Plaster Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Shawn Plaster

1. "A Company with Integrity"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Plaster Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plaster Group is the first company I've worked at that genuinely cares about their clients and employees, and I don't say that lightly. The founder and CEO strives to make each employee feel valued and he helps them work to their fullest potential. There is a high level of support from the team – ego never shows itself. If you have a question or need help, you have resources who are more than happy to offer assistance.
    There is also a culture of giving back to the community and helping others, which I find inspiring; this is a company that is focused on the person, the client, and the community, knowing that proper care of each leads to success.
    Additionally, the employee benefits are incredibly generous and comprehensive, for which I am grateful.
    It was a lucky day I was offered a job at Plaster Group! I have enjoyed every minute with this company.

Cons

Honestly can't think of any!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

2. "Employer of Choice"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Plaster Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's been a long time since I worked for a company that cared so much about the success and happiness of their team members. I'm delighted to be a part of the team and could not have been better supported since I started with Plaster Group. Everything from employee benefits to professional development is top tier and the leadership team consistently solicits ideas from every employee for what the leadership team can do to better serve the employees and clients. Despite the tremendous strength of experience, skills, and talents on the team, I have never seen ego appear at any meeting or event. The strength of character and values begins with the founder/CEO and extends to every person on the team.

Cons

No constructive feedback to offer!

Advice to Management

I'll be happy if you continue focusing on how we can become more successful and better serve our clients.

3. "Fantastic Employer"

Former Employee - Senior BI Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior BI Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Plaster Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company finds the best projects for its employees that will ensure the employee enjoys the work and that the project is something of value we can offer to the client. Excellent benefits. Leadership treats its employees very well. It's not only a great place to build your career but also be able to work with fun people.

Cons

Really, none that I can speak of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

4. "Best Employer I've Had"

Current Employee - Senior Business Solutions Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Solutions Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Plaster Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The leadership team goes out of its way to let the employees know it cares. It feels like our opinion about how to keep improving as a company is valued and often implemented. The benefits are amazing and they just keep coming! Two years ago they rolled out a 3% employer retirement match and a technology allowance. Last year it was a $1500 FSA account and the Orca card. Quarterly book club, recognition for birthdays and anniversaries, parking allowance, generous PTO, etc.. The company really follows up on its commitments.

The client list just keeps getting bigger and better. We have all the big name clients in town but the one thing I've appreciated the most is the lack of dependency on Microsoft. Most consulting companies in town earn most of their revenue from Microsoft. I believe we have only a couple of consultants there at the moment Plus they always ask for our opinion about our next assignment without any pressure to take something because it's available.

Cons

Not too many cons to report but maybe opportunities. Can we follow through on the corporate day of caring discussed at one of the quarterly meetings?

Advice to Management

Keep up the employee-centric culture!

"Senior Business Intelligence Developer"

Former Employee - Senior Business Intelligence Developer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Intelligence Developer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Plaster Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is by far the best consulting firm I have worked with so far and leaving it for a shorter commute was a very very difficult decision. Anyway, if I had to summarize Plaster in a few words, it would be: professionalism, highly experienced personnel, and integrity. The company has the client's best interest at heart recommending staffing to clients that are truly commensurate with their business needs rather than just wanting to throw bodies at a client like other firms. Also, Plaster's vetting of job candidates seems thorough with equal emphasis on emotional intelligence as well as technical know-how which I find to be a refreshingly holistic approach to hiring which is good for the company and good for the clients.
    The head of the firm Shawn Plaster, is very down-to-earth, no-nonsense and very personable and takes care of his people. There is a family-like comraderie which he brings to the company with quarterly off-sites at the Washington Athletic Club, holiday parties at Daniel's Broiler and the annual Mariner's game outing (in a suite!) for employees and family members. The company benefits are also great where the basic insurance plans are fully paid by the company, plus 4 weeks of PTO and pretty darn good bonuses. Like I said, it was not easy leaving.

Cons

Not really a con but only for me...most if not all of the client's are in Seattle. As an east-sider, the commute was a bit long.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and try to get some BI clients on the east side. :)

"Senior Business Solution Consultant"

I worked at Plaster Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I thoroughly enjoyed working at Plaster Group. As a longtime consultant who spent most of my career traveling, it was great to be with a company who valued work / life balance and insisted on no traveling for its employees. The PTO (4 weeks) and full healthcare for my family was generous, and the client list is top notch. The leadership team practices what they preach in terms of doing right by the client at all times.

