Kemper Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 3, 2019

2.7
Joseph P. Lacher, Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance seems to be on par with every other carrier I have worked for" (in 17 reviews)

• "They also offer a competitive 401k plan and good benefits for employees" (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management from the CEO to the directors are dishonest about subordinate job security" (in 18 reviews)

• "Work/life balance needs to be improved" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Claim Casualty Manager"

Current Employee - Claim Casualty Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Claim Casualty Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Kemper full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Well run company. Company is growing and gaining policies. Development and future promotional opportunities. Leadership support is outstanding. Onboarding and training is focus and very organized. If you are looking for an insurance company that cares about it's employees, this is the place for you.

Competitive salaries, pension and 401K match.

Cons

Does not have any bonuses for staff as other companies do connected to customers service goal.

2. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Dallas, TX

I worked at Kemper full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great people to work with, learned a lot, great upper management

Cons

was not other interns to connect with

"Great Company - I'm Glad to Be Here"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Kemper full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Great executive and management team that is welcoming, approachable, and ready to hear new ideas and perspectives.
    *A lot of growth happening in the Dallas Office and many exciting changes.
    *Great Compensation and Benefits

Cons

None that are worth mentioning in a review.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Kemper Response

Dec 7, 2018 – Brand Manager

We're glad to hear you're having a positive experience at Kemper. Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective.

"Claims Adjuster"

I worked at Kemper full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, solid 401k, ability to work OT, work-like balance is solid

Cons

No bonuses (but I see and hear that the CEO and his lackies get a ton). Little to no raises even if you have a great year end review so there’s no incentive to hit “goals” when you know your efforts won’t be rewarded. Constantly changing claims processes that seems to go from good to bad, back to good and then go to worse, etc.: High turnover (probably for the reasons I just mentioned).

Advice to Management

If you want good, hard working and loyal employees then you need to give out real yearly raises and start giving out bonuses. Otherwise year end performance reviews are meaningless. Sorry but those $25 gift cards for having the highest closing ratio at the end of the month are insulting and pathetic. You’ll keep getting high turnover amongst your experienced adjusters and won’t be able to hire like ones because of your reputation- the claims world is small and word travels fast on who to avoid working for. You’ll keep having to hire inexperienced/new adjusters which will expose you to many costly mistakes in claims handling costing the company hundreds of thousands of dollars that only experienced adjusters can prevent from happening and know to keep severity down. Example: You won’t be getting inexperienced adjusters settling soft tissue rep’d claims at only the cost of the inflated meds.

"Who won't management listen?"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Kemper full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Steady paycheck. Working inside. Front-line people are great.

Cons

Unbearable workload in Dallas Specialty claims. Adjusters quitting right and left. The ones who are left are too overwhelmed to care anymore.

Advice to Management

WHY won't you listen to what we are saying? We were doing fine before the change made in April 2018. How can you not see that? A new person came in and changed things. If it ain't broke...Go back to the way it was or continue to lose all your talent. It's sad.

"Claims"

I have been working at Kemper full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent coworkers with desire to help

Cons

Crippling work load on a daily basis

Advice to Management

Hire more employees. Decrease workload. Create teamwork

7. "It’s an OK place to work."

Current Employee - Appraiser in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Appraiser in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Kemper full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work from home
    Competitive salary
    Plenty of OT available

Cons

Moving towards the Progressive way of estimating, I.e. Best case scenario estimates.
    Heavy dependency on desk appraisals and photo app estimating instead of proper field staffing.
    Becoming a nonstandard insurer.
    Benefits are average.

Advice to Management

Go back to the preferred policies.

"Claims representative - Liability"

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Salem, OR

I have been working at Kemper full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent Pay and that is all there is. Benefits are expensive for what you get.

Cons

Unrealistic expectation to get the job done. You get 3 or more claims per day. You have to review, confirm coverage, make contact within 24 hours ideally and conclude liability and take calls for everyone else for 4 hours of your day. I spend much of my day just opening the claims. Then the company stops caring about the old claims once they are beyond the 4 days, unless they call the manager. Then they care. Everyone is behind on their task weeks. Many claims don’t get touched or worked until there is a problem.

