Mashable Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mashable CEO, Founder Pete Cashmore
Pete Cashmore

Pros
  • Great work environment with a cool office and lots of cool people (in 8 reviews)

• Snacks in the office, people are generally friendly and willing to help if they can, great location near Union Square (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • That's the problem with having an egregious lack of diversity or People of Color in higher positions (in 4 reviews)

• The lack of diversity in upper management is downright embarrassing (in 6 reviews)

"Feeling Meh"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Mashable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, younger crowd, everyone is so friendly gets along. Not as "cliquey" as NYC

Cons

Terrible pay, high turnover, upper management is all white

Advice to Management

pay your employees what they deserve, reward the people that stayed, and diversify the OC

2. "get out now"

I worked at Mashable full-time

Pros

once was a quality publisher with an identity, now they want to be a TV studio producing digital shorts for broadcaster.

Cons

terrible leadership with eye on sellout and not much more

Advice to Management

look beyond your selfish end game, there are hard workers coming in daily and you are blind to their efforts.

"Just the Worst"

Former Employee - Video Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Video Editor in New York, NY

Pros

It is a nice office and there are some good people who work there

Cons

The lack of diversity in upper management is downright embarrassing. Female and POC employees are working in an outright hostile environment. As a white man I was in an interesting position to hear how management would talk about women and POC employees behind their backs. When I called this out to my superior and to HR I was dismissed. I witnessed so many talented people leave this company because they were treated poorly. Despite several official complaints from many people, HR did nothing to stop bad behavior. I eventually followed because I just couldn't work at a place that did not value their employees equally. They also do not pay well and even though they promoted people after the layoffs many of those promotions were given with no or extremely small pay raises. Believe the bad press that they have been getting recently. This is a terrible place to work.

Advice to Management

Get a new HR team and give your employees a voice.

"Sad. Sad. Sad."

Former Employee - Staff Writer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Staff Writer in New York, NY

Pros

Snacks. Um snacks. Free water? And a roof top (no one uses)?

Cons

Racist, misogynistic, white, white WHITE upper management. Do we need to really hash out @mashablecancels to get the overall scope of just how bad it's become? There was a time when we believed Mashable cared about diversity. Deplorable human resources once said she "understood what it's like being a minority, I was the only Jew growing up in Chicago." Like, no. That's the problem with having an egregious lack of diversity or People of Color in higher positions. When white people try to believe that they care, or even try to empathize, they fall short. Because they're not minorities. They'll never understand our stories. They'll never understand what it's like to walk in our shoes. Stop, Mashable. You're embarrassing yourselves.

Advice to Management

I'd say to really hire diversely. Do whatever it takes to retain good talent. You're better than this, Pete! Stop being checked out! Rooting for you.

"Intern"

Pros

None at all... zero blah blah

Cons

Disorganized big time blah blaf

"GTFO"

I have been working at Mashable full-time

Pros

Great snacks, sleek office in union square, have made great friends here (some that have left), casual dress...

Cons

As mentioned in various reviews, the morale has not been the same since the layoffs in April. The company now lacks direction and is turning into another click bate site. Mashable no longer has an identity which results in it's employees to be very unmotivated. With that being said, it is a rather depressing yet chaotic work environment. No one is really passionate about what they are doing anymore. Management remains aloof and there is no transparency. The pay is also horrible and everyone is awaiting their next gig.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and get back to the Mashable roots of tech.

"All about the $$$"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Mashable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Colleagues at Mashable were great. Made some really good friends and worked with a lot of talented people (all former employees now.)

Cons

Has to be one of the worst managed places I've ever worked at. The CEO clearly doesn't know how his employees are feeling and if he does, he just doesn't care. Communication between the C-suite and everyone else is absolutely terrible.

The morale is the lowest I've experienced in 10 years of working for companies. Staff all talk about how they are looking elsewhere. Washable is throwing everything into Snapchat and Facebook Live, chasing trends and $, clearly targeting a sell within the next year or 2, since they have stopped caring about making good quality video content or writing high quality articles.

1-3% raises are given, which is an insult to the hard-working staff. There appears to be no strategy of the "voice" Mashable wants. Used to be seen for it's tech news and insights, then tried all forms of news coverage and now has no idea what it wants to be. I used to be a reader of Mashable prior to joining and now I never read or watch any videos. The quality is very poor and most of Mashable's competitors are far more relevant.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your staff, in person, not via long-winded emails. Respect your employees and utilize their talent. If Mashable isn't sold within the next year or 2, there could be trouble.

"These are Sad Times"

Pros

There were good times and I was fortunate to have been a part of that.

Cons

There was once a splendidly talented, dedicated, loyal and highly creative team at Mashable but then in April 2016 they decided to kill off most of the video and editorial team and "double down on video" (You read that correctly). Creatives who worked amazingly well together were split apart into an outdated agency structure and incorrectly allocated. Essentially upper management did not know what people did to make this decision in the first place. An alarming number of amazing people made additional exits.

The messaging from upper management comes in a form of emails and new hires are rarely introduced in person. The morale is so low that people have open conversations in all departments about job searches and opportunities elsewhere.

Finally, there is little incentive for people to stay when the pay raises across the board are unreasonable 1%-3% 'cost of living' increases. This sends a clear message to your staff that you do not care.

Advice to Management

Be honest. Are you just keeping this place afloat to sell it off?

"High turnover and changing goals"

I have been working at Mashable full-time

Pros

The offices are clean and bright, great meeting spaces and everyone is pretty friendly. Also, the company makes an effort to diversify the company culture and to promote teamwork.

Cons

Company goals are constantly changing to accommodate the trendiest thing happening at the time. Don't get used to your co-workers because turnover happens frequently.

Advice to Management

Become less reliant on the latest trends in social media and focus on creating quality work.

"Going downhill faster than if it were wearing skis"

I worked at Mashable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cons

New management is there to pick up the pieces of the old and depending on where you are its either a good change or making the same mistakes over again. For the most part it feels like too little too late, and it shows with very high turnover in the last few months

Advice to Management

There is a very serious communication issue across departments, which is created by an even larger branding identity crisis. If Mashable intends to be a serious player in the industry it needs to solve both and fast