PerBlue Reviews

PerBlue CEO Justin Beck
Justin Beck

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Generally lower pay than national average(in 3 reviews)
  • "The salary is higher than other game dev jobs in the Madison area, but a bit lackluster compared to bigger companies or a typical non(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0

Best company I’ve worked for

May 12, 2022 - Software Engineer in Madison, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance is wonderful, the people are great, and it never feels like I’m being micromanaged. I’m trusted as an engineer to do good work, and am provided with a ton of flexibility in my schedule. I’ve never been denied a day requested off, and PerBlue management had always worked very hard to help make sure my experience is nothing but great. I love it here!

Cons

Some recent studio changes has caused some to become unhappy and leave, causing us to be understaffed. But even understaffed there is almost never overtime.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

The executives are holding PerBlue back from success

Aug 20, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

When I started, PerBlue had an incredible office culture. Everyone I interacted with on a daily basis was an absolute pleasure to work with. My team and immediate supervisor was (and is still) amazing. The adjacent teams were an absolute pleasure to work with. I have formed so many close friendships with coworkers that I believe will last the rest of my life. Honestly, I have never worked in a more joyful place and I hope that I can work at a place so joyful again in the future. I am so grateful for my time at PerBlue.

Cons

It devastates me to say this, but the CEO, Justin Beck, is actively driving this company into the ground. He actively undermines his teams. He treats non-technical workers and teams horribly. He claims compensation is competitive. While I have no first-hand knowledge of the pay of other employees, I have heard generally that pay at PerBlue is roughly 2/3rds of market labor prices, which matched my experience. Beck's business ideas are, quite frankly, very bad. His business and game ideas are poorly researched, have no written business plan, are often unrelated to the company vision or goals, and fall apart quickly under any scrutiny or self-reflection. He seems incapable of incorporating any new information into his worldview, including the evaluation of his business ideas. He so resolutely refuses to listen to the experience of his extremely talented staff if any of their ideas or experience goes against his personal individual beliefs, interests, and fantasies. When he delegates the work of validating and implementing his ideas to PerBlue's extremely competent new product teams, he refuses to let them have the ownership necessary to kill his ideas and make something actually good, as they are fully capable of doing. This is completely demoralizing, wastes months and years of product development time, and ultimately leaves the company lurching from one bad idea to the next with no coherent vision or direction. The executives actively undermine the extremely talented women at all levels of the company. They actively refuse to do the personal work required to make the company more inclusive and undermine diversity and inclusion efforts by other employees at the company. The top leadership is a "Boys Club" and there is absolutely no indication that will change any time soon. The executives consistently undervalue any work that women do at the company and have a pattern of undermining women in leadership positions until they quit. And worst of all, they refuse to acknowledge or take any meaningful action to fix these issues at the company. And while I'm sure they will respond to this comment with some platitudes about how the company values diversity and is an inclusive place to work, I have heard so many stories from both current and former employees that actively contradicts that messaging; it's just more refusal to face the tough cultural issues facing the company. Perhaps someday they will change, but I've stopped holding my breath. As of now, you might notice that there are a lot of open positions at PerBlue. This is because people are leaving en-mass while the executive leadership team is actively refusing to acknowledge the grave retention problems facing the company. There is a widespread lack of trust in the direction of the company and specifically in the CEO and COO. Most (but certainly not all) of the employees that were cultural pillars of this company have left to have wildly successful careers elsewhere, no longer held back by the PerBlue's leadership. Tragically, none of this feedback is new to the executives. Other former colleagues have told me they have voiced similar concerns to the executives for years, both while they were employed and during exit interviews. This feedback is intentionally, systematically, and aggressively ignored. That complete refusal to even briefly consider the leadership issues at PerBlue leaves me with very little hope for the company. Will PerBlue still be a good place to launch a career in games of the back of a flailing company? Yeah, I think probably so. Would I recommend PerBlue as a place to work over someplace like Blizzard? Absolutely, every day. Can I, in good faith, currently recommend PerBlue as a good place to work? It absolutely breaks my heart, but I can not.

14 people found this review helpful
  3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

A fabulous place to work!

Sep 20, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Wonderful sense of community -Transparency -Focus on work/life balance -Great added benefits

Cons

Could have more diversity and inclusion (but they are actively working on it)

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Culture Focused Company with Great People

Apr 28, 2021 - Anonymous in Madison, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Every department is different, but I've found PB to be a very dedicated group of people working in an environment open to new ideas. Since beginning my employment, I've felt heard and put in positions to make an impact. PB invests heavily into creating a great culture and work environment, I'm very grateful I landed here for however long.

