SPS Commerce Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SPS Commerce CEO Archie Black
Archie Black

Pros
  • Overall a great work life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Quickly growing company allows for ample room to grow (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of growing pains, low compensation and middle management is not great (in 8 reviews)

• Long hours just because it's the end of the month or end of the quarter (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Company to Work for in MN"

Former Employee - Intern in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at SPS Commerce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In just a short time working with the team here, I built relationships that will last a lifetime. This is a growing tech company, but the culture and environment make it feel like home.

Cons

Almost the only con I had working here was that my time was so short, I only had three months before returning to school. I definitely won't forget my time here.

Advice to Management

My manager at SPS was the smartest person I have ever had the pleasure to work with. Deadlines were flexible but I always felt motivated to work hard and show results in the fast paced work environment here.

"I wake up wanting to go to work in the morning"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Little Falls, NJ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Little Falls, NJ

I have been working at SPS Commerce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The environment you work is exceptional. Not only do you have an open concept collaborative floor where your desk resides next to teammates but SPS also has private phone rooms, cabanas and plenty of spaces for collaboration for teamwork. Additional fun perk: you also have a game room, bean bags, and your daily corn holes competition being played during nice weather. The job itself I find exciting. The work load always fluctuates as any succesful companies, you will have your busy weeks and your down time. The managers are always there to help you along the way and your coworkers can and will always lend a helping hand where needed. People work at this company for years and years because they appreciate the work they do and the people they work with and for. Although this company is large you will never find yourself being simply "just a number." You do not have management breathing down your neck and if you ever find yourself overwhelmed, they encourage you to speak up and they'll re juggle work loads. The place respects it's employees 100%.

Cons

I am in the NJ office and although the communication with Minneapolis can sometimes be challenging SPS is always finding ways to improve this. Upper management has been putting together open QA boards and meetings to discuss ideas across the company platform to make any improvements, big or small. If you ever find a "con" SPS encourages you to relay this so they can do whatever they can to improve.

Advice to Management

Keep up what you're doing. your transparency and helpfulness goes a long way. You really want to see your employees succeed and it does not go unnoticed.

"Little Falls - Management needs to wake up"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Falls, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Falls, NJ

I have been working at SPS Commerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is flexible, people are able to flex hours, work from home, as needed. It's a fairly casual work environment with an aesthetically pleasing floor plan. Gaming is also available and permitted during work hours.

Cons

There's constant inter-departmental challenges between teams which makes it nearly impossible to focus on the job at hand. Management does not want to look at the "actual" issues, but more so individuals who are "problematic". Leadership claims to have an open door policy, when if fact it does not. Everything and anything you say is held against you, despite whether it is in fact true. Many employees are frustrated and remain silent as a result fearing retaliation, hence, why glass door is used as a forum. If you should recommend areas of opportunity to management they immediately are put on the defense, as a result, information is shared among-st themselves, nothing remains confidential. The same re-occurring themes have been presented to management by not one, but many individuals, often resulting in a "blaming game" or "one bad apple" spoiled the bunch type outcome. Those who don't choose to follow and play along end up leaving all together to seek out other opportunities. It is much easier to assume individuals are ill equipped for their roles versus trying to look at the core issues, which continue to be perpetuated among st leadership.

Career growth is also a major concern within the organization, as there essentially is none, unless you are willing to re-locate to MINN (HQ). You either fall within the "inner" circle of do-good'rs and comply or simply fall off their radar. There's an unfortunate amount of potential that is not being utilized as a result of this favoritism.

Advice to Management

Need to fully assess your current management staff and understand how their actions or lack there of are impacting individual teams and their performance as a whole. Many of whom are in roles without prior basic management training.

Talk to your people, ALL of them, and not allow managers to represent individuals on their behalf. You are getting false perspectives.

5. "Great company to work at"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at SPS Commerce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome culture, pretty good location downtown

Cons

Workload is high, 401k match is poor

May 4, 2017 – VP Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We agree that our 401K match needs to improve and we are working on that right now. The workload is high because we are growing fast -- so that also contributes to the ... More

"A Terrible Place To Work Period!"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Little Falls, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Little Falls, NJ

I have been working at SPS Commerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The persons who run the Little Falls office are a joke, which is really a pro for me because I can do whatever I want whenever I want.

