employee can have to make a genuine impact. All of the directives come from on high and then trickle down.

Advice to Management

1) Spread the wealth around a bit. The discrepancy in salary between an entry-level engineer and, say, an experienced non-engineer with multiple advanced degrees is just downright upsetting. It sends a pretty strong message to non-engineers about their value (or, rather, lack thereof) to the company, and it definitely affects morale in a negative way.

2) Along these same lines, stop giving directives to the company as though all of the bottom-tier employees are one monolithic entity. Sure, some of us are 23 and fresh out of college. But others have advanced degrees, have years of teaching and project management experience, and have worked in multiple tech jobs. A lot of us are comfortable (and even thrive more as employees) with less oversight.

3) When upper management vacancies appear, promote internally rather than bringing in hotshots from elsewhere. It would send a message to lower-level employees that they can actually advance within the structure at IXL. This would improve both morale and retention.

"Could have been my dream job, if it had been at a different company"

I worked at IXL Learning full-time

Pros

- There are plenty of incredibly smart people toiling away in the cube farms of IXL.
    - The coffee wasn't great, but it sure was free.

Cons

- The pay is not up to industry standards for the region.
    - For a number of different roles, they seemed to like to hire people fresh out of top schools but who had little real-world work experience, so that they would be slower to recognize they were being exploited.
    - Front-line management can often be very inexperienced and inept. I often felt like my manager - who was just a couple years out of school - was speaking to me in quotes they had memorized from an Intro to Management textbook just moments before.
    - Upper management is basically completely inaccessible.
    - Management at all levels plays favorites.
    - The office environment is sterile and demoralizing.

Advice to Management

Stop meddling so much and trust your people to do the jobs you hired them to do.

"Growing quickly..."

Former Employee - Senior Book Developer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Book Developer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at IXL Learning full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Flexible work environment
    Nice office space

Cons

Grew so quickly it was hard to keep up with all the new faces.

"Professional, positive, passionate people!"

Current Employee - Curriculum Designer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Curriculum Designer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great health and other benefits, positive office culture, fantastic products, and creative processes. Everyone is very friendly, hard working, and talented.

Cons

None that I can think of. If I had to pick something to improve, it would an onsite gym facility. Again, very happy!

Advice to Management

Na

8. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people here are fantastic! The culture is positive, warm, and collaborative--people are truly excited to be here. The products we are developing are widely used and support education (truly meaningful work). Fully paid employee benefits (50% paid for dependents). Open PTO & Unlimited Sick Leave. The company is growing.

Cons

(I haven't encountered anything I would consider a con yet.)

"Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My coworkers are fantastic people. I am excited to go to work and see them every day. I get to work on a product that is helping kids learn more and teachers teach better. The hours are fantastic and the location is great.

Cons

No free meals provided on a daily basis

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Best in EdTech"

Current Employee - Education Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Education Consultant in Charlotte, NC

Pros

The company is full of really passionate and intelligent people. You are treated extremely well by everyone that you come in to contact with and everyone works as a team to achieve goals.

Cons

I wish I was located closer to their home office. It was great being able to hear what others are doing each day. I can still do that now, I just need to connect digitally.

"Poor leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at IXL Learning (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Social mission to improve education
    -The office is fairly modern and nice
    -Unlimited vacation and decent benefits
    -Smart and passionate people

Cons

IXL has a toxic culture that anyone who has been at the company for more than 6-8 months can see. It has changed a little for the better as they started to hire (and listen to) more experienced managers, but senior leadership still has little to no power to make a positive impact. Unlike most Silicon Valley companies, IXL does not have a board of directors that is driving strategy and growth. Unfortunately, this also means that the CEO and COO will always be the sole people in charge and that will never change. The CEO and COO make all business decisions based on their feelings and refuse to listen to the smart people that they hired who have valuable insight. There are numerous people who were hired right out of college or after their first job and have never had any other experience, which leads to stagnant growth and a lack of fresh ideas.

IXL will probably survive for the next few years, but does not have the leadership or capacity to disrupt the education market or do anything revolutionary. Now that there are numerous competitors out there, IXL will need to start acting like an innovative company if they want to succeed.

Advice to Management

Give your employees the leadership that they need to help your company succeed. Realize that culture does matter and people will continue to leave and move on to bigger and better things when they realize that they mean nothing to you and you see everyone as replaceable.