Prosper.com Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Prosper.com Chief Executive Officer David Kimball
David Kimball

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Lots of positivity and great people to work with (in 12 reviews)

• Working at Prosper affords great benefits and an amazing workspace (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There is absolutely no time off and very little leniency for "worker monkeys (in 5 reviews)

• Very new and experiencing growing pains (in 4 reviews)

1. "Growing company and great to work for."

Pros

Clear vision and I see a killer instinct in every single employee (engineers, managers, HR and as well as management)
    Great benefits
    Good technology stack.
    Love the startup culture
    Work life balance

Cons

I haven’t figured out any yet. I will keep this empty for now. I will update this in future if needed.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Love the passion.

"On the right path"

Current Employee - Senior Verification Agent in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Verification Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Prosper.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Managers are great now that they have cleared out the ones who were making problems
    -Verification has new training procedures and it is making it much easier for the new agents hitting the floor
    -Prosper has been actively promoting from within for as many roles as possible. I myself started with the Application department back when that was separate, moved to Customer Service (the two departments are now merged) and then was promoted into Verification over a year ago.
    -Most of the remaining managers started on the floor as regular agents so they know exactly what you're going through and are willing to help or cut you slack when you need it
    -The bonus structure has been completely done over and it is now a straightforward system. They also have an internal tracker for you so you can see exactly what you have made for the month. You can still lose your bonus if you screw up, BUT they give you a chance to get it back in full the next month if you hit your goals.
    -Managers also treat you like people, they will give you several chances and help to improve your work and performance before they terminate you. Unless you are doing something incredibly stupid/illegal
    -Funding is not really an issue these days sine we have the Consortium providing so much of the loan capital

Cons

-We need more communication between offices and more cross training between Customer Service/Applications and Verification
    -Internal quality control can be very subjective based on who is reviewing your work. On occasion one of the QC agents will misinterpret or even create a rule and then mark you down. You can challenge these decisions to see if you can get them reversed
    -A lot of our customers do not read the terms fully before signing them so you will have a lot of repetitive and stupid questions/requests

Advice to Management

The newer training is going great and looking internally for new ideas to deal with problems is great, keep it up!

3. "Feel the power !!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Prosper.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice environment. People are super friendly and knowledgeable. You will feel the good wave in office atmosphere. Lots of benefits and perks. You will feel energetic everyday when you go to office.

Cons

Nothing till now !! Let this section be empty. There should not be 20 word restriction in Cons section !!

Advice to Management

Keep the good pace. !

4. "Heading in the Right Direction"

I have been working at Prosper.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Super-sharp co-workers, start-up culture w/o the start-up "grind", engaged and highly qualified executive team, great location (2 blocks from BART and Ferry Building), product/engineering culture (not banking or traditional IT), supportive investors, tons of coffee and snack selections, being the first P2P lender in the US has its advantages, humble culture...we learn from our mistakes.

Cons

Growing pains of managing to budgets, cyclical nature of financial markets can be stressful to newcomers.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. We are on the right path!

"Good outweighs bad"

Current Employee - Loan Verification Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Loan Verification Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Prosper.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly people, relaxed work environment, excellent management, free snacks and drinks, a lot of team building, easy job, good culture

Cons

Pay is on the lower end, constant change in policies and processes, very little paid time off, technology is outdated or difficult to use

6. "Technology department a mess"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Prosper.com full-time

Pros

Benefits are good, the ceo seems to care about the place, office is pretty and close to public transit. Company is making money for the first time.

Cons

No career advancement, salaries are on the middle-to-low end. On-Call goes off every single night. Many developers that just want an easy job until retirement or just don't care, some middle managers/directors are very political and hard to work with.

Want to work in a technical stack? They probably have it somewhere. They use Ruby, .Net, Java 1.6, Java 1.8, NodeJs, Angular, Backbone and React. All of them poorly done and mangled together in a frankenstein application. There's no direction, everyone just does what their manager wants and the managers usually don't know what they're doing. No technical leaders in the whole org.

Advice to Management

Clear out the middle managers/directors who tel you everything is ok, but are lying to you.

"Had some downs....it's definitely on the UP now"

Current Employee - Jack of All Trades in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Jack of All Trades in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Prosper.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've only been here for a little more than half a year, but in that short time, I've seen a positive upswing in moral and "vibe". Employees seem to be much more excited and happier than when I first came. The company is doing much better than 2016 (which was a horrible year for Fin-Tech) and it shows.

I believe the company still has the "crazy" start-up vibe but at the same time matured enough to be a functioning profitable business and not some frat house millennial gulag.

Our CEO is a pretty cool dude. He takes time to get to know your name...talk / joke around with you. I honestly believe he takes it personally if you are not happy here AND tries his best to figure out an amicable solution. He’s definitely passionate about the company, its people, culture and future. Under his leadership the company is headed in a good direction.

I have heard a little grumblings about not a lot of upper mobility, but I haven’t seen it firsthand. My feeling in you have to put in your time and prove yourself first before you can expect a reward. You can’t always start at the top.

I am happy with my choice in joining this company.

Cons

As the company is growing in business, there is a lot of work. One can expect to be hired for one thing then be assigned more stuff and more stuff. Don't expect to just be a cog and time card puncher. If that is your expectation...this company is not for you.

Having said that, the work load is manageable most of the time and it's rare to work more than your 8 hours.

Advice to Management

Stay with being selective in the hiring process. I know we have many empty tables, but finding the right person is more important than just filling seats. A bad employee can really bring down the company in more ways than one.

"No long term strategic objectives"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Prosper.com (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office location.
    A lot of fresh staff (cause the seasoned ones left)
    Great place to be corporate counsel (lots of lawsuits to handle and skeletons to bury). Compared to all the current execs, the general counsel has the longest tenure.

Cons

Once you get in, you see the real picture. It's not a unicorn, just an old tired mule with an ice-cream cone pasted to its head!
    Profits before employee happiness meant everything.
    New management faces were brought in and the old team took up positions on the board (talk about lack of corporate governance).

Advice to Management

Give the strategic direction to the company. Please be open and explain the health of the company.

"Good Direction, Great Culture"

I have been working at Prosper.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Impressive benefits
    -Engaging culture
    -Consistent transparency
    -Committed to the Mission
    -Casual environment

Employees are actively invested in the company on a daily basis. From entry level to executive leadership, there is a passion for the success of this business. The buzz of the day-to-day excitement is inspiring, even when facing major challenges.

Cons

-Lots of reactionary decision-making due to the fast-paced environment and a strong hesitation to change, leading to "too many cooks" on some objectives.

-On a similar note, corporate leadership and managerial leadership lack "one voice." As a result, there is some miscommunication or commitment without prior understanding. This is improving, but can still be a problem at times.

Advice to Management

Instead of throwing more free stuff at the employees, try lightening the load or improving processes to remove redundancy. If giving out free items is the only option, improve the quality and make them more unique.

"Assistant Manager"

I worked at Prosper.com full-time

Pros

Great work environment and helpful staff.

Cons

High turnover rate in corporate office caused stability problems at our service center.