ROSS VIDEO Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 13, 2019

4.1
ROSS VIDEO CEO David Ross
David Ross

"Great Company, wonderful culture, terrific products. Customers support is second to none"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager, BDM, Product Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ROSS VIDEO full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I worked for Ross video on and off, full and part time, for almost 15 years. I always felt valued and appreciated in my efforts. Customer support and Ross products are regarded as top notch in the broadcast industry. Fabulous people at all levels of this organization, from the receptiondesk , right up to senior management really make this company stand out. The company has grown successfully for 40+ years thanks... to acquisition and re-investment in itself.

Cons

No real cons worth mentioning. Not everybody that works there is perfect, but eventually the bad apples get found out and shown the door.

ROSS VIDEO2017-12-20

October 3, 2018CEO

Thanks for the positive review. I really appreciate it. David Ross.

2. "Ross Video"

I worked at ROSS VIDEO

Pros

Fun company tow to work for; great people and products; growing steadily.

Cons

Every company has their issues. I think at Ross there are too many personal agendas.

ROSS VIDEO2016-09-30

October 3, 2018CEO

Thanks for the positive review. Much appreciated. On the personal agenda’s, yes, this can be a challenge in a rapidly growing company. There has recently been a big focus on ensuring we further improve our teamwork and I think it’s working. David Ross

"Engineering"

I worked at ROSS VIDEO full-time

Pros

Great and hard working people on the floor, some good middle-management that are really tuned into the customer and market.

Cons

CEO believes he is the next Steve Jobs. Does not really listen to his staff, just wants to hear how great he is doing. Company looks great from the outside, but is rotten on the inside. Senior management is only in place to appease CEO. Typical family business that grew fast, without any real accountability to staff or other stakeholders.

Advice to Management

Company will not become a better workplace under current CEO.

ROSS VIDEO2016-08-10

October 3, 2018CEO

Umm, this is one that it’s been suggested I don’t even respond to but I’m going to give it a try. First, thanks for recognizing that we have a great customer focused team. Steve Jobs...? On the side of staff feedback, we put in a lot of effort at our Quarterly Staff Updates where we not only go over all financials and company initiatives, but we dedicate a half hour to personally answering all anonymously submitted staff questions submitted through Survey Monkey. Many of those have led to many improvements. I like to think that our managers are pretty friendly and engaged as well. My senior management team meets for 5 hours every single week to passionately debate all issues facing the company. If they were there to appease me, I’m pretty sure we could have shorter meetings! :-). Actually though, I think we are anything but a typical family company. 27 consecutive years of record growth averaging a steady 17 percent a year. If we didn’t constantly respond to our growth pressures, our success would have destroyed the company long ago! As a family and employee owned company (all employees can buy stock in our ESOP with a minimum buy in of only $500) we do have an obligation to each other, and for the past 20 years we’ve also been accountable to a formal board of directors. I could be wrong, but 27 record years of growth is pretty rare and wouldn’t be possible without stable management and a fantastic growing team. Thanks for the chance to discuss this! David Ross

"A nice place to work"

I have been working at ROSS VIDEO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent work to life balance. Work ethic shared amongst all employees. Open door policy. Nice people. Nice place.

Cons

Pay is below industry mean.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, but, give out some raises.

ROSS VIDEO2013-07-24

"Good company to work in"

Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at ROSS VIDEO full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice, professional and friendly people.

Cons

Nothing that I am aware of

ROSS VIDEO2019-09-13
  6. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist

I have been working at ROSS VIDEO full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Challenging and engaging work - Great benefits and work-life balance - Cool products - Pays above market - Great environment

Cons

- Some employees resistant to change - No RRSP Match

ROSS VIDEO2019-09-06

"Refreshing ! Hidden Gem."

Current Employee - Anonymous in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at ROSS VIDEO full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly environment. Everyone is passionate about what they are working on, and you can feel the excited energy when you talk to colleagues. Fantastic work-life balance!! Very much a "cool factor" when it comes to the products and customer base. Employees are empowered to make decisions and make an impact.

Cons

Loyalty - a fantastic trait and value, but sometimes clouds the judgment of some managers/leaders and allows toxic employees to stay.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! It's refreshing to see a Sr. Mgt team leading by example.

ROSS VIDEO2019-08-21

August 22, 2019CEO

Thanks for the positive review! On the one point that concerns you, I suspect that this isn’t a big problem at Ross, but more of a few isolated cases we need to improve. Having a positive and friendly culture is really important at Ross. If you can have a chat with your HR partner, perhaps we can find ways to help smooth out the relationship issues you are seeing with one or more of the members of your team. Hope this helps!

