IXL Learning Reviews | Glassdoor

IXL Learning CEO Paul Mishkin
Paul Mishkin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "management are yes-men to upper management" (in 10 reviews)

• "No free meals provided on a daily basis" (in 9 reviews)

1. "Review of the first 3 weeks"

Current Employee - Curriculum Designer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Curriculum Designer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Challenging. There's never a dull moment. I spend most of my time solving problems rather than completing simple tasks.
    - Training is efficient. I was trained on different aspects of the job by different team members, allowing me to get to know my role and coworkers better simultaneously
    - Attractive office and location. The office is nice and San Mateo is a great neighboring city!
    - The team. Everyone is extremely nice and helpful. They run a tight, efficient, goal-oriented ship. I have very clear expectations of my role and a clear vision for what we are building.
    - Career growth. Lots of options for how to specialize in the Curriculum Designer role. Many others have been working here for 2+ years, and many have grown in their roles. Forecast looks good!
    - Flexibility. The job is "task based" in that you have weekly goals you are trying to complete. This can range from 1-10+ projects. You start off with 1-2 projects and need to complete them by the end of the week. As long as you are completing your tasks, things are good! Half the team works remote at least part of the week.
    - Efficient meetings. Not too many and they end early if needed.

Cons

- (Potential) Very heady job. Your brain is going to be firing on all cylinders as you troubleshoot problems and create solutions.
    - (Potential) Less face-to-face interaction. You might spend some days working alone at your computer. I have made friends in the office already so I'm happy to take a quick break and chat. There are a variety of clubs (and lots of people in the office in general) so it's definitely possible to avoid this con. Still...sometimes you just need to hunker down and work
    - (Potential) Lunch is not served in the office (the big rage in tech, we have yet to catch up). Walking lunch options are limited but not terrible. A short drive gets you to many more options.

Advice to Management

Keep valuing the hard work of your employees. Find strategic ways to have people work more collaboratively.

2. "Sales"

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time

Pros

Smart Team
    Hard Working
    Great Work/Life Balance

Cons

Often unclear about expectations which leads to confusion

"Good experiences overall"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at IXL Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome tech team and product, friendly and not corporatey as far as people are concerned (most). Care for customers is real. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Should have hired slower and vetted people better on content team to avoid turmoil fixing this. Salaries are midrange for CA, not as high as other tech companies here.

Advice to Management

Keep treating customers and employees well. You have a good thing going as far as business success is concerned. Don’t expand too fast if it means diluting some of the spirit that got you to where you are as a company today.

4. "Exciting and supportive place to work"

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time

Pros

-Mission oriented at all levels of the organization
    -Innovative
    -Collaborative and supportive teams
    -Great benefits and flexibility

Cons

-Starting salary was a bit low

5. "A wonderful workplace environment"

Current Employee - Family Membership Specialist in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Family Membership Specialist in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent support and training
    Great benefits
    Nice office facilities
    Fun company socials

Cons

So far I haven't found anything to report

6. "First month at IXL"

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time

Pros

Very comprehensive training process - even working remote I always feel very supported and encouraged.

Cons

So far I haven't felt any cons; it's been a great transition as I switch careers, I guess if I had to pick something, my starting salary was a little lower than I originally requested. On the flip side, the benefits are very generous.

"Please dont apply here. You deserve better. Look elsewhere if you want to be respected for your time and contribution"

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Smart people
    -Flexible work hours (depends on team - nontech teams rarely get this)
    -There's really not that much unless you lay low and dont get on the bad side of management and you're ok with being mistreated by your employer

Cons

-COO does not listen to different needs from teams other than engineering and will lay off team members who have worked hard to contribute to the company's goals over many years
    -Heavily biased toward "yes men" and engineering team - they raised the base salary for engineers while keeping other position salaries below market
    -Lay offs - after an entire department of curriculum designers worked hard to push various releases and projects, they were laid off. Another non-tech team was laid off due to company "re-org" and no other reasons mentioned
    -A disparity in salary between employees and positions that are not fair
    -HR team consists of 2 full time people who genuinely do not care about your well-being and gossip with other team members
    -Hard to trust even the people you've known for years because you never know if you'll get laid off

Advice to Management

-Start listening to the needs of your employees and stop shocking the entire company with lay offs that dont make any sense.
    -How can even current employees be expected to stay happy and motivated at a company when employee voices' are not heard, and if they complain, they're fired or laid off?

"Stimulating products and company"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's rewarding making a difference in literally millions of students lives not just in the USA but throughout the world. The company is growing a lot and seems to make good decisions. It is one of the largest in edtech and I would say the top when looking at size (impact) plus innovativeness together. Office has private cubes not oppressive open seating like most tech companies.

Cons

I wish we were closer to public transportation. Although most teams are growing, the company downsized an underperfoming one a few months ago and that created negativity because it was a big team. I assume these are the negative reviews. I agree with that decision but others do not.

Advice to Management

Keep prioritizing innovation and doing what it takes to maintain a high level of talent.

"Great stepping stone to learn skills but not worth investing more than a year with the company..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people that work at IXL are amazing, smart and kind. You will not find another group of individuals that are passionate about education than the people that work here at IXL.
    - Good Benefits (Full 100% Medical Coverage, Unlimited PTO)

Cons

Where do I even start?

- EXTREMELY top heavy. All decisions come straight from the top. There is no room to change things at IXL.

-Pay is noncompetitive . If you get an offer, be prepared to go high because they will try to negotiate you down

- COO fires people at a whim. Laid off a whole department (about 60 people) a few months ago.
    - Executive leadership only cares about themselves, everyone is expendable at this company. Doesn't matter how much blood, sweat and tears you put in, I have seen them fire people that have been with the company for a long time without a second thought.

- Be careful about the "positive" reviews you see on here. Many are from new hires that haven't been here long enough and are encouraged to leave glowing reviews on here. It is misleading.

- Problems with teams are not acknowledged. While they "encourage" constructive feedback, nothing will change and if you do it enough...you might end up being on the chopping block.

- Retention rate is LOW. Alot of long time employees are leaving and most people at IXL don't stay longer than 2 years unless you were with the company at the very beginning. Those people that are often in leadership roles now have more to lose.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. You operate in the Silicon Valley and while your benefits may match some of the top companies, the leadership and toxic culture of firing people and letting the executives make all the decision set the company back.

10. "Membership Specialist"

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time

Pros

Being able to be involved in education outside of the classroom. I had great people to train and prepare me for my role. I always feel valued and appreciated. Great benefits.

Cons

I have enjoyed my time at IXL so far. No complaints!