Imagine Learning Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Imagine Learning CEO Joe Swenson
Joe Swenson

Pros
  • Family-friendly work environment; supports work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Great people contributes to great culture contributes to great day-to-day working environment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing pains as IL transitions from a start-up to a more corporate atmosphere (in 13 reviews)

• The company is growing quickly; systems and procedures are experiencing growing pains (in 6 reviews)

"The most amazing company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Imagine Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Since I've been working here, it's been over six months, and I've never heard anyone gossip, I've never heard anyone say anything bad about anyone else, I've never heard contention or arguments or bitter discussions, I've never heard anyone get upset or feel personally attacked or offended, I've never heard anyone say anything inappropriate, and I've never heard anyone get harassed or feel disrespected.

Our teams are amazingly productive, and everyone here is really given the opportunity to shine and be their best and be appreciated and recognized for everything they do. This is a very loving and supportive and encouraging company, and the atmosphere makes it hard to not succeed. Everyone I've worked with at Imagine Learning has exemplified these divine attributes. Everyone at this company wants to constantly do good and do the right thing. They all want to be their best, and I've never once seen anything that has indicated otherwise. Whenever one of our team members is experiencing a problem or a challenge or is stuck, everyone I've worked with will drop what they are doing to try to help discuss and resolve the problem. Our teams counsel together to try to make the best decisions, and discussions are productive and fulfilling. I've never worked in an atmosphere where it is so easy to problem solve with others on even very difficult technical issues. When someone has a good idea, everyone is open to hearing about it and finding ways to make that good idea shine. I love the people I work with, and I love what I'm able to work on.

Our management is also amazing. Until I started working at Imagine Learning, I had never before experienced such competent, aware, knowledgeable, conscientious, and high-caliber leadership. Until I started working at Imagine Learning, I had never felt like my opinion mattered so much and to so many people. Until I started working at Imagine Learning, I had never felt like I could feel so valued for my work and contributions. Imagine Learning is the best company I have ever worked for.

Cons

If you don't take your job seriously or if you just want to goof off during the day without being productive or if you don't enjoy what you do for work or if you prefer to complain without ever doing anything about it, this probably isn't the right place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"One size does not fit all"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Imagine Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful and caring work team. I really enjoy the people I interact with regularly, such as customer support, sales reps, etc.

Cons

Diminishing bonuses, no pay raises in spite of hard work. No differentiated salary.

I work in the city as a "customer success manager" and get paid similarly to those who live in a small town. My bonus is tied to whether my sales rep makes his or her quota, without regard to how everyone else works on the team to support and retain clients. Obviously, our sales rep felt awful when no one got their bonus. There's also little opportunity for promotion.

Advice to Management

Take into account cost of living for employees. $60k salary in Arizona cannot be compared to $60k in the Bay Area. Don't expand the company to the point that we're told at our annual review, "sorry, we're scaling back on pay raises across the board this year, even though we're proud of your work." It transforms the assets of this workplace into a disappointing experience.

"Truly a great place to work"

I have been working at Imagine Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has a great vision that it really believes in. The passion for helping kids shows in every decision and in the work everyone does, from content developers, to software engineers, to support, to management. It's clear why we're here and what's important. Beyond that, the company obviously cares about its employees. There's a bonus program, good benefits, monthly catered pizza day, weekly all-hands meeting with food, summer and winter events, company-wide conferences, and team activities. It's a pleasure to work here.

Cons

Sometimes direction can get bogged down in the latest developments. The focus on Agile/Scrum can lead to a lack of innovation. The open floor plan looks good on the outside, but makes development difficult with distractions and the feeling that one is always on display.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the vision. Be more decisive when it comes to architecture and technologies. Keep treating your employees like valued people and things will go right.

"Great challenge"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Remote, OR

Pros

Great hard working gunuine people and worthy cause. Helping students achieve success with reading is worthy for sure.

Cons

I have very little negatives to say. There is a large discrepancy between work load ad pay between sales and support staff. Not a good thing to focus on if you want to stay happy.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people in the field. Stay awesome.

"Company has gotten too large for it's managment structure"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT

I have been working at Imagine Learning (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Wonderful Co-workers. Excellent Company Values. Enjoyable work environment.

Cons

The company no longer offers shares to employees. Employees are less invested in company success. Corporate structure and decision making are fragmented. Change is often made so that a manager can put their 'mark' on a position.

Advice to Management

Implement true change management. Your successful users succeed on your product and graduate to never needing you again. Build a new product that your graduates will be ready to use.

"Leading the Way in Educational Solutions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Pros

Imagine Learning cares for it's staff and the contributions they have to make. The team environment within this company is amazing.

Cons

I have no problems with Imagine Learning at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep up all of the great work.

Aug 22, 2016 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We're glad you are part of our team!

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Imagine Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good people to work with
    - Strong Management
    - Family Friendly

Cons

Imagine Learning essentially has two product management organizations. This can cause some confusion at times about priority of work.

Aug 22, 2016 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to write this review. We are working to align the product direction with the different teams to eliminate confusion. Please speak with your manager or one of the product ... More

9. "Customer Success Manager"

Current Employee - Educational Support Consultant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Educational Support Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Imagine Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Imagine Learning is a terrific company to work for! I have provided customer support in the field for two years, and I am always supported by my colleagues at headquarters. The company truly lives up to its business principals, which include providing excellent customer service. In addition, I truly feel like the company cares about my well being.

Cons

I can't think of any. This is one of the best jobs I have ever had. And I am well into my professional career.

"Company has Lost What Made it Great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I worked at Imagine Learning full-time

Pros

Book of Quarters are a really nice benefit. A quarterly group where you read and discuss a book with relevance to your career, position or ambitions. Sick leave policy is truly unique in the industry and a wonderful benefit.

Cons

The company has lost any sense of cohesive vision and purpose. The two sides of the company (Curriculum that works on the product content, and Technical which works on everything else) are not aligned in any sense of the form. A lot of this confusion comes from the Executive Team, who's representatives to these two areas often don't communicate clearly their goals and needs to the other side; much less to the employees they oversee. Essentially poor management of the product has caused the company to be forced to change drastically. Projects with constant effort of planning and work took forever to even begin to implement due to constant interference from upper management; most of which was ultimately scrapped.( Case in point, the expertise and experience of Project Managers was ignored in favor of un-sustained views of upper managers. Further putting projects behind.) However in place of holding those same people responsible for poor management of the product and its future, the company chose to keep those same people in place and then downsize, keeping employees that could help without raising interference. Imagine Learning has chosen cost as it's driving force. Losing it's creativity, unique design and artistry in favor of slugging it out with many similar cheaply made products.
    Needless to say, this hasn't gone over well; with many people choosing to leave the company for greener pastures, then be stuck with a company that has changed its culture and uniqueness in a market that becomes more crowded every year. Even employees counted on to head or be a driving force in making this effort successful have chosen to leave.

Advice to Management

Get out of your employees way. Your people, especially your middle mangers and project managers know what they are doing. The constant interference by upper management in projects puts them behind and ultimately costs you much much more than you gain.

Aug 22, 2016 – Vice President of Human Resources

We are sorry you left before you had an opportunity to see the success of some of our initiatives! We appreciate your perspective and will continue to seek ways we can improve our internal ... More

"BE CAREFUL...DO YOUR RESEARCH ON THIS ONE!"

Former Employee - ESC in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - ESC in Provo, UT

Pros

The School Leaders, The School Teachers and The Students

Cons

I may be labeled a "disgruntled former employee" but I say this with nothing but love for my colleagues and as a cautionary tale.
    I was unceremoniously dumped from this organization after moving all the way from an out-of-state post. I sold all my furniture, gave up my dog and took the risk, only to be "booted out" the door. I was told that I was disruptive, "un-coachable" and accused of being the "menacing" presence on the team labeled with "misconduct". This all happened after I had a very good 30-day review from my manager at the time.
    My termination was personal. I wasn't given the benefit of the doubt. Once I was out, these "super-religious Mormons" didn't care where I landed. I was in a new state and suddenly found myself unemployed. They are apart of the LDS Mormon church and employees tried to convert me (at all costs). When I refused, things were made difficult for me.
    I also felt singled out because of both my Sexual Orientation and my Race.
    For all the travel costs and the LONG distances to drive to sites, the low-balled salary isn't worth it.
    Sad though because there are people who work here who want to do a good job and my heart goes out to the school children but employees' hands are tied. Many (especially ESCs) are just trying to "make ends meet".
    I'm working on forgiving this company and its people. I have to believe that God has a greater plan.
    BE CAREFUL.

Advice to Management

Promote others besides your own. Not everyone is Mormon. Not everyone is White. Let the staff's diversity reflect the school population.
    Also, why is everyone who makes it to upper-level management coincidentally mostly Mormon?

Jun 8, 2016 – Vice President of Human Resources

We are sad to read your review which reflects pain and frustration. These feelings are understandable to anyone who has ever left a company under difficult circumstances. We take no joy in reading ... More