Service Management Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Service Management Group President & CEO Andy Fromm
Andy Fromm

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "SMG provides a fun and collaborative work environment" (in 12 reviews)

• "SMG has great people working for them, and their company-wide activities are super attractive, especially to a younger population" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "A lot is expected of you and work life balance can be difficult to manage" (in 9 reviews)

• "There is also a very steep learning curve for new employees because most of the technology we use is internal" (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work, if you're ready to put in the work"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture and environment at SMG is great! I love the people I work with and it’s clear that having a fun culture is a priority for management. There are always events and happy hours on the calendar, in addition to events that each team schedules. The relationships I’ve built here have been extremely valuable. The work we do for our clients is interesting and we get to work with some of the biggest brands in the restaurant and retail industry. There are also additional benefits like working from home, dog-friendly Friday’s, holiday/summer/birthday time off and more.

Cons

The work can be very demanding. A lot is expected of you and work life balance can be difficult to manage. There is also a very steep learning curve for new employees because most of the technology we use is internal. The culture in the company as a whole is amazing, but a lot of your experience can be affected by your direct manager. Some managers are a bit stricter about things like flexible work schedule options.

Advice to Management

Continue being as transparent as possible with employees and please continue efforts to improve training and internal processes. Keep investing in our technology as we continue to grow and gain big clients with large requests. Additionally, the best part about SMG is our small-company culture paired with the stability of a big company. Please keep preserving the best parts of our culture, even as we continue to grow.

2. "Best Company in KC"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Service Management Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great pay, good work / life balance, and an awesome Kansas City company!

Cons

Interns are a little left out from time to time just because of the age gap, but they work their hardest to include all!

Oct 2, 2018 – Chief Strategic Officer

Thank you for your review! We love our interns and we're glad you enjoyed your experience with SMG. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, and ensure they feel... More

3. "Flexibility is Key"

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time

Pros

SMG strives to hire and retain top talent. The people and team atmosphere are what make SMG such a great place to work. It's great to work with people that will challenge you to be better professionally, while building strong relationships outside of the day to day.

SMG has a variety of roles. Whether you're interested in client interaction, presenting, programming, management or documentation - there is plenty of opportunity to grow or things to spark your interest! SMG has created a culture of giving back so there are cadre's dedicated to volunteering or hosting events for different charities.

Cons

The technology used in our industry is constantly changing. As a whole, SMG focuses on too many initiatives at once and it leaves team members feeling like they are constantly chasing their tails to keep up.

The fast-paced work is rewarding for some but can be overwhelming for others. The learning curve is steep because the knowledge needed to do each role is very company specific. If you are a self starter, enjoy managing multiple projects at once and can flex to accommodate quick changes - you could see this as a positive!

Advice to Management

Fewer, focused initiatives and better department communication. This will allow team members to focus on high priority goals and drive a better output. When a team is pulled too many ways - we lose sight of the deliverable and quality can be compromised.

4. "Boomerang Employees Flock to SMG"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time

Pros

SMG offers a variety of different career paths and focuses on growing their employees. If you have the skill set and drive you can be very successful here.

At SMG you have the opportunity to work with clients that range from small regional players to large international clients.

It's not uncommon for employees who have left SMG to return and work at SMG again in a similar or even different role.

SMG attracts talented and good people. Lasting friendships are usually made here.

Cons

You must own setting your own work/life boundaries.

5. "It could be worse"

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People here are helpful and generally positive. There is a dynamic tech stack with a lot of opportunities to learn and grow as an engineer. The company makes charities, volunteering, and being ecologically mindful a priority. The location is excellent at the edge of the crossroads district with lots of good places to eat and get coffee within walking distance.

Cons

Many of the decision makers have only worked at this company so there are issues with a lack of experience with what processes work and what processes don't. Avenues for advancement are fairly slow and limited within the engineering career path and it is possible to remain in the same role for many years without clear indication of what is required to advance.

Advice to Management

Leverage input from experienced hires when it comes to process selection. Remain open to input and suggestions when processes are not working as well as they could be. Make sure that everyone knows what their advancement path looks like and what the major criteria are for advancement as well as how long is reasonable to expect to remain in a given role.

6. "Research"

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time

Pros

Service management group has great people and a great culture. Work is challenging and requires creative and critical thinking skills

Cons

Limited opportunities for growth and an inability to identify and retain top performers

Advice to Management

Develop standards to identify top performers

7. "Executive Management"

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time

Pros

Hands down the best place I have ever worked.

Cons

There are no cons that I can see.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Jul 11, 2018 – Chief Strategic Officer

Thank you for sharing your review. We are glad you are enjoying your time at SMG and happy to have you on the team!

"Disappointed"

I worked at Service Management Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Incredibly smart people who always bring their A-game. Casual work environment. Great location.

Cons

Oh where to begin...
    Work-life balance is non-existent. They advertise Work from Home, but it’s frowned upon or used against you at the manager’s discretion.

They care so much about numbers instead of people that it’s created a very cut throat environment. Teams have an “us vs them” mentally. People are thrown under the bus. Managers are disrespectful and play games.

You’ll be given an impossible amount of work with ineffective tools and virtually zero resources. They base workload purely on revenue without considering complexity of the project.

If you’re looking for something long term, this isn’t it. The high turnover rate speaks for itself. I’m really sad to see the direction the company is headed.

Advice to Management

Be transparent, unified, and create a clear vision for the future. Genuinely care about the people who give their all to the company. It’s all about relationships.

Jun 27, 2018 – Chief Client Officer

Thank you for sharing your experience at SMG. We have experienced significant growth in our company and understand we still have areas where we can improve. Open communication is a top priority and... More

9. "Tech Stacks on Tech Stacks on Tech Stacks"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will never stop learning while working on the software in this company. They embrace the concept that a programming language is a tool and they seek to use the right tool for the job. It isn't uncommon to see a .Net application talking to a Java application or calling a API end point to execute a Scala spark job. They have the same mindset when it comes to database technologies. All to often a single application will call one or more different databases technologies to accomplish a task in the more performant and accurate way possible. It might be MongoDB, MSSql, Teradata, Hive, Postgresql, or even MySql. Each of them are good at what they do, and SMG flexes them for their strengths. It is a highly complex and challenging environment, but highly rewarding as a result. Engineers are expected to be polygots and be able to jump from front to middle to back end stacks based on the project that the team is working on.

Cons

With the number of programming languages and tech stacks that are being used, it can be a daunting experience when rolling onto a new project or joining a new team. You have the time and resources to train yourself and get up to speed, but it can still be a lot to take on. It definitely isn't for someone that wants to work in just one tech stack or just one language, learning something new isn't optional. If you are coming in to the company being as a rock star in one tech, it can be humbling to see junior developers jump from language to language and tech stack to tech stack faster than you can.

Jun 18, 2018 – Chief Technology Officer

We appreciate you sharing your experience at SMG. We agree—it’s pretty cool to work with a wide range of programming languages, and fit the tool to create the best application possible. As we... More

"It is only about the bottom dollar. They have lost interest in the employee."

I worked at Service Management Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are looking for a company to get your career started, it is a good place to get some work experience.

Cons

Senior leadership has opposing views of what the company stands for and how to make clients happy.
    The company has been outpaced by competitors.
    There is a lack of vision when it comes to building products/services that prospects and clients want.
    The benefits are horrible.
    The departments are routinely pitted against each other which creates a lack of cohesiveness at the company.
    If you are looking for a 40 - 45 hour work week look elsewhere.