MediaMath Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki
Joe Zawadzki

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/life balance is also a major draw card; the work environment is very flexible" (in 57 reviews)

• "Amazing collection of smart people, focused on a common goal" (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some growing pains as organization continues accelerated growth" (in 8 reviews)

• "Amazingly, he's still employed though no one on our engineering team can explain what he does" (in 6 reviews)

"Challenging computer science problems with a great culture to boot."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Very academic environment on the engineering side, spawned from the difficult computer science problems the technical folks need to tackle to scale the business.
    - The most interesting engineering work you will probably ever work on in your career. Digital advertising naturally lends itself to some of the most fascinating technical problems you will ever work on as an engineer.
    - Unbelievably kind, smart, and compassionate people.
    - Good market fit, scaled product, and potential to take more market share from our competitors.

Cons

I left to give to give another role a try at a different firm, but I will always miss the folks I left at MM. And I would recommend MediaMath to any of my friends, especially engineering folks, because that was most of my exposure to the firm. Now I’m realizing I put a pro in the cons section, but I really don’t have anything negative to say here.

"Great company in a fast-paced industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am constantly learning, and they urge you to take ownership of projects very early on. My colleagues are smart and friendly, and the company as a whole has a fun culture. There is a dedicated HR team that is revamping MediaMath's learning and development and career path opportunities. There is also a true emphasis on work/life balance. The office location and views are also amazing.

Cons

The pace at which you have to learn and contribute can be overwhelming, especially in the beginning. There are also growing pains at the moment, but this should be expected from a company growing this quickly.

"The reason why this will always be a mid-tier company"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

CEO is super sharp and passionate about the company. Watch any of his youtube videos,,, who doesn't want to work with this guy.
    Staff level employees and a good culture within the people who actually implement.

Cons

Middle management. I have caught VP's being dishonest. A number of them. Be honest. Management suffers from the NYC-cut throat-me first culture. That would be fine if "me first" translated to "the company = me first" but in reality it means "me personally first".

Advice to Management

This culture may be fine in Sales and Biz Dev but not in the rest of the orgs. Gut Product, Engineering, and some of Ops. HR should be gutted as well. I have a number of friends who have been passed over who were completely qualified for the jobs but HR didn't see a fit. Product isn't keeping pace with the industry and have passed on rockstars.

"Amazing and innovative company"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

The most helpful and kind people you will ever meet! There are so many great opportunities to learn more and grow as a professional.

Cons

The food and snacks are too hard to refuse.

"Marketing Engineer"

Former Employee - Marketing Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Such great people. Really high caliber.
    - Professional but also casual
    -Built some great friendships there
    - MM builds the tech (TerminalOne) that many agencies use.
    - Great Pantry
    - Great views
    - They focus a lot on personal growth.

Cons

- It's been more than a month since I ended their career accelerator, Marketing Engineering Program, and I am still out of a job.
    - Many people say trust the process and there is a false sense of security when going through the accelerator. They are trying to help with introductions but not gaining much traction.

It is a great company I just am finding it hard to get to the next step.

Advice to Management

You are building a company. Keep focusing on education and professional improvement of your employees. You have a great culture and are becoming a real household name.

"Frat House Start-Up"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flex hours, open PTO, casual dress code, unlimited snacks and drinks

Cons

Juvenile HR, high turnover, lack of gender equality at all levels

MediaMath Response

Jul 5, 2018 – Global VP, People & Talent Development

We’re surprised by this feedback. Our HRBP team has an average of 6-years’ experience and our turnover is at a healthy level compared to the industry. Our culture is highly entrepreneurial and people... More

"Disappointed"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food sometimes?
    If you are new to the advertising tech scene, then this is a good start (but you can do better).

Cons

Work culture.
    I got mine attitude.
    No knowledge sharing.

MediaMath Response

Jul 5, 2018 – Global VP, People & Talent Development

MediaMath believes strongly in creating a diverse culture where people are looked after and given opportunity to collaborate, grow and develop. I’d encourage you to reach out to me directly (in... More

"Product Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Work life balance is great
    2. Lot of interesting problems to solve
    3. Co-workers are great

Cons

Mediamath has gone from a democracy and meritocracy to one man shouting orders from the ivory tower. Product leadership, while open to suggestions, has not laid out a clear vision for what is it that Mediamath is vying to do in the next 2-5 years. While I understand revenue is king, queen and the kingdom, the lack of product vision is seriously concerning. If we decided to prioritize our clients' demands as opposed to having the same priority on EVERYTHING and spent some time and engineering resources on building a solid product, we could possibly cut down the amount of money we spend on schmoozing the clients with fancy lunches and dinners and actually sell them a product that serves their need, than a constant promise for a better future.

it also doesn't help that it is one person running the show. The CEO isn't as engaged as he used to be. Mediamath is surviving because of the stature of the CEO as a visionary in the ad-tech space. People in product are falling like flies and the place has a feel of a sinking ship.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who have been in the company for a while. Hire people with fresh ideas (and not your friends) and encourage a culture of counter questioning. Move away from promoting people to leadership positions who say 'Yes' to every idea that you ask them to pursue. Product's main responsibility is to prioritize. If a Product leader says YES to every initiative, know that nothing is being worked on.

Stop spending time and money on things like 'Happiness Training' and 'Monthly All Hands'. Encourage people to set realistic and stretch goals, hold them accountable for the realistic ones and reward them for the stretch ones they hit. Smart and dedicated employees stay when they are challenged, not when they are forced to go to 'meetings and trainings'

"Engagement Associate"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

Great place to work - everyone is so helpful, friendly, and just an all around great atmosphere. Everyone likes to have fun, go out together, and the team events are extremely fun. Wouldn't imagine working anywhere else.

Cons

Deadlines can be stressful at times.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!!

"Where have you been all this time?!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is unparalleled. People from all over the world who are encouraged to share ideas, innovate and mentor.

Gender and diversity is like no other. Fully inclusive.

Company updates and department updates are regular, professional and fun.

Intelligent people - genuine respect for ideas (no talking over each other).

Genuine career development and a proper HR team and internal learning development team.

Tech is like no other - and teams in place to support and develop the roadmap.

Industry leader!

Cons

More systems integration needed (their own BI platforms)

Advice to Management

You’re cooking a recipe for success. Keep doing what you’re doing.