PCL Construction Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
PCL Construction President and CEO Dave Filipchuk
Dave Filipchuk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Employee owned company with share offerings after 1 year of full-time employment" (in 42 reviews)

• "Employee ownership and lean operating principles create an all-for-one and one-for-all environment" (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance difficult to manage" (in 36 reviews)

• "Expect to work long hours ( I worked close to 60 hours per week on average)" (in 36 reviews)

1. "Great"

Pros

Great company to work at

Cons

no cons to report none

PCL Construction Response

Jun 5, 2018 – HR Specialist, North American Headquarters (Canada)

Thank you for your review! We're glad you enjoyed your time at PCL. All the best!

2. "mid level manager"

I worked at PCL Construction full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

generally good people, challenging projects, good pay

Cons

distant management, good ideas but lack follow through

PCL Construction Response

May 15, 2018 – HR Specialist, North American Headquarters (Canada)

Thanks for your feedback. We're glad to see that you were challenged by the projects you worked on. We would also appreciate any specific feedback you may have on our management so please feel free... More

"Field engineer"

Former Employee - Field Engineer
    Former Employee - Field Engineer

I worked at PCL Construction full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will learn a lot. Sink or swim depending on your work ethic working for pcl will be great in terms of learning new skills.great people tend to be workcoholics but great people they become like a family due to so much time spent together.

Cons

Huge division between those who work in the main office and those who work in the construction site. Two separate worlds typical 8-5 for main office 6:40 to 630ish the norm for many of those on site . Concrete pouring days can be at 4 am to 5pmish which can be twice or three times a week making those days the harder days.And of course Saturday and or Sunday work is a given in construction at least twice a month depending on rotations. Hours can vary depending on project and phase the project is in . None of these are pcl fault just perks of the construction industry. If you love construction and understand those perks then pcl might be for you. Problems with pcl directly are a Lack of company organization in material handling and set structure on reporting problems (rfis, change orders etc) which can make experience a good one or a bad one depending on super and project manager in charge due to the fact a large amount of work is self performed.

Advice to Management

Have more of a company wide standard on material handling and structure on reporting problems. Pcl self performs and makes a good bulk of their money in self performing but lacks crucial standards to truly become great. Either sub more work out and reduce the liability and problems of material handling and reporting problems or make a standard. Reward hard work if you worked more then say 50 hours a week maybe have overtime at straight pay after that. Make sure to also stress work life balance. Some grow extremely grudge full towards the company due to lack of free time and stress.Have a time sheet amongst each other in the trailer (pm,field engineer, super,project engineer) it will be helpful in understandings tasks that each one has, if their time can be better spent somewhere else and if they are working too much or too little. This in the end can get those who work there a better appreciation of pcl leading to much more years of service.

PCL Construction Response

Mar 27, 2018 – HR Specialist, North American Headquarters (Canada)

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. If you would like us to direct this feedback to the district that you worked in, please feel free to reach out to us at glassdoor@pcl.com.

"Computer-based t ećhņ ıçian"

Pros

Gŕėåť place to be employed. I observed a friendly working environment. This company has an open door policy with strategically placed suggestions boxes where suggestions can be dropped.

Cons

Some cœmputer need upgrading; some other need more memory ; and some ňeed to be retired.

Advice to Management

The best advice I can offer at this time is: all IT personnel should be getting regular software training,, every cœmputer, including non-networking systems should have the latest version of software running the sysyems.

PCL Construction Response

Mar 1, 2018 – HR Specialist, North American Headquarters (Canada)

Thanks for your review! We are happy to see that you enjoy working here. We encourage you to share your advice and suggestions to your direct supervisor. The valuable feedback from our employees is... More

5. "Great People to Work With & Great Overall Benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at PCL Construction full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy the people I work with. All are hardworking and professional. Its an easy going department with lots of things to do. The health benefits are awesome and reasonably priced.

Cons

Not as much flexibility for work schedule to the base of the business aka the office people. Definitely more men in higher positions then women.

