Preferred Mutual Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Christopher Taft

1. Featured Review

"Great benefits, Understand life happens"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Berlin, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Berlin, NY

I have been working at Preferred Mutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm grateful for the benefits including my good salary (especially for this area), the ability to work from home some days, decent medical plans, flex time, lots of time off including "floating holidays," tuition reimbursement, hardworking co-workers, PENSION & 401k, holiday bonus and bonus in the spring if the company does well, cafeteria in the building with low costs (lunch most days costs me under $5), gym in the building (small, but people use it!). My manager cares about my home & family life and life situations that come up. I'm very grateful for that. There are also other small perks that are appreciated- the luncheon at the Otesaga, decent birthday gifts, business casual dress most of the time, dress down days on Fridays that cost us money but all of the money raised goes to a charity. An amazing thing they do is match donation gifts to charities to a certain amount. They reimburse for gym memberships and weight loss programs and also threw an amazing holiday party for employees and their families. People who are looking to get designations in the insurance industry have testing onsite so we don't have to travel all over looking for places to take the tests. They just recently promoted two women in leadership positions to VPs, so that was nice to see.

Cons

medical costs could be lower- though they did lower the cost for 2017 (I say this because some local companies offer free or extremely cheap medical insurance for single employees). some managers don't seem flexible about working from home or time off (though most do).

Advice to Management

keep bringing people in with fresh, new ideas, but appreciate the history that lies with people who have also been here for a while, as mentioned before, some managers seem to not be as flexible or dedicated as others, so please encourage this mentality in them or hold them accountable

2. "The Real Deal"

Current Employee - Digital Media Specialist in New Berlin, NY
    Current Employee - Digital Media Specialist in New Berlin, NY

I have been working at Preferred Mutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

On my first day, I was struck by how many people welcomed me aboard, and by how many of them said (independent of each other), "You are going to love it here!" They couldn't have been more right. It's an attitude thing that's right, here. It's about the respect we all have for one another, and for protecting the best interests of our customers (truthfully), and it's about being a part of building a great company- and to have a lot of fun doing it.

We've all heard of company's who talk the talk, but it's quite humbling to work for one who goes above and beyond in everything they do for their employees. From 401K contributions, to fully funded employee pension plans, providing excessive healthcare premium coverage, generous time off and flexible work arrangements, all the way up to how you are treated when you pass Executives in the hallways - it's humbling (and motivating) to work for such a great company.

Cons

I really can't think of any. We have cubicles- no one ever really gets excited about those... And maybe some more comfortable chairs would be a plus. On the bright side, we have lots of windows :)

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. All the decisions you make behind closed doors do not go unnoticed.

"6 year employee"

Current Employee - Operations in New Berlin, NY
    Current Employee - Operations in New Berlin, NY

I have been working at Preferred Mutual full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Finally embracing flex work schedules for some and adding diversity. Nice birthday gifts and picnic.

Cons

Low pay, although they will tell you otherwise. I have a family member at another local Insurance business in the same role, less experience than me, making $30,000 more and pays less for healthcare. HUGE segregation of status and pay based on level. Extremely male dominated in the executive roles with two women directors, who seem to work harder than the senior executives.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate your pay scales. Add more women executives and get your executives to make decisions. The rest of us are waiting on them.

"Strange Company"

Former Employee - Management in New Berlin, NY
    Former Employee - Management in New Berlin, NY

I worked at Preferred Mutual full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fair pay including gain share

Cons

Company is located in a remote area with almost all white staff. Female management is lacking. The CEO is an accountant and the management staff is scared to death of him. If you disagree with him your gone ! High turnover in management staff. They would rather go outside the company than promote from within.

Advice to Management

Be open to feedback of staff. Telling the CEO what he wants to hear will hurt the company.

"Cool company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Berlin, NY

Pros

Financially and technology strong company. Do things outside the box and gives employees opportunities to work on career stretching projects. Telework available for most positions. Work hard, play hard - nice appreciation events throughout the year. Gainsharing and bonus opportunities available too. Internal promotions are frequent at just about all levels.

