PerBlue Reviews

Current Employee, more than 3 years

Culture Focused Company with Great People

Apr 28, 2021 - Anonymous in Madison, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Every department is different, but I've found PB to be a very dedicated group of people working in an environment open to new ideas. Since beginning my employment, I've felt heard and put in positions to make an impact. PB invests heavily into creating a great culture and work environment, I'm very grateful I landed here for however long.

Cons

The company is smaller, so after a while it can feel like the opportunities to move up in the company are limited. Management does a good job of working to hang onto talented employees and create the paths if and when they are needed.

2. 5.0

A Truly Exceptional Workplace

Feb 6, 2021 - Software Engineer in Madison, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Perblue is exceptional in their ability to not only respect but cherish their employees, from senior staff to interns. Good and thoughtful benefit programs aside, Perblue goes above and beyond in creating as an inclusive environment that they can, and not only rewarding but actively seeking out new ideas, criticism, and musings about the company and products from EVERY member of the team. Mobility within the company isn't clambering up the ladder to try to be the boss of your department, and then the boss of the next department, but rather finding a type of work you love within the game industry and getting the chance to try your hand at such a thing. Perblue is a scrappy, energetic contender in the games industry that consistently proves that great games are made not by big names or big budgets, but rather people committed to doing their part and helping each other make something great.

Cons

The salary is higher than other game dev jobs in the Madison area, but a bit lackluster compared to bigger companies or a typical non-game industry position. Solid benefits and entry-level positions help offset this, though. Respectable raises within two years occur. Perblue is also, still, a rather young company. Processes, rules, and tasks change from year to year as new situations arise and the company expands. It's good to see adaptability within the company, but often times that flexibility is required from employees in rather drastic ways. To work at Perblue is to work at a very small company with very large products to create and maintain. You'll be expected to work with nearly EVERYONE at the company, have clear goals for what you want from this job experience, and be ready to adapt and learn from others.

3. 5.0

I *love( my job

Jul 12, 2019 - Data Analyst in Madison, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very friendly, open, fun office culture (including lots of social clubs) Flexible work hours Lots of people with small kids Great social events (escape rooms, river tubing, WWE) Free snacks Incredible daily catered lunch plan Excellent fringe benefits (mobile device partial reimbursement, 6.4 weeks paid vacation per year, Sector67 membership, green commuting incentives, etc) Shower available (great for bike commuting) Exceptionally competent coworkers Responsive management Great working environment Flexibility to learn new skills and/or focus on your passions I get do data analysis and talk about video games all day with passionate and talented co-workers. What is not to love?!

Cons

It would be cool if we could teleport to work. Salaries are merely competitive and not extravagant. Absolutely no R&D budget for immortality studies.

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company to Work at!

Jun 20, 2019 - Digital Marketing Analyst in Madison, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is extremely friendly and helpful, not only getting started but overall. There are always social events happening which makes it a lot easier to get to know your co-workers. The work is challenging and always changing, which definitely helps from falling into a rut with your work. Very collaborative and enthusiastic work environment that makes coming to work every day fun!

Cons

There's doesn't seem a clear path for individual growth/advancement, that being said, I have no doubts that opportunities will arise and the company will not shy away from ensuring individual's are given opportunities to shine and advance and I'm just still too new to see these paths.

5. 5.0

Best job I've ever had!

Aug 2, 2019 - Creative Coordinator
    Business Outlook

Pros

PerBlue is an amazing company to work for! They value your creativity, skills, and time and allow you to explore areas that interest you and make you passionate to come to work everyday. Everyone is nice, friendly, and very supportive. The environment as a whole is collaborative and non-judgmental. I love working here!

Cons

No cons with this job.

6. 5.0

Good company

Oct 25, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Management really cares about you Work-life balance exists here and they make an effort to maintain this Your ideas are heard and hold a lot of weight Cool culture and overall everyone's kind Very little drama Lots of fun company events!

Cons

Management sometimes gives people too many chances Being a fast-paced work environment, some ideas aren't discussed thoroughly

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

An Exciting Place to Be!

Jul 26, 2018 - Art Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked at PerBlue for a few years now and the amount of change that has occurred in that time is staggering. Executives are constantly improving processes and are open to criticism. When there are issues they make concerted efforts to fix them. The PTO policy is fantastic, and the people here cultivate a culture of empathy, good humor, and constant improvement. The office space and location are nice. Right now it is a very exciting time to work here, as we just released our first IP project and the company is growing. I've never been more proud or enthusiastic about working here. There's a lot of opportunity to make a creative mark here.

Cons

Due to the competitive nature of mobile games there is a certain amount of risk aversion in terms of innovating on mechanics. While I list this as a con I understand why it is necessary.

5 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0

Awesome Place to Work

Apr 29, 2013 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been at PerBlue for just over a year and have been extremely happy here. Being a smaller company, we are all pretty close-knit and have developed great, effective working relationships. Culture is a big part of the make-up of our company; we really value the time we have together, we all work incredibly hard, but we also know how to have fun and enjoy ourselves at the same time. Justin and the rest of management do an excellent job hiring people who will truly be a good fit for the company, and I think that is very evident on a daily basis. Personally, I have enjoyed being challenged and learning new things on a regular basis. To top it all off, employees receive great benefits and we have a lot of fun perks that come along with working here. Without a doubt, PerBlue is an awesome place to work.

Cons

There really aren't any significant cons working at PerBlue.

5 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0

Making Video Games

Dec 15, 2015 - Software Engineer in Madison, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

So far (6 months), making video games with PerBlue has been very rewarding and fun to do. I have been having a lot of fun and the people here are fantastic and love what they do. There is a lunch plan for catered lunches and quite a few company get-togethers to socialize with co-workers.

Cons

I have had a handful of times where I have had to stay late to finish projects. This usually is the case with this industry, but I think that overall I have had a pretty good time with work/life balance (except crunch times).

4 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee

Close knit and focused team with talent and ambition

Aug 19, 2016 -  in Madison, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

There is something very special about working for a small team that accomplishes big things, PerBlue is that kind of place. Employees are encouraged to grow within their roles, taking on projects that motivate and inspire them. Management is engaged and committed to both the success of the company as a whole and the team that comprises it. Benefits package is extremely competitive and the PTO is exceptional. I'm extremely happy with the decision to come to PerBlue.

Cons

I can understand that if you are not a self starter who is motivated to manage your own tasks you would find the lack of micro-managing overwhelming. If you are a driven, self directed individual, you will thrive.

2 people found this review helpful