Intercity Technology Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 21, 2019

3.7
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "A great place to work and with opportunities to succeed - there is a great list of employee benefits too" (in 5 reviews)

• "Nice Canteen , Some Very Nice People" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "The senior management team and HR are not quick enough in booting all the negative staff out" (in 3 reviews)

• "There has been lots of change, which has had its issues and some people may have found it unsettling" (in 2 reviews)

1. "A great place to work"

I have been working at Intercity Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Supportive of future development - I have fairly frequent one to ones with my manager and have my future goals clearly laid out for me, all of them are reasonable and I leave those meetings feeling motivated rather than feeling like I have been told off for an hour. Obviously this may vary from manager to manager but a lot of people I have spoken to feel the same way. There is a great scheme which recognizes people from all different departments when they have done good work, which I like because it doesn't just feel like anyone gets left out.
    - Friendly atmosphere - There are a lot of events and little competitions which is always nice, especially since we are all spread across the country so it makes us feel more connected.
    - Always a lot going on and real focus on the future - The company is moving in a clear direction which we get updated on frequently.
    - Really great senior management ( well at least the senior management that I have worked with have been really supportive).

Cons

-If you work at one of the other offices then the trek to the Birmingham HQ can be a pain but most roles are flexible and most people in other offices don't have to travel there too much.

Advice to Management

Keep future plans less complex, sometimes its better to promise a bit smaller and deliver better. Than to come out with a really complex plan which has more chance of over running. There is always more time to continue to develop; it doesn't have to be massive leaps all at once, we understand things sometimes take time.

2. "Best Company I've had the opportunity to be apart of"

Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Intercity Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture works in positive collaboration and the environment is very supportive; I feel a part of a family within work. They adhere to their company values and most importantly, have fun and create innovative solutions for our customers.

The business is currently undergoing internal transformation and as a result, a lot of changes (to our department in particular). However we have seen improvements to project management processes and have developed efficient ways of working.

If things aren't going well, there is always support that I can go to which has gotten me back on track. This has definitely been a key part of my journey so far.

Cons

Not every employee seems as motivated as others across the organisation.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to employees who provide suggestions on how to improve internal procedures, such as introducing in Agile methodologies.

"Really great people and space to grow"

I have been working at Intercity Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment that allows you do perform your tasks as you see fit and is not so goal oriented that they forget about the individuals.
    Fantastic initiatives that include charity fundraising , internal campaigns and customer events.
    If you identify yourself with the company values this really is the place for you.

Cons

Bringing three companies together it's not an easy task and a lot more integration is needed.

Advice to Management

Choose a direction and stick to it making all the departments fall in line.

"Each year things become more interesting"

Current Employee - Commercial Team in Bolton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Commercial Team in Bolton, England (UK)

I have been working at Intercity Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are interested in telecoms and IT then the portfolio of in-house private cloud services underpinned by traditional reseller products, sold to commercial, public and third sector customers, means you'll never have a dull day.

The company packs a punch well above its weight, with a customer base won directly and through a Tier 1 carrier, that continues to grow and expand in vertical market reach.

Value-based, target account selling methods, backed up with technical pre-sales and whoever is required (whatever their role) to help win new business and keep existing customers happy.

Cons

Travelling to the Birmingham HQ isn't everyone's cup of tea, although flexible working is available and there are offices in Bolton, Elstree and Oakham.

Advice to Management

Stick to your guns!

"I genuinely am happy to come to work each day"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Intercity Technology full-time

Pros

The vast majority of my colleagues are really friendly, motivated, positive people who cultivate a lovely environment to work in. I truly enjoy coming in to work every day. The social events are a highlight! The work is challenging & hard work doesn’t go unnoticed in my experience. My line manager truly cares about the progression of each member of the team & does their best to help me achieve my professional goals. Solution focused ideas are listened to and implemented. Recently some encouraging changes have been made hierarchically and in terms of processes that make me even more excited to see where we are going as a business. Notably the refurb of the Birmingham office is super exciting, especially after seeing the concrete plans for this at the all company event.