Cons

Some of the out of the box projects not fully thought through. If assigned to these can make the project stall out while executive sponsors ponder what to do and it can end up reflecting poorly on the project lead although outside their control. Some leaders are very strong and others are not. That's true in all work environments, get to know who you will be working for and this can be a great long term career option. I rated work/life low only because it depends who you work for some have it great some don't. I ranked senior management low too because in my opinion they are not listening to staff. Its a hard line between driving the company and listening to what sounds like excuses. But listen anyway you never know what you will hear. Kinda wish someone had asked me on my way out why I chose to leave, but was told everyone was too busy to make the time. This only confirmed it was time to go.

Advice to Management

Bring your leadership team up to a higher standard. Big dogs from outside the area are not always the answer although understandable that some 'new blood' is needed in the company. These big ticket placements aren't always what they seem.... listen to your employees if they dare to speak out about them. They often have one face for leaders an another for staff...not healthy. Silently toxic actually. These are isolated situations, but you have to be willing to listen. These hires are often put on high pedestals when hired and employees quickly realize they are untouchable so not worth sharing feedback. Some of the inconsistencies of these leaders have employees white knuckling their days. Maybe an anonymous survey would let you know what's going on? Some good people doing good work stay silent when they shouldn't. Wish nothing but the best for the company and it's employees. Thanks for everything while working there I had some of the best career experiences of my life some of the most personally challenging too which resulted in my resignation. Best of luck to the new incumbent maybe s/he can make it work when I no longer could.

"No room for advancement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Berlin, NY

I worked at Preferred Mutual full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great abilities to work remotely when needed. Line managers were great and really cared about staff. Workloads were acceptable. General staff is pleasant to work with.

Cons

Senior management team is out of touch. No women in officer roles at the time of posting...check the website. Very little chance for advancement...like to hire from outside vereses promoting from within...Sr team is forgetting what made the company successful.

7. "Don't Get Sick"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in New Berlin, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in New Berlin, NY

I have been working at Preferred Mutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice perks such as luncheons and little trinkets.
    Gain Share
    Insurance from employment date

Cons

Intolerant of illness
    Management plays favorites

"Excellent Beyond Description"

Current Employee - Product Development Specialist in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Product Development Specialist in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Preferred Mutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company espouses a culture where the employees are encouraged to grow and develop. The salary is more than commensurate with the work expected. I am able to work from home and this creates time for me to work more efficiently. My manager is flexible, yet expects excellence. He also leads by example as does our CEO and other top management.
    I also like how altruistic we are. We are constantly contributing to the community and do good employee development activities such as "Pay it Forward". I bless the day that I was called to interview! It marked a change in my career that was well worth my while!

Cons

NONE!..I would not change anything except maybe the location. Then again I would not change that either because I feel that part of what makes PMIC so special is it's location.

Advice to Management

Please continue to keep up the great work!

"Stop trying to fix what isn't broken!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Berlin, NY

I worked at Preferred Mutual full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible job locations. Ability to work from home or different office locations that are convenient for the employee. Flat infrastructure. Bonus gain share and good 401k opportunities. Traditional retirement plan still in place (for now).

Cons

Very one sided upper management view-you either yes them to death or you are fired. New management hires have "nasty" ways about them that is destroying the culture that makes this a unique company.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be a "big player" in the marketplace. There is a niche for this type of company but it can only be successful if the staff can retain their sweet demeanor. New hires have direct channel mentality which will cause the company to crash and burn with their agents.

"I worked in a quasi leadership position"

Former Employee - Leadership in New Berlin, NY
    Former Employee - Leadership in New Berlin, NY

I worked at Preferred Mutual full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Smart staff handling work in u/w and claims
     Salary is competitive for area
     Employees are very loyal ( captive audience in the sticks?)
     CEO is brilliant book smart.

Cons

Sr. Management is in many cases very intolerant of minority employees and while they will not say anything to their face, behind closed doors the intolerance in very apparent it can be racial, appearance, disability etc.
    Employees with many years of experience and many certifications are held back because they lack a college degree.
    Back stabbing is routine within the management ranks from the top down.
    Once the CEO Mr. Taft has decided he has used you for all he can get, you become a non-factor in the management ranks and no longer can contribute effectively.
    Favoritism is rampant.
    The HR Department is basically clueless and is run by a very nasty lady who will come across as your friend initially, but because she marches in lock step with Taft, she too will dump you in a heartbeat.
    Don't challenge Sr. Management, don't prove them wrong, you will be history.

Advice to Management

Wake up and smell the coffee. You are a very successful business despite yourselves and one day it will come to bite you in the butt.