MediaMath Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki
Joe Zawadzki

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance is also a major draw card; the work environment is very flexible (in 55 reviews)

• Amazing collection of smart people, focused on a common goal (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Amazingly, he's still employed though no one on our engineering team can explain what he does (in 6 reviews)

• HR department was always having problems (in 5 reviews)

"Best place I've worked at in 10+ years as a software engineer!"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is the right size IMO. Not too big to be stifled by process and not too small to be at your desk for 10 hours a day trying to make ends meet. There's a ton to do and to innovate on. You can pick and choose what you work on to a certain extent and you are responsible for pushing a project to completion. Working in various languages and with various technologies is great. There's a ton of old and interesting code as well (of course), but new features can be made into their own thing where you're able to experiment with your choice of technologies. The people are great and we're very interconnected even though I am remote for most of the week. A lively and vibrant office culture makes coming in to the office fun.

Cons

Too much free food and alcohol!? No, really... Not much.

Advice to Management

Maybe employees could use a little more direction at times instead of being left to their own devices, but then again... I like that. I guess highly motivated people will find that kind of thing rewarding, while unmotivated people might find it hard to get stuff done.

2. "Great growth experience!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's a lot of brilliance, ambition, and fun at MediaMath. You'll be pushed out of your comfort zone and have a lot of laughs along the way.

Cons

Learning as much in one year as you'd learn in two years elsewhere can be exhausting.

Advice to Management

When you invest a little more in alignment up front - it pays dividends later.

3. "Growing Pains"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

The company is growing fast and has a lot of great talent working there.

Cons

Not enough structure on the product size and so things are falling through the cracks.

Advice to Management

Need to double down on the product and have cross functional/org representation so there are no silos of work happening.

Nov 8, 2017 – Chief Product Officer

Great observation and I agree that we have an amazing group of talented individuals working here. MediaMath has a complex set of products that must work together seamlessly in order to give our... More

4. "wonderful company if you like constant change!"

I worked at MediaMath full-time

Pros

Great perks and benefits, super smart people in all roles, industry leading tech and opportunity for growth if you want it

Cons

this isn't really a con but as of a year or so ago they hadn't really figured out how to be a big a big company, structure and management were changing CONSTANTLY which is fun if you can handle it. i'm sure they will figure it out, the bones of the company are solid.

"The best Frontend engineers I've worked with easily"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Frontend engineering team is extremely talented. There is no reason MediaMath engineering should not be competing at the level of Google, Facebook, Apple and friends. They have the talent to do so. We could probably use some direction from management and trust from management to do the right things to further the business goals.

- Location is wonderful.
    - Office is beautiful.
    - The people are great
    - You will like who you work with.
    - Work from home policy is great.
    - PTO policy is great.
    - I feel like my VP of Engineering is great.
    - My product manager is particularly helpful. She's almost as good as the last one I had at a previous employer and she has far less experience than he had.

Cons

The product is disappointing despite having the most consistently talented Frontend engineering team I've seen in my decade of Frontend experience. I haven't figured out why its so disappointing yet. Everyone seems constrained and under-utilized or just plain blocked from creating an amazing product due to the lack of a full UX team. Most companies would kill to have the Frontend engineering team we have at MediaMath. I hope they realize they have a diamond in the ruff here. MediaMath leadership just needs to make it shine.

Documentation is lacking when on boarding. You are just kind of on your own if your team is not lucky enough to have someone who's been working at MediaMath for a few years.

For what MediaMath offers we need to come up with structured on boarding and education for each and every employee. Each employee should feel empowered to provide value to the company. Its very hard to do this if you employees do not even fully understand the business which is crucial in MediaMath's business.

On the Frontend side of things people are encouraged to work in silos but still on a single app. Decisions can feel like they are top down. However, we've been working to find ways to make decisions a conversation rather than a top down approach. I'd like to be more connected to the various teams which can be difficult when people are spread across so many offices.

Advice to Management

We need a real and structured program to make sure every MediaMath employee that comes through the door understands the business. I think a 2-4 week on-boarding program where new hires focus on learning the MediaMath business in a classroom like setting is probably in the company's best interest in the long run.

