Intronis Reviews | Glassdoor

Rick Faulk

1. "Good company"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Chelmsford, MA

Pros

I got opportunity working on diverse projects. Good work life balance and excellent work environment and company culture

Cons

poor vacation plan, too far to work

Advice to Management

good job to CEO

"Eh"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Braintree, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Braintree, MA

I worked at Intronis (More than a year)

Pros

They provide jobs to lesser educated people that may need a good paying job.

Cons

Employees are an expense and recycled like a rotating door. Their logo describes what they do to their employees.

Advice to Management

Keep the people that are dedicated and making you money instead of canning them for doing well just to save a buck on a cheaper employee the following month.

"Not afraid to say what I think"

Former Employee - Corporate Facilitator in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Corporate Facilitator in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Intronis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I left Intronis rather abruptly a few months ago and as much as I would like to have the last disgruntled word and as much as past disgruntled employees would love to see me blast Intronis, I simply must rise above the fray and write an honest appraisal of a company I absolutely LOVED!!
    Intronis, overall, treated me well. I was given so many opportunities to grow and affect change within my profession and for that I will be eternally grateful. Unfortunately for me, there was an atmosphere of clear delineation between what I could personally affect as an individual contributor and the top executives that I served. Given the chance, I would have encouraged the leaders to listen more to what the individual contributors were saying, or better yet, not saying and put less emphasis on the “perceptions” of management. Perhaps this will change and Intronis will have even better success!
    As for the people at Intronis, you couldn’t find any better! The atmosphere was fun and very creative, but sometimes the investment in fun outweighed the investment in professional programs.
    If you’re thinking of joining Intronis, I encourage you to do so. The company has the capacity to do great things……they just need to have their ear to the ground, understand what’s going on with the people and encourage open dialogue so change can happen effectively and cohesively.

Cons

Gossip - Management just shouldn't do it. It erodes the very value they are trying to encourage - Trust. Besides, gossip isn't pretty and will always backfire in the end, especially when it surrounds personal information shared in confidence.

Advice to Management

Listen to what's not being said

"A culture that will be hard to walk away from"

I have been working at Intronis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Excellent people. You'll find a diverse range of personalities, most on the odd but interesting side. I've made many friends and expect to be in touch with them long after we part ways professionally.

* Autonomy (depending on department). I've been lucky to be part of a team of smart, independently motivated folks. We are given control over our own work, and rather than being micromanaged are treated as trusted advisers by our manager. My perception is that this differs by department, but on the engineering and product side there is a lot of self-management - maybe less so for sales or support positions.

* Free food, ping-pong, and various activities throughout the year. It's nice to have things to look forward to in the office.

* Talent recognition and room for advancement. In my experience, talent and hard work are recognized and rewarded (again, department dependent), either through raises, promotions, spot awards, or "employee of the month" type awards. I've seen several people promoted from within (even to an executive level), so if you have the drive there is opportunity for you.

Cons

* Pay is lower than average. This may be just my type of position, but I am underpaid for market value. I walked away from an offer at another company offering 40% more, and have heard similar numbers from recruiters. It makes sense to a degree because it's in the suburbs and still being funded ("long-running" startup), but they do pay less than average for some positions (I hear the higher-up sales folks are doing well though)

* Location. For me, getting to Chelmsford is a pain, and my commute is around an hour. I wish they still had the Boston office. If you live in southern NH or northern mass, it's probably a great location.

* A few members of the executive team seem to serve little purpose and/or cause some problems with morale. I don't work under any of them, so my experience is mostly hearsay or gathered from how they behave in meetings. The CEO seems to have a special relationship with one exec who may or may not be making real contributions to the business. This employee keeps being put up for "exec of the year" type awards, but without employees understanding their role or value this is just alienating and morale-busting.

Advice to Management

Pay some attention to the employee perception of execs or you risk alienating them. Attributing a department's work to them doesn't show value, find a way for them to show value themselves.

"Fantastic people and work environment"

I have been working at Intronis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Forward-looking executive team
    - Great office atmosphere (friendly people, free snacks, games)
    - Strong product that is growing into a market leader
    - Great prospects for future business growth
    - Impressive benefits package. I'm not sure what everyone else was making but I was compensated very well and my benefits were fantastic.
    - The company covers the cost of your professional training/certification, a very nice perk

I realized I've been speaking so highly of Intronis to my personal friends since leaving the company that it would make sense to commit this to writing in a review. I was at Intronis for about 18 months on the sales and marketing side, and I enjoyed it tremendously. I came to Intronis from a truly terrible company and it was a major culture shock for me to be around a management team that actually delivered on its commitments and took care of its employees.

Things were bumpy for a while. The company transitioned to a new CEO and hired several new executives in my time there. There was also a sales layoff at the start and some hard decisions.

