Service Management Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Service Management Group President & CEO Andy Fromm
Andy Fromm

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "SMG provides a fun and collaborative work environment" (in 12 reviews)

• "Could bring my dog to work a couple times, had a few free lunches on Fridays, some of the people I worked with were great" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance can get out of whack easily, especially during presentation times" (in 8 reviews)

• "The learning curve is steep because the knowledge needed to do each role is very company specific" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Flexibility is Key"

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time

Pros

SMG strives to hire and retain top talent. The people and team atmosphere are what make SMG such a great place to work. It's great to work with people that will challenge you to be better professionally, while building strong relationships outside of the day to day.

SMG has a variety of roles. Whether you're interested in client interaction, presenting, programming, management or documentation - there is plenty of opportunity to grow or things to spark your interest! SMG has created a culture of giving back so there are cadre's dedicated to volunteering or hosting events for different charities.

Cons

The technology used in our industry is constantly changing. As a whole, SMG focuses on too many initiatives at once and it leaves team members feeling like they are constantly chasing their tails to keep up.

The fast-paced work is rewarding for some but can be overwhelming for others. The learning curve is steep because the knowledge needed to do each role is very company specific. If you are a self starter, enjoy managing multiple projects at once and can flex to accommodate quick changes - you could see this as a positive!

Advice to Management

Fewer, focused initiatives and better department communication. This will allow team members to focus on high priority goals and drive a better output. When a team is pulled too many ways - we lose sight of the deliverable and quality can be compromised.

2. "Boomerang Employees Flock to SMG"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time

Pros

SMG offers a variety of different career paths and focuses on growing their employees. If you have the skill set and drive you can be very successful here.

At SMG you have the opportunity to work with clients that range from small regional players to large international clients.

It's not uncommon for employees who have left SMG to return and work at SMG again in a similar or even different role.

SMG attracts talented and good people. Lasting friendships are usually made here.

Cons

You must own setting your own work/life boundaries.

3. "Research"

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time

Pros

Service management group has great people and a great culture. Work is challenging and requires creative and critical thinking skills

Cons

Limited opportunities for growth and an inability to identify and retain top performers

Advice to Management

Develop standards to identify top performers

4. "Executive Management"

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time

Pros

Hands down the best place I have ever worked.

Cons

There are no cons that I can see.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Jul 11, 2018 – Chief Strategic Officer

Thank you for sharing your review. We are glad you are enjoying your time at SMG and happy to have you on the team!

"Disappointed"

I worked at Service Management Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Incredibly smart people who always bring their A-game. Casual work environment. Great location.

Cons

Oh where to begin...
    Work-life balance is non-existent. They advertise Work from Home, but it’s frowned upon or used against you at the manager’s discretion.

They care so much about numbers instead of people that it’s created a very cut throat environment. Teams have an “us vs them” mentally. People are thrown under the bus. Managers are disrespectful and play games.

You’ll be given an impossible amount of work with ineffective tools and virtually zero resources. They base workload purely on revenue without considering complexity of the project.

If you’re looking for something long term, this isn’t it. The high turnover rate speaks for itself. I’m really sad to see the direction the company is headed.

Advice to Management

Be transparent, unified, and create a clear vision for the future. Genuinely care about the people who give their all to the company. It’s all about relationships.

Jun 27, 2018 – Chief Client Officer

Thank you for sharing your experience at SMG. We have experienced significant growth in our company and understand we still have areas where we can improve. Open communication is a top priority and... More

6. "Tech Stacks on Tech Stacks on Tech Stacks"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will never stop learning while working on the software in this company. They embrace the concept that a programming language is a tool and they seek to use the right tool for the job. It isn't uncommon to see a .Net application talking to a Java application or calling a API end point to execute a Scala spark job. They have the same mindset when it comes to database technologies. All to often a single application will call one or more different databases technologies to accomplish a task in the more performant and accurate way possible. It might be MongoDB, MSSql, Teradata, Hive, Postgresql, or even MySql. Each of them are good at what they do, and SMG flexes them for their strengths. It is a highly complex and challenging environment, but highly rewarding as a result. Engineers are expected to be polygots and be able to jump from front to middle to back end stacks based on the project that the team is working on.