Cons

Very poor salaries and by poor, I mean downright underpaid for the NY Region. I recently received a call from a recruiter who said I can get you $30k more for doing basically the same job. Now I look at this job as a stepping stone in my career. Most people I speak with say the same thing. Management is non existent as no one here is really capable of leading. I guess this can be viewed by some as a pro. Lol. Name another tech company in Little Falls, NJ......Oh wait, you cannot because there are none because it is a horrific location.

Advice to Management

Bring in industry experts and pay your employees a wage that regionally appropriate.

"Trying to fix things that weren't broken"

Current Employee - Strategic Account Executive in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Strategic Account Executive in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at SPS Commerce full-time

Pros

Culture, good pay, growing company

Cons

New changes to sales department has caused a negative outlook. It takes a long time to understand and perfect what we sell based on the complexity and sheer knowledge required to be successful. New territories were rolled out that prove new management doesn't understand how we sell and why we were successful. They are completely uneven despite that quotas are different. Now reps are pigeon-holed into one segment after spending years learning about retail. Tenured reps now are cold prospecting into accounts that have been worked over, and new reps who don't understand what we sell are vetting out warm opportunities which previously was our bread and butter. Growth is sure to decline if they don't make a change.

Advice to Management

Value your tenured reps; they are your key to success. You are and will continue to lose out on significant revenue if you don't understand that it takes a long time to learn how to be successful and strategically work deals. You've tried to fix everything when not everything was broken. Do not drive reps out the door. Not only is it hurting your revenue now to have new reps as your contact on new leads, but it will certainly hurt later when your knowledgeable reps leave because they were very obviously undervalued. Please listen as the feedback has been loud and clear.

8. "Unlimited growth potential for the innovative sole contributor or motivated leader"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at SPS Commerce full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great corporate atmosphere, genuinely invested leaders, ability to gain new skills quickly through a variety of training opportunities, quick advancement through promotions for hard workers, new leaders in organization are creating better alignment and reiterating corporate vision

Cons

401k is not competitive, lots of growth means frequent changes (some better communicated than others)

Advice to Management

Keep communication genuine, offer mentorship, continue to empower staff & middle managers --- we can get the job done!

May 4, 2017 – VP Human Resources

Thank you for this feedback. We have a lot to be proud of but we are never complacent and are always looking for ways to improve. We agree that the 401k match could be better and hope to announce ... More

"Great tech stack but low pay"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at SPS Commerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They use the cutting edge tools ans software and it looks great on a resume.

Cons

Many employees are hired right out of college. Low pay

Mar 27, 2017 – VP Human Resources

Thank you for your comment. We have great salary data purchased from the best, most-reliable external sources that actually indicate our pay is quite competitive. The vast majority of our employees ... More

"Worse than it should be"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at SPS Commerce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Seems like worldclass training, the people trying to get the job done are great to work with, continued changes to help sales executives focus on selling. It is also very social and I love the HHs and ability to make friends with other driven young professionals. The leadership is impressive in how they know what's going on in retail and where SPS should fit in.

Comp is solid, i got promoted quickly and am making more than I could have imagined in college.

Cons

Sweeping changes in sales were badly rolled out and badly put together. A very large group of my peers are hurting and confused an not sure what theyre going to do. Some salespeople got randomly given the keys to the castle. It's frustrating to sit by the water cooler and hear the same like 6 people talk about huge oppertunities from web or channel leads.

There's gotta be a long term play but it's going cause so many issues over the next year.

Advice to Management

Find unfiltered feedback. You'll find you need to change course and fix some huge future problems in high churn and lots of missed sales.

You have people that cant spell sales or EDI working channel deals with strategic partners with tons of revenue on the line. Some amazing prospectors are calling automotive suppliers bringing uhhhhh retail leadership. Then there are the great territories that are quickly showing themselves. Those reps dont have time to prospect because their territory is too good!!!! God forbid you let your prospecting talent call the accounts the blessed reps dont have time to call!!

If you were shooting for a few of your great reps to leave and a bunch of your newer reps to leave and a bunch of channels to think were incompetent then well done. I am guessing thats not the case. The time to react and have a shot at your revenue projections is now.

11. "Good product company"

Former Employee - Java Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Java Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at SPS Commerce (Less than a year)

Pros

Balance of life
    People is the most valuable assets

Cons

old technologies
    really old stack. Not clear business model

Advice to Management

more new technologies