But things settled down as they made a GREAT hire in Rick Faulk. He's a culture-first CEO who commits to investing in the company's employees and product. He is very forthright and transparent with his plans to grow the company into the undisputed leader in its market, and I've seen him put his money where his mouth is by ramping engineering and development hires, being generous with employee compensation, and setting out a new vision for the company product.

It was rewarding to be in the trenches as the company revamped its sales and marketing approach, and Intronis has truly taken a 180 from when I started. The marketing is bold, the sales team is efficient, the product is progressive and no longer playing catch-up, and support is better than ever. It was a very hard decision for me to leave the company but it was the right decision for me.

At the end of the day, I'm proud of my time at Intronis and would highly recommend it to anyone looking to work with an inclusive, supportive team and learn a lot about an interesting and important technology.

Cons

- The location was rough on me as I lived about an hour away. If they had kept the Boston office I might still be working here.
    - Not a fan of the open office plan. Just not for me. I prefer a little more privacy.
    - Could do with a little more flexibility in terms of hours and remote work, although this is something I think most companies are still trying to figure out.
    - Some people had a much harder time with work/life balance than I did. I know a few people who seemed to work around the clock and I think the company could do a better job identifying, communicating with and supporting these people, who might not feel like their extra work is rewarded.

Advice to Management

Keep making bold decisions, keep rewarding innovative ideas, and keep treating your employees right. Consider connecting more with each employee on work/life balance issues so everyone knows what the parameters are. And if it's at all possible, consider re-opening that Boston location. The location can be a big sticking point and it doesn't have to be.

"If the company kitchen and food is the most important thing to you---this is the place for you! If not, run!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Intronis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Lots of food and food-related events
    * Some great and smart people.
    * Decent product
    * Lots of food!
    * You can work hard and contribute a lot in this flat-organization
    * Did I mention the food?
    * Potentially a great starter environment

Cons

* No privacy (totally open environment)
    * A corporate culture dominated by the HR department and the kitchen
    * Employees are resources
    * Don't expect to make lasting relationships with many people
    * The management is not very enlightened; sort of old-school DEC
    * Apparently, the lunch & learn programs are mandatory
    * Don't pay very well, except for Sales (where you can potentially earn a lot)
    * Top-notch, high-level results are expected daily. Don't expect to earn points or kudos. Best you can do is break even.
    * Management isn't interested in your ideas. You are just there to implement their ideas
    * The product is not as good as they think it is (especially compared to competitors)
    * Some of the upper management isn't as smart as they think they are

After I was let go more than one recruiter told me they wish they could have warned me about the place.

Advice to Management

Why offer advice when no one is interested in listening?

"Stop filling Glassdoor with fake reviews."

Current Employee - Employee in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Employee in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Intronis full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Intronis is a good place to work if you've just graduated and live NW of Boston. It is a good resume padder. Free snacks. Pong pong table. Intronis has much potential to be a good company!!!!

Cons

Seems like no matter who they bring in at executive level, all end up being full of BS and unable to focus on making Intronis great. Rick, you are a smart man and have the right philosophy. Be daring!!!!!

Advice to Management

Price per GB for back up will continue to dwindle. Focus on making the Portal the place that MSPs want to manage their data protection, add services that MSPs will want to sell via Intronis, and get rid of the useless executives who know nothing about disaster recovery and taking care of MSPs. Rick, you are a great executive, remove those that offer nothing to the benefit of Intronis, and replace them with ones who have knowledge of our biz. We will RULE!!!

"Take Account Executive position"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Intronis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're looking for a job to break into the software industry or sales - Intronis is your place. They offer great training especially for sales - both internal training and offsite training. Great work environment - ping pong, treadmill desk, bubble hockey, and free snacks. The manager for the AE team is awesome! Company is doing well. CEO is really driving the product and most importantly company morale.

Cons

AE job in particular involves a lot of smiling and dialing. Processes for SFDC can be more streamlined. Database could be cleaner.

Advice to Management

"overall transparency and culture of this company makes a great place to work !!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Intronis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Intronis is a young, fun place to work, strong product in the market place. You work hard but are rewarded and recognized for your hard work (not the case in a lot of sales positions) The new CEO Rick Faulk has brought a lot of positive changes to the company. The vision and future of the company is strong.
    Work/life balance is a priority in this company and we now have matching 401K !!! They really do listen to their employees !!

Cons

I haven't come across any as of yet.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees !!!

"Mass Layoff Doesn't Sit Well With the Future of This Company"

Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I worked at Intronis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Sales Team. Motivating Upper Management. Good Pay.

Cons

Poorly executed mass layoff of majority of sales team. Including mostly top performers.

Advice to Management

Get out while you can.