PROS 151 Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
PROS President, CEO, and Director Andres D. Reiner
Andres D. Reiner

Pros
  • smart people, great culture, interesting work (in 16 reviews)

• Good work-life balance, working from home is encouraged (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The promotion guidelines are not clear also there is no clear career path for the employees (in 10 reviews)

• So much work and new wins that internal processes are stressed for capacity (in 5 reviews)

1. "Business Consultant"

I worked at PROS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful and helpful colleagues, flexible schedules, management trust of employee hours, IT staff always willing to help

Cons

communication and feedback between groups could be improved

"An OK company"

I have been working at PROS full-time

Pros

Lots of company team building events, such as happy hours, Birthday parties, quarterly outings, etc. Coworkers are super nice. Flexible work schedule but have to work overtime sometimes

Cons

recently the company started to hire quite a few high-level personnel from outside instead of promoting from within. It gives no hope to the hard-working talented employees.

Advice to Management

need to invest more effort in training and growing the existing employees instead of hiring from outside.

3. "Great company"

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at PROS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The constant drive forward keep the job interesting.

Cons

The building could use a renovation.

"Incompetent key decision-makers"

Current Employee - Professional Services in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Professional Services in Houston, TX

I have been working at PROS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A huge portion of the company's expenditure goes toward professional services, where you can find folks from all walks of life with below average pays working nights &weekends to "configure" their proprietary software - thanks to product failures and demanding customers. To get rid of this portion of expenditure, management has tried for years to develop "industrial templates" that can be implemented for new customers seamlessly, so they don't have to keep 4-7 resources per customer project...

Cons

Unfortunately, this hasn't been achieved, and it is the same people who've failed time after time that is in charge of this effort again this year, it is also the same group of people who failed to sell our CPQ to Microsoft after spending $$$$$$$ on marketing, wouldn't it be nice to give some of that money to your hard-working employees who sacrificed so much to keep the projects in shape?

Advice to Management

Knowing CPQ and PPSS are hosted on Microsoft Azure, I wouldn't be so keen on trying to sell our core product to MS, whose IT team is now trying to duplicate what we've worked so hard for, it's all on their cloud and they can freely grasp now.

In addition, while our travel team is the market dominator in what they do, the rest of this company is really nothing, without a dedicated PS team your out-dated technology is worthless snake oil, so don't be so keen on "cutting cost", you may be digging a hole.

"A Brief & Baffling Adventure"

Former Employee - Product Support in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Product Support in Houston, TX

I worked at PROS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All other concerns aside, there are some really comfortable parts of working at PROS. There's a break room on every floor that's stocked with good coffee and a range of snacks. People are generally given space to work where they want, how they want. The office is centrally located and the TVs are huge. There are employee-centered events constantly, so there's never a shortage of social engagement. The people are extremely nice. I liked a lot of them.

Be careful with the snacks though. They use healthy language and all, but I accidentally lived on them for a while and my blood sugar spiked to levels that concerned my doctor.

The money and benefits are top-notch though, no lie. If you have a family or want stability for any other reason, you could do a lot worse than this place.

Cons

The downsides of this place, though, can be significant - depending on your personality type and expectations. In the end, I think that PROS and I were not well-suited to each other. I was used to environments with high-visibility deliverables and deep user-vendor relationships, where accountability and effectiveness were really important. As such, when I saw processes that didn't work (or places where no process existed at all), I tried to change that. But PROS is not a place where accountability can thrive - I don't mean that as an insult, it's just not that kind of place - and so the pressure I exerted just made everyone uncomfortable. Eventually, I abandoned my efforts, and a while later they abandoned theirs (aka fired me).

While it was a relief to me to not have to fill out .25-hour-increment details on my timesheets like I did at other previous employers, the permissiveness of the company's timekeeping swings all the way into complete disregard. I was never asked to justify anything I put on my timesheet, and management never reviewed anything about our work with us.

Hours weren't the only thing we didn't actually track - despite repeatedly asking for answers to simple questions like "how many customers do we have on this product?" and "what am I supposed to be doing?" I was never able to get much of an idea of what was going on around me. This seemed to be generally a result of a string of reactionary reorganizations and rebrandings that gave a frequent impression that managers were trying to fill dead air with something, anything, as long as it keeps the gears turning.

