SPS Commerce Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
SPS Commerce CEO Archie Black
Archie Black

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is strong - no weekends, no need to even bring home a laptop or open email at night" (in 18 reviews)

• "Quickly growing company allows for ample room to grow" (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains of high growth industry" (in 9 reviews)

• "Long hours just because it's the end of the month or end of the quarter" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Analyst"

I have been working at SPS Commerce full-time

Pros

Great work/life balance. Lots of fun social events. Very flexible with time off if needed. No micro managing - allows you to actually do your job.

Cons

Can require overtime as needed to complete projects. Must pay for parking if you drive.

2. "Frontend at SPS"

I worked at SPS Commerce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting projects;
    Possibility to contribute with new/different techs;
    Nice colleagues and atmosphere;
    Company events and culture;

Cons

Frontend is slow in advancing with new techs and approaches;
    Internal projects and apps have minor priority, some can be frozen or abandoned;
    Career opportunities are difficult.

3. "Software Engineer"

I have been working at SPS Commerce full-time

Pros

great environment and culture. fast paced, great opportunities to grow. one to use new technologies

Cons

unorganized, need to revamp new employee boarding for specific role

"Time marches on"

I worked at SPS Commerce full-time

Pros

SPS Commerce used to be an amazing place to work. Growth was the name of the game. Opportunity for career progression in every department was real. The company had swagger.

Cons

But like any company, SPS Commerce could not avoid the inevitable reality that everything at some point comes to an end.

Revenue growth has been replaced by an emphasis on profitability. This has killed morale and culture.

Revenue growth = Opportunity for employees
    Profitability growth = Doing more with less

Not surprisingly, attrition has skyrocketed at all levels, in all departments, in this new environment.

It’s just reality.

Innovation? Three letters.

EDI.

It’s been around forever. Yawn.

Not much sizzle on that steak if you’re in Sales & Marketing.

Product & Technology is paying down a legacy of technical debt. Not fun or particularly challenging.

Work with customers? Most customers are forced to ‘comply’ with the Retailer. As a result, the customer finds no joy in using the solution that SPS Commerce provides, because it was forced down their throat by the Retailer.

SPS Commerce hitched their business model long ago to the Retail industry. These Retailers have, or continue, to get crushed by Amazon. We all know who will be on the winning side of that battle.

Yes, all good things must come to an end.

Advice to Management

The sands of capitalism falls through the hourglass.

How does a company keep shareholders satisfied in an era of slow growth?

Crank up the profitability dial!

Less workers to pay.

Less investment in the future.

Looks great in a financial spreadsheet model.

Time marches on.

Next.

"No Long Term Vision; Failure to Recognize Key Contributors"

Former Employee - Lead Cloud Engineer
    Former Employee - Lead Cloud Engineer

I worked at SPS Commerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Lots of Lattitude to do what you wish, how you wish
    * Great CoWorkers (though there was a brain drain in progress)
    * Interesting Tech Problems

Cons

Tech Leadership appeared to have no long term vision for success, preferring to follow the advice snake oil directors who came in touting improbable direction, were celebrated in their time, and then left without making any valuable contributions, while engineers with proven vision and leadership contributions were summarily ignored.

Advice to Management

If you think what the tech org is doing makes sense and will succeed in the long term, you have the responsibility of clearly, concisely, and continuously demonstrating the key performance indicators of that success as efforts are ongoing. If you aren't sure success will come, you should re-evaluate the direction you're headed and refine until you can demonstrate to engineers why it would succeed.

"Diversity is not exactly welcomed here"

I worked at SPS Commerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Once upon a time there were some great leaders and execs here

Cons

Sps could not retain them. There is so much politics going on here . If you don't already have friends and family that work there, it might be slightly difficult to adjust especially for POC

Advice to Management

Keep your visionary leaders . The future of the company is built on the strength of it's workforce. Nothing has been done to maintain highly skilled workers. Wake up before it's too late

"Sales"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at SPS Commerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great sales training, fun people.
    Great place to get started with a sales career.

