PowerPlan Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
J. Charles Goodman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free bagels every Friday, tons of free snacks and drinks (in 6 reviews)

• They have very good compensation rates compared to similar jobs and definitely very good benefits (including unheard of health care benefits) (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of trust amongst managers and direct reports (in 3 reviews)

• If you have been programming since you were 6 and majored in CompSci but have only a slight interest in asset accounting, PowerPlan is not for you (in 3 reviews)

"Moving in the right direction"

I have been working at PowerPlan full-time

Pros

There have been big wins in the last year. The new product has been successfully delivered. The existing product has been enhanced with new features. R&D has changed. There are improvements in process, tools and skills.
    The latest technologies in development have been introduced and the company has a roadmap to move all products to the new platform. There is a plan!
    The development team has some really smart people, who have interesting ideas and good solutions. The people are nice and the environment is good. I have learnt lots in my time here.
    Things are much better than this time last year and I feel positive about the direction we are heading.

Cons

The existing product needs more investment. We dont know how long it will take to move existing product to new platform. There have been improvements in how the offshore teams are managed, but it is still not great.
    Workspace can be loud.

Advice to Management

You have asked for our feedback and we have given it, now act on it.
    Manage the offshore teams better.
    Cross train developers across all technologies that we use.

2. "PowerPlan"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at PowerPlan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It once felt like a small company where you know everyone and there is a lot of transparency

Cons

Look at the pros and none of that really exists anymore.

"Toxic Work Environment & Inept Management"

I worked at PowerPlan full-time

Pros

Depending on who becomes your manager and how much visibility you have, it's possible to move up the ladder 'quickly'. Only a handful of well-placed and extroverted consultants have this opportunity. When I say extroverted, I mean borderline narcissistic and flamboyant - not necessarily employees who look out for their team or the product, just the ones that have a big mouth and a smile on their face.

There are a few great employees that can be leaders to this company, but everyone stays quiet to preserve the status quo.

Nice office and free snacks - not worth it.

Cons

The management style at PP is predatory - I am your boss and you are a good employee if and only if you make my life easier and make me feel awesome. Management as a whole is inept, inexperienced, and the lack vigor/commitment to sustain a growing company. Every 'department' other than Plant/Fixed Asset has been deceived and lied to from Day 1 of my employment. The entire company is focused on Plant/Fixed Asset from how the company is structured causing cross-departmental issues not only in the delineation of responsibilities (can't work as a team), but also cross-departmental knowledge. Where was the continuous industry education that was promised to me? Were we to learn the functional knowledge simply by looking at the old, out-of-date, archaic PowerBuilder code? There is a silver lining to this because a consultant is typically assigned to a project w/o much supervision and can learn the soft skills needed to run a software services project.

If you are at a tipping point between applying/accepting a role at PP, do not take the job because of the salary and benefits - you will regret it. Take the job you connected with even if it means getting paid 5-10k less.

Advice to Management

Please take a look at each department's turnover rate and study why people leave. Question department heads as to what they are doing - perhaps re-evaluate their job description. I don't see any sort of movement into improving current processes. There has been funding and development on the new product, which won't be released for another 3-5 years. So what are we to do in the mean time? Where's the improvement on the existing product that all of your clients are using now?

"Obsolete Technology and Toxic Work Environment"

Pros

Nice office space, decent pay and benefits, and free snacks in the kitchen.

Cons

Very bizarre and extremely predatory company culture. People will completely ignore each other around the office. There are a few well-established cliques among the ranks, and if you're lucky, you'll be accepted into one of them. If not, then you'll basically have an X on your back for the rest of your time here. During my employment, I didn't receive a single minute of continued industry training or professional development; I was simply expected to improve and learn more completely on my own. The higher-ups here think that they can do no wrong, and are not receptive to new ideas/new ways of thinking. If you try to shake things up or revolutionize the way that business is conducted, you'll likely get the axe. There are strong political forces at work here, and a culture that's fueled by rumors and paranoia. The burdensome workloads that resulted from massive turnover here began to weigh heavily on me, eventually depressing my mood both at the office and at home.

Advice to Management

The cloud isn't just moisture in the atmosphere; it's SaaS and it will leave you all behind unless you join the rest of us in 2017. When it comes to leading people and managing a company, you're all completely inept. Seek major help from a change management consulting service on how to improve your management skills; you owe it to yourselves and to the people who you employ.

"Great Company, if You Know WTF you are doing"

Former Employee - Professional Services Consultant
    Former Employee - Professional Services Consultant

I worked at PowerPlan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Salary and Benefits. Unmatched by any other company
    High performing peers
    Approachable Management
    Collaborative Environment
    Oddly motivating break room snacks which introduce a random new item each month

Cons

What am I doing, and why is this important?
    Boring subject matter
    Assumption by everyone that you know what you're job subject matter is. The reality is that people that have been there less than 4 years don't completely understand their job
    Poor cross-training on other software modules

Advice to Management

Try to cross-train on other areas of the software
    Dump the no-personality clients...they are a drain on consultant resources
    Make a more transparent goals and expectations

"Feels like the tide is turning"

Current Employee - Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at PowerPlan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Really smart employees
    Financially sound
    Recent technology changes point to a promising future
    New analytics solution successfully released
    Business is growing

Cons

Aging technology
    Strategy is not always clear
    Focus is always on financial results
    Somewhat high turnover in consulting (this is getting better)

Advice to Management

Communicate changes/improvements internally
    The new leadership change is starting to produce results, don't stop and don't look back
    There will always be criticism from long term employees that don't like change

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at PowerPlan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart workforce, casual environment, good pay, and lots of opportunity for growth

Cons

One year in and there are none to complain of that you wouldn't find in any job

Advice to Management

Keep growing and developing talent

"Overall experience"

Pros

great atmosphere, free snacks, collaborative and open senior management

Cons

small size, few opportunities outside developer consultant positions

"Solid Company, Wrong Direction"

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at PowerPlan (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent atmosphere, bright people and great benefits. Fun culture with opportunities to enjoy co-workers outside of the office.

Cons

Poor executive leadership with constantly changing policies around company direction, compensation and leadership. Sales seems to be a turnstile position. Outdated technology that is being bandaided until the new web-based platform is marketable. No real initiative to fix current product since R&D has put all eggs in its offshore basket.

Unless you are a "yes" man or woman, there is little opportunity to move up with the small minded leadership running the show. Young exec team has minimal experience outside of PowerPlan so decision making is not a strong suit. Constantly changing teams, directions, personnel (especially Accounting and Sales) make it hard to understand what is going on. Exec team does not give straight answers and communication is usually 3 days late as everyone hears news through the grapevine. Looming layoffs are always a scare with several happening in prior years.

Experienced people have been trickling out but now have begun to exit more leaving the younger generation with little to go on in an industry that is very niche and detail oriented around asset accounting specific software. It appears the exec team has no desire to keep the experienced people but simply replace them with multiple entry level people to help "grow" their company.

Advice to Management

Get back to basics. Listen to employees about challenges each faces in their daily jobs. Minimize wholesale changes within the company/departments.

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at PowerPlan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of growth opportunities, fun culture, supportive team, competitive compensation and benefits. The company acknowledges hard work and so your work will not go unnoticed. Overall, it's a great company to be working for. Since the company is growing so fast, more leadership positions are opening up.

Cons

Work can be difficult. You need to know how to problem solve, work independently, and know when to seek help. If you do not put in the effort and attitude, others will know and word will spread since this is a Sm/md sized private company.