MediaMath Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2020

3.6
MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki
Joe Zawadzki
Pros
  • "They trust in their employees, and the work/life balance is really good(in 63 reviews)

• "There are so many nice and smart people and teams you'll get to work with and meet(in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • "All good problems - the company is growing so quickly that the dynamic environment can be hard to manage(in 14 reviews)

• "This is a bigger issue than just growing pains(in 11 reviews)

"MediaMath is changing"

5.0
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

New leadership, transparency, flexibility, accountability for results. These are all things that were lacking when I started 2 years ago and it is very exciting to be part of this transformation.

Cons

Make sure we do not over commit to doing too many things and revert back to old ways.

2. "Great place to grow your career"

4.0
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at MediaMath full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really big, interesting CS problems to work on. No futzing about with weak tea python/nodejs services you would have at your average CRUD SASS company. You have to use serious tools because the scale is bigtime. Many services have to handle billions of requests/datapoints hourly. Working on these kinds of problems is how you grow as an engineer. The company has comparable scale to FAANG but cant/doesnt pay as well, but they compensate for it by being really chill. No expectation of long hours, no packing stressful amounts of work into sprints. Want to actually use your unlimited PTO? No problem. You have kids and errands? No problem. Very flexible WFH policies. Right now we have summer Friday where every Friday is a half day. Netflix would pay more, but having your life back is priceless.

Cons

10 years of techdebt overhang that slows development down significantly and causes reliability issues/firedrills. Management is serious about addressing it, so there is a silver lining, and you may get to rebuild some stuff from scratch, which is nice. That said, I don't think a day goes by without some production incident.

3. "Good"

4.0
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath full-time

Pros

Great office and work environment.

Cons

Too many different products that caused confusion between teams operationally.

4. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath full-time

Pros

- chill environment - average work place

Cons

It really is an average place

5. "Learned a lot but very little work/life balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath full-time

Pros

This is a fast-paced and constantly evolving industry, which provided great learning opportunities. MediaMath has a lot of smart people, and I enjoyed collaborating with individuals across different business units.

Cons

There was very little work/life balance. There were not enough resources for the volume of work.

August 7, 2020Manager, HR Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad that you experienced learning opportunities and enjoyed collaborating with Mathletes across the business. Though we are continuously evaluating our business and resourcing needs as we work to transform our company, there are times in which we all experience heavier workloads. At the same time, we aim to provide employees with flexibility and a healthy work/life balance, so we’re disappointed to hear that you did not experience that quality of life at MediaMath. We would appreciate hearing more from you so that we can be sure to improve in the future. Please reach out with any further comments directly to people@mediamath.com.

6. COVID-19

"Love the MediaMath culture!"

5.0

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

Transparent, supportive, and extremely helpful during a challenging time during the global pandemic. The company has been extremely thoughtful about keeping our organization informed on what we are doing to remain on track and has also made an effort to provide flexibility for people as personal/professional lives are blended during COVID-19.

Cons

There are none at this time!

"Salary insights"

Former Employee - Software Engineer-II in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath full-time

Pros

Good work culture and team

Cons

No job security, decisions are made all of a sudden and can impact you

June 11, 2020Manager, HR Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback. We’re pleased to hear you generally enjoyed our culture and your team. We’re in a state of transformation, and some of that involves changing our structure to suit the needs of our business and drive continued growth. Like most companies around the world, MediaMath was impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, which required us to act quickly nd unexpectedly to reduce our workforce in ways we had not anticipated.

"No job security"

1.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at MediaMath full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent culture and office perks.

Cons

NO job security, lacks cross teamwork, Morale is low. The ego is high among team leaders.

June 11, 2020Manager, HR Business Partner

We appreciate your feedback. We’re glad you have enjoyed the positive culture MediaMath strives to build. As we’re transforming our company to better deliver the products and services for which we’re known while improving our employee experience, we’ve been working on our team structures to increase collaboration and teamwork. Through these changes, we’ve also invested in key leadership roles within the organization, bringing in a new president, CFO, SVP of Product and, most recently, Chief People Officer and a Head of Marketing & Communications who was promoted from within. In the midst of this transformation and work, we were impacted, as many companies around the world were, by the global COVID-19 pandemic, which necessitated us acting quickly and unexpectedly, making some difficult decisions to reduce our workforce in ways we had not anticipated.

"once had potential. now feels like a sinking ship"

I worked at MediaMath full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent culture and good office perks. Work life balance can be good depending on the team you work for. Most of the people are great.

Cons

Senior Management restructured at least 4 times in my 4 years there. Senior Management promoted people they "liked" into management roles that had no skill, ability or capacity to lead teams. The new president - who we were all hopeful would correct many of the problems- did not do a full 360 evaluation of the org before starting layoffs. The company has since gone through several rounds of layoffs and closed several offices internationally. Sales and Marketing have operated without strong leadership for several years which has led to an inability to hit revenue targets. They have rushed rollouts of products and offerings that the company cannot actually support.

August 7, 2020Manager, HR Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback. We take pride in our people and our culture, and we’re glad that was a positive part of your experience working at MediaMath. While we understand your concern with senior leadership changes, we have been investing in and strengthening our leadership team as we work to transform our company and our industry to deliver the most responsive and accountable advertising technology. We’ve bolstered our leadership over the past nine months, bringing in a new President (who you reference) as well as a new CFO, Chief People Officer, SVP of Product, Chief Client Officer, and a Head of Marketing & Communications who was promoted from within. Like many companies around the world, we couldn’t anticipate or plan for the COVID pandemic and, as a result, we did have to make some difficult decisions and quickly with respect to our workforce in order to fortify the business for the long term. We’re working together to ensure our teams are set up to continue delivering the outstanding products and services for which MediaMath is known.

""Putting the Math back in MediaMath" - Where was it in the first place?"

I worked at MediaMath full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Incredibly flexible unlimited PTO and WFH policies, great internal education and training resources. Young company with potential to be a 21st century pillar in marketing and advertising. Everything you see in these other reviews are true.

Cons

A majority of the five star ratings here are from Marketing Engineer Program participants - interns vying for a full-time position. For a company so reliant on tech, you would think there would be a solid Data Science department but there hasn't been for a while now. There isn't a dedicated lead for the company's Data vision, and without a centralized vision, the pipes start to rust and commercial teams have to work twice as hard. It's a coat of paint over rotted wood. Departments are siloed; that hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Contractors are brought in to rubber cement the thing together, but with the paint falling off the wood and the wood falling apart, it's all just to get to the end of the FY.

Found 330 reviews