Itron Reviews | Glassdoor

Itron President & CEO Philip Mezey
Philip Mezey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Amazing things going on, in fact WAY too much!"

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

We are doing amazing things at Itron. It is some of the most interesting work I could imagine doing in this field.

Cons

Management does not understand the extremely complication nature of our technology. They think everything is easy, but in fact we have some of the most complex technology on the planet. It is the requirements that are complicated, not just the way we implemented it. This means they think everything should also come very fast, which is very far from the truth.

Advice to Management

Finally realize you are asking us to work miracles, and that takes time. In fact what we are doing here is more complicated than anything Apple does. When you ask for 5 man years of work in 1 year, and also expect high quality, you have a paradox. When you ask why we don't get as much done you ask, that is the reason. All the stuff being done to make us work faster is actually addressing the wrong problem. The most notable one would be shifting engineering to India, which has not worked well at all and has been an enormous burden on the company, which clearly isn't visible to those outside of engineering that actually has to work with them.

2. "Associate Design Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Union, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Union, SC

I have been working at Itron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It offers various challenges to make you a more competitive employee.

Cons

Takes a while to transition teams to new tasks.

3. "R&D Developer"

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Itron has a more than reasonable flexible/reasonable work/life schedule. When things need to be done or fixed, the pressure is on, but thankfully this is not a constant. If you can complete your required tasks and still work from home once a week, more power to you.

The technology and market are interesting with lots of potential for growth.

Cons

Communication from management has improved, but the market is very much in flux, so it can feel like they are not on top of things.

Salaries aren't terrible, but could be higher frankly. (bonuses can make up for this )

Very little room for growth, and very middle management heavy.

4. "Great place to work"

I worked at Itron full-time

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Large company, but the upper management makes you feel like family. Plenty of ways to move up, if you want..

Cons

The shifts were 12 hours and very hot where I was located. The cafeteria is only open to weekday employees, leaving weekend out.

Advice to Management

Keep making the on the floor, feel like they're appreciated. That alone can make a difference in a company.

5. "Great environment!"

I have been working at Itron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, inspiring mission and a lot of flexibility.

Cons

None to report! It's a great company.

Jul 10, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your positive feedback!

6. "Slow and stable and a bit outdated"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liberty Lake, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liberty Lake, WA

I worked at Itron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Average to good salary and benefits. A stable employer that many people stay at for a long time.

Cons

A lot of people have been with the company for a long time and a fair percentage of their skills seem to have peaked quite a while ago resulting in some outdated thinking and technology. The company can be very slow to react or change anything. Do not look here for rapid career advancement, there are a lot of people in line ahead of you and this is a company where you need to stick it out for the long haul to advance.

Advice to Management

Be a lot more engaged with your staff.

Jul 17, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We appreciate the fact that we do see a high number of employees who have been with us for many years, but we also understand the skill gap. We... More

"Financial Analyst"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Itron full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People care about you and your development. They do a lot of volunteering and fitness programs. Overall very interesting industry with a great company.

Cons

Difficult work but it is very fulfilling. It can have the vibe of a big company where you can't get in contact with others very easily. But the pros of working here outweigh the cons.

Advice to Management

They are doing everything right!

Jun 15, 2017 – University Recruiting Program Manager

Thank you for your positive feedback! We are glad to hear you are enjoying everything Itron has to offer!

"Not a bad place to work"

Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Oakland, CA

I worked at Itron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is doing some cool work in an important sector of the utilities industry. The technology is exciting and kept me interested in my work.

Cons

At the time I was there, management seemed to be having an identity crisis, and it was difficult to get a grasp on priorities... which resulted in sudden priority changes. In the training and documentation organization, we were constantly in a reactive status, which made laying in a good foundation for successful training programs extremely difficult. Management was sometimes promoted due to seniority rather than competence, which created leadership gaps and reduced morale.

Advice to Management

Aligned organizations should be working together, and not struggling toward conflicting priorities. Management positions should be based on high-performers and then supported with appropriate leadership training.

Jun 15, 2017 – University Recruiting Program Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. We are constantly making efforts in all of these areas and hearing this perspective is so important to our continued growth.

9. "Over all a good place to work"

Current Employee - Back Up Team Leader/Operator in West Union, SC
    Current Employee - Back Up Team Leader/Operator in West Union, SC

I have been working at Itron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is very good

Cons

Requires a lot of over time

"Boring place and depressing attitudes"

Former Employee - Associate Design Engineer in West Union, SC
    Former Employee - Associate Design Engineer in West Union, SC

I worked at Itron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

decent pay, especially for this area
    manufacturing and R&D under one roof
    relaxed work environment much of the time

Cons

It's located in West Union SC and there is hardly anything to do there
    There isn't very many other places to work in the area so be careful buying a house
    The products they make are pretty boring to the general public
    Many or most of the people there are pretty old
    they don't have a fitness center and wont let you throw frisbee in the grassy fields

Advice to Management

give more incentive to meet goals and deadlines
    work closer with the design engineers and notice who is actually doing the work

Jun 15, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback. We do try and take care of our employees through compensation and regular activities and events to provide a rewarding and engaging... More