Preferred Mutual Reviews

Updated Dec 24, 2020

3.3
Preferred Mutual President and CEO Christopher Taft (no image)
Christopher Taft
Pros
  • "They provide many developers with the opportunity to work from home(in 4 reviews)

• "When the company has a good financial year it shares that through a gain-share program with it's employees based on your salary(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "It's centrally located in New Berlin, NY, however, it can be tough to drive there in the winter with the hills and slick roads(in 3 reviews)

• "upper management(in 2 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. COVID-19

"Great Company to Work For!"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in New Berlin, NY

I have been working at Preferred Mutual full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work schedule, the culture of the company, the leaders, the family oriented feel of the company, the supportive environment, our CEO who greatly cares for his employees, my direct team in the HR office, the remote options for work. During this COVID-19 crisis our company has handled the situation outstandingly! Our company had kept us informed and updated. Preferred has kept us encouraged during these times, motivated through fun activities, and has shown us a tremendous amount of support. This company has been the best company I have ever worked for!

Cons

Geographically it can be tough to drive to which is a common thing we do hear from our employees. It's centrally located in New Berlin, NY, however, it can be tough to drive there in the winter with the hills and slick roads. Though we do get the flexible schedule and work options which definitely make up for it!

2. "x"

4.0
    Current Employee - Claims Representative Trainee in New Berlin, NY

I have been working at Preferred Mutual full-time

Pros

Overall positive experience, the company treats employees well

Cons

In some ways, company needs to catch up with the times

3. "Culture"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in New Berlin, NY

I have been working at Preferred Mutual full-time

Pros

Great wages for small area

Cons

Unfair treatment between departments, culture is awful.

"Changes for the bad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Berlin, NY

I worked at Preferred Mutual full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits are good. Salary is ok

Cons

Drama filled, pore management, no recourse for bad work ethics or even good work ethic

Continue reading
  5. "Great, local employer"

4.0
    Current Employee - Specialist

I have been working at Preferred Mutual full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flex work schedule, competitive salaries, pension, generous vacation package, collaborative team environment and employee engagement events.

Cons

Geographic location, hierarchical organization, lack of remote opportunity in some business units.

October 31, 2019Mgr, Marketing

Thanks for your feedback! That quote is one of our favorites!

"Not the same place anymore"

Current Employee - Claims in New Berlin, NY

I have been working at Preferred Mutual full-time for less than a year

Pros

Small company. Stable. Flexible. Pension

Cons

Without going into to much detail a recent decision in the claims dept has caused me to lose faith in upper management. The culture in my office has change completely and not in a good way.

September 18, 2019Mgr, Marketing

We couldn't agree more - working in claims isn't easy! We appreciate the people skills, sometimes longer hours, and thick skin needed to work in claims. We're sorry that some recent decisions have caused you to lose faith, but bear with us! Change is tough and there is always an adjustment period.

7. "Very different and strange atmosphere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Berlin, NY

I have been working at Preferred Mutual full-time for more than a year

Pros

None!! Stay away from this small company that makes poor decisions. You think you have support from management but if you speak up, it goes on deaf ears. It actually hurts you in the long run to share your opinion and ideas. Some of the Management staff is young and inexperienced. They have no clue what they are doing.

Cons

Location is in a rural area and far from any major city. People that work here only know this culture and company. They would be eaten up in the real world.

September 16, 2019Mgr, Marketing

We're sorry you feel this way. We employ over 300 people, and admittedly, as it seems here, sometimes the employee-employer fit isn't always a good one. We take pride in the culture at Preferred Mutual and the people that work here are some of the best and brightest in the business. We don't expect everyone to always see eye-to-eye on business decisions, but that's what's great about Preferred Mutual. Opinions and differing viewpoints are always welcome. We're disappointed in ourselves that you feel you don't have support from management, as we aim for the exact opposite. Thanks for your candor; it does help us improve.

8. "Awesome Career Move!"

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Answer in Latham, NY

I have been working at Preferred Mutual full-time for less than a year

Pros

I left higher education looking for something new and inspiring. From employee engagement to knowing your ideas, regardless of title, are heard, investigated and, perhaps, implemented, the CEO makes it very evident that we get what we give. The company has a family first mentality, with flexibility in meeting the demanding ebb and flow of life outside of work.

Cons

Change is slow, but change does happen. This can have a temporary negative impact on many employees stuck in routine. We write policy in 4, very expensive states which has both negative and positive outcomes. However, our policies can be expensive, making it difficult to be competitive with local and even national competition. Technology tends to be slow to come around. We don't have an easy app for smart devices to pay bills, contact us, etc.

August 16, 2019Mgr, Marketing

Thanks for your feedback, and we're happy you made the career move to insurance! We appreciate your candor - it helps us improve as a company. We are working on becoming more agile, while also staying mindful of change and its potential impact.

"A Lesson Learned"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Berlin, NY

I worked at Preferred Mutual full-time for more than a year

Pros

CEO is very personable. Some great folks work there.

Cons

Unprofessional relationships exist inside executive leadership. Unfortunately, being a smaller organization, people feel like there are no other options out there and stay employed with the mind set that "it is what it is" or " I expect the negative feedback I receive so I just roll with it". Constructive criticism towards improvement is always welcome. However, when the criticism becomes adult bullying, a line has been crossed. If a employee has a suggestion for improving a process, it is not considered helpful, it is looked upon as a threat. * Low team morale * Severe micro-managing * Confusing department standardization - If one employee is doing it one way, and deemed correct, another employee might follow the EXACT same process and be deemed not meeting expectations. * Remote work is not available in all departments - having to use a personal day to stay home when the county closes roads due to a snow storm is unacceptable.

August 16, 2019Mgr, Marketing

We're sorry you had this experience, but we do appreciate the feedback. Bullying is unacceptable and PMIC certainly doesn't condone it. We hope you met with HR to express these concerns so they could be swiftly addressed!

"Great Company to Work for!"

Current Employee - Business Services in New Berlin, NY

I have been working at Preferred Mutual full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Preferred is a great company that truly cares for its employees. This mindset starts with the CEO and senior executives and is evident regardless of the employees title. Business Services is a new group in the organization but, this group has so much potential and a great team of people working within it. There are so many opportunities for growth and development both within BSU and the company as a whole.

Cons

The rural location is sometimes overlooked by perspective employees but, don't let that scare you away!

March 29, 2019Mgr, Marketing

Thank you for the positive feedback! It is our employees that make Preferred Mutual the company it is. While we hope appreciation for our team members shines through, it is notes likes these that let us know we're hitting the mark. Thank you!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 51 English Reviews