Realtime Utility Engineers Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at Realtime Utility Engineers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

RUE is a great place to work - from my perspective.
    - Personal opportunity to grow in my profession is everywhere and I believe that the leadership supports me achieving my goals.
    - I'm working with some very talented middle managers who seem to understand how things get done at the company.
    - My ideas are heard through discussions with my managers, and the feedback from upper management is getting better in the last few months.
    - There seems to be an understanding that there is room for improvement, and momentum and support is building to do things better
    - Technical leadership and mentorship is available, at times I need to seek it out myself however I have not had any resistance from anyone when I've asked for clarification or more information from either my boss or the technical leaders.
    - I have been supported when I needed to take time off for Family needs - the attitude is clearly that Family is the priority - with hard work a constant.
    - Excellent customer base - I get to work with some of the premier utilities in the US.
    - RUE has a Testing and Commissioning group that regularly gives feedback on our designs based on what they see in the field.

Cons

- I wish my career plan was more defined, maybe someone from the company can help me plan for the future.
    - Everyone is busy, a better defined mentorship program would be helpful.
    - Shift to a PTO system rather than a sick time/vacation time system of time off.

Advice to Management

There have been a lot of changes in management and attitudes over the last several months - keep it going!

2. "Supervisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at Realtime Utility Engineers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Realtime has grown and is growing considerably since becoming a part of Quanta Services in 2007. The large network of Quanta Services provides endless resources and learning opportunities to those in our industry. There are plenty of opportunities for advancement and reward if you are willing to roll up your sleeves and work hard. The variety of clients across the country is also exciting and keeps things new. I felt more a part of a team at Realtime than any other place of employment I have had.

Cons

At times the growing pains can be challenges. However, any engineering firm that is growing deals with these issues. This challenge is also why working here is also rewarding.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people and growing. Customer and employee satisfaction will always be the measurement for success.

"Avoid Realtime. Find Any Alternative."

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Madison, WI

I worked at Realtime Utility Engineers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only reason to work here is a paycheck. That’s it. Don’t expect to find great, good or even satisfactory employment here. As an employer, it does nothing right and is an absolutely poor to miserable place to be.

The only thing I appreciate was the work/resume experience I gained during my time, which was just long enough to learn what I needed to take to my next interview/job.

Cons

Everything.
    -There is no tutelage or mentorship – something critical to new hires in engineering. The sink-or-swim environment here means that those who do not or cannot self-teach struggle, which they are allowed to do for so long until they are terminated or the cyclical lay-off period arrives.
    -Management is poor. Consider everything you’ve read in corporate leadership magazines, books and articles about effective management, positive leadership and motivating people. Realtime does the opposite. Generally speaking from my experience there, Realtime has the worst management with the poorest decision-making and critical thinking skills possible. I mean that literally. The dysfunction of this organization starts with the management.
    -Bait and switch advertising. Smoke and mirrors. Pulling wool over customer’s eyes. Call it what you may, but Realtime gets customers by overpromising, and loses them just as fast by under delivering. It is part delusion, part ignorance, part having unrealistic expectations of their new hires.
    -The tumultuous workload means a sporadic work/life balance. When there is no work, there is nothing to do. These periods offer plenty of time for life while fearing for your job! When there is work, expect long days for consecutive weeks in order to deliver on the promises that management makes.
    -Forget about anything like culture (there is none), positive environment, friendships, pride of work, common interests (there are none except a universal disdain for management), long-term career (unless you’re a “yes man” for management).

Advice to Management

Oh my. There is no advice. It is poor. It was poor. It has always been poor. Management is the common denominator. There have been many rounds of layoffs, cycles of mass exoduses, terminations and job scares (drops in workload). Good and great people leave on their own accord after seeing the writing on the wall. The colossally high turnover should be a sign that nothing good is in your horizon as an employee here.

4. "Not much to say, they had a slow down and I was laid off"

Former Employee - Engineering Tech in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Engineering Tech in Madison, WI

I worked at Realtime Utility Engineers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Close to home, good hours

Cons

Not much work,do not tell employees whats going on

Advice to Management

Dont over hire