Honestly, this is probably a pretty common strategy, so I only list it as a negative because in this company's case the absurdity of it was ratcheted up to the point where people around the office make jokes about it constantly. Flyers would appear announcing new initiatives in vague and exciting language, only to be replaced by a new and even more exciting one three months later, with nothing having happened in between.

But hey, it's a technology services company. If you're in this line of work, then all of this stuff is pretty standard. The bustle and irritation, the anxious lack of information, the manufactured culture - OH!

The manufactured culture thing is a particularly funny story. At one all-hands meeting we were, no joke, instructed to "laugh as hard as you can until I tell you to stop." It was an attempt to illustrate that fun work environments start with earnest effort from individual people. You know, the sort of "smile, you'll feel better!" kind of messaging. Except when someone with a microphone is commanding you to be happy, well, it stops being wishy-washy corporate pandering and it starts being something far more totalitarian and frightening. 2016! It's a time when otherwise-rational people actually choose to do this stuff. Go figure.

Anyway, it's all just busy work. I tried really hard to find high-value work while I was there, and I managed to do a couple things. I couldn't really get a handle on how I could be more valuable to them, and when I asked people just got mad. Eventually, I was fired without warning, in the middle of the afternoon in the middle of the week. I was never informed that I was in danger of losing my job (mid-year reviews "went away" this year), they refused to give me ANY explanation of what was happening, and when they mailed me my belongings, most of them were smashed. What a beautiful coda to a completely confusing experience.

"Mixed Review"

I worked at PROS full-time

Pros

Base pay is below average, but a good bonus and stock compensation structure. Decent benefits relative to the cost. The company is getting bigger, but still small enough to be able to know many people. Public company means stock compensation is possible. Solid software product and customer base. The company has been around for some time, so there is some stability.

Cons

A click-oriented culture with few decision-makers. It takes a very long time to get things done such as agree on customer deal terms, purchase equipment, and make hiring decisions. Employees have little latitude to make decisions. At Facebook and Google you have employees unleashed, and they grow rapidly by "breaking things." At PROS there is an obsession with consensus to the point of analysis paralysis, and the company's growth has lagged more dynamic ones. Building is not in the best part of town, especially at night, though the parking deck is attached to the building.

Advice to Management

It seems to be a major focus of management to focus on image to outsiders, but far less on actually understanding and improving the company's operations. This would not be so detrimental if employees had more autonomy and measured risks were allowed.

"Great company - great market trajectory"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at PROS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Very focused on "doing the right thing" with customers. The company knows that if it does everything to make its customers successful -- everything else will take care of itself. New customer wins are celebrated, but nothing gets people fired up more than hearing PROS customers speak about the great benefits they are receiving from their software.
    * The product organization is much more focused, introducing exciting new features which customers want
    * The cloud transition has gone very well - some speed-bumps early in the process but the shift has gone really well, and it is resonating with new and existing customers. It feels like a young company.

Cons

* Still have some work to do on getting all of the processes fine-tuned, but making progress

Advice to Management

Stay the course, focus on developing your middle managers as they will have more and more responsibilities as we continue to grow. Some are better than others and need coaching.

"Amazing company with great people that work together closely"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at PROS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership is very collaborative and professional
    Integrity is a key cultural component
    Loyal to customers and focused on customer success
    You can have tons of fun with some very bright people
    Investment in R&D is impressive

Cons

So much work and new wins that internal processes are stressed for capacity.

Marketing this awesome company and culture could be better

Advice to Management

Stay the course and keep this fantastic culture where people can do their best work.

10. "Great culture"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at PROS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

From the very beginning I was impressed at the cross-functional, cross-departmental, network of help and support each-other at PROS. We want each other to succeed and to succeed as a company.

Cons

It's not clear how to some people get promoted while others don't. Do you wait to be asked or do you go out and ask for it? At what pace does it occur? Why is that person not a VP???

Advice to Management

My advice would be -- address the Con that I've listed -- when someone does get promoted, talk about how they got there.

11. "A Great Company to Work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Friendly and hospitable environment with tons of amenities

Cons

Leadership tends to be disorganized at times

Advice to Management

Work on the communication that trickles down through leadership