Cons

Turnover has been at an all time high over the past 18 months- management won't address the issue, they will tell you this is normal for sales. It is not normal when you have entire sales teams quitting over the course of 6-9 months. This type of turnover culture is miserable to be a part of. Significantly underpaid compared to market which becomes frustrating because promotions are few and far in between, and only minor increases. I found the level of bureaucracy within the organization and micromanagment to be detrimental to efficiency, there's so many processes in place that nothing actually gets done on time or solved- this often leads to unhappy customers. One size fits all when it comes to customers, SPS would rather extort small businesses then find a sales model that makes sense for all parties involved. Management and executives only have interest in hitting their "quarters of revenue growth" streak, which comes at the expense of being overworked, underpaid and little opportunity for your career.

Advice to Management

Trust that your employees are going to do what is best for the business . Give them the tools to make decisions and don't put a process in place for everything, that intrinsic motivation will lead to happier employees.

Get rid of managers who add no value to the company or are toxic to their teams and culture.

Pay your employees appropriately.

"Know your worth - don’t trust titles"

I worked at SPS Commerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent short term career jump start!⚡️
    Your opportunity to learn is only limited by the amount of time you have to commit. 🦉👩‍🎓
    Overall a great personal growth opportunity 🌱
    Free food somewhere any given day as I usually walked the office for leftovers after lunch or after 5PM🍕🍟🌯🌮
    If you are a bunny, and you like to get teased with a carrot - you could last a lifetime at SPS. 🐰🥕

Cons

My job description was vastly inaccurate in comparison to what I actually did. (See other reviews - common across departments)

Example per my experience:
    Being hired to do entry level work - at a rate slightly below market value. (At a rate that appears fair based on the given title)

I proved my competency, was quickly doing whatever I could handle - often responsibilities far beyond what my role had intended.
    I was working 50-60 hour weeks regularly, and ACTUALLY WORKING the whole time.⏰
    I received a raise, putting me at or slightly above market value for the entry level title I was hired for.
    With enough time, I was promoted to a step up, but again slightly below market value.
    My responsibilities then included everything I did previously and some new responsibilities.
    (You may now be expected to fulfill duties of several roles)
    My entire team begged for more staff for years, but it was never financially approved. 😓

Several people tell you in confidence they cry at work at least once a week.😭

I begged for a title change, it was blown off in a very dismissive manner. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They backfilled my role with two new positions, the title I asked for and the title I had. 🤔

Entire departments have fallen like dominos over the past few years, I’ve been following the drama on LinkedIn, JUICY.💦

“Cost center” teams run extremely lean - so unless you’re developing a product or selling a product, I’d be weary.🙅‍♀️

I am trying to remain as anonymous as possible, but there is so much more I’d like to say.🤐

Advice to Management

Thanks to this chaotic style of management, lack of resources and my eagerness to learn everything I could; I was able to leave SPS to make three times the salary I had when I was there. 💰💰💰
    (Doing the same role - with the appropriate title)
    I couldn’t have done it without you!
    Seriously, no sarcasm - thank you. 🙌🙏

9. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at SPS Commerce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing place to grow your career.

Cons

401K Match can be better.

10. "Billings Analyst"

Former Employee - Billings Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Billings Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at SPS Commerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun company, free beer, laid back culture, and if you're in finance an almost endless amount of food. Exposure to a lot of different areas of the business. You get to make an impact, and if you see room for improvement, you're encouraged to make to changes. Great role for someone just out of college, or a few years out.

Cons

There definitely is a lot of turnover. Compensation seems to a point of concern across different departments. There definitely seems to be a gap between entry level positions and higher level positions. This is more so a function of company still growing.

Advice to Management

Must address turnover. It will be very difficult to grow if you can't retain talent. I believe a mix of compensation and burnout lead to this. However SPS has shown in the past, that it does listen to it's employees. I believe this is a fixable problem.