Advice to Management

Would love to see more development for those in the office not just the construction field.

Feb 22, 2018 – Director of Diversity and Inclusion

Thank you for the review and feedback. We couldn’t agree more that PCL has great employees, and we are committed to promoting meaningful career opportunities for all employees and increasing diverse... More

"A lot of these reviews are correct - and not the good ones"

I worked at PCL Construction full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The health insurance is the cheapest I've ever had. That's pretty much it.

Cons

Where do I start? The person who wrote that PCL stands for People Come Last is spot on. Here are a list of cons:
    - People Come Last unless you are the boss's favorite.
    - Unless you completely toe the company line, brown-nose constantly, & agree with everything management says, they won't like you. I've seen people with less experience get promoted over people with more experience just because they are the boss's favorites.
    - When management is done with you, they will treat you poorly to try to push you out. If you don't leave on their "push out" schedule, they will fire you (make sure you negotiate a good severance).
    - If you are a woman with children, this is not the place for you. They expect work to come first, 100% of the time. There is no work/life balance. All of management's wives are stay-at-home moms, so they expect the same from all women it seems.
    - Diversity is basically non-existent. Expect to see a lot of white males.
    - Forget about going to HR for anything - they are there to protect the company, not care about the employees.
    - If you are having any personal issues outside of work, make sure to not let it show at work because they really don't care about anything that's going on at home or with your health.
    - The share program is a joke. The offerings are way too expensive to purchase so you have to get a loan so it doesn't actually pay off for about 7 years because you have to pay down your loans. I've never heard of having to get a loan to make an investment. And they don't tell you this in your interview, they just make you think you're going to make all this extra money immediately.
    - You get no feedback on your work performance so you have no clue if you are doing a good job or not, until they just fire you out of nowhere.
    - Don't try to talk to your co-workers about anything other than work or you will get the dirtiest looks from management - it's all work all the time. No room for water cooler talk.
    - They preach that it's the "PCL family" - if that's true, this is one dysfunctional family.

Advice to Management

Basically look at all my cons & change everything. This company really needs to reevaluate how they treat people.

PCL Construction Response

Mar 27, 2018 – HR Specialist, North American Headquarters (Canada)

We are disappointed that you had a negative experience during your time at PCL. Due to the confidential nature of your concerns, we would like to continue this conversation with you offline. Please... More

7. "Construction"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Sweeny, TX
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Sweeny, TX

I worked at PCL Construction full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people/ Great environment

Cons

Cop in with weather conditions

Advice to Management

All hands in

8. "Cost controll"

Current Employee - Cost Control in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Cost Control in Houston, TX

I have been working at PCL Construction full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company to start a career in construction.

Cons

Depends on which district you work.

Feb 7, 2018 – HR Advisor, US Head Office

Thanks for your review! We rely on our talented PCL mentors to create an exceptional learning experience for all new employees so we appreciate your recommendation for others to start their career... More

"Top Heavy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I worked at PCL Construction full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent Salary Range and Great location

Cons

Too many old timers - depletes the bonus pool
    12 hour days and Saturdays

Advice to Management

Spread the wealth

"Painting department"

Former Employee - Painter in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Painter in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at PCL Construction (More than 10 years)

Pros

The job pays the bills. They will hire anyone of the streets.

Cons

Lots of cry babies. Everyone is watching each other. Waiting for someone to make a mistake. So they can rat you out. I was there 11 years. Lots of white people in the office who hate everyone. HR is a joke. The workers have more experience than the supervisor. They will fight you for your unemployment. Your best friend there is really your worst enemy. Everyone puts each other down. No appreciation or respect. You have to buy food and cigarettes for your Foreman to get a raise. I didn't put up with none of this. That's why I'm gone. PRIDE .

Advice to Management

Get it together. The workers do the job so you can get paid.

Dec 14, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for expressing your thoughts. If you would like to provide more details about your experience, please email us at glassdoor@pcl.com, so we can look into this further. As an organization... More