OneMain Financial Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Doug Shulman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Nice package decent place to work good benefits flexible work hours" (in 81 reviews)

• "The pay and benefits are decent" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is no work-life balance at all" (in 46 reviews)

• "Your job was threatened if your goal was not met, Upper management lost track of how the team members were treated within the branches" (in 62 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I love my job!"

Current Employee - Personal Loan Specialist in Massillon, OH
    Current Employee - Personal Loan Specialist in Massillon, OH

I have been working at OneMain Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for growth and advancement
    Great benefits (Medical, dental, vision and paid maternity leave)
    Fantastic Leadership
    Nice level of competition and bonus structure is nice.

Cons

Training process needs some improvement.

Aug 24, 2018 – Community Manager

We appreciate your feedback, and we're happy to see your comment regarding advancement opportunities and Benefits. OneMain continues to develop and expand upon training for all levels and departments... More

2. "Sr personal loan specialist"

Current Employee - Senior Personal Loan Specialist
    Current Employee - Senior Personal Loan Specialist

I have been working at OneMain Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good hours, great vacation time. Good incentives. Realistic goals!

Cons

Occasionally have to work Saturday, only for a couple hours, but would prefer not to..

Advice to Management

This is a great company. I've been working there for 3 years and have always had the support I've needed to reach my goals. Pays well plus incentives which have both recently gotten better with the merg with Springleaf. I have, and would again, highly recommend this company to work for.

3. "Sr collector"

Current Employee - Senior Collector in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Collector in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at OneMain Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overtime is available, casual atmosphere and decent pay

Cons

Not all upper management seems to care about any employee concerns. Also always changing the bonus structure and goals to make it more difficult to bonus

Advice to Management

Listen to what your employee's are saying instead of just nodding. Alot of people think that talking to some in upper management is like talking to a brick wall. Also favoritism is rampant on certian teams. Its more who you know not what you do.

4. "Good with the bad"

Former Employee - Senior Personal Loan Specialist
    Former Employee - Senior Personal Loan Specialist

I worked at OneMain Financial full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some of the people, Some of the skills learned

Cons

Upper Management, politics, "Boys club"

"Varies by Branch, District, and State."

Current Employee - Senior Personal Loan Specialist in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Senior Personal Loan Specialist in Mobile, AL

I have been working at OneMain Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Breakfast meeting every Wednesday, Flexibility to choose when to comp time for Tuesday late night. Work on 1 Saturday a month. Benefits.

Cons

Collections are ignorant. They want us to meet DQ targets but let the customers do what they want and pay when they want with no consequences. 75% of bonus cut when you don’t hit target for the month. Ex: $100 bonus after penalty is $25 and then they tax it separately so the bonus is a joke when DQ isn’t in line so don’t expect it.

Advice to Management

Promote from within. You obviously have some employees that know the business and tolerate the daily harping from upper management. Find better ways to manage DQ. Don’t tell employees to hard collect for your BM’s to turn around and let the customer slide. Have the DM’s that care and are reliable.

6. "Great opportunity"

Current Employee - Senior Personal Loan Specialist in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Personal Loan Specialist in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at OneMain Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has some great opportunities to advance. They do not limit you to a position based on a time frame. When you are ready your ready. Also uncapped monthly commission potential.

Cons

You are in control of your branch client book which includes collection calls. Along side with that some days you will have to work a weekend or two to meet delinquency goals.

Advice to Management

Continue to push those who want it and explain the vision and the why.

Oct 5, 2018 – Community Manager

We appreciate you reaching out to let us know how you feel. Work life balance is important to us. As this is personal for each individual, we encourage our team members to discuss their concerns with... More

7. "litigation specialist"

Current Employee - Litigation Specialist in Fort Mill, SC
    Current Employee - Litigation Specialist in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at OneMain Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family oriented, relaxed dress code, good people

Cons

compensation,training, growth, collection management is messy, and a place for employees to relax on break

Advice to Management

Pay the employees more hourly instead of feeding us pizza from popa johns 100 times in a year and make room for career growth

"Sr Personal Loan Specialist"

Former Employee - Senior Personal Loan in Kokomo, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Personal Loan in Kokomo, IN

I worked at OneMain Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bonus
    Benefits
    Vacation time (but you can rarely take any to make goals)
    Incentives

Cons

Stressful
    Slimey Managers just wanting money

Advice to Management

Consider customer feelings, not just your own pocket

9. "No focus on employees"

Former Employee - Branch Account Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Branch Account Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Benefits and incentives were decent

Cons

A lot of pressure to collect and meet goals

Oct 5, 2018 – Community Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Collection duties are part of the primary duties for individuals including branch and call center staff members. It is important that OneMain protects its loan portfolio... More

"Excellent compensation, benefits and opportunity for growth"

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at OneMain Financial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

over the years I saw this company go through a lot of changes, but they never lost focus of what was important, their team members or customers. No one was ever treated as a number and they looked for ways to give back to the community. It was not a job, it was a family. Compensation and Benefits were excellent and the incentive based program gave the team members the potential to earn more by simply meeting their monthly goals. Upper management dedicated a lot of time and effort in order to improve the communication with the branches so that everyone could be informed of all the changes taking place.

Cons

After the companies merged, policy changes happened on a weekly basis, work life balance became almost non-existent , working late nights and Saturdays became the norm . Your job was threatened if your goal was not met, Upper management lost track of how the team members were treated within the branches. The environment went from a family atmosphere to total chaos. Team members would be reprimanded for spending time getting to know their customers and were considered "time wasters". It became a goal oriented company that the only thing that mattered were results and not the behavior and attitudes of the people working there. The turnover became the highest I saw in the 10 years working there, 6 out of 10 managers in my district alone were gone by the time I left, making me #7.

Advice to Management

Policies can change, culture can change, people can be replaced but you cannot expect loyalty if you allow team members to feel threatened. Listen to what they have to say, focus on accomplishments more rather than failures, do not let them be bullied because at the end of the they there is no company without the ones working at the branch level. You were a great company once, you can become that again if you really care to try.

Aug 31, 2018 – Community Manager

Thank you for your comment. We are happy to hear about your positive experience in our branch. Our goal is to provide a positive work experience for all team members regardless of their associated... More