MTS Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
MTS Systems President & CEO Jeffrey A. Graves
Jeffrey A. Graves

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management too focused on growth (in 10 reviews)

• just look at what they did in China and the latest news (in 3 reviews)

1. "Unique industry with a highly talented workforce in a variey of disciplines"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chaska, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chaska, MN

I worked at MTS Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very custom and highly technical engineering business requiring strong team work from various departments to be successful. Engineering intensive with great career growth opportunities by working alongside talented people to deliver highly complex solutions. Broad customer base with strong global presence. Large scale custom work makes for an exciting place to work. Days go by fast.

Cons

Lack of work/life balance not equal across departments. Frequent leadership turnover and the time for new leadership to understand the business due to its complex nature. New leadership taking similar paths that old leadership had once traveled - this can be good or bad. You may acquire a person's job when an individual departs the company and be expected to absorb the work.

Advice to Management

Embrace the special talents required to make the business successful. Invest in training and operating systems to shorten learning curve for new employees. Recruit & retain highly talented individuals in key positions.

"Minneapolis"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at MTS Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exceptional services provided to industries

Cons

Verbally abusive management in finance department. Bully environment. They are not held responsible for their actions. They will hold a tirade in front of multiple employees. Not very professional. It is too bad.

Advice to Management

It will take massive resources to make the Finance department run well. People can not work at 150% full time. Find leaders who understand this otherwise you will continue to see unhappy faces.

"Marketing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at MTS Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Customers, Great Products and very cool industry

Cons

Management is the worst I have ever seen. Middle managers do their best to keep people happy, but are constantly told to do more with a lot less and treated horribly by upper management. Worst company to work for in the region by far. Stay far away.

Advice to Management

Start over again. This happens about every 2 years anyways and it is time again to start over completely with everyone above the front line employees.

"A look inside the walls"

Former Employee - Operations in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Operations in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at MTS Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, great people on the floor, great engineering teams. Benefits were normal, 401k match was good and stock options.

Cons

First off I want those that are reading this to understand that this is not just some disgruntled ex employee. I left on good terms and left to pursue a better opportunity. I was involved with operations and there are some very concerning things that go on here. In the past 6 months managers have been pushed to hire on talent to achieve direct labor goals even after those managers pushed back requesting recs be closed due to the lack of work. they were told to continue to hire and that no recs would be closed. The company is being run very poorly to achieve very short term goals. The planning department was instructed to pull in so much work last fiscal year that they now have very minimal work currently. (Operations was on OT for the entire fiscal year straight last year). Even with this short fall of work the upper management continues to force OT when it isn't needed to continue to drive Direct Labor goals. Operations employees are literally charging time to jobs standing around and being very inefficient. To counteract this mishap the Upper management has pushed blame to the project engineers forcing them to do job cost adjustments (saying they quoted the jobs incorrectly in the beginning and the jobs really should have had more time to complete). Before I left I was told that I had to give the list of my three bottom performers to my boss (every manager is having to do this) the list is two pages long. The reason behind this list is to get ready for the layoff that is coming due to the lack of available work. Which I understand that's business and you should always know who are in the low end of performance to work with and help them in the areas they are struggling, but to hire on new employees at a much reduced cost just to get rid of these individuals is wrong if your not going to work with them and give them the opportunity to improve. In the past year counting myself the company has lost 6 managers in various roles connected to operations due to upper managements ways. I have witnessed upper management threaten a peers job if he didn't do something, harass peers by swearing at them and degrading them, one of their lines is "tell me you can't do it so I can find someone who can." Upper management rules by threatening and intimidation.

Advice to Management

I don't think I can give any advice to Management that they haven't already heard. We know your under investigation for the China issue and that you have gotten extensions on filings and everyone on the inside knows the first quarter was bad and the second isn't going to be any better so your buying your time on how to formulate that response to stock holders and using the investigation to allow you more time to come up with a reason on the poor performance so far this new fiscal year.

Advice to good people thinking this is a good place stay away. Don't let them fool you with the "big title" and good pay it's happened to too many good people.

"MANAGER"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at MTS Systems (More than a year)

Pros

Plant employees are nice and honest, tell it the way it is.

Cons

Senior Management is terrible, liars, if you like being forced to working lots of mandatory overtime and not have a home life then this place is for you. CEO was fired 8 months ago and all the senior managers he brought over from his last company are still their trying to run a business which they don't know how to, running like a chicken with their head cu off. My advice is to stay away, any other company would be better to work for than mts. Managers leave work to go shoot arrows, play golf, fires, hunting, and the bar with low priority for work because they don't have to be good or know how their department works, they run by bully and write up and don't bring anything up in the speek up culture you will get written up for doing this.

Advice to Management

Get rid of 7 more , starting with the red head....

"Great Place, Great People"

Former Employee - Research & Design Engineer in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Research & Design Engineer in Cary, NC

I worked at MTS Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great people. Everyone seems to be on the same team with the same mission
    -Nice atmosphere. Not too stressful
    -Interesting. I found the products and work to be complex enough to be interesting, but enough to be overwhelming

Cons

-very few people were obstacles who refused to work
    -management strategy or personnel changes a lot
    -conflicting objectives/metrics between locations (mainly Germany vs US) encourages an enemy mentality rather than unity

Advice to Management

-tell people they did a good job every once and a while
    -invest in your people by sending them to training for a week in a subject that interests them. Make it mandatory. Yes, it will distract them from their current projects. But it will keep employees happy and loyal in the long run.

"Poorly run company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at MTS Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Innovative products by some passionate engineers

Cons

- Disgraceful management
    - Complacency by "lifers"
    - Revenue recognition behavior leads to creative accounting
    - Lack of cost management

Advice to Management

- You can't buy your way out of this problem...
    - Board needs to clean house with the exception of the CFO

"Delayed 10-K filing, conduct violations! Here we go again!"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at MTS Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

the employees are top notch but completely demoralized.

Cons

Now the latest news. Not a surprise to anyone who knows how the China group was set up without our help here in Eden Prairie. They have known about these problems for years. Here we go again. Just like the all the stuff that happened in the past with violations a few years ago. Nothing has changed. Its not just words here its fact now. just look at what they did in China and the latest news.

Advice to Management

Be careful. everybody wants to win but not at all costs. it affects us all. we just want to go to work. don't let greed lead to bad decisions like turning a blind eye in China. we will get caught.

"A disaster"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at MTS Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very talented and brilliant people. The only reason anything every gets done correctly is because the workers are usually more brilliant than management is inept.

Cons

Management is inept, narcissistic, unaware of the issues their employees face, and instead of giving people the tools they need to do their jobs, management just says "work smarter not harder". HR has no interest in trying to resolve any issues with management. I suspect that many of the positive reviews given here are just planted by HR.

Advice to Management

Clean house.

11. "Software Engineer"

I worked at MTS Systems full-time

Pros

Good compensation. Interesting work. Highly competent colleagues.

Cons

Upper management too focused on growth.