OCLC Reviews | Glassdoor

OCLC President and Chief Executive Officer David "Skip" Prichard
David "Skip" Prichard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Senior management is not connected to staff; rarely see CEO or vice president walking around their departments (in 8 reviews)

• Expectations of banking world work hours and pace with non-profit level compensation (in 7 reviews)

1. "Intern"

I have been working at OCLC part-time

Pros

Laid back culture and caring

Cons

No con! It is a great company

2. "Management issues"

I have been working at OCLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Renovations look great and give the building a modern feel.
    Benefits are solid and pay is pretty good too.
    Work-life balance depends very heavily on your manager, everyone says they support it, but some departments are thinly staffed so most of the time taking off at 5 really just means working from home for a few more hours that night.

Cons

Across the organization I've seen most of the smartest and most talented employees leave or get pushed out. Some managers in particular have very high turnover in their groups but no one seems to care.

The company as a whole is much less mission driven and more focused on the bottom line. It's non-profit mission feels more like a marketing tool than a operating principle. CEO markets himself more than his company. His direct reports fight among themselves and take a page from his book focusing more on improving their brand than improving the company.

Advice to Management

Try to get OCLC back to its core principles- not speed, accountability, and execution; but quality, integrity, and service.

"Moving in the right direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH

I have been working at OCLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Work-life balance is both encouraged and practiced.

-Work environment is very low-stress.

-On-campus gym and overall emphasis on employee health and wellness.

-The majority of managers are very laid back.

-Benefits are fantastic and inexpensive.

-Good amount of vacation time to start off.

-Willing to promote internally (to an extent)

-First floor and new meeting rooms on upper floors look great after the Fall 2015 to Fall 2016 remodel.

-Senior management is focused on the future, and plans to keep OCLC current are being put into action.

-Staff is getting younger overall, which brings new energy and ideas to work with the people that have been around a while.

Cons

-Communication between departments is a struggle. Emails and meeting invites often go unanswered, so you have to show up at people's desks or call them if you need something.

-(These all kind of go together) MLIS degrees are overemphasized. Downside: The only two places that degree applies are OCLC or a library. Little to no opportunity to move into positions with increased pay and responsibilities without years of library experience or an MLIS degree, no matter your personal abilities or performance.

-While I've liked about all the managers I've come into contact with, there are probably too many, and they're in meetings for most of the day. This creates a feeling of some disconnect.

Advice to Management

-Put more of an emphasis on upward mobility for high-performing employees. There is a real opportunity in this area for OCLC to offer great training that caters to an employee's interest, and the offer to do so should absolutely be performance-based.

-An MLIS is a great degree for employees to have, but shouldn't be the ONLY avenue to promotions/moving between departments.

-Also, managers and upper management (leadership team) should be in contact with their departments' employees a lot more. Dropping by and talking with people goes a long, long way.

-Emphasize more of an "I OWN THIS" attitude to improve communication between departments. There's a difference between "I don't know/I'm too busy" and "I don't know, but will find out for you."

4. "Great work life balance"

I have been working at OCLC full-time

Pros

I love working at OCLC

Cons

I don't have any complaints.

"Finance Beware"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH

I have been working at OCLC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been fortunate to work at OCLC in the finance division for over 12 years. Overall it's been an amazing company to work for, I never had a complaint.

Cons

The (fairly) new CFO however gives me a lot of concern. He's pressuring us to not share information. This is making me uncomfortable in my job. With new managers in place I don't know who I can trust. In the meetings I've attended I know I can't trust my boss yet, I certainly don't trust the CFO.

Advice to Management

Someone needs to look at what the CFO is doing behind closed doors, he is telling us one thing that is different than what is known publicly. I hope the other leaders at OCLC don't operate this way.

OCLC Response

Jul 28, 2017 – HR Director

OCLC's leadership team is committed to maintaining the highest integrity and ethical standards. We strive to hire exceptional people and to provide exceptional services to our member libraries and... More

6. "50 Years and Counting"

Current Employee - Manager in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Dublin, OH

I have been working at OCLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work environment, benefits, smart people, mission

Cons

Really happy here - no issues

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on speed in delivering products, do less well, keep great work environment.

7. "Senior Software Engineer"

Pros

Laid back environment to work

Cons

Lack of innovation in processes

"A staid and stable tech environment"

I worked at OCLC full-time

Pros

Lots of people with a real dedication and passion for libraries.

Cons

Still trying to modernize. For a "tech" company, they are not very cutting edge.

9. "Great organizational culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH

I have been working at OCLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture- awesome work/life balance. Strong management team. Excellent benefits.

Cons

No major cons. A really great place to work!

Advice to Management

Continue to build a culture of strong leaders.

"No Growth"

I have been working at OCLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits for employees!

Cons

The department I am in lacks managerial experience and someone to lead us. There is no growth opportunity for anyone who does not have a Master in Library Science