Cons

Can't really say too much here. I always felt like the company had my best interest at heart.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

"Voting with my feet"

Current Employee - SENIOR PROJECT MANAGER & PM DISCIPLINE LEAD in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - SENIOR PROJECT MANAGER & PM DISCIPLINE LEAD in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Plaster Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We don't hire for a role; we hire for the company. It took me a while to truly internalise that. The end result is a cadre of extremely high-calibre professionals I'm proud to call colleagues. Likeability is a surprisingly high factor in selection, and I don't mean a sort of asinine, anodyne conviviality. We look for good people, in every sense of the term, though once in a while a bounder slips through.. :-) (though the latter don't last too long).
    I moved to consulting late in life and one of things I worried about is the "slickness" (aka sleaziness) factor that is one of the perceptions about this industry. It only took a few months on-site to realise that Shawn walks the talk. He scrupulously follows through on his advice to always "do the right thing" and "do what is best for the client". That is one of the reasons I find myself enjoying this career so much - it allows me to the best I can be, pushes me out of my comfort zone (since my default is laziness) while at the same time providing me a very solid support base. I am content with my overall compensation, given that I have work-life balance and especially at a time when so many people are shorn of employment opportunities, let alone one that makes one happy.
    I titled my review thus to explain that staying with PG has been a very conscious, deliberate choice. I have received very kind offers from clients to join their org. For about the first two years after starting in consulting I did give the offers some thought. I have not, for a very long time.
    And, did I say I love the people with whom I work?

Cons

It's a relatively young company so some situations call for the rules to be made (or changed) as we go along. But I feel like I have input into decision-making: the CEO is open to suggestions so long as a) you can make an logical argument b) provide data for your argument and c) be willing to act on it/prove your point.
    While our niche is seasoned and well-rounded professionals, I think we should look into including younger, less experienced profiles that show promise. I think we could do a better job -than the Big 5 - of finding and grooming young hopefuls.

"Best Management Consulting Firm I've worked for bar none!!"

Former Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Plaster Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Plaster Group for almost four years before my family had to move out of state. I spent 17 years doing management consulting in Seattle and worked for 3 other highly prestigious management consulting firms but none stacked up to what I experienced at Plaster Group.

First off the benefits they offer are fantastic. I am married with four kids and I never had to worry about a dime coming out my paycheck for medical, dental and vision as my whole family was covered. I also had a month and a half gap between projects and I never felt an ounce of worry about my employment thanks to the work I was engaged on internally during that time and the communication between senior leadership and myself was great. I was also SO happy to be able to do PM work at a local non-profit.

I appreciated working for a company that has seasoned consultants and sticks to their brand and doesn't deviate from it. The other firms I worked for sold me on that, but it felt like they would take work that was not aligned to what they do for a quick buck.

The CEO Shawn Plaster is fantastic. He is the most honest of all the CEOs I worked for. At the Plaster Group quarterly meetings Shawn would go over the company highlights but also include any areas of improvement or things he personally felt he could be doing better. I really appreciated how humble Shawn was and down to earth.

I am going to miss the folks at Plaster Group but I'm sure I’ll stay in touch with many of them!!

Cons

I would love to see Plaster Group get a larger footprint in some of their clients. The have an impressive list of clients but I feel they have a great opportunity to expand at a few of them.

Advice to Management

Keep up what you are doing. I know the future is bright for Plaster Group!!

"Amazing Place to Work"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA

Pros

My experience with the Plaster Group was outstanding.
    • The company is full of highly intelligent and enthusiastic people
    • The management brings in high quality clients with engaging work
    • Good pay and benefits (PTO, Holidays, medical)
    • Clients are in the Seattle area, little to no travel
    • Focus on work life balance
    • Great leadership, they are accessible and receptive to new ideas
    • Great training opportunities

Overall, a fantastic organization.

Cons

I did not have any issues during my time at PG.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

10. "Senior BI Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior BI/DW Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior BI/DW Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Plaster Group (More than a year)

Pros

CEO is ethical and honest, and wants to do the right thing. Talks a good game.

Cons

Volatility of pipeline needs work. Favored few employees get the assignments and stay on, the rest are churned.

Advice to Management

Need more effective Business Development staff.