One off classes every other week for an hour over the phone just does not help people to really know the business and understand it in a way that allows them to push it forward. As it stands right now on-boarding takes longer than it has to IMO as a result of a lack of structure as it relates to people understanding the business.

One other thing is we could do a better job with changing technology and trends. Changes will happen. We need to have a way to make changes if we need to in the future and without having to overhaul the whole app. The UI for our app needs a complete overhaul IMO from the UX to the design to the code.

Overall though, Mike, Steve and Joe and the rest of the MediaMath team are really really smart people and likable people.

Sep 20, 2017 – Chief Product Officer

This is helpful feedback, and I wanted to take the opportunity to address some of these comments. All the items you mention are areas we also feel strongly have to constantly evolve and improve to... More

6. "Top of the pack"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

The entrepreneurial culture and high internal transparency make it a great and unique workplace. The management team is years ahead of competitors and they don't overreact to market shifts. Work/life balance is unmatched.

Cons

Compensation and benefits are slightly below industry average. The management team and senior leaders are often changing roles and priorities, making it hard to set a course.

Advice to Management

Optionality can be distracting and make life difficult for employees.

"Great place for engineering"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked at Mediamath for over a year. In Engineering it's a lot less top-down than I've seen at most other organizations both in terms of managerial structure or attitude as well as technology stack. There's a healthy lack of self-satisfaction in the technological status quo, and instead there seems to be a constant striving in doing things cheaper, faster, and better. This does not mean to say the environment is high-pressure because, on the contrary, I've found it to be one of the most relaxed places I've worked. We have unlimited PTO and it's for real, meaning if you are capable of delivering good results then no one questions when or how you go about it.

Other pros: People and culture are friendly and diverse; good benefits and free snacks; the view is awesome.

Cons

Onboarding could be better; wiki organization is pretty bad.

8. "Finance"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing enviorment, great people, great perks, great work-life balance

Cons

None I can think of

"Whiplash, frustration, and big egos in senior leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MediaMath is a great company for work/life balance. Expectations are such that you just need to do your job and aren't held to specific hours.

MediaMath does a great job in hiring smart and driven people, and if you end up working for a solid manager who's interested in helping you grow, you're life here will be productive in your own development.

Cons

While MediaMath does a good job hiring talent, they don't help themselves at all on retention. It only takes about 12 months for solid performers to see what's it's like and either resign themselves to staying in their role long enough to avoid questions in future job interviews, or start looking immediately for their next step.

Leadership here is quite poor. Over a two year period, the company completely switched departmental priorities multiple times based on the latest "opportunity" in the market without adhering to a long term vision and without properly resourcing against current commitments. This is a culture of "no" internally, but "yes" to everything under the sun externally. This is the place to work if you're willing to sit at your desk and do a limited role, and aren't easily bothered by meetings and inefficiency. If you have suggestions on how to improve processes, expect to fight hard and get nowhere.

On culture, it's only as deep as your manager. In the Cambridge office, the engineering team lacks leadership of any kind, and the attrition over the last 12 months is evidence of that. The engineering lead for the last two years is openly disrespectful of his own team and his product peers, and has loudly yelled at and berated others in the office with no repercussions. Amazingly, he's still employed though no one on our engineering team can explain what he does.

If you're hurting for a job, sure, jump on board here until you find your next step. Otherwise, keep looking. C-level leaders are much more focused on getting acquired for a price that begins with a 'b' than making a quality product and aligning resources to serve market needs (reportedly turned down an acquisition offer for $900M).

Advice to Management

Commit yourselves to understanding what leadership really means. It includes humility, an ability to listen, and the competence to provide a practical vision that you can commit to.

Also, and it's amazing that this even needs to be said, ripping into your direct reports in public meetings doesn't make up for a lack of competence. This is especially true of product leadership at the most senior level.

Sep 18, 2017 – SVP, Engineering

Your feedback is appreciated. MediaMath is certainly a fast-paced environment! Our capacity to lead the market demands agility and innovation. We've undertaken a series of internal initiatives... More

10. "Great People & Learning Experience"

I worked at MediaMath full-time

Pros

-Incredibly smart and innovative employees
    -Collaborative spirit
    -Great benefits and company-wide events
    -Excellent work-life balance

Cons

-Some disconnect between leadership and employees
    -Insufficient compensation
    -Several org restructures
    -Lack of vision