SPS Commerce Reviews

Updated Apr 29, 2020

3.5
SPS Commerce CEO Archie Black
Archie Black
Pros
  • "Work/life balance was always great as long as your were making your quota(in 20 reviews)

• "small company culture with larger company benefits(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "implementation is unable to meet customer expectations as they are under staffed and working with archaic tools that make them inefficient(in 11 reviews)

• "Growing pains of high growth industry(in 10 reviews)

"Great opportunity for growth"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at SPS Commerce full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

small company culture with larger company benefits massive amount of career expansion opportunity

Cons

Misalignment of company priorities

SPS Commerce2019-07-22
  2. "Good for 1-2 years, move on if not obvious promotion opportunity from there"

Former Employee - Human Resources Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at SPS Commerce full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people, most people there are great to work with. Fun, young culture.

Cons

Good for 1-2 years, move on if not obvious promotion opportunity from there. Successful company, but they underpay compared to market. Good culture, but would prefer they put more money into employee salaries instead of happy hours.

SPS Commerce2020-04-29
  3. "From great to average"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at SPS Commerce full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the early salespeople were phenomenal, but most have left. There was a VP of Sales that invested heavily in training, development, empathy, and leadership but once he was gone there was a definite void that couldn't be filled. During those times it was amazing - everyone had each other's back and celebrated one another. Work/life balance was always great as long as your were making your quota. The president club trips were pretty motivating and exciting (until they chose San Antonio....) I like the office location - the bar on the first floor was always great for happy hour.

Cons

It has turned into somewhat of a churn and burn Oracle-like environment. The positivity, relationships, and leadership left with hiring our CSO. Once the SVP of Sales left, many of the amazing leaders and salespeople left. By that point, there was only bro culture, sexism, and Bethel fraternities and sororities. Once I left and went to other Saas companies, I realize how underpaid we always were! Fighting for every commission dollar to make less than market incomes. I saw they recently rolled out a market-standard maternity leave. I'm not even planning on having children soon but that's so sad for a "forward-thinking" tech company.

SPS Commerce2020-04-17
  4. "Great Place to Start and Grow your Career"

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at SPS Commerce full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Benefits, Flexible Work Environment, Always Changing and Evolving, Upward Mobility, and Quality Coworkers.

Cons

Pay needs to increase, lower compared to other SaaS companies.

SPS Commerce2020-03-23
  5. "Fun growing company to work for"

Current Employee - Agile Program Manager

I have been working at SPS Commerce full-time

Pros

Company culture, flexibility, challenging, always working to do better.

Cons

Quick to make decisions before understanding impact (can be a good thing at times), career growth not always clear

SPS Commerce2020-02-20

"Growing company, with bad growing pains. Stay away from implementation."

2.0
    Former Employee - Implementation in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at SPS Commerce full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Young, energetic culture -Start with 15 days PTO -Stock benefits -Ability to work from home during inclement weather -Company hosts several events where alcohol and food is provided -Free food -Free pop, coffee -Learned a lot quickly -Company promotes internally often -Good job to start at after college, patient with employees new to the business world

Cons

-Understaffed, not typically prepared for turnover -Little work life balance -50-60 hour work weeks with no overtime or incentives (when salaried) -Daily customer escalations - Workload consistently exceeds original expectations set by management -Salary is not competitive, SPS claims to have competitive salaries, and in the EDI space, yes that maybe true, but in the technology space SPS is not competitive -Complex and outdated tools that require lots of manual setup creating room for error (although improvements have been made, changes still needed) -Department silos -Little diversity - Customer Success and Sales org alignment is little to none, causing frustration on both sides - Under-staffing in some departments causes work overflow to other departments, causing workloads on all teams to stretch -Products are not user friendly for clients, SPS tools may be better than their competitors, but SPS products do not meet the expectations that clients see in other online/technology products they use -High attrition/turnover -Hires inexperienced employees, takes years to see change and product evolution -Daily customer escalations -HR promotes lots of great values, but fails to take action when it matters

SPS Commerce2020-02-20
  7. "Great company, with strong leadership and growth model."

