NantWorks Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Patrick Soon-Shiong, M.D.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Vibrant and dynamic scientific culture."

I have been working at NantWorks full-time

Pros

Modern campus in Culver City. Trendy neighborhood. Well funded R&D. Very smart scientists across diverse disciplines. Diverse portfolio of technologies. Definitely not a "one trick pony" which mitigates risk. Competitive compensation/benefits/vacation seems to motivate workers to arrive early and stay late regularly on their own accord. Some days I almost want to jokingly tell my co-workers, "Hey, you're not an academic post-doc anymore.
     You don't have work 50-60 hours a week." But there's no getting in the way of passionate scientists who are on a mission to cure cancer. When you love your work and feel like you're always just one experiment away from a breakthrough, those long days don't feel like work at all. Especially if you're paid well to do it.

Cons

Cross-functional collaborations can be tricky since the Nant companies are spread out among different campuses across the country. But scientists are empowered to be resourceful in order to get things done in creative ways. Construction at the Culver City headquarters might help consolidate some of the great Nant talent into one central location. This is not a fault of the organization. Property is just hard to come buy in Culver City.

Advice to Management

Make sure the salary/bonus/equity stays competitive. Immuno-oncology opportunities in the Los Angeles area is growing rapidly. It would be a shame if our best workers get poached by competitors as huge amounts of funding continue to pour into the field. Also, get ready to add necessary infrastructure/personnel when we start sending internally discovered drugs into the development pipeline.

Jul 13, 2017 – Sr Director of HR

Thank you for taking the time to write this thoughtful review! We’ll take your advice into consideration!

2. "Great company with room for growth"

I have been working at NantWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company mission to cure cancer-major pro.
    If you work hard, you get noticed and rewarded. Company is certainly trying to increase the perks by adding an equity plan, performance management review with bonus, food trucks, on site carwash and dry cleaning.
    Medical benefits are excellent
    You get to work amongst some of the smartest scientist and doctors
    Modern office space
    Room for growth in most positions

Cons

Start ups aren't perfect and turn over is high, but company and HR acknowledge this and are working hard to fix.

Jun 9, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for acknowledging the hard work our teams are putting in to try to improve the culture at NantWorks! Your opinion is important and helps us to improve!

3. "Innovative, Fast-Paced Research in a Supportive Workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at NantWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Research is interesting and plentiful
    - Great work/life balance motivates scientists and engineers to produce quality results
    - Work feels meaningful and impactful
    - Value is placed on both independent and collaborative work

Cons

- There seems to be slight disorganization when it comes to infrastructure and IT issues, which can lead to some minor frustration
    - The new employee on-boarding process can be disorganized and slow, leading to delays in getting started

Advice to Management

- Streamline hiring and on-boarding to prevent delays and confusion when new employees are getting started

Jun 7, 2017 – Sr Director of HR

Thank you for your feedback. We are continuously evaluating our processes to become more streamlined. As a new associate, our goal is to have your onboarding be a positive experience and for you to... More

4. "Exciting work on important topics"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at NantWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a scientist, I'm truly excited by the type, quantity, and quality of data being generated here for research and for doctors and patients. The company supports a good work/life balance, and is protective of their employees. We have a daily impact on the care of people with cancer.

Cons

Not all infrastructure seems to be in place yet; this makes some projects feel a bit hectic.

Advice to Management

Increase hiring and get the proper infrastructure in place.

Jul 13, 2017 – Sr Director of HR

We appreciate your incite! Ultimately, our people are our most important asset, so your opinion matters greatly. We will continue to focus on building up our teams to support the great work taking... More

5. "Great company for scientists!"

I have been working at NantWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Primary focus is on doing great science
    Lots of intellectual freedom
    Motivated and extremely smart co-workers
    A lot of exciting collaborative projects ongoing

Cons

Employees must be very self-directed to thrive

Jun 9, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

No doubt, being a self-starter and having initiative is key here! Thank you for being a part of it!

6. "NantWorks, LLC. HR"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I have been working at NantWorks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly and professional working environment
    Full benefits: Medical, Dental and Vision & 401K and more!
    HR is helpful & the on-boarding process informative and ADP is easy to navigate.
    Free Coffee & Tea!
    Some Mondays and most Fridays we have food trucks on site.
    Casual Business attire on Fridays you can wear jeans!
    Yearly Performance reviews
    Being part of Nant the leading healthcare technology entities to advance in every one's health is extraordinary!

Cons

When we don't have a food truck on Fridays!

Advice to Management

Keep being super nice and helpful!

Jul 13, 2017 – Sr Director of HR

Thank you for your review! As an organization we think our benefits are pretty great too! And the food trucks are a great perk.

7. "Total Rewards Program"

Current Employee - Administrative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at NantWorks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Company implemented a Total Rewards Program that is competitive, attractive, and truly motivating. This program aligned incentives across competing priorities and its ecosystem of companies.

Cons

The M&A activity makes planning a challenge, yet strategically it creates a competitive advantage.

Advice to Management

Drive collaboration as an inherent part of everyone's responsibility.

8. "Great place to be."

Current Employee - Contracts Administrator in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Contracts Administrator in Culver City, CA

I have been working at NantWorks full-time

Pros

Great place to work very great atmosphere.

Cons

Other than the location being so far from everything thing else, not really much cons.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job like you've been doing.

"No appreciation/trust for good/honest employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I worked at NantWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits were great. My coworkers were all smart and personable. I was able to get along with my coworkers because everyone was so nice. Unlimited Vacation. Maternity Leave. Celebrity sightings.

Cons

Upper management has too much power but they have no direction. Everything is kept hush hush. Although coworkers are great, there is no culture and everyone is looking out for themselves. Once I get close to someone, they either get let go or get fired. HR is a joke. Newsletter is a joke. They do not take care of their employees. They don't promote from within but will rather hire someone from the outside to do the same job with a lot more pay.

Advice to Management

Hire from within. Better training. Need structure. Get rid of incompetent managers.

"Lack of Leadership and Communication is Killing Morale"

I have been working at NantWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not much nice to say except that the CEO is a great man and visionary who unfortunately, is often misled by incompetent leaders with no real experience.

But the workers who are trying to make things happen are great. It's certain people in upper management who make things hard for people in the lower tiers to get things done.

Cons

There is a total lack of communication. Unless you have friends in the right places, you never know what is going on, which barely allows you to plan for anything.

Also, instead of trying to find out problems and solve them, there is a rush to assign blame.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees. Communication is everything. Not everything has to be a secret, and a little trust goes a long way.

Jan 9, 2017 – Sr Director of HR

Thank you for sharing your experience. Our community here is unique, we bring together people with different backgrounds to work on complex matters. What we’ve set out to accomplish is not an easy... More