The company doesn’t want to fix anything, their goal is to become to big to fail. They want to grow grow grow but not change anything.

Employees are just numbers not people. And that shows in the turn over.

Work life balance is a joke. Many days I barely take a break away from my desk because of how behind we are. All you here is that they need closures for the month. 5 hours of OT approved weekly but it is micromanaged to the minute with a spreadsheet.

Advice to Management

You need someone running the company or line of business who has done this job and is not disconnected from the reality of it.
    Hire more people lots more if you want to truly be a great place to work and you want to offer great customer service.
    Your employees (internal customers) are not happy. We are over worked and under appreciated!
    Stop micromanaging employees - either you want the job done right or you want people to work a report.

"Specialist 2"

I have been working at Kemper full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I would highly recommend that you do not work here.

Cons

Dishonest executive management; no raises or bonuses; Money wasted on corporate jets and travel but not for salary increases.

Advice to Management

Raises, Bonuses, and Honesty go a long way.

"Honest Review"

Current Employee - Property Adjuster II
    Current Employee - Property Adjuster II

I have been working at Kemper full-time

Pros

So far so good here. Work life balance seems to be on par with every other carrier I have worked for. Work your usual 8-430 but will have to stay late sometimes to finish your activities. Again, normal for most carriers. PTO builds immediately after hire and it will reflect on your first check. At this level, most claims you are handling are mid losses with mid-high complexity.

Benefits are fantastic and the best I've had with any carrier I have worked for.

Salary is way above any carrier previous. Though I now have plenty of experience handling all types of perils, the salary offered will surprise many of you and it is truly commensurate with your experience. You are expected to bring years of experience and you are rewarded up front for that with a generous salary. 65k PLUS to start. Negotiate and you will get more.

Company car is provided - I have a 2018 vehicle so that is nice. With that comes a gas card, toll passes, etc. Company will pay for your car to be parked in a public or private lot as well. This vehicle is also my every day driver but you will need approval for far distances (if you decide to travel out of state of something).

Working from home is a big thing for me and this company allows you to do so. You have the ability to desk adjust most claims (low complexity) and utilize vendors to send out on inspections with losses far away from you (more than 2 hours). Within your first 2 weeks, the company will send you monitors, dock, backpack, mouse, keyboard and any other expense you may need to set up a home office. I was offered to purchase a new desk on the company's dime but I already had a set up.

Management and Trainers are extremely patient and accessible. If you have a question, it's easy to get an answer. There are so many resources outside of the people listed above. Peers are easy to work with.

Free CE classes. Something I did not have with prior carriers.

I cannot speak for career opportunities since I have not attempted to move and I love what I do. From what I hear, there are not many locally.

Lastly, you have the ability to schedule inspections as you see fit. Obviously, you will need to respond to emergency losses more quickly but there is a lot of flexibility from what I am experiencing which is great since there is a lot of paper work on the back end of these claims.

Cons

You will probably never see a peer in person. May be a con for some but for me, I do not mind - I tend to work better alone anyway. Your leaders will see you maybe once or twice a year.

The tech is there but I think it needs to be better utilized. With prior carriers, a lot of the processes were automated; file uploads, document accessibility, etc. Here, a lot of the process is manual and I am so used to having a lot of that work done before I receive an assignment. HUGE adjustment (no pun intended). As soon as you do it a few times, it becomes habit.

I said the training was patient and accessible. Though, it can be and should be better. Again, with prior carriers there were training centers for claims handling systems and much of the first month is dedicated to that. You will be thrown into action almost right away and the training modules will be done on your own time while handling claims almost immediately. The good thing is those training modules will take you half a day to complete.

There is no down period as a staff adjuster here. MANY carriers have the winter as a "slow" period in claims. However, you will be handling claims from many parts of the country but from the comfort of your home.

Turnover seems to be high but that is the same with any other company.

Advice to Management

Catch up to competitors in this industry. The easier claims handling is for the adjusters, the easier it is for the clients.

Hold training in person to allow adjusters to "master" claims handling software so we are better equipped when we hit the field. Handling claims from the get go slows us down at the start and we can get buried in claims before you know it.