Medcor Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Philip Seeger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Serious lack of leadership in upper management (in 7 reviews)

• You're constantly monitored and only get a 20-min and a 10- min break in an 8-hr shift (in 3 reviews)

"Triage RN"

Pros

Great culture, great company, opportunity for advancement. Work from home.

Cons

Miss socialization of working aoff site.

"Triage RN"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Medcor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Finally a job I can see myself during forever! Bye bye bedside burnout. This role let’s me be a nurse without the hospital politics and exhausting physical demands.

Cons

Only having 8 hour shifts is behind the times. Would love a 10 or 12 option since I cannot change for just over a year.

Advice to Management

Offer better schedule options.

3. "Triage RN"

I have been working at Medcor full-time

Pros

Nice change of pace as compared to typical health care jobs, great co-workers, good support from immediate supervisor and training.

Cons

Horrible benefits, cannot retain staff, senior management does not care or recognize team in a genuine way.

Advice to Management

Not sure who is responsible for current leaders but since the change work is no longer fun and most of us no longer feel appreciated.

"Triage Nurse"

I worked at Medcor full-time

Pros

I think the only pro is being able to work from home so you can control the lighting and environment. They offer some pretty great wellness incentives, that’s about it.

Cons

This company micromanages every single thing a nurse does. If you’re taking a little longer to wrap up a call and take notes, you’ll have the supervisor messaging you asking what’s taking so long. You get an attitude from the majority of the supervisors if you ask to use the bathroom in your own home (even if it’s basically the first time you’ve ever gone on a nonscheduled break and it only takes 1 minute). There’s no flexibility at all, you basically cannot take vacations if you’re new. They nitpick on the most ridiculous things while in training.

Advice to Management

Value your employees, only hire people you can really trust. Train the shift supervisors to not guilt trip for asking for a 1 minute bathroom run. An employee should never feel guilty for asking to use the restroom quickly in their own home. You need to find a better balance for remote employees.

"Lofty goals, poor management solutions"

Current Employee - Triage Nurse in McHenry, IL
    Current Employee - Triage Nurse in McHenry, IL

I have been working at Medcor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home, select your own shift, only handle one client at a time, good wellness incentives, decent benefits

Cons

-Terrible PTO (only 13 days per year until you've been there 5 years and they don't grant requests in full unless you submit it a year in advance). PTO doesn't carry over, & it's not earned based on hours worked like most hospitals.
    -Poor pay for an RN at only $26 per hour. After working at a hospital you will most likely have to work OT to bring home what you're used to.
    -Inadequate leave policies. Triage RNs are not eligible for FMLA leave. They employ many young women, but refuse to provide any maternity leave. Instead, they allow a short term, unpaid disability leave with no guarantee of a job when you return.
    -Micromanagement. You're constantly monitored and only get a 20-min and a 10- min break in an 8-hr shift. Any extra requests for getting up for restroom breaks or a glass of water are frowned upon at best, and at worst, penalized.

Advice to Management

As a company, you should be ashamed that nurses are having to beg coworkers to cover shifts for them because you refuse to grant them a day off for their child's surgery, with more than enough advance notice given.

I've had nurses offer to pay me an additional $20 per hour to take their shift because they're so desperate to not have to cancel their $10,000 Disney vacation because you won't give them 3 hours off on a Wednesday. That's pathetic, and that is your fault. If you really appreciated your employees you would never let that happen.

You are taking a group of people who are used to submitting a schedule request 2-3 months in advance so they can plan around their lives and tying them down to a computer with no schedule flexibility whatsoever and no real PTO (offering 13 days per year but refusing to grant it when requested does NOT count as giving us PTO). No wonder you're hemorrhaging nurses out the eyeballs.

Many of your RNs are Millennials, and we value freedom, flexibility, and spontaneity over Spartan schedules and micromanagement. We want to be able to travel with our families. At this job, we have no possibility of ever taking off more than a day on a weekend because there is so little PTO available and what we have is never granted in full.

Many of us would benefit from a mental health day every now and then, because the micromanagement and angry, rude clients really get to you after a while. You want to decrease ECW? Add more breaks.

It seems like management is so far removed from the wants and habits of nurses that they have no idea how any of us really feel. They're wondering why they lose thousands constantly training nurses who leave as soon as they discover how this company really works. Take an active role in obtaining anonymous suggestions and feedback so we don't feel like we'll be targeted if we speak openly.

Change your scheduling methods. Requiring every other weekend is fine - that's normal for nursing. Maybe set 3 shifts (3am-11am, 11am-7pm, 7pm-3am), allow nurses to select their shift, and make the schedule so that we can request time off 2 months in advance and actually be granted that time. You can still offer incentive hours. It's very obvious that the schedule is all over the place with you guys trying to fit people in according to their specified available times. We don't want such huge flexibility with specific hours available... We want flexibility with our time off so we can have lives too.

6. "Employee"

I have been working at Medcor full-time

Pros

Great company and growing rapidly.

Cons

Lack communication between management and the rest of staff

"RUN AWAY from this 'Good Ol Boy" company!!!!!!!!"

Former Employee - OHT in Redmond, OR
    Former Employee - OHT in Redmond, OR

I worked at Medcor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best thing about Medcor is the people at the clinics, the next best thing was leaving this job

Cons

I have no idea how this company is still in business! HR is clueless, management team is the bottom of the barrel. All the good employees leave in under a year. I would not want my worse enemy working for this company. If you have ANY other options of jobs, take them!!!! Here you well be under appreciated, over worked, disrespected, and under paid.

Advice to Management

Have all of management, including CEO, go to a Management 101 course. Actually listen to the people at the sites, stop micro managing, get rid of "The Good Ol Boy" system that is currently in place.

"No room for career growth (10 yr employee)"

I worked at Medcor full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Autonomous at most locations on site. If you do your job well, you are for the most part left alone.

Cons

Management was very poor - no connection to those in the field. Lots of perks if you work at HQ... none for those in the field.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to employees.

"Telephonic Triage Nurse"

I have been working at Medcor full-time

Pros

Really great company to work for. Friendly and helpful. Pay is decent considering you are working from home.

Cons

No cons as of yet.

"Triage"

I have been working at Medcor full-time

Pros

Friendly coworkers, wellness program, support, fruit,

Cons

Short breaks only 20 min