MedExpert Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeffrey Hiller

1. "working at medexpert"

I have been working at MedExpert full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I scroll through a lot of the reviews in big part because I don't usually know how to start what I want to say and i think that what really stands out to me is a lot of polarized opinions. So with that said I think that I want to write my point of view which is actually more middle of the road in a positive way. I like that I have flexible hours at work and that I can help people on the phones. I actually do feel like I can talk to my boss and that she will listen to me so I think that is a positive thing. I haven't been working here for very long, but I like my coworkers and I like the office and the setups.

Cons

It is hard to sit for so long all day and then get tethered to a phone call that might make my schedule have to change like going to lunch later because I was on the phone with a client, but it is pretty easily managed. I only gave the company a 4 because I do see a lot of room for improvement, but i also see a lot of effort to make things change. I hope the longer I stay the more I can maybe start navigating on my own and be a positive influence and help others when they are newer.

Advice to Management

overall I like working here and like the job, but i think more benefits would be nice and maybe more interaction with all employees so we can all feel like a big team.

"Not a great six months, bad experience overall"

Current Employee - Medical Coordinator in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Coordinator in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at MedExpert full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I first started at MedExpert, I was really excited and thought that there would be a ton of opportunity for growth professionally. I knew it would be a challenge but I was ready to work hard. When I started in 2014 you could feel the energy and excitement, which has mostly gone away at this point. There are still a ton of great employees there and I made great connections. Occasionally free food here and there and free soda.

Cons

No benefits. Seems every six months they will promise us we will get healthcare next quarter. Never happens. Meanwhile they'll hire extended family to be the Executive Director of Nothing and give them a sweet luxury company car. Do you know how infuriating it is to work somewhere that won't offer you healthcare when it is a healthcare job?

POLITICS. Even if you try to avoid them you are negatively impacted by the family who owns this company. Unless you are related to them you will never, ever be promoted on merit. Period.

- Bad hires: In the beginning I think MedExpert hired a lot of great talent and good doctors, but now a lot of the good employees have left. When I started here they told me they would be the "next google of healthcare." They can't even hire fast enough to replace the people who leave. The owners family members are lazy, swan into the office at 11am after morning yoga and do not care about the people or culture and make people feel like you should just be lucky to work for them. It's sad - a lot of good talented people leave because they see it is a dead end job if you're not in the family.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the leadership- they really do nothing all day and chaos ensues on their projects. That is a red flag. Look at who actually gets things done and delivers completed projects- promote those people.
    Treat your hard working employees with respect and recognize how dedicated they are.

3. "transition from temp to full time"

I have been working at MedExpert full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I came into MedExpert during a busy time and was hired initially as a temp doing various tasks and i ended up liking the job and the culture and was then hired full time from that
    the pros I think were how easy it was to transition to a full time role and also the training i get is really helpful

Cons

The cons i think include the location of the work place because its far from where i live, but redwood city has a lot of good places in there downtown area.

Advice to Management

this site is making me put advice to management in order to make a full post

5. "New job"

I have been working at MedExpert full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like the people i work with and I like the location, it is easy to get to and convenient for me. The job is pretty strait forward and easy to get a hold of. There are times when there is a lot going on and then some times when it is really laid back. I don't have a lot to do yet in the quiet times, but i see other people when you have been here for awhile get more things to do. I also like how clean everything is and the snacks.

Cons

Sometimes its to much information for me to grasp all at once, but i think that'll get easier and the management seems to be making changes to things. I hope that benefits get bigger too.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice yet, but i have to write something here.

"Run far far away!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at MedExpert full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is decent, but there are no benefits.

Cons

The management team needs more training on how to manage anybody. Their a family started company, so they don't have structure or follow basic standard rules. Its like an adult high school.

Advice to Management

Get training ASAP!!!! You'll have better staff turnout.

"MedExpert"

Current Employee - MIC
    Current Employee - MIC

I have been working at MedExpert full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company is good because it is a good way to talk to people and help them with their problems with health and benefits. Also good because company is clean, respectful, and seems to be making changes that are a lot better for the employees. I also like my coworkers, they are a good gorup of people that I would like to hang with even outside of work

Cons

SOmetimes its hard to leave the problems at the door when i leave, the people we help sometimes have really difficult things they might be going through, but that's why i went into this job in the first place. And maybe a clearer path to how to rise up would be helpful.

Advice to Management

I like the changes that you have made already to make the employees feel cared for. Sometimes its hard to stick to a schedule because you never know how long a call goes or if someone calls in and its during your break.

"A Sinking Ship...."

Former Employee - Medical Coordinator-RN
    Former Employee - Medical Coordinator-RN

I worked at MedExpert full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great idea, terrible execution. Decent hours, no nights, and no weekends (normally). They sometimes provide free lunch on Fridays. Very flexible for those who have children or people who enjoy traveling (but PTO is not provided). Leave work at work and you don't have to take it home with you. At times, you do feel good when you are successful in helping people.

Hard working and friendly coworkers, even though they are not appreciated.

Cons

This is a family run call center business that is done so poorly. Employees are not valued, respected, and are underpaid. There is an extremely high turnover rate. Executives aren't truthful with employees or the clients. Clients leave and employees are given stories or are not told at all.

