MKS Instruments Reviews | Glassdoor

Gerald G. Colella

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "MKS Review"

I worked at MKS Instruments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent working environment. Excellent people. Each employee is able to make a difference.

Cons

Coffee is not free. Many contractors come and go.

Advice to Management

Full time employees feel pride and belonging. Contractors are just there to do a job and should be spending some of their time looking for the next gig.

"Big Little Company"

I have been working at MKS Instruments full-time

Pros

Fast paced and exciting work with cutting edge supplier and customer relationships. A true look behind the curtain for most high tech fields.

Cons

Cash heavy company continues to decrease benefits and more inclined to bring in outside talent than promote from within. Receive regular notifications of Corporate level promotions with difficulty in acquiring tools with absurdly low purchasing power for local managers.

Advice to Management

Return to impact based merit increases and/or bonus plans. Hard working innovative individuals are thrown the same accounting based merit increase as others who might just be putting in their time.

"Credible Stability"

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Methuen, MA
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Methuen, MA

I worked at MKS Instruments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None to be offered! Except The CEO tends to listen, unfortunately he continues to be blindsided by others.

Cons

Very backstabbing and fallacious working environment. Same group that's been there for 2o years still run show while everyone else get's layed off.

Advice to Management

Be more honest and listen to criticism from the new kid on the block with diverse and multi-company environment experience and insights. The old guard that's sill running things in the methuen office is the reason why you continue to struggle...

"CTO, Director, VP, R&D"

I worked at MKS Instruments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Innovative, great people, focused, driven

Cons

Political, P&L center self funded, must meet strict CI

Advice to Management

Keep your best people and don't promote friends of upper management

"Consistent lack of proper support for QA"

Former Employee - Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at MKS Instruments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was employed full time for 2 years as the only Software QA Engineer on staff. Was hired as a Senior level QA Enginer to independently lead up and manage the software QA test process for the software coming out of the Austin, TX office.

Initially reported to a Director. The position was later absorbed into the SW DEV team.

The job was initially enjoyable as I got up to speed on the software product line, initiated a new company QA process to be incorporated as a company standard, and implemented a test automation framework.

Great continuous interaction and cooperation with the Product Management and Operations extended teams.

Cons

1. The job became undesirable after it was evident that the SW DEV team would not follow any type of a QA process. Ultimately, this was a mismanagement issue that started out bad and became worse.

2. Many software bugs found by QA and entered into the bug tracking system were usually either flat out ignored, or else refuted as non-bugs, by the SW DEV management.

3. QA requests for developers to explain their new software features were many times flat out denied, as if QA didn't need to know how the software was supposed to work. The requests often left DEV hostile and full of attitude, that I had to tolerate. Escalated the lack of cooperation issue to SW DEV management, who completely ignored the escalation attempt. Was obviously not a priority to management, did nothing.

4. QA requests for developers to modify code so that it be compatible with an industry standard test tool was flat out denied. The request left DEV hostile and full of attitude, that I had to tolerate. Escalated the lack of cooperation issue to SW DEV management, who completely ignored the escalation attempt. Was obviously not a priority, did nothing.

5. SW DEV management refused to support an industry standard and company sanctioned QA process, that I was asked to author and implement in a previous year. My complaints to SW DEV management about the refusal to follow the process went completely ignored, and instead, management offered to "change" the QA process to suit the non-compliance.

6. All of these factors directly impacted and compromised overall QA quality.

Rather than accept a consistently compromised QA process, I chose to resign.

A side note that deserves mention:

7. During mt 2-year tenure, corporate IT staff was continuously unprofessional and had a history of going "rogue" with personalized temper tantrum emails and other online communication that was targeted at various employees on my team, to include me personally, for failing to follow undocumented and nonexistent IT procedure that they conjured up on their own, during the course of performing software development and QA tasks for the business. This continuous unprofessionalsim was caused by poor mismanagement of these corporate IT staffers, not related to the management at the Austin office.

Advice to Management

1. Bring the QA staff out of the SW DEV team, so that it reports to external management. QA cannot function properly if part of DEV, its a conflict of interest and will not work.

2. SW DEV management needs to follow the already-established QA process, and not try to change the process to suit them.

3. Corporate IT staff needs micromanagement and regular monitoring by HR to resolve repeated unprofessional behavior.

6. "Good Experience"

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Andover, MA

I worked at MKS Instruments (Less than a year)

Pros

Experienced professionals, Flexible hours, Learnt alot

Cons

I was so busy throughout my experience that I didn't feel any cons

"Engineer"

I worked at MKS Instruments full-time

Pros

Working with technology with a lot of potential.

Cons

Like many others have reported, good old boy's club exists in management. No opportunities for advancement within the company or raises to speak of. Highly bureaucratic organization.

Advice to Management

Start caring more about your employees and provide better raises. Stop treating your employees as Disposable Commodities.

8. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Andover, MA

I have been working at MKS Instruments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Have been working for MKS for many years. Found it very easy to move to new/better positions, which gives you a more informed idea of what the company does. Pay does keep up/or slow down with the times. Great benefits and I have a very flexible work schedule. I am NOT management, but feel very useful, important to the company, and appreciated. I do understand some of the comments regarding management, but I feel that it is mainly those who were hired from outside. Having been here for many years, I've seen many of the executives climb the ladder from the trenches! They deserve their positions.....some others don't....

Cons

Some bad choices are made when it comes to who gets laid off during cyclical downturns.

Advice to Management

Keep those employees who have given you their all for a long time. Don't toss them out with indignity to hire young expensive blood.

9. "Inter"

Pros

Friendly environment, everyone is whiling to help you at any time.

Cons

As a inter, it was pretty boring. Most of the time i was testing products.

10. "Stable company; limited advancement opportunities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at MKS Instruments (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stable company; good salary & benefits; very smart coworkers.

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities; highly political.