SPS Commerce Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
SPS Commerce CEO Archie Black
Archie Black

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is strong - no weekends, no need to even bring home a laptop or open email at night" (in 20 reviews)

• "Quickly growing company allows for ample room to grow" (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours just because it's the end of the month or end of the quarter" (in 8 reviews)

• "Middle management showed no creativity or imagination" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at SPS Commerce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing place to grow your career.

Cons

401K Match can be better.

2. "Pretty Solid!"

Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at SPS Commerce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance. Relaxed work atmosphere. Lots of team outings and perks. Benefits are solid. All the La Croix you can drink.

Cons

Some teams don't work well with others. Some departments are understaffed. All the La Croix you can drink.

"Awesome opportunity depending on your management staff"

Former Employee - Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at SPS Commerce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company culture is very supportive as a whole. My interactions with teams, individuals, directors, and executives company-wide were very positive. You can always find someone who wants to help you grow and succeed, and SPS has a knack for hiring some very high performing talent. There are plenty of names I wish I could leave in this review (but I won’t, Glassdoor terms of service team...) because they truly made me proud of where I worked and helped my grow my professional career to the next level.

Cons

While the company as a whole is supportive of employees, there can be cliques of people who do not embody SPS’ values. This becomes problematic when those people are in management positions. Tip to any current or prospective employees: be friendly with your managers, even if you don’t agree with their decisions and treatment of you and/or others. If they don’t like you, you’ll have a bleak time at SPS. I had my fair share of special treatment when agreeing and nodding enthusiastically, and also experienced management who disliked me on a professional or even personal level, and they made that very clear in day to day interactions. Despite the bitter taste left in my mouth from a couple of individuals, I am still leaving a positive review because the positives from the many really did outweigh the cons of the few.

Advice to Management

Trust that your employees might have a better grasp of day to day business within the product they were hired to specialize in than you might. Avoid openly playing favorites. Show others the same respect you would ask they show you. I hope my former managers take to heart that they have their own opportunities and challenges to face when working along side—and not ruling over—the teams they have been made responsible for.

"Event Manager"

Former Employee - Event Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Event Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at SPS Commerce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and sales leadership. Great work life balance and good benefits. Would have stayed if there was a better opportunity to grow and move up.

Cons

Don't promote from within and if they do very minimal compensation is given.

SPS Commerce Response

Nov 5, 2018 – VP Human Resources

Thanks for the comment - we do have great people and sales leadership so I'm glad your experience with us was good. We actually do promote from within - a lot! In fact, the event manager position... More

5. "Frontend at SPS"

I worked at SPS Commerce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting projects;
    Possibility to contribute with new/different techs;
    Nice colleagues and atmosphere;
    Company events and culture;

Cons

Frontend is slow in advancing with new techs and approaches;
    Internal projects and apps have minor priority, some can be frozen or abandoned;
    Career opportunities are difficult.

6. "Software Engineer"

I have been working at SPS Commerce full-time

Pros

great environment and culture. fast paced, great opportunities to grow. one to use new technologies

Cons

unorganized, need to revamp new employee boarding for specific role

"Time marches on"

I worked at SPS Commerce full-time

Pros

SPS Commerce used to be an amazing place to work. Growth was the name of the game. Opportunity for career progression in every department was real. The company had swagger.

Cons

But like any company, SPS Commerce could not avoid the inevitable reality that everything at some point comes to an end.

Revenue growth has been replaced by an emphasis on profitability. This has killed morale and culture.

Revenue growth = Opportunity for employees
    Profitability growth = Doing more with less

Not surprisingly, attrition has skyrocketed at all levels, in all departments, in this new environment.

It’s just reality.

Innovation? Three letters.

EDI.

It’s been around forever. Yawn.

Not much sizzle on that steak if you’re in Sales & Marketing.

Product & Technology is paying down a legacy of technical debt. Not fun or particularly challenging.

Work with customers? Most customers are forced to ‘comply’ with the Retailer. As a result, the customer finds no joy in using the solution that SPS Commerce provides, because it was forced down their throat by the Retailer.

SPS Commerce hitched their business model long ago to the Retail industry. These Retailers have, or continue, to get crushed by Amazon. We all know who will be on the winning side of that battle.

Yes, all good things must come to an end.

Advice to Management

The sands of capitalism falls through the hourglass.

How does a company keep shareholders satisfied in an era of slow growth?

Crank up the profitability dial!

Less workers to pay.

Less investment in the future.

Looks great in a financial spreadsheet model.

Time marches on.

Next.

"No Long Term Vision; Failure to Recognize Key Contributors"

Former Employee - Lead Cloud Engineer
    Former Employee - Lead Cloud Engineer

I worked at SPS Commerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Lots of Lattitude to do what you wish, how you wish
    * Great CoWorkers (though there was a brain drain in progress)
    * Interesting Tech Problems

Cons

Tech Leadership appeared to have no long term vision for success, preferring to follow the advice snake oil directors who came in touting improbable direction, were celebrated in their time, and then left without making any valuable contributions, while engineers with proven vision and leadership contributions were summarily ignored.

Advice to Management

If you think what the tech org is doing makes sense and will succeed in the long term, you have the responsibility of clearly, concisely, and continuously demonstrating the key performance indicators of that success as efforts are ongoing. If you aren't sure success will come, you should re-evaluate the direction you're headed and refine until you can demonstrate to engineers why it would succeed.

"Diversity is not exactly welcomed here"

I worked at SPS Commerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Once upon a time there were some great leaders and execs here

Cons

Sps could not retain them. There is so much politics going on here . If you don't already have friends and family that work there, it might be slightly difficult to adjust especially for POC

Advice to Management

Keep your visionary leaders . The future of the company is built on the strength of it's workforce. Nothing has been done to maintain highly skilled workers. Wake up before it's too late

"Sales"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at SPS Commerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great sales training, fun people.
    Great place to get started with a sales career.

Cons

Turnover has been at an all time high over the past 18 months- management won't address the issue, they will tell you this is normal for sales. It is not normal when you have entire sales teams quitting over the course of 6-9 months. This type of turnover culture is miserable to be a part of. Significantly underpaid compared to market which becomes frustrating because promotions are few and far in between, and only minor increases. I found the level of bureaucracy within the organization and micromanagment to be detrimental to efficiency, there's so many processes in place that nothing actually gets done on time or solved- this often leads to unhappy customers. One size fits all when it comes to customers, SPS would rather extort small businesses then find a sales model that makes sense for all parties involved. Management and executives only have interest in hitting their "quarters of revenue growth" streak, which comes at the expense of being overworked, underpaid and little opportunity for your career.

Advice to Management

Trust that your employees are going to do what is best for the business . Give them the tools to make decisions and don't put a process in place for everything, that intrinsic motivation will lead to happier employees.

Get rid of managers who add no value to the company or are toxic to their teams and culture.

Pay your employees appropriately.