PeaceHealth Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Liz Dunne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They provide excellent patient care, whereas their focus is primarily on patients and customer care (in 12 reviews)

• Great co-workers and great teamwork (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management places unrealistic staffing expectations (in 16 reviews)

• We are frequently asked to take more patients than the matrix lays out which equates to burned out workers and unsafe patient care (in 9 reviews)

1. "Overall rewarding place to work."

Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Springfield, OR
    Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Springfield, OR

I worked at PeaceHealth full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best thing about Peacehealth is the people I worked with--compassionate and caring. Doing a good job was a priority.

Cons

It was difficult to feel that upper management cared about the workers at the ground level--after 20+ years of service I am left feeling under appreciated.

Advice to Management

Things appear to be top heavy in management-- at least to those in the trenches.

2. "Very compassionate place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at PeaceHealth full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great leadership and I enjoy working with patients. This company cares about the community and it's employees. Definitely reccomend them for employment

Cons

The healthcare field in general has its challenges. No specific cons for this employer

"RN Staff nurse"

Current Employee - R N in Springfield, OR
    Current Employee - R N in Springfield, OR

I have been working at PeaceHealth full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits package including retirement, generous paid time off. Fair wages. Conscientious staff. Beautiful facility. Company encourages and assists with continuing education.

Cons

Top management is unstable, constantly changing hands. There is a very political atmosphere of disrespect and attempts to control by spinning information are common. Contract negotiations are particularly contentious. If you can focus on the basics of the job and your immediate environment it is not unpleasant. However, if this sort of thing gets to you, they are not for you.

Advice to Management

Realize there are no shortcuts to good healthcare. It is about so much more than money. If staff does not feel respected and appreciated all the programs, spin and slogans in the world will not get you satisfied patients.

4. "Making improvements, but burning us out in the process"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Vancouver, WA

Pros

Mostly laid back culture with some positions allowing for flexible schedules. Gym and cafeteria on site at business office. Management has made huge strides since coming together at a central location but lots of work left to do to stay competitive.

Cons

Pay is reasonable but no standardization in some areas. Huge discrepancies for people in same position with same education and experience. Benefits were once good but now declining.

Advice to Management

Stop burning good people out by under staffing. Keeping good employees is cheaper than replacing them when they finally give up and leave.

5. "Culture of Fear"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Eugene, OR

I worked at PeaceHealth full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary and benefits. Good analysts and immediate IT supervisors.

Cons

Poor senior management. Outmatched operational directors and managers. Mass exodus of top notch talent and inability to recruit and retain high integrity people. No support from within IT management, you are subject to the whims and insecurities of operations. Those people live in fear for their jobs and pass that same fear and insecurity down the chain. This company will probably fail on its own and be acquired by bigger, more professional company with better integrity.

Advice to Management

Move away from a customer-service model and back to a collaborative model where IT and operations work together. Fire incompetent operational managers and directors and recruit/retain high level talent.

"Fabulous Coworkers, Unrealistic Expectations Management"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at PeaceHealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, PeaceHealth SWMC is a strong hospital with fabulous healthcare workers. There is great team work and camaraderie among the employees with a goal of high patient satisfaction.

Cons

Upper management places unrealistic staffing expectations. Patient acuity levels are rising, the nurses are are continually asked to do more and more, but the staffing matrix is not adjusted accordingly. We are frequently asked to take more patients than the matrix lays out which equates to burned out workers and unsafe patient care.

Advice to Management

Rather than purely focussing on patient satisfaction, try to find a healthy balance for your workers as well. Make it a win-win environment. Time only allows for so much. We are literally at the point where it is physically impossible to do everything you ask us to do no matter how hard or smart we work.

7. "Quest Diagnostics Takeover Changes Everything"

Former Employee - Medical Technologist in Longview, WA
    Former Employee - Medical Technologist in Longview, WA

I worked at PeaceHealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers! They are all phenomenal and have inordinate amounts of knowledge to share with anyone.

Cons

Management. Consistently, they treat employees like tthe bottom of a shoe. Some people have a problem with calling in sick 1 or 2 times per week, every week. In turn, someone gets mandatoried to work a double, not cool! Very high stress and often managing at least two departments, three on night shift, or the entire lab (including processing). Union grievances are filed consistently often due to management's failure to abide by it. About Quest, they have taken all outpatient specimens from peacehealth labs and now ship them to Seattle or California. So, they took those and left us with STAT testing only and cut multiple positions while dropping previous 1.0 fte tech's to 0.8 fte.

Advice to Management

I'd say >70% feel like management simply doesn't care about them. I for one have never worked for a company that made me feel so unvalued. I suggest much more communication about all topics which effect the lab. If you don't, I'm certain you'll lose several employees that are critical in keeping the lab operational. You also need to pay attention to all of the bureaucratic processes that CAP requires and figure out what, when, who, and how they're going to get done now that those who were responsible have left the company. Finally, stop disrespecting the unions and those who are involved with them. The contract is a legal document you're required to follow. It's not something you just pick and choose whatever is best for you and ignore the rest. I'd also like to add, it's uneccessary and contemptuous to lie to your employees faces about things. Maybe ease up on that a bit.

8. "PeaceHealth Northwest Network"

Former Employee - Director Planning and Business Development in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Director Planning and Business Development in Bellingham, WA

I worked at PeaceHealth full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful and supportive team. Very patient focused and true to the Mission of the organization. Leadership team well regarding and has been in place for some time

Cons

A considerable amount of organizational changes at the System level with trickle down to the local networks. Employee morale has declined somewhat especially with the decision to outsource lab services to Quest

9. "Great location(s) and a dynamic schedule."

Current Employee - Epic Credentialed Trainer in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Epic Credentialed Trainer in Eugene, OR

I have been working at PeaceHealth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, reasonable pay, great colleagues.

Cons

Sometimes feel undervalued; pay is predominantly based on years of experience rather than skills/abilities.

10. "Nurse Team Lead"

Former Employee - Nurse Team Lead in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Nurse Team Lead in Bellingham, WA

I worked at PeaceHealth full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Psyche nursing often deals with returning patients. It is great to have a relationship with theses patients when they return to the hospital in crisis.

Cons

Peace Health is no longer a "community hospital" They actively seek to hire travelers in all areas of nursing. Staffing is a nightmare, we were consistently understaffed and required to be prepared to take more patients. There is zero loyalty to employees who have worked there for upwards of 10 years. Health insurance is bare minimum. The big business of Peace Health is to expand geographically, and the bottom line is making more money.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees.