MediaMath Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki
Joe Zawadzki

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance, feel free to work from home (in 52 reviews)

• smart people; pockets of brilliance (in 32 reviews)

Cons

1. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At MediaMath, you can build your career and have fun doing it. Staff at all levels are entrusted with responsibilities that allow them and the company to grow. Awesome work/life balance with flexible hours and unlimited PTO, plus the ability to work from home - but since the office environment is great (friendly co-workers, stocked kitchen, chair massages, volunteer events) you may not want to!

Cons

The company and industry are intricately complex, which may be dizzying for those new to the field. It may also be difficult to integrate across different teams.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Growth isn't everything - Egos and Weak Links"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers on the lower/mid levels were nice. I didn't personally experience too much office politics but I also didn't rock the boat that much. Beautiful working environment and delicious commitment to snacks.
    Hours were pretty reasonable for me and pay was ok
    International offices seemed to be better organized.

Cons

HR department was always having problems. Weak members of the team stuck around for too long, strong members of the team would move on quickly. There was always turn over in the leadership (c-level and middle) positions which led to confusion throughout other departments.
    Internal rating system (for managers, employees etc) changed twice in my tenure there and both times did not seem useful or to be reflected in bonuses.
    My own managers were nice on a personal level but were also very cliquey, frequently hiring their buddies for positions they weren't necessarily suited to and not fully supporting the lower level staff even though they were picking up the slack. Culture, fun and perks took a down turn once the costs of being in the new space came into full effect.
    Hired many people during my tenure and then laid off a bunch (myself included) which speaks to the disorder in HR and lack of communication.

Advice to Management

Hire outside your social circle more. Diversity at the highest level was lacking. For a long stretch (about 10-12 months) every c-level position was white and only one was a woman. Middle management looked better but didn't necessarily act better because they were taking cues from above.

Stop re-organizing teams before they've had a chance to do their work. While it's admirable to see when something's not working and change it, it's also very confusing.

"Junior"

Current Employee - Junior Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Junior Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- smart people; pockets of brilliance
    - work is engaging, projects are stimulating
    - offices are beautiful
    - industry can be a rush

Cons

- high attrition
    - below average pay
    - Prioritization

Advice to Management

Middle management training :)

5. "a review from a MEP"

Current Employee - Marketing Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-incredible, resourceful people
    -amazing office space and location
    -fantastic work/life balance

Cons

there are no apparent cons

"Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

MediaMath is a pioneer and leader in Ad-tech and there are plenty of challenging and interesting engineering, analytics, and data-science problems to work on. This is a great place for acquiring valuable skills in these areas, especially given the vast amount and variety of data available. There is a culture that is open to new technologies.

Cons

There are occasional shifting priorities, but I think this is normal for a company that is positioning itself for success.

"Started off very good but has lost its way"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible working arrangements. A degree of WFH is no problem for most engineers.

Very smart people with a good engineering culture.

Sometimes the engineering work can be interesting.

Cons

The company feels like it's lost it's way compared to three years ago, and it's been clear that senior management still haven't figured out what direction they want the company to go in.

Layoffs last year were really poorly handled and shook the confidence of those who stayed.

Not enough time for engineers to resolve mounting technical debt, due to the pace of new feature work, yet at the same time huge resources have been poured into internal projects that should help engineers radically improve the product, but no-one will take the decision to properly implement.

Advice to Management

Please get a plan for where the company should go and stick to it.

Consider holding a moratorium on new development for a quarter to allow engineering to catch up with tech debt and properly use the new framework that we've been told we'll be switching over to for the last three years or more.

MediaMath Response

Feb 3, 2017 – SVP, Engineering

I recently joined MediaMath (3 months now) and made the decision to come over because I realized early on that the engineering culture here is amazing and quite rare. More importantly, I was super ... More

"Still one of the greatest places to work!"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Creative, empowering, fast paced environment where you can learn a lot very quickly. While some see this as a negative, I personally love the fact that things move quickly, and are constantly changing. MediaMath allows employees to be themselves, share and implement new ideas, and get involved in really cool projects. If you are hardworking, have a great get-it-done attitude, you can be very successful here. If you are entitled, lazy, or negative, you probably won't last long. It's a very adapt or move out culture where the top performers are rewarded and those who can't handle it move on.

Great benefits and perks - beautiful offices, snacks and drinks, fun events like Trivia night and flip cup tournament, open PTO. You get treated like an adult regardless of your role. Work hard and play hard.

Cons

Yes there are constant changes to the org - but it happens in every company! Management has done a much better job of providing more info to teams about company vision.

Some managers aren't flexible about start and end times which seems a little draconian, but most teams are pretty flexible.

"Senior Manager"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible culture of hard-working and collaborative people who are all passionate about the work they do, great work/life balance

Cons

Can be turbulent at times due to the ever-evolving industry - not for those who can't manage constant change

"Absolutely horrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office, free snacks, matching 401k

Cons

Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.I dreaded coming to work here everyday.The most toxic work environment I've ever been in. Most of the positive reviews here have come from the "Marketing Engineers"(MediaMath's glorified intern program) who are entry level folk that come into Mediamath via a special program so they are coddled more than the rest of the org, I don't feel like their reviews are a fair representation of the company for a role where you actually have to accomplish things. The executive that runs the department I worked in is completely inexperienced, and it shows. They are a basically a show pony for MediaMath. Bad leadership aside, this place has the most sketchiest people I've ever met. People are constantly trying to "one up" you behind your back, it's like high school. The product itself is LIGHTYEARS behind anything in the market really, MediaMath is a dinosaur with no real vision-- nothing that is a real big differentiator as most functionality relies on partnerships, which they try and spin into a positive. Love politics? Then this is the place for you, it's DROWNING in it. Decent, smart people who deserved to get promotions never did, and the brownnosers seem to keep moving up the food chain with made up VP titles. It's a joke.

Advice to Management

Keep firing amazing people so you can set them free. Most of the smart ones already are gone or are about to jump ship.

"Marketing Engineer Program"

Current Employee - Marketing Engineer Program in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Engineer Program in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good coverage of the AdTech industry
    Rotational program - cover: AdOps, Campaign Management/Optimisation etc...
    Great office and location
    Highly supported role
    Lots of room for growth

Cons

Low opportunity to stay within the company
    Short program leads to stress in the final weeks

Advice to Management

Be more transparent in the company's developments and what to expect in the coming months/future of the company