Molex Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Molex Vice Chairman and CEO Martin P. Slark
Martin P. Slark

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great team, good work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Great company with good coworkers, good benefits, fair treatment by management (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Some times work life balance becomes challenge (in 7 reviews)

• No Work life balance, more unnecessary work pressure (in 3 reviews)

1. "Global Channel Marketing Supervisor"

Current Employee - Global Channel Marketing Supervisor
    Current Employee - Global Channel Marketing Supervisor

I have been working at Molex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoy working for Molex

Cons

there is no cons thank you

"Not a place to grow at"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Lisle, IL
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Lisle, IL

I worked at Molex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice campus, cafeteria, very nice co-workers, no layoffs during my time there, likeable and more transparent CEO, ambition to expand beyond connectors, secure in the market. I also have built a pretty good network of other engineers who have jumped ship!

Cons

Experience will vary by business unit and team you work in. I can confidently say that there is not a good growth mentality here, more a static mentality, so impending retirees or those not looking particularly for advancement should be happy, depending on manager of course. There is a good underlying philosophy handed down by Koch, though it is neither followed nor enforced amongst management, who are well protected by an impotent HR and their own cadres. You will notice an alarming lack of young employees, as lack of growth will be immediately evident. Interns in my department were not returning and were given rather boring tasks. Bonuses and raises are determined by value, though this will be mandated by managers, so obedience will generally be more valued than the profit you'll add to the company. Managers have also been caught fabricating the 360 reviews supposedly given by fellow coworkers. I've seen sponsored H1B employees (who their EE teams are now mostly made up of) get overworked, have their green card applications delayed, and also get well underpaid for their high qualifications (often with phds) and then vanish once their cards finally come through. So pay is low, benefits on par with a big company, raises and bonuses not guaranteed though generally paltry, and growth mentality entirely lacking. The regular outflow of young engineers should be expected, which has been observed and discussed not only in my business unit but across the company. Since I started at the team of around 20 EEs, there are exactly 2 others who are still there. And when I told them I was leaving, the first thing they did was justify the high turnover with the high demand for our skill set, which more explains why we can leave, not why we do leave.

Advice to Management

This is a tough problem to fix, since the management culture and effective (not stated) philosophy is largely problematic. Were you to craft the work of your interns and young engineers to promote steady and perpetual career growth, find ways for their impact to be observed and celebrated, and of course keep them compensated on par with market value, I suspect some of these problems would be sorted out. Unfortunately, many of these things will never happen with the clubs of managers promoting themselves and their HR-sanctioned abuse. But best of luck trying to pluck out those weeds.

3. "assembly worker"

Former Employee - Assembly Worker
    Former Employee - Assembly Worker

I worked at Molex part-time

Pros

good company and good work environment

Cons

low salaries in compare to other offers

Advice to Management

salary is very low in compare to similar companies

"If you are looking for a career in HR stay away"

I have been working at Molex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having a gym and a cafe is a nice perk to have. The building is setup like a campus so it looks nice.

Cons

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians to do the work so it's common to get burnt out. There's no work life balance so you are expected to work over 40 hours. Because leaders are stuck in their old ways they do not believe in working from home. We all work in silos so there is no teamwork involved. Too many leaders don't do work and just throw their work on their employees. Leaders need to step in for their employees, have their back, encourage them, take time to teach them to become successful. It just seems like managers don't care to develop their team.

Advice to Management

Create a work life balance for your employees. We are essential to the business as well and without this you will keep receiving turnover. Team work should be encouraged it could help with being understaffed and handling more work than one can handle. Ask your employees what will make them happy or what kind of work life balance is important to them and take their feedback seriously. Show that you care. Understand times have changed, we live in a world now where employees want to grow and to have a work life balance.

5. "Good experience; Weird politics"

I have been working at Molex full-time

Pros

I learned how to use all kinds of new equipment in their reliability lab. Good knowledgeable people were always happy to share information. It was great for entry level experience.

Cons

Growing at Molex proved to be a challenge. Management delegated work unevenly, and it was difficult to acquire permission to work on certain projects of interest due to how different departments interact with each other.

Advice to Management

When you have the time, please evaluate how much effort some projects take oppose to others so you can better distribute work. Create more flexibility between teams so that anyone can be trained on nearly any equipment.

6. "engineer"

I have been working at Molex full-time

Pros

laid back job and good benefit + salary

Cons

not motivated, kind of laying back

"Could use some work"

I worked at Molex full-time

Pros

Long standing stable company.

Cons

Old boy company. Middle management not progressive and unable to streamline processes. Many divisions have a power struggle internally and it can make it difficult to accomplish simple tasks for customers.

Advice to Management

Start over, regroup and hire the right people. Should not be a frat house.

"Worst career move anyone can make"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lisle, IL

I worked at Molex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fellow co-workers are easy going and nice to work with.

Cons

Management doesn't exist. The managers here are not leaders and only think of themselves. There isn't room for advancement and there's never any money for training.

Advice to Management

Quit and let real leaders run the company

9. "good"

Pros

great work place and friendly enviroment

Cons

i have nothing bad to say about this job

10. "Director global procurement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lisle, IL

I worked at Molex (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management that cares and is truly interested in employees

Cons

Lots of travel with long hauls in coach