NCH Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Irvin L. Levy

Pros
  • Good benefits with plenty of opportunity to excel (in 8 reviews)

• Cort makes every attempt to make the climate fun and family oriented through the NCH Fun Squad (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • very little career development, low pay (in 7 reviews)

• company tends to be pretty old school and stuck in there ways (in 5 reviews)

1. "Assistant Controller"

Former Employee - Assistant Controller in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Controller in Irving, TX

I worked at NCH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun employee activities, Focused on acheivement

Cons

Tossing employees aside with little regard for prior accomplishments

Advice to Management

Leading a company is about more than what is in it for family that owns the business

"Would Not Reccomend"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Irving, TX

I have been working at NCH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady employment, with a lot of good people who work for the company.

Cons

Less than generous vacation policy
    Management struggles to make employees feel valued
    Pay is not very competitive

"Would not recommend to anyone"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at NCH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Very few if any. Some good people work there.

Cons

- Horrible management. They just complain about how their people don't work hard enough although everyone is answering emails at all hours of the night.
    - Systems are incredibly dated. CIO made the comment that they hadn't put a lot of money into the systems for over 10 years. How does a company function like that?!?
    - Pay is consistently 15%-20% below market value.
    - 2 weeks of vacation for the first 5 years is absurd in todays market and competitive job pool.
    - No maternity leave or no paternity leave. You have to go on FMLA for maternity leave. Really no paid leave at all.
    - Workforce is aging rapidly. Too many times I was told "well this is how we've always done it". New thoughts and processes are encouraged.
    - Everything is very sneaky and you always have to watch your back.
    - You are lied to constantly by Sr Leadership who keep just saying "everything is ok" when the staff knows its not.
    - Offices are old and dated. They do not encourage team events or have any culture at all. Everyone is constantly unhappy and complains. Turnover is extremely high.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. Try to make it a fun place to work. Focus on the younger generation. Stop being "YES" men to your CEO and the Family. Treat your employee with respect.

"Are you Effing Kidding Me?!"

Former Employee - Telephone Sales Representative in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Telephone Sales Representative in Irving, TX

I worked at NCH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good products. Nice buildings. Clean restrooms. 40 hour work week. Free coffee. Climate controlled. Sorry...running out of good things to say.

Cons

NO advancement. Terrible Pay. Lazy middle management. Ridiculous "meetings" roll call. Very little training on products. Did I say LAZY middle management. "Operations" department? Pretty sure none of the managers have ever heard of Linkedin or other professional networking websites.

Advice to Management

Did you ever hear of training? How in the world can a rep "sell" against competition when they don't even know what they're selling and what the competition is doing? Stop saying there are advancement opportunities in your employment ad. It's just not true.

5. "Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at NCH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family atmosphere, lots of room for advancement if you perform, flexible work environment.

Cons

Outdated IT systems are challenging.

6. "Sales agent"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in San Jose, CA

I worked at NCH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Quality products. Well known as being the most expensive products out there with the quality being the same as everyone else.

Cons

Poor management. Poor customer support. They can't wait to terminate you so they can give your accounts to a senior agent.

Advice to Management

Get better managers

"Xchem"

Former Employee - Chemical Technician in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Chemical Technician in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Enjoyed the job worked worked by myself mostly.

Cons

Benefits are expensive. Wish they would've gone with bcbs instead of uhc. A lot of favoritism.

Advice to Management

Don't play favorites treat everyone more equal across the board.

"It depends on your department"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Irving, TX

I have been working at NCH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Probably the best part of working for NCH is the people. There are a vast amount of people that are there to build you up, motivate and help with a smile. I have gained many friends working here and do enjoy the little perks that are given for doing a good job.

Cons

Management really doesn't care about you doing good (besides little incentives) but if you slack even a little, your job will be threatened. There's practically no communication between departments and it's very difficult to be effecient and create good customer service in a timely manner. Some departments are treated as less than the others. For instance, we had Associate Appreciation Week and my direct manager sent everyone an email saying that we were not allowed to participate even though we are sales and are in fact an associate. Some departments do not get raises (like mine) and we really have zero room to grow.

Advice to Management

Work better on communication with other departments
    If a person works hard on a sale, do not give it to an outside sales rep(It's deflating and multiple people quit every year for this reason)
    Be fair, If you work hard then there should be room for advancement

"Stay away from ERP Group in IT department"

I worked at NCH full-time

Pros

- Some folks are friendly.

Cons

- No growth
    - I worked in ERP implementations, Stay away from IT department.
    - Cheap politics, No professional behavior at all.
    - Managers think they are flexible, have skills.., but you see old school approach
    - If you need "just" a job, Don't care anything else.. this is the place

Advice to Management

- Senior Management needs to think of new ideas, new culture.

"stuck in the past"

Former Employee - Cant Reveal for Fear of Retaliation in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Cant Reveal for Fear of Retaliation in Dallas, TX

I worked at NCH full-time

Pros

If you love old technology and out of date processes, this place will be a dream come true for you. If you join with high hopes for improvement, don't worry they'll beat you down soon enough. I worked at one of the divisions of NCH, but don't worry they all operate pretty much the same.

Cons

First and foremost they have a dying distribution model. If you are not able to sell a lot of overpriced products, or you work in a non-sales role you'll never make more than scrooge's assistant. They refuse to update to any modern technology, or processes for that matter. Ideas are met with "that's not the way we've done things for the last 35 years."

Advice to Management

consolidate the divisions for Corp level processes. Leverage your strongest internal people in that consolidation. Realize that your people without experience elsewhere are not likely to help you innovate and grow. Reduce brands and work on building brand recognition for those that remain. Consolidate most of the divisions sales forces. Standardize pay plans. Have more people selling all the products. The consolidation will reduce the internal workforce needed- especially the upper management. Then pay the remaining people well. You have to know you are paying well below market in some positions. Oh and maybe insist on high ethical standards in sales. I don't know how some of those folks can live with themselves.