Open Systems Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Harold Herling

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "If you pick up the business (on your own) and work hard, there is a lot of money in this industry" (in 4 reviews)

• "Great working environment, a lot to learn, never a dull day" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "No training done, you are thrown right into the mix of things and expected to perform at an unrealistic level" (in 6 reviews)

• "Complete lack of communication within the company, especially from the top down" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Rewarding Enviornment"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Open Systems Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited opportunity to make money, Freedom to work whatever jobs you like, Great benefits pkg.

Cons

Communication could be a bit better.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing in the direction you are going.

Jun 12, 2018

Thanks for your feedback! It's important to us that our employees work in an environment with the freedom to work on what they want, when they want to! We are so happy you like the direction our... More

2. "Technical Recruiter"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Open Systems Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free to succeed environment. Non-Metric driven environment. Middle Management cares about their employees. They provide you with a lot of the necessary tools to be successful as a recruiter (job boards/LinkedIn recruiter). Managing Director of National Recruiting is a fantastic person who has a genuine interest in the lives of his team. The commission structure is great and rolls over 100% when you go from tier to tier, which is phenomenal. They do not force you into a ton of the extras that the staffing industry pushes (multiple happy hours a week, "team bonding" drinking fests, etc., but rather allow you to have a healthy work-life balance. They'll promote you if you perform.

This is legitimately a place where if you're looking to make a lot of money, know what you're doing, and are 100% self-motivated, you'll make a ton of money.

Cons

Unstructured/free environment that is probably great for someone who is really seasoned and knows 100% of what they're doing, but isn't great for people who are learning and trying to develop themselves. The culture is a bit "flat" (non-engaging), and it seems like the partners who own the company are almost entirely disinterested in anything other than profit numbers and the NYC team. It seems like every other week there is a new "initiative" that will go into practice that is never followed through on. Mentorship is sparse and non-intentional. Benefits are sub-par and PTO schedule is not good either.

Advice to Management

Senior leadership (partners) needs more visibility and to act like they actually care about the people they employ. Continue to push people who are looking to grow and provide them with tools to do so (not just recruiting tools, but consistent mentorship). Create and push some sort of vision and/or mission that the team can get excited about... We all want to make money, but there's more to staffing than butts in seats: Quality, Care, Exciting Work, Projects and teams that make an impact, etc.

"anonymous"

I worked at Open Systems Technologies full-time

Pros

Flat organization that allows you to work in your own way.

Cons

Company tends to change direction frequently making it difficult to build long term success.

4. "Intern Position"

Pros

I interned it and enjoyed working with the HR department.

Cons

no cons. The job was internship was flexible and helpful

Jun 5, 2018

We are so glad you had a great experience with us!

"Recruiter"

I worked at Open Systems Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent, but they overwork you do it isn’t really worth it. Other than that the only pro is the other employees who also hate the job so they get you through the day.

Cons

Management is awful. Little to no leadership skills. No training done, you are thrown right into the mix of things and expected to perform at an unrealistic level. They were very biased and unrealistic. Feels like your in high school while in the office as everyone gossips. Would not recommend to anybody, except if it’s your last and only offer... even then I’d rather work in retail. You will be very upset you choose to work here.

Advice to Management

Quit while your ahead.

Jun 5, 2018

I am sorry to hear that you feel you did not get proper training. We have certainly always provided training for our employees, but over the last 12 months we created a more formalized training... More

"Not what I signed up for"

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter

I worked at Open Systems Technologies full-time

Pros

Decent commission structure, variety of recruiting tools, no micromanaging

Cons

Lots of lies during my interview to make this sound like the perfect opportunity. Lied about team size, day-to-day tasks, growth potential...everything was dwindling out by the time I joined. They cut down on perks that really caught my eye (PTO policy, remote capabilities, mobile data reimbursement, affordable healthcare, etc.) My computer barely worked and getting a replacement was out of the question. Upper management offered no support at all and our only conversations were about how much money I'd be making them. There was absolutely no training. It felt like I was being urged to fail from day one. There's a ton of office gossip, it was like being in high school.

Advice to Management

The company has gone through changes that drive talent away. Health insurance benefits nearly doubled for me. So much money wasted on recruiting tools that are redundant and rarely used. And yet I couldn't get a working computer. If you can succeed at this company you can succeed anywhere, so what make OST different from every other recruiting firm?

Jun 5, 2018

It is very upsetting to hear you feel this way. We have spent countless hours communicating back and forth with our employees to make sure the culture is everything they wanted, and more. We have... More

"A pleasant place to work"

I have been working at Open Systems Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have had nothing but pleasant experiences with this company. Everyone is super nice, very easy to talk to and I never feel overwhelmed. When I have an issue with something I am able to go speak freely with upper management about my issue and it gets resolved. In an office of about 60 people it’s very upbeat, pleasant and professional. It’s not that often that you get to have that type of experience in an office this size.

Cons

There are a few individuals who are disgruntled and negative perhaps because of personal issues. I’m sure that’s something every office has to deal with.

Mar 22, 2018 – Director

Thanks so much for writing in - we always welcome feedback from our employees. We are so happy to hear that you are enjoying your time at OST. And we are especially glad to hear that you feel that... More

"Senior Recruiter"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Red Bank, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Red Bank, NJ

I have been working at Open Systems Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great working environment, very collaborative and supportive.

Cons

No downsides as of yet...

Mar 26, 2018 – Director

Thanks so much for your kind words. We hope to continue to make your time as OST amazing!

"Left out in the cold"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Open Systems Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were some great people there

Cons

They closed the Phoenix office with zero notice

Advice to Management

Do not treat people like they are unimportant

"Recruiter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Open Systems Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Perks like free snacks. Coffee. Nice office. Generally very little micromanaging. Good benefits, generous base salary especially for the industry.

Cons

The environment is not how it was sold during the interview. It feels somewhat cutthroat and I can’t speak for other employees but I feel that I cannot express my true opinions to management without getting negative reactions. An environment built on fear isn’t one that will keep your employees happy. I understand recruiting has its ups and downs but the environment needs to be more collaborative, less gossipy, more open. Most people are nice on the surface but seem to be hiding their true feelings underneath. I also have heard that the NYC office is completely disconnected from every other office, the commission structures aren’t even the same, little to no communication between offices. That does not seem like a business model that will last.

Advice to Management

Make your employees actually feel cared about and maybe you’ll stop losing people left and right. This is a toxic work environment. It’s 2018, get with the times.

Apr 12, 2018 – Director

Thank you so much for writing in and for the feedback. We are sorry that you feel that the environment is cutthroat - although we encourage competition, we strive to have everyone feel part of the... More