Kepware Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tony Paine

"Engineering Staff"

I have been working at Kepware full-time

Pros

Remarkably transparent culture, strong teams, inclusive attitude, quality driven, totally motivated to be a great employer

Cons

... eh... parking downtown? working downtown is nice tho.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, the communication, and the openness around values, direction, competition, industry, and goals.

"I love coming in to work every day."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, ME

I have been working at Kepware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kepware is a relatively small company that serves a massive customer base. Even though the company is growing rapidly, management has striven hard to maintain the company's culture and core values through the growth. As you may have been able to guess, the outlook for Kepware's future is awesome. Everyone here is friendly, and also very talented. Everyone who works here is actively engaged as well as invested in and passionate about their work. This makes for an awesome work environment where everyone pulls their own weight and steps up to help out others when things come up. That alone would make Kepware the best place I've ever worked, but the list goes on. Kepware has a beautiful office space in a really nice down town location with easy access to local food and city activities. However, Kepware is also located close to most of the major routes in and out of Portland, making for a relatively easy commute (although if you're coming from the West you'll probably hit traffic). The pay is competitive for the area, and I've never seen benefits like Kepwares. These include great health insurance with dental and vision coverage (they basically cover a lot of the cost of insurance by contributing to your HSA), a 401k with a generous employer contribution, plenty of PTO, as well as 2 paid days off for volunteer service. Other benefits include a gym and quiet room, and professional development is encouraged and sponsored by the company. Kepware also has an excellent maternity (and paternity) program that isn't commonly seen in the area. Work-life balance is good, and when people dedicate extra time to their jobs it is because they want to.

Working at Kepware gets me out of bed every morning and drives me to be the best that I can. I really enjoy the work that I do, as well as the people I do it with, and the markets and customers we serve.

Cons

I cannot think of anything I would actually consider a con, but there is a 20 word minimum here. The worst thing I can think of is that we're currently growing very rapidly, and as a result are experiencing growing pains. This is really just a part of growing and I think management is doing a excellent job at making this as painless as possible.

Advice to Management

Keep communications open; the level of transparency is valued by your employees. We also really value the way Kepware is owned and managed, and it would be a shame to transfer any of that into hands outside the company.

"Great place, great people, great training."

Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, ME

Pros

Kepware has a fun young energy but is guided by mature leaders.

Cons

None. Company is currently growing and I hope we will stick to our core values.

Advice to Management

Keep the company's small feel.

5. "Great work environment, office is well appointed for ergonomics and the agile process."

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Portland, ME

Pros

Benefits are numerous and plentiful, and it's no Initech!!

Cons

The three floors and separation of departments - work towards creating an acceptable social divide that can be somewhat overwhelming for the social recluse.

Advice to Management

Encourage more inter-departmental conversations / events.

6. "Kepware Technologies...bringing Cambridge and the Silicon Valley to Portland, Maine"

Current Employee - Employee in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Employee in Portland, ME

I have been working at Kepware full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Kepware products bring the world closer by enabling both simple and powerful computing devices to communicate.
    Kepware provides resources for employees to gain knowledge in many facets of technology; essentially, you can write your own ticket with the knowledge gained here. The people working here are second to none...very bright folks!
    There is a gym to do yoga, weights, treadmill, and elliptical among other eqpt.
    There is a quite room where you can go to just chill.
    Ergonomic workplace with progressive office space
    The compensation is very competitive with 401k contributions and profit-sharing.

Cons

Company serves hard-working technicians and engineers that have safety and productivity in mind. So despite promoting a healthy work/life balance, there is pressure to provide solutions and be available when required. We have a world depending on us for data integrity.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency and empowering your employees.

"Great Company, Great Culture, Bright Future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

I have been working at Kepware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Kepware and its employees operate by the core values of transparency, open communication, and "quality in everything we do". While some companies talk about culture, this company lives it. Leadership is smart and humble. The work is challenging and exciting. Salary compensation is above average. In addition to salary, company offers many perks including professional development opportunities and Kepware-sponsored social events (summer outing, holiday party, lunches, frequent happy hours, trick-or-treat for Kepware families, etc.) Camaraderie among employees is strong. The office space is beautiful. The opportunities here are endless for people who are smart, passionate, and want to make an impact.

Cons

The company is growing rapidly and fighting hard to preserve its culture in the process. I wouldn't necessarily consider this a con, but it is something to watch out for.

Advice to Management

Kepware is a very special company. Please don't be enticed by private investors.

8. "OK to work for but.."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

I have been working at Kepware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary, beautiful office and you are surrounded by smart co-workers

Cons

Resistant to change, poor communication and the training program is awful.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent, work on training your staff in a more uniform manner and be accepting to change as the business grows

9. "Solving the worlds issues one call/email at a time."

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Portland, ME

Pros

Pay, Environment, Flexibility, Benefits, Location.

Cons

Promotion Path, Interdepartmental Communications, Learning curve.

"Living in Portland Maine, working with global blue chip customers."

Pros

The great thing about this company is you can live in Portland Maine but deal with blue chip companies from all over the world. The company sells to leading companies in the Automotive, Food and Beverage, Pharmaceutical, Electronics, Oil and Gas, as well as many other companies as varied as retail, universities and entertainment. The products are not only used by these companies but they are a key component for the companies to produce their own products.

As an employee you will often be dealing with people from these companies or cases these companies need our help on. Kepware has a great reputation within the industry so customers come to us not to fix defects as much as they come to us to request enhancements or changes to the software so they can use it beyond their initial required application.

Cons

Currently the biggest challenge is hiring great people and on-boarding them as quickly as possible so they can contribute to the team.

11. "Going downhill fast"

I have been working at Kepware full-time

Pros

Good benefits, flexible schedule.

Cons

There's a lot of uncertainty and poor morale after the acquisition by PTC, exacerbated by all the recent changes. Can be really cliquey and hard to bring new ideas to the table-----low turnover means a lot of employees have been at Kepware a long time and are stuck in this is how we've always done it mindframe and resistant to any kind of change. Transparency has gone very downhill, as things go back and forth with the actual people doing the work left heads spinning----yet we are still responsible for implementing all inconsistent plans.

Advice to Management

A few happy hour's and parties aren't enough to fix morale. Try actually giving peopel the transparency, growth opportunities, and support they need instead of hoping free beers will do the trick.