LendingTree Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
LendingTree Chairman and CEO Doug Lebda
Doug Lebda

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance, ability to work cross functionally, opportunity for growth and exceptional diversity in the work force (in 10 reviews)

• 3 catered lunches, a popcorn machine, no dress code, free bagels on Friday (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • LT is growing quickly so there is always work to be done (in 5 reviews)

1. "High growth company with a ton of opportunity"

I have been working at LendingTree full-time

Pros

- Rapidly growing company. LendingTree is growing organically and through acquisitions. And all of that growth creates more products, more roles and more opportunities.
    - Flat organizational structure: the revenue per employee metric should give you a sense of how much the company does with so few people. No fancy private offices - we are all in an open floor-plan and there is easy access to senior management.
    - Our products help people save money. The tagline is "when banks compete you win." And the people here are trying to do for money what has already been done for travel: make comparison shopping easy, and help people save a ton of money.
    - And the stock price isn't bad either: although most people don't talk / pay attention to the stock price, it is nice to know that the market is recognizing LendingTree.

Cons

Rapidly growing company: In aggregate, a hyper-growth company creates more opportunities than risks. But there are inevitable challenges that arise when a company is growing this quickly. Just know your personality: if you want to work in a place where there is a ton of process, procedure and consistency, this isn't the place. If you are a self-starter and aren't afraid to get your hands dirty or do something for the first time, you will like it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing - and make sure, as the company continues to get bigger/adds more people, you continue to keep/invest in the culture that got us here.

"Solid company all around"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at LendingTree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management takes an active interest in helping you with your career path and growth within the company; Colleagues are super friendly and passionate about what they do; Senior Management has an open door policy (including C-level execs), are always willing to help if asked; work/life balance is tough to beat

Cons

As stated in other reviews, projects can take longer than expected due to broken processes and conflicting priorities cross-functionally. That said, management is aware of these issues and are working towards solutions as we continue to scale.

"Great Company, Great People, Great Culture"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at LendingTree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I could not speak enough good things about LendingTree. My manager is who I contribute my great experience too. He provides great direction, creates a collaborative environment and encourages me to always go out of my comfort zone.

Cons

Departments could improve communication to better understand what is the latest

"Growing Progressive Company"

Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at LendingTree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, ability to work cross functionally, opportunity for growth and exceptional diversity in the work force.

Cons

Growing quickly with a lot of moving parts but LT is loyal to its employees and believes in promoting from within.

Advice to Management

Provide coaching/mentor-ship

5. ""Best Place to Work" In Name Only"

I worked at LendingTree full-time

Pros

LendingTree is generous in giving high salaries and stock options. That's about all.

Cons

LendingTree calls itself a "culture forward" company. Unfortunately, that culture is reminiscent of a failed Communist state rather than an employer-friendly company. The entire premise is built around a cult of personality for their CEO and iconic "spokes-puppet." Human Resources is happy to ignore you after they've done their song-and-dance to get you in the door. If you do so much as speak out against doing something wrong, you WILL be told to get back in line and be quiet. Their growth is SO BIG right now they literally put people wherever they feel like without any concern to growing teams or developing internal talent. LendingTree wants to tell you they are doing life changing work...but in reality, it's all a money-making scheme. At this year's Christmas party, the CEO gave a special thanks to the spouses who let their significant others work long hours "so we can all make more money." If you're looking for a job that pays you a lot of money to be quiet and drone on, this is where you want to work. If you want culture, good co-workers, and lasting relationships, then avoid this place at all costs.

Advice to Management

Your recruiting videos are lies. Quit telling people you are doing life-changing, vision-focused work when all you want is to make money at the expense of individuals with mid-tier credit. Quit bragging about your culture, when your new employee orientation consists of days of lectures and a free t-shirt. Quit telling people how good of a workplace you are, when you are happy to dismiss anyone who crosses you. You are NOT a company people want to work for. You are a place people work at because you pay them enough to stand in line.

LendingTree Response

Jan 11, 2018 – Sr. Director, Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback. We’re sorry it didn’t work out – we aren’t a fit for everyone. We’re a fast-paced, entrepreneurial company and we pride ourselves on transparency and accountability. We... More

6. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Communications Specialist
    Former Employee - Communications Specialist

I worked at LendingTree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits. Kind people. Some flexibility with hours.

Cons

Not sure of overall strategy for company

"Loving my job so far"

I have been working at LendingTree full-time

Pros

Started a few months ago. It's a challenging environment where I'm never bored. I'm constantly learning, growing, getting frustrated, but becoming better for it. If you like being the smartest person in the room, you won't like it here - everyone is smart and motivated to get things done. Your input is valued here, but you're also expected to take the reins very early on. Feeling out of my depth is a pretty regular occurrence but making mistakes is ok as long as you learn from them. Coming from a place where you were blamed if you failed but given no resources to be successful, it's a big change.

Cons

Onboarding is chaotic. It likely depends on your manager, but expectations aren't really clear other than getting down to work. Again, everyone's supportive and ok if you make mistakes but it would help to have some more formalized training.

Advice to Management

Put some processes in place to formally educate new hires sooner. Make sure managers have planned ahead for onboarding.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LendingTree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-great environment
    -sweet benefits
    -very flexible around people and schedules
    -company is exploding

Cons

-normal bureaucracy issues that slows things down

LendingTree Response

Dec 3, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. We are on a continuous journey to make this one of the best places to work in Tech. Please let us know how we can improve. We continue to work on keeping our environment... More

"Customer Care Representative"

Current Employee - Inbound Call Center Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Inbound Call Center Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at LendingTree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent commission
    Flexible schedule
    Access to company suite (box seats) during events or concerts

Cons

Can be mentally and/or emotionally draining
    Bad location
    No cohesion between departments

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people not a number

"Culture Shock: Toxic and Tense Work Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at LendingTree full-time

Pros

They have $3 catered lunches, a popcorn machine, no dress code, free bagels on Friday’s. My job duties were repetitive but straightforward. I also worked with several sincerely, genuine people during my time of employment.

Cons

LendingTree is well-known for its laid-back, stress free work environment. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case for its outbound team at the contact center department. Many changes have been implemented in a very short period of time since the previous senior manager and supervisor were promoted. This includes changes in management (i.e. senior manager and immediate supervisors), inconsistency in following new policies and call procedures, but most importantly the company culture.

Tensions are high. Morale is low. Performance Improvement Plans(PIP) are delivered to multiple agents for reasons which appear to be subjective. A company or even a single department experiencing growing pains is understandable, but it seems like this tolerance for unethical behavior will persist. Although the company itself is considered successful (LendingTree stock is soaring). The future of the contact center (outbound team) remains uncertain.

Advice to Management

Advice to management: Listen to your employees without being defensive, especially the agents who have been working in the contact center the longest. Their feedback is indispensable. Strong leadership should focus on positive reinforcement as well as constructive criticism, not nitpicking.