Masimo Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Masimo Chairman & CEO Joe E. Kiani
Joe E. Kiani

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "If you want to learn a lot come here, you'll get thrown in with the sharks so keep swimming" (in 7 reviews)

• "Excellent work environment, Friendly staff" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "They want to look good in front of upper management, so they put a lot of pressure on their employees" (in 9 reviews)

• "They don't believe in work life balance" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Excellent Company"

I have been working at Masimo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company, its leaders, and employees are genuinely committed to developing great products that help to make a difference in patient safety. Company leaders are involved and accessible, including the CEO. Everyone works very hard but it’s a privilege to work alongside co-workers who are so committed. The onsite café and amenities are great!

Cons

As with most companies, there’s never enough people to handle all the workload, but that’s a universal problem everywhere.

Advice to Management

Share more of the strategic plans to all employees so that everyone will understand how they fit with the long term goals.

2. "Masimo Team"

I have been working at Masimo full-time

Pros

Modern building, hygienic facilities, friendly employees, great cafeteria

Cons

Not enough employees for the work overload

"Great products"

Current Employee - Clinical Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Masimo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible on how you do your job

Cons

No accountability by management when things go wrong

"Engineering and operations officer is commonly referred to as a tyrant among coworkers"

Current Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Masimo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Impressive facility, kitchen and ping pong

Cons

Very disrespectful working environment, led by intimidation through toxic leadership

Advice to Management

Come to terms with the core problem embedded in the senior team.

5. "All Good Companies have Challeges"

I worked at Masimo (More than 3 years)

Pros

Promote wellness and lots of activities to be a part of during the work day. The building is beautiful.

Cons

Lack of Resources. The workload is demanding.

"An extremely toxic working environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Masimo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ping pong table, on-site gym, cafeteria, koi pond, volleyball court, plenty of on-site EV charging stations with discounted rates for employees.

Good oximeter products.

Cons

Micromanaging is a norm at Masimo and I believe it is part of this company's culture.

You can see or hear people get shouted at or talked to by their managers in a very degrading way almost everyday.

Managers do not know how to manage and show no respect and trust toward you. They think their relationship to you as policemen to suspects.

Unless you are desperate for a job, I will suggest avoiding this place at all cost.

Advice to Management

Did you read those comments people made during exit interview?

7. "An okay place to work"

I have been working at Masimo full-time

Pros

Relaxed work environment
    HR tries to do a lot of fun things for employees

Cons

Minimal career growth
    Can feel unorganized

"LET'S BE REALLY HONEST... It's a fast paced environment but..."

I have been working at Masimo full-time

Pros

The great aspects of working at Masimo:

- Good work hours
    - Good pay and potential for growth within the company
    - Supportive and great direct manager
    - Hands-on approach for many departments- especially engineering.
    - Fast paced company
    - On campus cafe, gym, and volleyball court
    - Sports and activities clubs on and off campus
    - Extremely Family friendly for visitors on campus and in life events- pregnancy, adoption, sickness, death... Etc.
    - Smart, talented, and friendly staff and team members
    - The corporate events are always big and fun
    - Secure campus

Cons

The not-so great things about working here:

- There's definitely some talk and evidence that it's still a culture of fear and insecurity

- They say make each day as fun as possible, but you feel that there's always someone watching you behind your back telling you to get back to work, even when it's your lunch hour.

- Lack of transparency sometimes.

- Some politics in upper and middle management (typical in any company), but it can definitely start to affect morale in the team

- Definite lack of in-person training sessions for essential and critical company policies and documentation

- No compensation program for grad school if you want to go back

- Multi-sport court was announced to employees in 2016 with big fanfare and would be built soon there after, but nothing has happened and it's 2018

- Atrium is totally underutilized because of the lack of proper shade. The lack of umbrellas and shade in the outdoor atrium (the concrete becomes a giant heat sink and radiates during lunch time or when you want to work mobile in the atrium- especially in the spring and summer)

- Gym's cardio tv equipment is installed, but not wired in - people are always asking why we have the TVs there on the cardio equipment in the first place if we're not allowed to use them while working out.

- Definite general fear about the company's open-door policy. Keep things close to the chest or you might live to regret it.

Advice to Management

Trust that your employees will do the right thing.

If you want your company to evolve to the next level, let your employees be creative and come up with new ideas, products, and solutions. Ask them for unique ideas and encourage/reward creativity and you won't regret it.

If you want productive employees, treat them as you would want to be treated. Show them that you actually care and we'll fight for you and the mission! Plug in those gym TVs, put up some umbrellas in the atrium, build that multi-sport court, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: really invest in your employees' overall well-being!

Really live out those core principles:
    - We believe in self improvement for a better team:

Help pay for grad school, encourage self-growth and certification, and have more in-person team training sessions

- We believe in making everything day as fun as possible:

Let your employees de-stress and have fun without fear of being reprimanded or put down. We know what we have to do to get the job done. Make it a place employees want to come to work everyday!

Evidence and studies show that happy employees are more productive, more efficient, and more successful!

There's so much potential for this company to be truly special and amazing place to have a fulfilling and meaningful career in OC. But, it's still being stifled by an element of fear, non-metric/data driven corporate norms, and distrust.

9. "Family Friendly Company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Masimo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As a current employee, I feel my family and I are appreciated at Masimo. Every year there are many family events inside and outside of the workplace. One example is we have the Christmas party where the CEO, Joe, hands out gifts to our children.

Masimo provides an on campus gym, badminton court, sand volleyball court, ping pong and basketball court for employees and families. Part of the culture at Masimo is to be competitive, thus we have a yearly Masimo Olympics competition where employees compete at different sports. Families are encouraged to come and cheer on.

Masimo has a very generous benefits package which includes 401k matching and a annual bonus program.

It is of a great honor to work for a company that cares about patient care and I would definitely recommend friends and family to join Masimo.

Cons

Need a better basketball court

"Management Design by Oingo Boingo"

Former Employee - Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Irvine, CA

I worked at Masimo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice building, some nice people

Cons

CEO has a problem with the truth. Told audience at Patient Safety Movement he started that Bill Clinton speaks there for free. In reality, documents prove he paid $140,000 to meet with Clinton and $630,000 for two speeches in 2013 and 2014. Clinton has spoken there four more times. That's just the tip of the false statement iceberg.

Advice to Management

Tell the CEO to retire and stop blaming others for his own shortcomings, and to not spread himself so thin he neglects things that matter or worry so much about his image he's willing to lie in an attempt to prop up his narcissism.