Cons

Realistically no company is perfect. A few disengaged colleagues who have been in their roles for years are still stuck in their ways which can be frustrating when entering into a cutting edge technology company. However the majority of people are eager to keep up with the market & work towards modernising the way we work.

Advice to Management

Some really encouraging changes have been made recently, I would love to see us moving this direction more and more in future. Value the talented individuals we have who go above and beyond.

"Inside view on Intercity Technology"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Intercity Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People, Portfolio, Culture of the business is very good. O f course there have been mistakes made in the last few years but so has every business given the transformation from 3 companies into one in our fast moving marketplace.

Leadership now seems better, COO is making a real difference to how the business operates and CEO is back more involved.

Still a long way to go but when talking to customers our story is astounding, we just need to do more of it.

Cons

Leadership and focus has been a problem, but that seems on the right path. Once the Head Office is completed and Sales improves the growth potential is huge.

Advice to Management

Keep being honest, commit to work as hard as the staff do, be transparent and we will give our best.

"A journey of improvement"

I have been working at Intercity Technology full-time

Pros

Intercity has some great people and perks - for me that's the major pros of the company. None of my other employers have put so much emphasis on creating a fun workplace and team building - there's lots of social events to get involved with, the pub quiz is my favourite. Everyone gets along and we all have good fun at the socials. We also have pick and mix sweets on a Friday, hot chocolate and marshmallows and cereal for in the Birmingham office - I've had to pay in some of my previous jobs for a cup of tea!

In terms of the company itself, its continually looking to improve and develop, and my manager spends a lot of time on my personal development. The leadership team are always friendly and make an effort to get to know you and what you are interested in.

I'm not going to say it's perfect, there's still a lot of improvements to be made, but it is one of the best companies I've worked for.

Cons

There has been a lot of change recently as they made two acquisitions - some people have found it unsettling. It's clear as a business, we are on a journey at the moment - I can see some really positive changes and think it's better to work for a company with ambition, than one that becomes irrelevant.

Advice to Management

Keep up the communication - looking forward to hearing more at the conference coming up.

"Brilliant Team, Big Investment"

I have been working at Intercity Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My team are brilliant, simply put we know we can all rely on one another if one of us is struggling. My interactions with senior leadership have all been really positive and after noticing that I have skills and talents in areas outside of my remit I've been given new responsibilities and projects to undertake - which I really enjoy. It's the little things that mean a lot - after completing an important task in a very short timeframe I was sent a beautiful bouquet of flowers and after helping out with some events I was sent a voucher just to say thanks. The social aspects of the role are great, with a huge chunk of budget put towards engagement. There's also a multimillion pound refurbishment going on in the head office which will create an incredible work environment. Some recent senior leadership changes have also had a really positive impact on morale. It's not perfect, but I think Intercity are doing a lot of things right.

Cons

Sometimes there's a lack of clarity in regards to expectations and sometimes there's been a tendency to be 'cloak and daggers' when things aren't going well. I think more honestly with these things shows trust so that's certainly and area of improvement. I also think consistency among managers could be better - some managers fully support flexible working/WFH and focus on outputs rather than 'facetime' in the office whereas others still have this view that if you're out of the office by 5pm you're not putting the work in, which I think is unfair. Again, that's the minority but it's certainly something that should be looked at.

Advice to Management

More honesty - good or bad. Most of us can tell when things aren't going to plan so keep us in the loop and let us help with plans for improvement. Keep a focus on engagement and a supportive work environment and the rest will take care of itself.

9. "Good vision, mediocre delivery"

I have been working at Intercity Technology full-time

Pros

Great team dynamic and colleague support

Cons

Lack of senior leadership reality.

Advice to Management

Speak to those that speak to customers. Understand real world challenges.

10. "I can see clearly now the darkness has gone..."

Pros

They paid poorly on time.

Cons

Sales managers who bully their staff.

Nothing is confidential!

They will show you the door if your face doesn’t fit.

Management who only think about their own needs.

I will be gone soon. Another good employee leaves due to the bullying culture.

Advice to Management

Nothing at all, you are doing a great job (NOT).