8. "Good working environment"

I have been working at ROSS VIDEO full-time

Pros

Fast Growing Company with a large number of really nice and dedicated people

Cons

Growing pains from a small to a mid size company

ROSS VIDEO2019-09-04

September 5, 2019CEO

Thanks for the positive review! One of the things about having a strong positive company culture is that once you start attracting really nice and dedicated people, even more join as time goes on. It's a wonderful thing to watch. On the growing pains, we've been growing at about 17% continually for 28 straight years now. To support this level of growth for so long, you have to have a culture and management that's continually adapting to new needs and new business levels. One of the things we're always watching for is "hot spots" where a team or manager might become overloaded where they may have been fine a year earlier. That indicates that we need to do a local reorg to make it more manageable or add more people. It keeps things fun and interesting!

"Good Place to work with a Great CEO!"

I have been working at ROSS VIDEO full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great CEO! and some very good Management Pay is good Clean environment Plenty of opportunity

Cons

Management- some mangers aren't great with dealing with employees ( no people skills) It's changed a lot since Ross Has been growing year after year (some good and bad)

Advice to Management

Just to focus more on the skills and training of low level Managers. Its severely lacking with some of them.

ROSS VIDEO2019-08-21

August 22, 2019CEO

Thanks for the support and kind words! I agree we could be doing an even better job supporting and training our managers especially due to our rapid growth. This is a priority for our HR team and a program is being rolled out on this. Thanks for caring! David Ross

"Not Bad"

Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at ROSS VIDEO full-time

Pros

* Good work/life balance. * Cool products. * Friendly staff. * Wide variety of product lines to move amongst laterally, if desired.

Cons

* Total compensation is below average. No annual bonuses, benefits can be burned through quickly, no RRSP-matching. * Very little investment in employee training. You'll have a difficult time getting to a conference or having a course paid for unless you are a more senior employee. * No structure to career growth within the company (e.g. engineering tracks) and no formal mentorship process for new employees. *... Politics between management and various teams result in ever-changing roadmaps and no cohesive vision for the company.

Advice to Management

* Listen to individual contributors' feedback on process and workflow improvement, and pay for the tools they need to do a good job. Happy developers equal happy customers (this is in your code of ethics!). * Stop fighting amongst yourselves and come up with a cohesive vision for the company that can be pointed to when making product decisions.

ROSS VIDEO2019-03-22

March 29, 2019CEO

Hi Currently Employed Anonymous Software Developer! Thanks for the positive comments about the work life balance, products and staff. We work very hard on ensuring that Ross is a great place to work. I see that you recognize that there's a large number of product lines making lateral moves possible and I think that's one reason why employee turnover at Ross is less than 2% - there's lots of interesting work here! On the compensation side, I think it's always possible to find a job that pays more. It might not be a great place to work, but they pay you to compensate for that. The reality is that every year we pay for independently created stats on regional salaries and we intentionally pay above average. So, at Ross we actually pay above average and have a great work life balance with diverse technical opportunities. On the employee training, we announced at the Quarterly Staff Updates that we're hiring a training coordinator position to ensure that training is a well managed priority (maybe you missed that session? ) On the engineering tracks, we do have those (based on systems from Nortel and Blackberry) - I suggest you talk to your manager and HR as I think you're not completely up to date with what's happening there. Politics and no cohesive vision - Ouch! In the last QSU there was a question posed (maybe it was you?) asking how we could organize the company so that technology is shared instead of being focused primarily on product lines. I explained to the company then (not for the first time) that our focus should always be on delivering products that our customers want to buy, and sharing of technology as often as possible, but as a secondary priority. We've done it the other way 20 years ago - bad outcome, not going to stray from a customer and product focus ever again. On the lack of cohesive vision for the company, again we went through it in detail company-wide within the last year - maybe you're really new? I can tell you that our customers and our competitors consider us to be laser focused on a strategy that they clearly see. The overall vision is even posted in the entrance of every building - I'm pretty sure you walk by it every day. I also explain our strategy for the press and share those insights with the company in all-staff emails. I just did another one today in fact. That said, if the vision isn't clear to you please email me directly and I'll be happy to spend some time with you one on one to better understand why you don't understand it (in case there's others like you we we can be better) and make sure you're on top of it! Thanks, David Ross

Found 41 reviews