Cons

The company is smaller, so after a while it can feel like the opportunities to move up in the company are limited. Management does a good job of working to hang onto talented employees and create the paths if and when they are needed.

5. 1.0
    Former Employee

STAY AWAY

Aug 31, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The only 'pro' of working here was getting free purchases in the games we made. That is it

Cons

Literally everything. This company is a profit-only company and I soon realized that nobody there cared about its customers. The customer support team there was atrocious, as I saw countless bad reviews come through but we never posted them to make us keep looking good.

4 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0

A Truly Exceptional Workplace

Feb 6, 2021 - Software Engineer in Madison, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Perblue is exceptional in their ability to not only respect but cherish their employees, from senior staff to interns. Good and thoughtful benefit programs aside, Perblue goes above and beyond in creating as an inclusive environment that they can, and not only rewarding but actively seeking out new ideas, criticism, and musings about the company and products from EVERY member of the team. Mobility within the company isn't clambering up the ladder to try to be the boss of your department, and then the boss of the next department, but rather finding a type of work you love within the game industry and getting the chance to try your hand at such a thing. Perblue is a scrappy, energetic contender in the games industry that consistently proves that great games are made not by big names or big budgets, but rather people committed to doing their part and helping each other make something great.

Cons

The salary is higher than other game dev jobs in the Madison area, but a bit lackluster compared to bigger companies or a typical non-game industry position. Solid benefits and entry-level positions help offset this, though. Respectable raises within two years occur. Perblue is also, still, a rather young company. Processes, rules, and tasks change from year to year as new situations arise and the company expands. It's good to see adaptability within the company, but often times that flexibility is required from employees in rather drastic ways. To work at Perblue is to work at a very small company with very large products to create and maintain. You'll be expected to work with nearly EVERYONE at the company, have clear goals for what you want from this job experience, and be ready to adapt and learn from others.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee

Good

Sep 10, 2021 - Game Designer in Madison, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice place to work at

Cons

Generally lower pay than national average

Be the first to find this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

An Exciting Place to Be!

Jul 26, 2018 - Art Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked at PerBlue for a few years now and the amount of change that has occurred in that time is staggering. Executives are constantly improving processes and are open to criticism. When there are issues they make concerted efforts to fix them. The PTO policy is fantastic, and the people here cultivate a culture of empathy, good humor, and constant improvement. The office space and location are nice. Right now it is a very exciting time to work here, as we just released our first IP project and the company is growing. I've never been more proud or enthusiastic about working here. There's a lot of opportunity to make a creative mark here.

Cons

Due to the competitive nature of mobile games there is a certain amount of risk aversion in terms of innovating on mechanics. While I list this as a con I understand why it is necessary.

6 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0

Awesome Place to Work

Apr 29, 2013 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been at PerBlue for just over a year and have been extremely happy here. Being a smaller company, we are all pretty close-knit and have developed great, effective working relationships. Culture is a big part of the make-up of our company; we really value the time we have together, we all work incredibly hard, but we also know how to have fun and enjoy ourselves at the same time. Justin and the rest of management do an excellent job hiring people who will truly be a good fit for the company, and I think that is very evident on a daily basis. Personally, I have enjoyed being challenged and learning new things on a regular basis. To top it all off, employees receive great benefits and we have a lot of fun perks that come along with working here. Without a doubt, PerBlue is an awesome place to work.

Cons

There really aren't any significant cons working at PerBlue.

6 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0

Making Video Games

Dec 15, 2015 - Software Engineer in Madison, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

So far (6 months), making video games with PerBlue has been very rewarding and fun to do. I have been having a lot of fun and the people here are fantastic and love what they do. There is a lunch plan for catered lunches and quite a few company get-togethers to socialize with co-workers.

Cons

I have had a handful of times where I have had to stay late to finish projects. This usually is the case with this industry, but I think that overall I have had a pretty good time with work/life balance (except crunch times).

4 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 38 Reviews

PerBlue Reviews FAQs

PerBlue has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 46 reviews left anonymously by employees. 78% of employees would recommend working at PerBlue to a friend and 78% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, PerBlue employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.9 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at PerBlue. This rating has decreased by -5% over the last 12 months.

78% of PerBlue employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated PerBlue 4.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.2 for culture and values and 4.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at PerBlue to be management, career development, benefits and the cons to be compensation, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with PerBlue Job Seekers