Its similar to a secret society. Closed doors, arguments between the execs/family members.
    Higher level management talk poorly about long time employees after they leave.

Good employees leave, almost all of the nurses that were here have moved on as well since there is not a future with this company. The nurses and MDs that are left are not utilized for their skills and education.

Employees are underpaid and there is no room for growth. Technology is only applicable to this company so you cannot take the experience using the system to a future position.

No health benefits (even though this is a health centered company), no PTO, minimal sick time enforced by law.

Executives have luxury vehicles while employees have no health insurance.

No protocols or procedures in place. Employees will get scolded for doing something incorrectly, but management doesn't even know how to do things themselves. Multiple executives telling employees to do things differently.

Do not see a future of this company at all, will be surprised if it is still in business in a year from now.

Advice to Management

Give daily operations management to an individual that is NOT part of the family. Let that person take the reigns. Take in outside input on how the business should run. Get in touch with reality.

"working for a family run business when you're not part of the family is rough"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Good hours, leave work at home when you peace out of the office.
    Coworkers who aren't managment- without them I would have ditched this place long ago. No amount of free soda can make up for how bad it is except I've made good friends here.
    Good idea and potential for helping lots of people, but poorly executed by management.
    Innovative product and computer systems.

Cons

Overall pretty sketchy and chilly vibe. There is a sense that if you aren't family you are a worthless slacker waste of money to the company, whereas the family management barely comes into the office and when they do enjoy 4 hour lunches to go do yoga. Whereas all other employees get written up if we clock back in more the 4 minutes past our official scheduled lunch time.
    Management buy themselves Lexus, Jaguar and Mercades but claim the business is not making enough money to offer their employees health insurance. They would rather pay the penalty fee to the government for not offering insurance than offer benefits- shows a complete lack of appreciation or care about their employees.
    CEO rules by fear and intimidation, has yelling and swearing problem.
    No other benefits offered at all except bare minimum PTO enforced by the government.
    Goals, priorities, targets and expectations change pretty randomly and arbitrarily.

Advice to Management

Enough with the planted positive reviews claiming that all the negative reviews are made by one "bitter" person. Every single employee who works here that isn't part of the family is bitter, because we have no career path and are not appreciated.
    Wish directors had mandatory period of building experience at other companies that's not owned by family so they could develop leadership skills and learn best practices.
    Promote based on merit not based on DNA.
    Develop career path for people in the call center because right now it feels like a totally dead end job.
    Consider why is there such a high turnover rate? Treat employees with mutual respect instead of disdain. Foster a collaborative instead of us vs you atmosphere.
    You've got some great employees still left at MedExpert who haven't quit- consider developing this talent.

"Medical Information Coordinator"

Current Employee - Medical Information Coordinator
    Current Employee - Medical Information Coordinator

I have been working at MedExpert full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The call center is open from 6/7am to 8pm, which means if you work 40 hours a week there is some flexibility in your hours.
    -Job attracts good people because of the nature of the work. The job is about helping people.
    -Good office experience and a great entry-level position to break into the healthcare system.
    -Flexible with time off/sick leave if needed.
    -Very flexible for parents who have children.
    -Free soda and occasional free lunch.
    -Organized company with clear expectations and clear protocols.

Cons

-Management lacks people skills and soft skills which makes it hard to be an employee there. A lot of fear of management.
    -High turnover which includes several terminations, high performers tending to quit, and newer employees quitting before they finish training.
    -Unreasonable expectations of what MICs can handle in workload.
    -Management speaks badly of others and publicly embarrasses employees who mess up. This comes out on the floor or in meetings.
    -No benefits or PTO, three days of sick leave.

Advice to Management

This would be an excellent place to work if the relationship between the employees and managers were resolved. Maybe some training in relational skills and leadership skills for management would help?

"Growth @ MedExpert"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at MedExpert full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is experiencing a lot of growth right now & there is going to be a lot of fun change. If you can understand what we do, you would want every person to have access to this product & that's where the passion comes in (who wouldn't want to feel passionate about their job?!).

We do big things for large amounts of people. I am tired and fulfilled when I leave every night and enjoy thinking about work and how I can do better at my job. I'm trusted with a lot and I know it; I want to make sure I succeed and show others their trust in me is not misguided.

Cons

Ex employees no matter where they have worked -- they are easily disgruntled because when they don't cut it at their job for many different reasons, they want to lash out... --- when this happens, people feel upset and want to blame others... intro this site.

Hopefully when the company gets even larger, there will be more people who will have time to write positive reviews, but I wouldn't expect it because when people are happy (and not incentivized to go and write positive reviews) there is no need... I certainly only came to this because of an accident and felt like the need to read something true and positive was important.

It is when people are upset and disgruntled that they look for an outlet to "harm," "do damage," and be "disruptive" ...

I am sorry to read these negative reviews & sorry for EVERYONE in the company who has to read it because it is really painful and is a form of 'cyber bullying' - there are real concerns that people should voice, and I would hope that if they really were being treated poorly they could go talk to someone (which I know first hand is so easy and every time I am listened to) -- this company at one point or another allowed you to support your family and allowed you to have a flexible work schedule because we understand putting family first.

Advice to Management

Try and see the positive - there are FAR MORE people who enjoy working for you and for this company. Please take note of who they are and reward them. Positive reinforcement goes a long way, at least in my book.