Kaycan Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Lionel Dubrofsky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best job I've ever had"

Former Employee - Customer Service Team Lead in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Team Lead in Columbus, OH

I worked at Kaycan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent hours, work/life balance, helpful coworkers and lots of support from home office. I've never been treated better. I miss it every day. I had a lot of autonomy and felt respected.

Cons

There's a lot of "learn as you go" but it made me a better problem solver.

Advice to Management

Treat your salesmen better and you'll have better results and retention.

"Family Owned and Regulated"

I worked at Kaycan full-time

Pros

Adequate insurance coverage and vacation time.

Cons

Low pay and no room for upward movement.

"Privately held"

I worked at Kaycan (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good health care program. Flat organization. Employees have (stated) access to management all the way up to the president and CFO. Great company culture for Canadian employees where they have good market share (it's a Canadian company). Not as good for US employees.

Cons

Lack of product innovation and marketing programs. Actual customers not aligned with desired customers. No long term strategic plan. Lots of turnover so employees and customers are constantly getting to know new players. Big achievements expected in a short amount of time. Sales management and marketing inadequately staffed. Poor marketing support.

Advice to Management

Aim to reduce turnover and slow down expectations. Deliver your strategic message from the top directly to the employees. Give them the vision, not just the sales budgets/expectations.

"Depressing!!"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

They have great benefits!! Great employee's.

Cons

Very negitive working envirment. Non competitive pricing, No one that I have spoken to for this company was happy in their job. You are driven like cattle and verbally punished when you do not meet their expectations. Though this company is very successful, it is run like a mom and pop company.

Advice to Management

They have a wonderful sales staff, inside as well as out. Let them be successful and have budgets that are at least, some what reasonable!! Make the sales meeting positive, not embrassing and humilating to the sales staff. In all my years in sales, I have attentended 2 sales meetings. Both were the worst that I have ever seen. This company could increase it's sales by at least 25% a year just by treating their employees better.

"Kaycan"

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Kaycan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good, quality product. Good balance between work and family.

Cons

management does not work well with field. Montreal office dictates everything, even if something won't work in your market.

Advice to Management

Let the field people do their jobs, not so much micro-management

6. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Kaycan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good hours. Easy to get hold of owners of the company. The manager is easy to get along with.

Cons

Have a negative image in the area. Samples are hard to get.

7. "sales"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Kaycan full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

very good company to work for

Cons

there is no negative coment about the company

Advice to Management

some times they should listen to their loyal employees

"Revolving door"

Former Employee - Head Office in Pointe-Claire, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Head Office in Pointe-Claire, QC (Canada)

Pros

Some really nice co-workers, all of whom deserve better.

Cons

This is a family owned and operated business that will never retain its best employees due to a combination of extremely poor management, and lack of respect for its workforce.

Working here, you will learn nothing, because there is no leadership nor guidance. Job titles are meaningless, and job descriptions are non-existent.

The place is run on a "just do what you're told" mentality, and if you dare to answer back or ask questions you can expect to head for the exit, because they don't like that.

Pretty early on you will see that this is a temporary endeavour, and that you're on borrowed time.

Honestly, don't even bother.

There is no work/life balance. You come in and do your best but you will be berated and made to feel worthless because the inefficient management cannot stand being outdone by people better qualified and equipped to do things properly.

This is why so many people leave after short spells.

The Quebec Labour Act outlines a simple set of standards that companies are to adhere to, but this law is flouted here and employees are bullied, harassed, and verbally abused.

The careers section of the new website looks impressive but none of those people praising the company actually work there, and the names are made up.

Management will not encourage you, nor empower you, despite what they claim, and there is no communication, and certainly no training. You are expected to figure things out for yourself.

Even in desperation, you should not consider a career here, as you will not get one.

It is easy to see which reviews have been written by the management, and which are from real (former) employees who have had the misfortune of experiencing this catastrophic abyss of sycophantic obsequiousness in all its misery.

Advice to Management

Stop being so cheap.

Kaycan Response

Dec 6, 2016 – President

Thank you for your feedback. We are committed to creating a transparent and collaborative environment for all our employees, so I am disappointed to hear about some of your experiences. We value... More

"Secure Company Continuously Growing"

Current Employee - Customer Service Administrator in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Administrator in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Kaycan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hours are great, Monday to Friday, lots of hours to spend with your family.
    Don't be afraid to ask questions, lots of support from any department. Been here five years or more, looking foward to many more years. my workplace is my work family working as a team we grow together each day! Our focus is providing excellent customer service satisfaction!

Cons

Cosmetics are not a priority, could use some upgrades, Show the company's success,
    Exterior and interior could use a facelift.

Advice to Management

Thank you for the opportunity to grow with such a successful company!

"My experience at Kaycan has been beneficial to me in many ways."

Current Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Kaycan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work here is the people you get to work with first of all, and our customers appreciate our top notch service, which is truly one of the highest qualities that we provide here at Kaycan, along with our latest siding innovations with our Helios DaVinci siding.

Cons

Challenges of working here at Kaycan is the low budget for maintenance up keep, much like many companies, however I also believe that if u are the type of person that finds them selves a handyman and a bit of a "Magiver" Then this job is for you.

Advice to Management

Give back to the employees and branches that go above and beyond. As well, do something for employees that have been there for years (Mile markers). As well as individuals that show exemplary work effort. A little goes a long way.