Nuffield Health Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Nuffield Health CEO Steve Gray
Steve Gray

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free private healthcare, free gym membership at any Nuffield gym in the country (in 17 reviews)

• free gym membership, excellent training opportunities, small friendly an knowledgeable staff (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and poor work life balance (in 6 reviews)

• senior management do not seem to care about anyone else (in 6 reviews)

1. "F&W Manager"

Current Employee - Fitness Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Fitness Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Nuffield Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ample opportunity to move about into different roles, good work benefits including health care and discounted gym entry for a partner or family members.

Cons

The training and support is inconsistent and the renumeration could be better for such a large organisation.

Advice to Management

Support the ambitious and preserve the talented people in the organisation. Offer better pay and support personal grow for a better retention rate.

2. "Good Company to Jump-Start Career"

Current Employee - Billing Administrator in Epsom, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Billing Administrator in Epsom, England (UK)

I have been working at Nuffield Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice atmosphere and friendly people

Cons

Undergoing a lot of organisational change at the moment

Advice to Management

Inform the workforce of how you plan to manage change

3. "Great for starting out"

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Nuffield Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For new PTs, it is a great place to learn the ropes and get experience. There are plenty of learning opportunities and you get a good scope of understanding for full body health, not just specifically fitness and weight loss.

Cons

The pay structure is fine when you're starting out but once you have got to a certain point, it is a bit demotivating which explains why you have a fairly high turnover of PTs.

4. "Recovery nurse"

I have been working at Nuffield Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The salary is quite good compared to NHS. The hospital is quite compact and everyone after a while knows each other. From the receptionist to the housekeeping staff.

Cons

The management / corporate is really behind in terms of progress on tech devices in use, guidelines and staff development.

Advice to Management

More qualified professionals, more training and course to be provided, facilitate professional development

Jan 10, 2018 – Digital Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback, it's great to hear! The team culture in our hospital's is excellent, we often hear feedback of a family culture and enjoying having the opportunity to learn more... More

5. "Call Centre"

I worked at Nuffield Health full-time

Pros

Free coffee, and gym membership if you want it.

Cons

Awfully dated computer systems; chaotic training consisting of rattling quickly through unfamiliar computer screens for five minutes with somebody barely into their twenties; too many disparate unintegrated computer systems; too many passwords to remember which you're not allowed to write down or store on your computer; a culture of throwing you into the deep-end unprepared for what a caller might be asking for; invisibility of different service teams in the CC; IT help desk which is slow to respond to getting you set-up and correct problems with accessing computer programs;

Advice to Management

* Integrate, modernise, and simply your IT systems.
    * Build a computerised telephone directory with everyone's telephone number in it, rather than relying on printed lists of numbers - some of which don't work, and which staff add to in pen as and when they find a new number for something.
    * Clearly layout and codify your data protection principles in a simple manual, rather than relying on a manager's opinion on the issue by word of mouth, which in my experience was wrong.
    * Have dedicated phone numbers for each of your offerings that get a patient/customer connected through to right person first time around
    * Make it transparent exactly who can or does what in the CC
    * Make line managers visible at all times, and obvious to new trainees from the start.
    * Allow new staff to be allocated to a team based on their preferences
    * Stop working as an isolated silo to which other departments, notably HR, seem not to exist.
    * Encourage CC staff to speak openly with HR people whenever they have concerns, and activate their swipe cards to allow them access to the HR office area.
    * Set-up a staff suggestion scheme and make sure the best ideas are implemented.

6. "I hope things have improved! (worked in the Wellbeing division - gym)"

Former Employee - Junior Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Junior Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Nuffield Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has a unique offering compared to its competition.
    Health benefit scheme.
    Free national gym membership x 2.
    Friends and family discount.
    At the branch I worked for I had a great line manager and colleagues.

Cons

Poor employee engagement, compensation and reward structures.
    Staff retention strategy, inexistent!
    Slow career progression.

Advice to Management

Look after your employees.
    Senior management should be more respectful and lead, rather than intimidate and micromanage.

Jan 10, 2018 – Digital Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback, we're really pleased to be a unique organisation on an inspiring journey. Employee engagement is key to us, we have a number of tools to support this such as our... More

"Disorganised and old fashioned"

Former Employee - Middle Management
    Former Employee - Middle Management

I worked at Nuffield Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nuffield Health Scheme and you can add your partner for a fee
    360 Health Assessments annually
    Free Gym Membership
    Cycle to work scheme
    Flexible working hours if requested
    Good pension scheme

Cons

Low pay , across the board
    IT systems, nothing short of shocking
    Wellbeing clubs not invested in, not premium
    Diversity of the board of directors questionable
    Charitable status also questionable

Advice to Management

Overall Nuffield is a very disorganised business, IT systems simple do not work, sites are under staffed and generally stretched to breaking point. It's Wellbeing and Fitness side of the company is under invested and some of the centres need major investment to bring them back up to some kind of standard . Nuffield has fallen into this mid range brand, it most certainly is not premium. The board of directors need to wake up to this fact.

There needs to be more focus on people from reward and recognition, development and actually paying them more , there is no London weighting.There also needs to be a major focus on equality and diversity and not just playing lip service to it.

Nuffield does have the makings to be a fantastic business,however the company would be better run has a Ltd or PLC to get the correct investment into the business.

Jan 10, 2018 – Digital Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback.
    We are an organisation that has seen rapid growth and are on an exciting journey of development. A video around this can be seen here... More

8. "Nuffield Health"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Nurse in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Nurse in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Nuffield Health part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great organisation to work with, excellent benefits. Free health care,gym and medicals. Flexible hrs

Cons

Unable to park on site

Advice to Management

Parking would help retain staff

Jan 10, 2018 – Digital Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your positive feedback, it's great to hear that your recent experience reflects our values and culture that we strive to achieve. If there is any specific feedback you'd like to pass... More

9. "Good company."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Nuffield Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits and workd enviroment is good

Cons

low wages in this company

Advice to Management

hear the workforce.

Jan 10, 2018 – Digital Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your feedback, we regularly benchmark all our salaries so we can ensure they are in line with the current market. We take on board all types of feedback and aim to make any necessary... More

10. "Shocking Commission Structure, Shocking Management,"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at Nuffield Health (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly Environment
    Free Gym membership - £5 buddy membership
    Free 360 check after being with them for 6 months
    Cycle to work Scheme

Cons

Poor management
    Lack of communication
    Shocking commission structure
    Low outreach budget
    Expected to to admin, sales amounts other things for 16k where other clubs pay there sales 18-20k basic for that.

Advice to Management

Get stuck in with the sales side of things as 90% of the revenue is through them! Learn the systems yourselves and don’t falsely advertise annual salary and expect it to be kept quiet. ‭ Managers don’t know how to use the systems like DAS! I had to learn off my own back! Training is good when you finally manage to get enrolled in it! I was in the company 5 months before I had an ounce of training. The commission is paid 2 months in arrears THATS IF you hit 90% and IF you percentage drops below 90% you get paid nothing at all in commission! They give you an appalling budget to do outreach events and expect masses from as little of £80 budget. It’s just an unorganised, company where people are sat twiddling there thumbs back and forth upon starting because your expected to come in and know everything without the proper training. Also to add to this if you apply for the sales role it’s advertised at 18k but your only actually on a 16k basic. AVOID

Jan 10, 2018 – Digital Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We continually benchmark our salaries to ensure they are within the market rates. Our sales positions have a basic salary between £16-18k which is dependent on the role... More