Russell Cellular Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeff Russell

Pros
  • Lots of great company structure if follow through all the way down to store managers were really put in place (in 5 reviews)

• move up fast- due to high turnover (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management were rude to certain employees while openly favoring others (in 13 reviews)

• Very low pay nothing competitive about it (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company to work for!"

I have been working at Russell Cellular full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I truly feel that they value their employees. A lot of extra time and money goes into making everyone feel that the company and owners care, despite how hard it is to do that when you become a larger company with over 1,000 employees in 25+ states.

Russell Cellular makes an effort to invest in their employees futures and promotes from within the majority of the time. The upper management team is very personable and genuinely cares about their staff (as with any company, I am sure there are exceptions.)

It's exciting to work for a company that is always growing and changing. If change doesn't energize you, this is not the right place for you!

Cons

Sometimes people are given too many chances to improve. It's an endearing quality to try to make it work, but at some point it's a detriment to other team members to hang on to a leader who isn't working out.
    High turnover can make it difficult for those of us that have been here a long time. Some changes in the pay/commission structure were made in the last two months, so hopefully better employee retention will be a result of these changes.

Advice to Management

Continue to show that you care about employees, even when it seems under-appreciated. Continue to find ways to improve employee retention despite the competitive retail world.

Dec 6, 2016 – HR Specialist

Dear current employee: Thank you for your feedback. We are hoping that the new compensation structure will be better for employees and help retention. With such growth, it is a breath of fresh air ... More

"Not very sensitive to employee issues"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Artesia, NM
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Artesia, NM

I worked at Russell Cellular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being management, I was able to work 8-5. Other employees were great. District manager was great at helping sales by getting on the floor to help sell.

Cons

Being a salaried manager, I usually ended up working open to close. Upper management were rude to certain employees while openly favoring others. Stopped working there when my sister had to have emergency brain surgery due to terminal cancer and was told I left my store understaffed. I will take blame for being over emotional and crying. Was terminated the day my sister had her brain surgery.

Advice to Management

Have more respect for yore employees and they will work hard for you. I gave them all I had and during that time, should've been a little more compassionate. Not just to me but all employees.

May 2, 2017 – HR Specialist

Dear former employee, I am sorry to hear about that. It is alarming to hear that upper management is rude to some employees. Please, if there is ever an issue with management, reach out to your ... More

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Monroe, WI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Monroe, WI

I have been working at Russell Cellular full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great resources and great commission structure! Goals are obtainable if you actually use sales skills and go above and beyond, which you should do anyways.

Cons

Location can be difficult for increasing traffic.

May 2, 2017 – HR Specialist

Dear current employee, Thank you for the kind review. We know in some locations, it can be hard to get those customers in the door, but we appreciate you using your sales skills!

5. "Great way to get into sales."

Current Employee - Wireless Sales Representative in Trenton, TN
    Current Employee - Wireless Sales Representative in Trenton, TN

Pros

Like the title says, it's a great place to break into the sales world. Decent hourly pay plus commission.

Cons

If you work in a rural town, traffic is going to be pretty slow some times.

Mar 21, 2017 – HR Specialist

Dear current employee, Thank you for the response. I am glad you are enjoying your position here at Russell Cellular. It is quite difficult at times to generate traffic in smaller towns.

"Not a career but a stepping stone"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Danville, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Danville, PA

I worked at Russell Cellular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Be able to get wireless experience

Cons

Very low pay nothing competitive about it.
    High turnover means constant changes half of the district managers and higher have never touched the systems because they are all hired externally
    They have benefits but they suck and due to high turnover rate you will never use it

Advice to Management

When you pay your reps a liveable wage they will work harder for you. I was on welfare as a store manager because they expect to pay a store manager 29k/yr or less. People who handle the responsibilities that we do deserve a lot more.

Change around your hiring system to be internal only. This will help people at store levels. Especially DSMs who do not know the systems and openly tell your brand new WSRs. Stop the politics because it promotes the wrong people and suffers at the store level.

Make your managers straight salary and not compete with the reps, we are supposed to help them grow. Not compete next to them because we have personal numbers and store numbers to meet.

Mar 21, 2017 – HR Specialist

Dear former employee, Thank you for your feedback. A good portion of our district managers are internal promotions. However, not all district managers can be promoted into the position. Some ... More

"This place is a joke"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayland, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayland, MI

I worked at Russell Cellular full-time

Pros

The full time hours were good.

Cons

My store didn't have a manager then all of a sudden they hired a guy to be manager, he did not act like a manager. No for warning that the store was being downsized, and I was being let go. They chose to keep a guy that is consistently 1-2 hours late for work, screws up on cash outs etc. over me. They ask too much of you for the little pay you get. I had to work off the clock so many times for cleaning the store extra.

Advice to Management

Get it together, actually act like a manager, and manage the store and employees.

Mar 21, 2017 – HR Specialist

Dear former employee, I am sorry to hear about your experience. The statement of working off the clock is troubling to me. If an issue like this occurs, please reach out to your HR team.

8. "Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Hendersonville, NC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Hendersonville, NC

I have been working at Russell Cellular (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay and ample opportunity for pay raises and promotion.

Cons

Strict scheduling around holidays and weekends.

Mar 15, 2017 – HR Specialist

Dear current employee, Thank you for the review. During the holiday season, everyone is busier, and the schedule is strict. That seems to be the nature of retail. We are so happy that you see ... More

9. "Amazing Company! Russell values their employees just as much as their customers."

Current Employee - Inventory Control Specialist in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Inventory Control Specialist in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Russell Cellular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Have never felt so at home working for a company. After a year of employment, I view this job as a career and an opportunity of a life time. The phrase "If you love your job, you'll never work a day in your life" couldn't be more true with Russell Cellular.

Cons

Sitting here trying to come up with a con is very difficult. If a customer experience isn't a distilled asset that you possess and Integrity is something you lack, then you are simply not cut out for this company.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Dec 6, 2016 – HR Specialist

Dear current employee: Thank you for your kind words. I am glad that the job is going well!

10. "Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Battlefield, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Battlefield, MO

I have been working at Russell Cellular full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company I consider a home away from home. It has such a great atmosphere and culture here. This is truly a company that strives on not only customer experience but EMPLOYEE experience.

Cons

I can't really think of any Con that I would have. This truly is a great company to work for.

Advice to Management

Continue to not only developing yourself but also developing each and everyone on your team. It means a lot knowing you strive to develop your team.

Dec 6, 2016 – HR Specialist

Dear current employee: Customer and employee experience are two facets of business that we strive to lead the industry.

11. "It's not for everyone...."

Former Employee - Wireless Sales Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Wireless Sales Specialist in Tampa, FL

I worked at Russell Cellular full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job with good connections so you can network; you have ability to meet good customers and some of the people you work with are great and really care about what they are doing.

Cons

Constant double talk, lying to customers and lied to by managers and corporate. I have seen so much turnover during my time working at this store and heard from others in other districts about the turnover.

Advice to Management

It appears in the beginning Mr. Russell you were familiar oriented, but now you are money driven; corporate team needs some team building training and customer service one on one - had issues with my paycheck and after 3 weeks it may be finally solved

Dec 6, 2016 – HR Specialist

Dear former employee: Here in the HR office, integrity is an extremely important factor of our job. We do not condone lying to either customers or employees. Please reach out to your HR team if you ... More