ONEOK Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
ONEOK President & CEO Terry K. Spencer
Terry K. Spencer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They're flexible with work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Great company with a wealth of talent (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The one person is soo right about market based pay (in 9 reviews)

• Market based pay is well under actual market (in 8 reviews)

1. "The culture is changing."

Current Employee - Developer in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Developer in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at ONEOK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They're flexible with work-life balance. The benefits are good and they care about their employees. They also provide training opportunities.

Cons

Advancement opportunities seem somewhat narrow. I was up for a new position but not really given any direction as to what I would be doing or compensation information before I accepted it. I denied it and stayed where I am now.

Advice to Management

Take notice and care of your employees. You have some good people that work here.

2. "Good work environment, but money needs to be better and I fill like I am stuck were I am at"

Current Employee - NGP Pipeline Controller in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - NGP Pipeline Controller in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at ONEOK full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great history, great leadership and good benefits.

Cons

Money needs to be better compared to other Midstream companies and there is no opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to advance someone that doesn't fit your exact mold
    The money needs be at least 10% better, to even compete with are competitors salaries

3. "IT Department"

Current Employee - Techni in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Techni in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at ONEOK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Experience and a paycheck, that is about it.....

Cons

High stress, high pressure and high turnover which unfortunately brings out the worst in people....Revolving door of contractors, promises of conversion that never happens...Minimal training and under staffed due to constant and slow rehiring...

As a contractor, no time off, no benefits. no insurance for the duration of employment.

Advice to Management

Management young and immature..grow up....

4. "Field/Project Engineer"

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Tulsa, OK

I worked at ONEOK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Located in Downtown Tulsa with covered parking garage. Onsite health clinic for those that work in Tulsa. Flexible work schedule for some. 3 weeks vacation to start.

Decent entry level experience. Inexperienced engineers or fresh graduates get thrust into critical roles. (though often times with very little support or training and due to lack of employee retention)

Cons

Extremely top heavy company. The company does not face issues head-on if those issues involve anyone above a manager. They allow harassment and bullying by upper management and managers, with no consequences.

Every group operates in its own silo with little to no interaction. Operations managers in Tulsa that never leave their offices, let alone step foot in one of their operating facilities.

Depending on the group you end up in -very little career development or career mobility. Constant reorganization (at least in engineering roles), where the effected employee has little or no say in what your job will be. Little care is given to make sure that these moved employees have the knowledge base / skill set or will be given access to training to gain those skills. While ONEOK advertises that they do not believe in layoffs, they will move employees to ill-suited roles to get that employee to quit on their own or will fire them for under-performing.

Any previous work experience (not at ONEOK) is not valued or respected, even if it is relevant industry experience.

Very conservative, slow to react company. Below market pay.

Very much so a "yes man" company.

5. "would give it no star's but it wouldn't let me"

Current Employee - NGP Pipeline Control in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - NGP Pipeline Control in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at ONEOK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None , other than it's a job to show up to and get paid every 2 week's. If you're a college grad and looking to get experience in the industry come on over, we'll get you trained up so you can apply elsewhere for true "market" pay.

Cons

Some of the most severe micromanaging that I've ever been around. If you work here expect armchair quarterbacks to constantly tell you how they can do your job better than you ever could even though they've never done the position. Way over thought processes and documentation on the most simplest task's take away from the actual scope of the job that we do. I could go on but the review's left here are some of the same ideal's and thoughts that I have. I would say that any positive review's here are most likely HR or Manager's that were instructed to leave them.

Advice to Management

You are NOT the smartest person in the room.

If YOU'RE not going to follow CRM and provide the most basic necessities that are written into procedure than why do you expect me to follow them? Basic AC/Temp adjustment shouldn't be that hard to provide when you have a staffed 24/7 control room. Management's advice to add some "fans" if you're hot isn't what's written in the CRM plan. A 2 am fatigue alarm shouldn't be answered by your controller's when mitigating fatigue as "I climbed a chair to pull a lightbulb in order to dim the light's". When the actual written plan call's for lighting adjustment. All things that "you" say your provide but clearly do not and have no plans to. We are not compliant and should DOT ever come in and audit your control group expect them to say the same.

True work life balance they promote when hiring isn't here if you actually have to staff something that's not a salaried position. If you are an hourly employee and something goes down they do not care if it's your anniversary, Bday, Christmas,ETC... you are expected to go out and take care of it. The true work/life balance is enjoyed by salaried position's that phone it in on Friday's , day before holiday's, and when they feel like it(supervisor's , managers, directors).

Speed up the hiring process. If you know someone is retiring , hire before they leave so that it doesn't leave your dept shorthanded. The wait and "hope"approach isn't working and never has.

6. "Project coordinator"

Current Employee - Pipeline Operator in Prosper, TX
    Current Employee - Pipeline Operator in Prosper, TX

I have been working at ONEOK full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule plus plenty of overtime
    Great supervision at lower levels
    Company truck provided and tools to help get the job done
    Great company to work for. Once hired you are solid unless you do something dumb

Cons

Slow to get pay increases and slow process when applying for job
    Poor communication from upper management positions. The glass of water is always muddy

Advice to Management

Increase pay and expedite the hiring process

7. "Sr. Enginieer"

Pros

Great company with a wealth of talent.

Cons

Lower pay range for job and years of experience.

Advice to Management

Trim the fat.

8. "Pipeline and storage field operator"

Former Employee - Pipeline and Storage Field Operator in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Pipeline and Storage Field Operator in Joliet, IL

I worked at ONEOK (More than 8 years)

Pros

Sort of ok pay and decent experience in the pipeline industry, the people I worked with were mostly all nice

Cons

Management was horrible, the area manager wouldn't allow the supervisor to do what he wanted to or needed to do, I was told at least 8 times in the last 6 months I worked there that I would be getting a raise but never did, no cost of living raises, in the last 6 years I got one 3% increase, in my area the pay was low almost 10 dollars an hour lower than similar company's operators make, also there is no real pay scale, it's a range 61k-91k people that had been there for over 20 years were not even to the top of the scale, where almost every other company in the area tops all their employees out after 2-4 years

Advice to Management

Pay what your competitors do, and give cost of living like every other decent company does, come up with an actual pay scale not just a huge range that no one ever reaches the top of

9. "title"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

Pros

really really really really good

Cons

dont have anything bad to say

Advice to Management

do well

10. "great company"

Pros

everything ( pay, Benefits, environment)

Cons

none everything about this company is amazing