Masimo Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Masimo Chairman & CEO Joe E. Kiani
Joe E. Kiani

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • If you want to learn a lot come here, you'll get thrown in with the sharks so keep swimming (in 7 reviews)

• Atmosphere, working environment, HR involvement, products, company values, location, building, cafeteria, gym (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management would send mixed messages (in 7 reviews)

• The entire team is suffering this hostile work environment (in 6 reviews)

1. "good place to start, not for anyone"

Former Employee - Marketing Project Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Project Manager

Pros

I read all these reviews on Masimo, and some of them are very harsh, but true. I"ll break it down for you: this is a great place to get your feet wet in the medtech industry. If you want to learn a lot come here, you'll get thrown in with the sharks so keep swimming. This isn't a place for slackers, or people who think they will get by easily. There are demands and they want those demands met. So if you don't have a backbone or a self-starting, self-motivating personality this isn't the place for you. They make great products, and they are doing their best to boost culture and add more fun in each day. Note: there is no mentorship, so if you are coming here for that it is not the place for you...doesn't mean it isn't the right fit for someone else though.

Cons

Sometimes you need to say no to the late hours, even though it is frowned upon. We all have families and lives we need to get to outside of that shiny building. I know people who work through the night and all the next day, it's not healthy.

Advice to Management

A mentorship program would be great, especially for those who are given tasks they have NEVER performed or went to school for. Listen to marketing...as hard as it may be for an engineering driven company, your marketing team has a bunch of bright people who have a lot of ideas and can really help build the company even more. Lastly, listen to your employees in general...they care about their jobs and working there but they want you to listen.

2. "Senior Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Masimo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting projects, good compensation, great facility, supportive of employees

Cons

Occasional politics but no more than other companies I've been with

Advice to Management

You're not a small company anymore, so it's going to get harder and harder to change directions quickly. Strategic planning is more crucial than ever to minimize the need for those rapid direction changes. You are on the right track, but don't take short-cuts that could effect your long term goals down the road. Keep employees focused on those goals and you will be successful.

3. "Most rewarding culture of excellence in my career."

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Masimo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Masimo is a forward thinking, progressive, technology-focused and employee friendly company. Even when Masimo senior management makes a mistake, they eventually correct it!

Cons

Sometimes Marketing is slow to match advanced technology products with "why and how" different customers use the products to improve patient outcomes. They eventually get it right!

Advice to Management

Invest more in learning customers "The Job to be Done".

"Avoid at all cost"

I worked at Masimo full-time

Pros

I really do not have much to say here. The Irvine area is nice and there is a nice koi pond in the new building.

Cons

The only thing I learned in my year and a half at Masimo is how not to treat people. I worked in the quality compliance group from 2015-2016 and I can still remember all the bullying and name calling that I was subjected to.
    Truth be told, I was super excited about joining Masimo in 2015, even though majority of the reviews on Glassdoor were negative. Boy was I wrong. Three months into my journey, my direct Manager left the company and let me deal with the obnoxious management in the Quality Compliance (QC) Group.

Example:
    I am always in my office at 7 am and Management comes in at 730 and sets up a meeting to resolve an issue. However, I needed time off to take my son to the hospital and so I proposed a meeting at 7 am as soon as I got in. Without seeing my request, an invitation was sent to me to discuss a department issue. I informed management of my circumstance and I kid you not, he flipped and started cussing at me.
    Even though all this was going on, I still ploughed my way through because I had a family to support.

However, they will find a way to fire you.
    The last straw was when Management was holding meetings behind my back with lawyers and HR to discuss my performance. They set up metrics in November 2015 to monitor each department’s performance. The metrics were evaluated from November 2015 to June of 2016. I was green on all of my metrics except for the month of November but apparently, I wasn’t doing a good job. However, the spineless HR department decided to put me on probation.
    In my 20 years, I had never experienced anything like this.

Come to find out, the QC Management did not like me and wanted me out.

This is not a complete list of all the abuse that I had to deal with. Trust me, nothing is worth this aggravation. Can’t speak of other departments, but I think the culture is same throughout the company.

Do yourself a favor; AVOID MASIMO AT ALL COST.

Advice to Management

This has been the culture and nothing will change. The issues stem from top to bottom and it all starts with the CEO.

"Wow, so many FAKE reviews!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Masimo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The five-star love fest reviews you see here? Yeah, they're fake. Bought and paid for no doubt by a micromanaging fear mongering management team with no real regard for the people they churn through the meat grinder. Trump has a more realistic view of himself and the world around him than these sycophants.

Cons

I don't have time to go into the cons. Suffice it to say that the "pros" above are really the most positive thins I can say.

Advice to Management

Get your heads out of your, well, you know, and stop posting fake reviews!

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Masimo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice building and good cafe

Cons

no room for growth
    Managers yells at you and expect you to be obedient

Advice to Management

People are there to work not to worship

"I learned more about patient safety in two years at Masimo than I did in my prior twenty years in healthcare."

Former Employee - Executive in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Executive in Irvine, CA

I worked at Masimo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Masimo is totally focused on patient safety and developing medical products that improve the care provided to hospitalized patients world wide.

Cons

Large number of new products

Advice to Management

More comprehensive new product launch

"unfair management"

Former Employee - Engineering in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering in Irvine, CA

I worked at Masimo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good technical staff, products have effective performance. Technically challenging projects. Lots of clinical testing.

Cons

Centralized decision making, micromanagement, silos in communication and no knowledge transfer across teams or to new members, lack of trust in teams and their execution. Use of Masimo Labs as a separate organization for IP assignment benefits only the founders, which limits the growth of Masimo Corp and return on investment to its new employees unfairly. Stock options come with a contract with lots of red tape before you can claim any benefit. Management forces emplyees out if you are politically unfit, or represent a risk to their strong hold on key positions that they do not want competition for. They have walked employees out unfairly.

Advice to Management

Give authority and responsibility to directors and managers and engineers and do not micromanage but hold accountable for results. Encourage innovation within Masimo Corp, and stop assigning key patents to Masimo Labs, Inc. to benefit the founders only and not Masimo Corp., Inc. new employees. Improve transparency of information and communication within Masimo Corp and share knowledge on products with new employees. Share the growth with performing employees and give stock options without the red tape contract as they earned it. Respect new employees and not just the founders, you are not a startup anymore so don't act like one. Allow room for growth for new employees and not just those well connected to founders.

"Stay Away from Quality Assurance"

Pros

Innovative technology, strong engineering team, good location, nice cafeteria, nice facilities. Competitive compensation. Stock doing well. Sorry but nothing else to say.

Cons

If you are an intelligent, self driven, experienced professional than working under the quality assurance mid-management is not the right fit for you. If you are ok with micromanagement, being boxed in your position, not challenged and just want a paycheck than you can survive here.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the 'dead wood' and hire real managers who are leaders and want to make a real change; not just shuffle papers and make themselves look good.

"SHOCKINGLY HOSTILE WORK ENVIRONMENT!!! If you work in Masimo QUALITY you will be abused, belittled and get PTSD"

Pros

The company is doing well and cares about patients. The gym is nice and cafeteria has good food. Impressive building.

Cons

Joe, when are you going to help us in Quality? The Senior VP is the most abusive person at Masimo. Every single day it's more of the same. We thought it would get better after the FDA audit but it's gotten worse! Much worse! How in good conscience can you continue to let this person belittle and demean everyone in the department? It's the most abusive environment I've ever seen. It doesn't matter who you are, he raises his voice, verbally intimidates and scolds for no reason, and in general strikes fear into everyone for saying anything. If you suggest something he makes fun of you or has some nasty belittling comment. If you don't say anything he berates you for not saying anything. There is no winning here. He does it to engineers, managers, directors and any quality person he feels like trying to make feel small. We are under constant attack.

Don't you have an expectation of certain standards of behavior from your senior leadership? Shouldn't he be treating people better than everyone else and setting the example? You said in a team meeting once that our bosses should be treating their people like they treat their boss. Let me assure you that most certainly isn't the case here. He wouldn't act this way if you were present to see his behavior.

People leave meetings with him feeling like they have just come out of a war. Yes it's that bad! We all just look at each other cringing and exchanging looks of sympathy for the abuse we are taking. Everyone is at the mercy of his "moods". Every day it's something new. People put in 10 hour days and he calls them "banker boy" or "banker girl" implying that they are putting in bankers hours and not committing enough time. What is enough? The entire team is suffering this hostile work environment. People like the company itself. They just want to come and do their jobs in a respectful environment. I implore you to help make it better!

If you are considering working here at Masimo in Quality and think it won't happen to you, think again. It will. It won't matter if you are achieving your goals or not, everyone is abused. Everyone.

Advice to Management

Also, ethics are questionable. He manages up very well to his boss and yourself. Very well. You might want to consider that before he lands this company smack in the middle of another warning letter or worse. But, it's your company and your risks to take. You are an excellent CEO. No one I work with has ever seen you treat people poorly, abuse or belittle people. You need to hold your leadership team accountable to the same standards.

Masimo Response

May 22, 2017 – Vice President, Human Resources

Masimo is committed to a culture where all team members feel that they are treated with respect and their opinions are valued. The behaviors described are inconsistent with these values.

This is... More