I have been working at SPS Commerce full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Colleagues and workspace. Flexibility is good, work is interesting and company works hard to make sure employees are trained well on subject matter

Cons

PTO should be better, starting with 15 days annually, rising to 20 after 3 years service

SPS Commerce2020-01-17

"A company that puts employees first with a refreshing interview process"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at SPS Commerce full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was looking to move out of the Seattle area based on the cost of housing, and targeted the midwest as where I would like to move. My main avenue for looking for non-local jobs was Indeed, and saw an opening for Sr. Engineer at SPS Commerce, a company I'd never heard of. Did some research about the company to see if it was a place I might like. The reviews were mixed, but almost all the negative ones were from the sales/marketing side. Figured I'd see where things went and put in my resume. A few days later I was contacted by a technical recruiter for the initial HR phone screen, and ensure our goals aligned. I was amused that they checked at both the start and end of the call to make sure I knew they were located in Minneapolis, MN. In general, it felt like a friendly conversation more than an interview. Over the call, it was emphasized that SPS care most about cultural fit as the individual technologies can be learned over time. (I found this to be very true through the entire process, and is what impressed me the most and why I am making this post.) The call went well and the technical phone screen was scheduled for the next week. I was contacted the day before the technical interview to confirm the time and give me the name of my interviewer. I personally really liked this bit of info as it enabled me to look them up on linked in and get a better idea of their position and what type of angle they would be asking questions from. The technical interview was as described by the recruiter, higher level concepts and strategies but focusing on personality and how I approach interactions with co-workers. I left the interview with a positive impression again. I was left with a reinforcement of the concept that this company placed a high value on soft skills and would work to train any areas of technical weakness. With the technical interview passed, the recruiter if I would be able to come out for an on-site interview. I had a good impression so far and accepted, and a couple of weeks later they scheduled me to come to Minneapolis. Now, a part that very much impressed me here, I asked if my interview could be on a Friday, and if I could stay until Sunday night so I could travel around the area and find a place for my family if things went well. They agreed and I had my hotel and rental car from Thursday when I came in until my flight out Sunday. Upon arriving at the hotel, there was an issue with the booking. I contacted the recruiter on her provided cell number and she spent close to an hour getting everything fixed from home at 6pm. Her helpfulness and friendliness during this was awesome, and definitely above what I would expect. Everything was resolved well and I had no further issues. The hotel was only 1 block away from the office, and very very nice. I've been through many interviews, and without exception by the end I'm feeling mentally drained. This was not the case for my interview with SPS. As opposed to the normal 1 hour blocks of coding/whiteboarding across 5-6 hours, SPS was predominantly 30 minute interviews focusing on soft skills and team dynamics. It turned out there were 3 different teams I had the potential of joining, and each had a slot to see which team I would get along with the best. There was 1 technical interview, but it was performed differently than others I've experienced. The task was fairly straight-forward, just had to write code to get 4 tests to pass. A couple of points that I really liked, 1) This was done on a computer. Whiteboarding has it's place, but I really enjoyed having the environment already set up and be able to actually run my code and see it error/fix the errors. 2) The goal was to see how I coded in a team, with suggestions being provided on direction changes, or improvements. There was an interesting bug that came up during it that was solved by one of the interviewers, but my response to it being fixed by someone else was what they were looking for. At the end of the day it was immediately clear to me that the company culture was exactly a match for my own personal ideals. There were a lot of great conversations, and the people I met were all people I could envision myself working beside. I felt good at the end of the interview, as opposed to my normal drained. I let my wife know that this was a company where if they offered, I planned on accepting. They offered. I accepted. We moved(u-haul with a broken exhaust for 3 straight days... omfg), and I am happy to say after 6 months my initial impressions of the company have proven to be entirely correct. This is a company I actively enjoy working for and am happy to recommend others work for as well. Thank you to whomever reads this, I hope you're having a wonderful day.

Cons

HQ is in Minneapolis, so if you don't like the cold that could be an issue. Different teams use different tech stacks, so cross training or changing teams is not easy.

SPS Commerce2020-01-10
  9. "Great out of college company"

Current Employee - EDI Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at SPS Commerce full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company straight out of college Opportunity to learn a lot about technology

Cons

Low pay and not competitive at all

SPS Commerce2019-12-02
  10. "Great Employer"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at SPS Commerce full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Room to grow, great flexibility, strong leaders

Cons

Constant change - it's not the right environment for everyone

SPS Commerce2019-11-13