Insurance Services Office Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Insurance Services Office President and CEO Scott G. Stephenson
Scott G. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Low Stress work environment with good work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

• No daily commute - all Field Reps work from home offices throughout the US (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management and upper management have very different cultures (in 8 reviews)

• There is little to no input from field employees on accounts and changes to various customer requirements (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great place to work."

Former Employee - Field Representative in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Field Representative in Miami, FL

I worked at Insurance Services Office full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent health insurance, flex schedule, no micromanagement, good relationship at all levels, respect.

Cons

Too many ways to show the same information, following the customer;s requirements.

2. "Field Representative"

Current Employee - Field Representative
    Current Employee - Field Representative

I have been working at Insurance Services Office full-time

Pros

No daily commute - all Field Reps work from home offices throughout the US.

Job Security - there seems to be an endless supply of work, most likely because we provide thorough reports for all types of businesses for a small amount of money.

Flexible schedule within a work day, i.e. easy to make personal appointments, pick up children from school. Good work/life balance.

Management leaves you alone as long as you get all of your work done and meet your weekly goals.

The overall benefit package is solid and includes the standard stuff (PTO, health/dental, 401 (K)) and also a work vehicle (Ford Fusion), basic HP laptop, camera and iPhone.

Cons

Just about everything. The job itself is at times rewarding and interesting, and you will see many businesses and buildings that are fascinating. However, usually you are meeting with people who don't want to meet with you and they view you as a 'villain' or police officer there solely to find issues and increase their rates. My analogy of this job is: IRS agent + Data entry Specialist + Police Office = ISO Field Representative.

My least favorite part of the job is setting an appointment. They are required by all customers and it is a nightmarish process. About 50% of the time we are not provided with the proper contact and you can spend hours just trying to find the right person. Lots of cold calling and you will feel like a salesperson trying to get your foot in the door.

We are expected to complete 7-10 building inspections per week, and the reports are very tedious. We are expected to operate like factories that churn out building underwriting reports. Reports will include construction data, fire protection analysis, sometimes 100-200 liability-related questions, a diagram, a roof report, valuations - on and on.

Overtime is rarely approved (I have received less than 20 total hrs of paid OT in 2 years), and we are expected to get all of the work done in a 37.5 hour work week. I have been averaging 45-50 hours since starting in 2015 - approximately 700 hours of unpaid OT - all to get a 2% raise.

The job is 100% production-based measured by a flawed point-based system. You will receive a similar amount of points for inspecting a 300,000 sq. ft. warehouse or a 1500 sq. ft. restaurant. This makes no sense, and the result is poor and incomplete reports since we are not provided with enough time to do a thorough inspection. There is no incentive to go above and beyond.

The salary and annual raises are very low. I have exceeded all expectations and goals, and so far have received one 2% raise for my efforts since 2015 . Raises are entirely based on the flawed production system, not whether you are accurate or efficient. The quarterly bonuses are tiny (~$650/quarter after taxes) and if you take more than a few days off a quarter, you have a small chance of reaching the bonus. Oh, I forgot about the $30 Holiday Bonus. What a joke.

All of the software we use is archaic, and our main software is a DOS-based system from 1989. Seriously. Our CAD drawing software (Apex) is the 2001 version. We use numerous softwares and they do not communicate with each other, which causes us to enter the same information 4 or 5 times on a single order - completely inefficient.

We have nearly 100 different customers, and each customer has unique requests, process and forms. This creates confusion, uncertainty and again, a highly inefficient process.

There is 'Zero' company culture, at least for Field Reps. There are '22' Field Reps on our 'team' and I have met only 6 of them in person over the last two years. There are no meetings or discussions to make the process easier or more efficient. I have spoken to my manager twice in the last 7 months who lives 1100 miles away. Almost all communication is via email.

Over 90% of job openings are in the New Jersey HQ, and there seems to be little to no growth opportunity for Field Reps.

Advice to Management

My goal in writing this review is as a 'Public Service Announcement' - if you have a job offer or are considering applying with this company - DON'T. Management does not care about your ideas to improve the job, the process or the environment. Things do not change, and when you offer up ideas for change to your Manager or Senior Rep you will hear these words: 'That's just the way it is'.

3. "Great Company, but..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Insurance Services Office full-time

Pros

Generally friendly coworkers, hours usually not excessive.

Cons

Small raises, promotions to management frequency much below other companies in the area, HR not very helpful, and the culture is weak.

Advice to Management

Address Cons listed above.

4. "It was fun while it lasted"

Former Employee - Underwriting Support Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Underwriting Support Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Insurance Services Office full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working as the liaison between the clients and field representatives. I also worked from home.

Cons

A lot of jobs were being made obsolete. Clients no longer needed underwriting assistants to place orders, they can do it online on their own.

5. "Great opportunities at Verisk Analytics"

I have been working at Insurance Services Office full-time

Pros

progressive forward looking organization. Good benefits, environment and culture for those wanting to be a contributor and seeking opportunity.

Cons

Tough car commute to Jersey City but public transportation is readily available.

6. "Lack Of Management"

I worked at Insurance Services Office full-time

Pros

Great training and training staff. Trainers are second to none. Very knowledgable and helpful, by far the best division that I was exposed to. Company car, benefits, PTO.

Cons

Management not engaged with field staff. Lack of leadership or direction for new employees. You are lucky to hear from manager once a month and then usually to question you about an issue in field which they have given no guidance prior to.

Advice to Management

Train your managers or hire managers that have some people skills and are engaged with their employees. Take an active interest in making sure your employees are successful.

7. "Very good company"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Insurance Services Office full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Goof benefits and salary could be improved

Cons

Not too many friendly people

8. "Great work from home opportunity"

Current Employee - Field Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Field Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Insurance Services Office full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Work from home
    - Company Car
    - Good Benefits
    - Little to no supervision of work as long as you complete your weekly goals
    - Make your own schedule
    - Steady job

Cons

The only job you will most likely ever do is be a field rep forever. There is little to no input from field employees on accounts and changes to various customer requirements. The number of surveys a week does not take into account the complexity of the surveys. The salary is not very high and generally will increase by less than 5% a year.

Advice to Management

More career advancement opportunities for field representatives.

9. "Good work life balance"

Pros

Good work life balance, flexible work hours

Cons

very limited growth opportunity as I can tell

Advice to Management

Nothing

"ISO Field Rep"

Pros

Excellent company to work for, they provide excellent in depth training and support majority of the work is conducted in your home office. Allows for flexible scheduling of your time

Cons

I do not have any specific negative views. You work independently from your home office and without strong self motivation and time management your work will suffer.