Mashable Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Mashable CEO, Founder Pete Cashmore
Pete Cashmore

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fun and generally relaxed work environment (in 10 reviews)

• Wonderful office space, free snacks, and a friendly team that is willing to help you learn the ropes (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • They tend to have EXTREMELY poor hiring standards for upper management (in 8 reviews)

• That's the problem with having an egregious lack of diversity or People of Color in higher positions (in 4 reviews)

"Great staff but management lacking"

I have been working at Mashable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are overall very friendly. The crowd is kind of young and open minded. HQ has variety of healthy snacks, breakfast foods, and beverages (including beer by keg). Standard benefits including Health, Dental, Vision, FSA/HSA, 401K with match, Commuter Benefits.

Cons

Salary is underwhelming. For a tech space, you'd think there would be at least one of the following perks: game/rec room, gym, shower, catered lunches at least once per week, company outings. Unfortunately, there isn't any of that. The "coolest" perk used to be the variety of beer but that has also been degraded with kegs that almost never work. The same excuse gets tossed around - that there is no budget. Typical penny wise but pound foolish kind of company. Attrition continues to be an issue, moral is at an all time low, and management is clueless. Promotions are unlikely and annual raises / inflation adjustments don't exist.

Advice to Management

Open your ears, and engage with your staff. Spend money on moral. If you're not going to be competitive in salary, then become competitive in benefits. Right now, you've got neither and it's no wonder why people are leaving. Also, provide annual raises because you're essentially having people work harder each additional year for less dollar value in their salary.

2. "If you're brown, black or simply not basic, don't work here."

I have been working at Mashable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I mean, besides the La Croix, this experience may look good on your resume but that's still yet to be proven. 🙃

Cons

Oh boy, where do I start? Here goes:
    - revolving door
    - unequipped management
    - leadership is laughable

-This is literally the white privilege headquarters (for an example: witnessed white employees get lightly disciplined for making the same mistake a POC employee made and the POC employee got harshly disciplined. it's to the point where white staff members have openly expressed their discomfort for how POC employees are treated and talked to in meetings *AND* witnessed white employees get promoted for doing the bare minimum.)
    - people are friendly to each other, but dishonest behind your back

- lacks mature, professional individuals who truly know how to work with each other (or are even experienced in handling communication challenges)
    - C-suite has an inflated sense of self (excluding the Chief of Product). They interact with each other like they're in a fraternity and they're bros.
    - this is an environment lead by fear, and because of that, the culture is tense.

- did I mention that the leadership is laughable?

- the "C-suite" is consistently dishonest about the company's status. (we all know Pete is looking to sell and cash out, and IMO, that's okay - so why lie?)

- HR is a unfunny joke. It's quite distasteful how unHUMAN the Human Resources person operates.
    - the company has lost its brand equity in the marketplace. I've gone on interviews and prospective employers basically comment on how laughable Mashable is.
    - The company is very cheap. they're always looking for ways to cut corners.
    - most people have no clue what they're doing (with the exception of the product team and some editorial staff) and if they do they're rewarded for their mediocrity.
    - Extremely Cliquey: the staff interacts with each other like they're in high school. For example, some people run out of work at 5pm on the dot like some sort of bell rang. Super weird.
    - Generally, most people are socially awkward and lack a certain level of maturity. For example, everyone tries to follow everyone on their personal Instagram page. That's normal, right? WRONG: these same people can't even muster up a simple 'hello' in the MashCafe. Super weird.

All in all, I was immediately unimpressed my very first month here. I should have followed my gut and not taken this job, but whatever. But, is Mashable the absolute worst place to work: probably, not. You definitely have to be a specific personality type to work here. Like this review title offers, if you're a POC and simply think independently, this environment can be problematic for you. From my vantage point, the yes-men, docile, unthreatening wallflowers are the ones who are successful here. So if that's you, do you boo!

Advice to Management

Pack it up. Everybody can tell that you guys don't know what you're doing. Hire POC. Promote POC. Hire the LGBT community. Promote the LGBT community. Embrace diverse thinkers and not yes-men. Stop thinking that adding just white women to your leadership fraternity solves for your ongoing documented diversity issues. Perhaps, try cultivating an environment of inclusivity and not an adult playhouse. And while you're at it, stop hiring old media dinosaurs in an attempt to legitimatize your brand. After all, you're supposed to be a progressive multi-platform entertainment company not for the casually curious, right?

"Advice, you can do better."

I have been working at Mashable full-time

Pros

Co-workers are friendly. It's a very relaxed environment.

Cons

The HR Department is very intimidating and untrustworthy to talk to. They really don't care about your well being in your job or life. It's VERY hard to get a raise. They tend to have EXTREMELY poor hiring standards for upper management. A lot of the Management/Directors are very negligent towards their own team. There is no motivation or challenges to work. With the way Mashable is going, it's hard to take Management/Leadership seriously. It's exactly similar to the White House now a days, a clown show & joke.

4. "Honestly just happy to be here"

I have been working at Mashable full-time

Pros

Culture, collaboration, environment, receptiveness

Cons

Maybe that upper roles aren't clearly defined

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency

"They lie and don't care about their team"

I have been working at Mashable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

VERY relaxed work environment and the mid to lower level employees are better friends than colleagues.

Cons

Upper management is clueless, they lie to you in order to keep you around, do not reward hard work. Most of the upper management have little to no focus on the creative direction of the site.

They don't value the people they hire nor trust them and their experience.

They tell you one thing in the interview then do a complete 180 once you are hired. No matter how bad your current job is don't leave it for this place.

Advice to Management

Listen to your team and trust them. It's not a good look when you have a quarterly revolving door of people leaving the company.

"A lot of change"

I worked at Mashable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People, work/life balance, happy hours, good name

Cons

Revolving door on certain teams/leadership, lack of concrete vision, relatively stagnant career growth

Advice to Management

Value your current employees enough to make them stay. People leaving causes undue burden on the remaining employees, so it continues the cycle.

"Good environment, but there is room for improvement"

I have been working at Mashable full-time

Pros

Really great people & fun environment

Cons

Low pay. A lot of politics. Not a lot of diversity in management.

Advice to Management

Training process for new hires needs to be top notch -right now it isn't.

8. "Creative Strategist"

I have been working at Mashable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Start up feels with more structure ands mall perks

Cons

middle management is lacking - the majority of the company are entry level/not so senior talent, so there needs to be better guiding and management of talent and career. I do not see much of this as many employees are disgruntled by the lack of care and attention managers put into their reports.

"get out now"

I worked at Mashable full-time

Pros

once was a quality publisher with an identity, now they want to be a TV studio producing digital shorts for broadcaster.

Cons

terrible leadership with eye on sellout and not much more

Advice to Management

look beyond your selfish end game, there are hard workers coming in daily and you are blind to their efforts.

"Just the Worst"

Former Employee - Video Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Video Editor in New York, NY

Pros

It is a nice office and there are some good people who work there

Cons

The lack of diversity in upper management is downright embarrassing. Female and POC employees are working in an outright hostile environment. As a white man I was in an interesting position to hear how management would talk about women and POC employees behind their backs. When I called this out to my superior and to HR I was dismissed. I witnessed so many talented people leave this company because they were treated poorly. Despite several official complaints from many people, HR did nothing to stop bad behavior. I eventually followed because I just couldn't work at a place that did not value their employees equally. They also do not pay well and even though they promoted people after the layoffs many of those promotions were given with no or extremely small pay raises. Believe the bad press that they have been getting recently. This is a terrible place to work.

Advice to Management

Get a new HR team and give your employees a voice.