Mission: At IXL Learning, we are passionate about creating and supporting the best educational technology possible. We develop first-of-their-kind products used by millions of learners, from children to adults. People count on us to make learning as effective as it can be, and we take ...
Best Places to Work: 2016 (#42)
I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (Less than a year)
- Challenging. There's never a dull moment. I spend most of my time solving problems rather than completing simple tasks.
- Training is efficient. I was trained on different aspects of the job by different team members, allowing me to get to know my role and coworkers better simultaneously
- Attractive office and location. The office is nice and San Mateo is a great neighboring city!
- The team. Everyone is extremely nice and helpful. They run a tight, efficient, goal-oriented ship. I have very clear expectations of my role and a clear vision for what we are building.
- Career growth. Lots of options for how to specialize in the Curriculum Designer role. Many others have been working here for 2+ years, and many have grown in their roles. Forecast looks good!
- Flexibility. The job is "task based" in that you have weekly goals you are trying to complete. This can range from 1-10+ projects. You start off with 1-2 projects and need to complete them by the end of the week. As long as you are completing your tasks, things are good! Half the team works remote at least part of the week.
- Efficient meetings. Not too many and they end early if needed.
- (Potential) Very heady job. Your brain is going to be firing on all cylinders as you troubleshoot problems and create solutions.
- (Potential) Less face-to-face interaction. You might spend some days working alone at your computer. I have made friends in the office already so I'm happy to take a quick break and chat. There are a variety of clubs (and lots of people in the office in general) so it's definitely possible to avoid this con. Still...sometimes you just need to hunker down and work
- (Potential) Lunch is not served in the office (the big rage in tech, we have yet to catch up). Walking lunch options are limited but not terrible. A short drive gets you to many more options.
Advice to Management
Keep valuing the hard work of your employees. Find strategic ways to have people work more collaboratively.
I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IXL Learning (Morrisville, NC) in October 2017.
First was an email requesting a phone screen. Second, the first phone screen then a few days later the second phone screen. Third, I was called in for a face to face and video conference interview. The company recruiter gave me a tour of the office and then to the conference room.
Check out our Q&A with Elizabeth Kelly, a senior software engineer who talks to us about life at IXL, peaceful solo hobbies, and more! http://glassdoor.com/slink.htm?key=vQh8P
IXLers had a wild time helping out at Carolina Tiger Rescue. Learn more about their day of volunteering here: http://glassdoor.com/slink.htm?key=vQJ1T
Let us know if we're missing any workplace or industry recognition –