Intercity Technology Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 26, 2018

3.4
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Nice Canteen , Some Very Nice People" (in 5 reviews)

• "A great place to work and with opportunities to succeed - there is a great list of employee benefits too" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "The senior management team and HR are not quick enough in booting all the negative staff out" (in 3 reviews)

• "overall a disgusting work environment" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Huge opportunity for growth"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Intercity Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent senior management, following some internal restructuring
    Opportunities to have an impact on the business (if you're willing!)
    Huge period of growth and transformational change for the business
    Lots of proactive social activities for staff
    Promises of greater efforts towards internal training
    Amazing people who stop at nothing to get the job done

Cons

Lacking internal training / onboarding program
    (Previously) top heavy org where communication was lost both up and down the hierarchy in a complex management structure

Advice to Management

As the workforce shifts towards the Millennial generation, who are typically less driven by wages: Invest in purpose, invest in your values and most importantly invest in your people. Share your vision often.

"And so it starts again"

Current Employee - Sales in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Intercity Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None, none at all. Well I am still there so that is something.

Cons

I sat down with a former colleague but current friend and we counted over 50 colleagues that had left in a 2 year period. If the latest accounts are correct then basically 25% of the company has left. And we spent a million quid getting rid of them whilst paying woefully under qualified directors to lead us nowhere. The board would be a laughing stock if they weren’t so dangerous! A company operating on fear and paranoia, a CEO and his dad chairman who don’t care anymore and a rather strange individual in charge of sales. This said individual has gotten away with causing incalculable damage to morale and performance whilst no doubt taking home a shed load. He will happily throw anyone under the bus and drive over them himself if it means he gets to stay a bit longer. No one trusts him, no one really likes him and the knock on effect is that there is no faith in any of the remaining leadership. He made a big song and dance when he joined about creating a £100m business in three years! Ha, not even half way there so if he has any sense of personal responsibility he would do the honourable thing instead of blaming everyone else. Awful leadership that is sending good people running and creating an anxiety riddled work environment.

Stop trying to be the next big thing in tech and get back to basics. We used to have a portfolio of 3rd party products to rival any competitor and we wrapped it up in an industry leafy customer services. Now? Touch stuff that has no footprint. Confused customers who don’t know what we sell anymore. Data centres no one wants or needs. No product strategy to make us stand out and no real plan to go beyond where we are.

Advice to Management

Sell up and go. Daisy would snap you up and there are plenty of others out there doing a buy and build so cash in. The only other alternative is the CEO finally realises he needs to get a grip and force out the bad management he has surrounded himself by.

"I am so depressed"

I have been working at Intercity Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None at all apart from the few good people who work there.

Cons

Awful company where senior management will bully you of your face doesn’t fit. Management who are puppets on strings while the powers above sit back and make them do their dirty work. What comes around goes around.

Advice to Management

None whatsoever not like you will listen.

"Very Strange Place"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at Intercity Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Money. If money is the only thing that matters to you, then this would suit you.

Cons

A very strange place to work. They sell out of date products as "cutting edge". They employ Drachonian management techniques, but cover them with a facade of modernity. A company that has no direction, appalling bullying from senior management and whose staff cower at the bosses while they're in the building, and laugh at them when they're playing golf. A very very strange work environment, unless you've been warped in from the Victorian era!

Advice to Management

Pointless, it won't be listened to, the "Managers" know everything already in their own minds.

Nov 6, 2018 – Talent Attraction Advisor

Hi, Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I would like to address a few points. You list your former title as 'sales manager' - we haven't had anyone in that type of role for quite some time, so... More

"Free Speech , Career Advancement Suppressed , Negative Reviews Suppressed just laughable, another Day in a Hell Hole !"

Current Employee - Sales in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Intercity Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice Canteen , Some Very Nice People

Cons

Less pay and work expectation too high. Management is far interested in making money and putting pressure to get more work done with less resources. No procedures and instructions. Bunch of liars. Non-technical managers are always trying to prove that know technical stuff when they know nothing and trying to behave and prove they are bosses.

Stay away unless you are jobless !

Advice to Management

Just Leave with your millions and give honest people a chance

"Avoid - just avoid!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at Intercity Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Local if you live in Birmingham

Cons

Too many people being in their roles for far too long without the appetite to progress. Longevity leads them to influence strategy without the knowledge or foresight but to protect what they have.
    UK distrusting NL operations and failure to capitalise on synergy and failure to work together. This lands squarely at the CEO and MD (who were best mates and are).

Advice to Management

Senior managers just milking it and have far too much power than their station. CEO to weak to make the changes necessary and influenced by his Dad the uber lord.
    CEO and MD to pally pally - don't have a clue and not strong enough to make touch calls.
    Avoid as it is a family business with too much influence from a overbearing father.

7. "A great company but not without issues"

I have been working at Intercity Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture
    The board have a real sense of directions with the current line of products
    The company likes to look after the staff and does make the effort
    Some opportunity for growth
    Good lower management

Cons

Not enough time and care to develop employees beyond the sales department
    Mid-level directors seem to add little value and seem obstructive
    Pay is not inline with current market - Needs to be rectified soon before more staff leave
    Benefits package is not realistic and not ideal for everyone
    Friction between the three companies that were causing more issues
    Several staff members in all offices having a very negative view point dragging other staff down

Advice to Management

Invest in your staff, give them the tools and knowledge they need to flourish and sell/support your customers.
    Complete a full pay review and introduce structured pay schemes so it is more clear what has to be done to gain an increase.
    Offer more relevant employee benefits for all employees.
    Fight for your staff while they are here not just as they are about to walk out the door.

8. "Good Experience"

I worked at Intercity Technology full-time

Pros

- Lovely co-workers
    -Good opportunity
    -Great summer party

Cons

- Lack of diversity in tasks
    -Job was repetitive

Apr 24, 2018 – Talent Attraction Advisor

Hi,
    Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences - we do appreciate it as it allows us to constantly improve and make Intercity a great work environment. I can see that you are... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Intercity Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very positive work environment, focus on continual improvement and really friendly/proactive team - right up to board level

Cons

Lots of plans for further development of HQ, sooner the better

Apr 24, 2018 – Talent Attraction Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts with us. We are always open to feedback and suggestions for improvement as show with our Best Companies focus groups. As always, please keep... More

"A company ready to listen"

I have been working at Intercity Technology full-time

Pros

A great place to work and with opportunities to succeed - there is a great list of employee benefits too.

Cons

Change can be painful for some people so manage this sympathetically.

Advice to Management

Listen to feedback from staff and try to act upon it - if you can't tell them why.