Cons

With the number of programming languages and tech stacks that are being used, it can be a daunting experience when rolling onto a new project or joining a new team. You have the time and resources to train yourself and get up to speed, but it can still be a lot to take on. It definitely isn't for someone that wants to work in just one tech stack or just one language, learning something new isn't optional. If you are coming in to the company being as a rock star in one tech, it can be humbling to see junior developers jump from language to language and tech stack to tech stack faster than you can.

Jun 18, 2018 – Chief Technology Officer

We appreciate you sharing your experience at SMG. We agree—it’s pretty cool to work with a wide range of programming languages, and fit the tool to create the best application possible. As we... More

"It is only about the bottom dollar. They have lost interest in the employee."

I worked at Service Management Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are looking for a company to get your career started, it is a good place to get some work experience.

Cons

Senior leadership has opposing views of what the company stands for and how to make clients happy.
    The company has been outpaced by competitors.
    There is a lack of vision when it comes to building products/services that prospects and clients want.
    The benefits are horrible.
    The departments are routinely pitted against each other which creates a lack of cohesiveness at the company.
    If you are looking for a 40 - 45 hour work week look elsewhere.

"Not Getting Better"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Service Management Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting work to help businesses to understand and improve the customer experience.

Cons

Way behind compared to the competition. The product is not up to par with other options out there and there is no flexibility within SMG to change.

Advice to Management

Move faster to market with new product offerings. You are behind the competition and nothing is getting better. Be flexible in what you are offering clients and prospects, don’t say NO so fast, adapt to the environment around you to gain new customers.

Jun 27, 2018 – Chief Technology Officer

We appreciate you sharing your feedback on SMG. As we continue to grow and evolve, we are continuously evaluating how we can advance our products and capabilities to best serve our clients. One... More

"Out of touch - out of time"

I worked at Service Management Group full-time

Pros

Interesting work - it's fun to present information and ideas to Executives from major companies

Fun Employees - There are some really smart, great people that work here

Cons

Hours - they will tell you to expect to work 40 - 45 hours a week.

Summer Hours - sounds like a great perk - if you work 40 hours by noon on Friday you can take the afternoon off. Expectations were set that while this is an advertised thing - you will really probably get to utilize once or twice a Summer (even though you were already at 40 hours)

Seating - you are stacked right next to your co-workers. They outgrew their space 2 years ago yet refuse to move to a larger space. Your desk will probably be the size of a phone booth.

Outdated technology - take a survey from SMG and then from a competitor - you will see what I mean.

Middle management - this job has a pretty strong learning curve, so they tend to promote Directors from with in. That is great except that these people have no management experience prior to becoming a manager. That leads to untrained managers working in high stress situations.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at the competition. They are quickly moving beyond your capabilities

Treat your employees like humans. People work really hard for this company and there is little to no appreciation or respect. You act like a family company and that family is important but I worked over Christmas one year didn't get even get a thank you.

Quit doing things the old way - it's not working.

Jul 11, 2018 – Chief Client Officer

Thank you for sharing your review. We agree with you that a strong leadership team is critical to our success and retention of our employees. Leadership development has been a focus area for SMG... More

"Fast-paced, Rewarding Work!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SMG not only focuses on creating a great environment to work in but offers its employees rewarding work. It's not everyday you can say you presented helpful insights to the C-Suite of well known brands.
    Teams within SMG are setup to allow cross communication between crucial pieces of the project. This type of atmosphere creates tight knit comradery. SMG Culture is something to celebrate with catered company meetings, team happy hours and employee/family appreciation events.

Cons

The learning curve is steep due to the proprietary tools and processes. However with a eagerness and willingness to learn it is definitely attainable.

Jun 21, 2018 – Chief Strategic Officer

Thank you for sharing your experience at SMG. We agree, it's great to work with some of the biggest and best brands in the world. As we continue to grow and evolve, we are continuously advancing our... More