Service Management Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Service Management Group President & CEO Andy Fromm
Andy Fromm

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • SMG provides a fun and collaborative work environment (in 12 reviews)

• Great culture, strong leadership and good benefits (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can get out of whack easily, especially during presentation times (in 8 reviews)

• The learning curve is steep due to the proprietary tools and processes (in 6 reviews)

"Fast-paced, Rewarding Work!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SMG not only focuses on creating a great environment to work in but offers its employees rewarding work. It's not everyday you can say you presented helpful insights to the C-Suite of well known brands.
    Teams within SMG are setup to allow cross communication between crucial pieces of the project. This type of atmosphere creates tight knit comradery. SMG Culture is something to celebrate with catered company meetings, team happy hours and employee/family appreciation events.

Cons

The learning curve is steep due to the proprietary tools and processes. However with a eagerness and willingness to learn it is definitely attainable.

2. "Fun, Collaborative, and Growing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SMG provides a fun and collaborative work environment. They definitely hire some very intelligent employees, which provides no lack of knowledge-sharing and opportunities to learn. It is rewarding to know our solutions provide major impacts to global brands. We get to work with a lot of innovative technology, and latest programming languages. The Leaders truly care about their employees and providing paths for success. The work can be challenging but you are trusted with key responsibilities from day 1 and see the impact your work is making. Stable company, with strong growth projections ahead.

Also, the free snacks, casual-dress code, open environment, and "Bring Your Dog to Work Fridays" are an added perk!

Cons

The environment is fast-paced, and can lead to heavy work loads during critical points. There is steep learning curve at the start, to gain expertise around the our technology and solutions. Without a strong self-motivation and desire to learn, it can be easy to feel intimidated at first. Conversations are centered around data, research, and technology, so a critical-thinking and analytical mindset is key for a successful career at SMG.

Advice to Management

Make sure to provide a clear road-map for new employees on responsibilities, and training to learn technology solutions quickly. Keep a continued focus on training for both new and current employees, to further develop their strengths and career progression. Encourage open communication, we hire very intelligent people - listen to them as we explore innovative ways to continue growth

"Great Culture"

I have been working at Service Management Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SMG has great people working for them, and their company-wide activities are super attractive, especially to a younger population. They have happy hours once a month, dogs can come into work on Fridays, a coffee truck that stops by on Thursdays, etc... Life is good at SMG.

Cons

I can't really think of any..I guess if you don't like dogs Fridays might be a little awkward for you

Advice to Management

Keep the open door policy! Everyone feels welcome and approachable.

4. "Just an okay Place to Work"

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time

Pros

Peeps, old benefits and PTO

Cons

Management, upper management, other department management

5. "Fun and Flexible"

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment is fun and supportive, offering very flexible working conditions!

Cons

The pay is below average for the area for my position.

6. "Good Company- Terrible Management"

I worked at Service Management Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Benefits/ Money
    -Somewhat flexible schedule
    -Summer Hours

Cons

-The managers over teams (Directors) are unfit to manage people. They rule by threatening rather than help coach team to improve.
    -There is a TON of traveling. If you are an account manager or above then plan on seeing your clients 2+/year.
    -Morale- I never felt apart of the team. Never encouraged, always threatened.
    -The entire experience gave me work-PTSD.

Advice to Management

If you want employees to stick around longer than a few months, then you need to train those that are managing your teams to teach their teams rather than threaten.

"A Rewarding Challenge"

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time

Pros

I think SMG offers a lot in terms of professional development. You get to work directly with c-level people at big well known brands and have a real influence on how they do business. I’ve been here for several years and have definitely gained some valuable experience for my resume.

SMG definitely has flaws, but they’re also the most transparent company I’ve ever worked for. And that’s pretty hard to come by.

I’d say if you’re a hard-worker and want valuable experience that will help your resume, SMG is a good spot for you. If you’re looking to skate by and just want to find something to fill your 8-5 time slot…it’s probably not the right fit.

Cons

I would say the good outweighs the bad. Sure there are times when you work more than 40 hours, but that’s expected at any client services job. And if you’re organized and efficient, it’s not hard to stay ahead of workload ebbs and flows.

Advice to Management

Stay on course and keep listening to your pool of smart talent.

8. "Decent Job"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Service Management Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Fun projects (you get to play with so many different types of technologies)

Cons

Low pay (compared to other technology shops in Kansas City). make sure to negotiate as good a rate as possible upfront.

Getting a promotion is next to impossible. They don't have a set process or steps you can take to get promoted. You hear one thing from your manager then after 6 months, you get moved to a different team with a different manager who has different criteria. And then even when you meet the criteria, it's a whole long story about the budget and that maybe next year -- by then you will be moved to yet another team and have to start the process over.

9. "Watch Out!"

I worked at Service Management Group full-time

Pros

If you are young and energetic. You'll fit it in.

Cons

If you over 40 watch out.

Advice to Management

Get rid of bad managers

"If you want work-life balance, look somewhere else"

Former Employee - Operations Team Member in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Operations Team Member in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Service Management Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work culture is great; free snacks; laid back environment; genuinely nice people; very health conscious

Cons

The turn-over rates speak for themselves. There is a tremendous amount of work and not enough staff to support the work. "Summer hours" are advertised, however, you are pressured to not take advantage of this benefit because of the work load. Work from home is also promised, but there is no follow through as working from home is looked down upon. Bottom line, work-life balance is terrible.
    New employees are expected to pay for parking, and you end up walking about a half mile from your parking spot.

Advice to Management

Hire more staff to support the work load and allow staff to work from home. Compensate staff for heavy amounts of "after hours" work that is expected, or hire a second shift to take care of the enormous amount of "after hours" work.