Service Management Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Service Management Group President & CEO Andy Fromm
Andy Fromm

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "SMG provides a fun and collaborative work environment" (in 12 reviews)

• "SMG has great people working for them, and their company-wide activities are super attractive, especially to a younger population" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "A lot is expected of you and work life balance can be difficult to manage" (in 9 reviews)

• "There is also a very steep learning curve for new employees because most of the technology we use is internal" (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work, if you're ready to put in the work"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture and environment at SMG is great! I love the people I work with and it’s clear that having a fun culture is a priority for management. There are always events and happy hours on the calendar, in addition to events that each team schedules. The relationships I’ve built here have been extremely valuable. The work we do for our clients is interesting and we get to work with some of the biggest brands in the restaurant and retail industry. There are also additional benefits like working from home, dog-friendly Friday’s, holiday/summer/birthday time off and more.

Cons

The work can be very demanding. A lot is expected of you and work life balance can be difficult to manage. There is also a very steep learning curve for new employees because most of the technology we use is internal. The culture in the company as a whole is amazing, but a lot of your experience can be affected by your direct manager. Some managers are a bit stricter about things like flexible work schedule options.

Advice to Management

Continue being as transparent as possible with employees and please continue efforts to improve training and internal processes. Keep investing in our technology as we continue to grow and gain big clients with large requests. Additionally, the best part about SMG is our small-company culture paired with the stability of a big company. Please keep preserving the best parts of our culture, even as we continue to grow.

2. "Flexible with Unique Perks"

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Developer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Solutions Developer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One of my favorite parts of working as SMG is the flexibility and unique perks that they offer. The ability to work from home in certain situations allows you save your PTO. After being here for 5 years, I am now up to 23 days of PTO. There are also other priveledged holidays that don't use your PTO and Summer Hours if you hit 40 hours by noon on Friday. They definitely care about their employees and are getting better at taking care of their current employees financially. There's also a snack closet and plenty of meetings with food provided.

Cons

I would normally say pay here but they are turning a corner on this. As far as working in the Technology department, there are almost too many tech stacks but they are always looking at better ways to improve our processes.

Advice to Management

Hire a new Director for the Client Core team.

"The perks aren't worth it"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time

Pros

Good first job out of college. You'll learn the basics, but if you stay too long it might actually hinder your career.
    Casual dress is nice.

Cons

SMG: A place where you can work hard and make great contributions, but the credit goes to your boss, just because s/he has a better internal title, not because s/he actually did the work.
    Promotions are not always based on performance. I’ve seen too many high-performing colleagues sit at their current position too long because their particular team doesn’t have an opening for an Account Manager/Senior AM, or Director, while less-tenured folks quickly climb the ladder because their team has an opening, or they rub elbows with the right people.
    Recognition and promotions are often given to those who boast the loudest.
    When asked how to get promoted you are asked if the CEO knows your name. You are also asked to achieve a list of goals. When you meet that criteria, you are then given a new list of goals to achieve before a promotion can be given. The goal post is always moving because they do not want to reward high performers.
    Promotions in Research are based more on tenure than on performance. The Research department does not get annual raises like the rest of the company. Research is treated like “the help.”

We band-aid too many problems instead of commit the time to solve problems. It is scary how many errors are just under the clients’ noses, but they just haven’t figured it out yet.

Advice to Management

Figure out if you want to be an Insights company or a technology company. Treat people with respect.
    Invest the time and resources into making our products high quality.

4. "Best Company in KC"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Service Management Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great pay, good work / life balance, and an awesome Kansas City company!

Cons

Interns are a little left out from time to time just because of the age gap, but they work their hardest to include all!

Oct 2, 2018 – Chief Strategic Officer

Thank you for your review! We love our interns and we're glad you enjoyed your experience with SMG. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, and ensure they feel... More

5. "Flexibility is Key"

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time

Pros

SMG strives to hire and retain top talent. The people and team atmosphere are what make SMG such a great place to work. It's great to work with people that will challenge you to be better professionally, while building strong relationships outside of the day to day.

SMG has a variety of roles. Whether you're interested in client interaction, presenting, programming, management or documentation - there is plenty of opportunity to grow or things to spark your interest! SMG has created a culture of giving back so there are cadre's dedicated to volunteering or hosting events for different charities.

Cons

The technology used in our industry is constantly changing. As a whole, SMG focuses on too many initiatives at once and it leaves team members feeling like they are constantly chasing their tails to keep up.

The fast-paced work is rewarding for some but can be overwhelming for others. The learning curve is steep because the knowledge needed to do each role is very company specific. If you are a self starter, enjoy managing multiple projects at once and can flex to accommodate quick changes - you could see this as a positive!

Advice to Management

Fewer, focused initiatives and better department communication. This will allow team members to focus on high priority goals and drive a better output. When a team is pulled too many ways - we lose sight of the deliverable and quality can be compromised.

6. "Boomerang Employees Flock to SMG"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time

Pros

SMG offers a variety of different career paths and focuses on growing their employees. If you have the skill set and drive you can be very successful here.

At SMG you have the opportunity to work with clients that range from small regional players to large international clients.

It's not uncommon for employees who have left SMG to return and work at SMG again in a similar or even different role.

SMG attracts talented and good people. Lasting friendships are usually made here.

Cons

You must own setting your own work/life boundaries.

7. "It could be worse"

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People here are helpful and generally positive. There is a dynamic tech stack with a lot of opportunities to learn and grow as an engineer. The company makes charities, volunteering, and being ecologically mindful a priority. The location is excellent at the edge of the crossroads district with lots of good places to eat and get coffee within walking distance.

Cons

Many of the decision makers have only worked at this company so there are issues with a lack of experience with what processes work and what processes don't. Avenues for advancement are fairly slow and limited within the engineering career path and it is possible to remain in the same role for many years without clear indication of what is required to advance.

Advice to Management

Leverage input from experienced hires when it comes to process selection. Remain open to input and suggestions when processes are not working as well as they could be. Make sure that everyone knows what their advancement path looks like and what the major criteria are for advancement as well as how long is reasonable to expect to remain in a given role.

8. "Research"

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time

Pros

Service management group has great people and a great culture. Work is challenging and requires creative and critical thinking skills

Cons

Limited opportunities for growth and an inability to identify and retain top performers

Advice to Management

Develop standards to identify top performers

9. "Executive Management"

I have been working at Service Management Group full-time

Pros

Hands down the best place I have ever worked.

Cons

There are no cons that I can see.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Jul 11, 2018 – Chief Strategic Officer

Thank you for sharing your review. We are glad you are enjoying your time at SMG and happy to have you on the team!

"Disappointed"

I worked at Service Management Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Incredibly smart people who always bring their A-game. Casual work environment. Great location.

Cons

Oh where to begin...
    Work-life balance is non-existent. They advertise Work from Home, but it’s frowned upon or used against you at the manager’s discretion.

They care so much about numbers instead of people that it’s created a very cut throat environment. Teams have an “us vs them” mentally. People are thrown under the bus. Managers are disrespectful and play games.

You’ll be given an impossible amount of work with ineffective tools and virtually zero resources. They base workload purely on revenue without considering complexity of the project.

If you’re looking for something long term, this isn’t it. The high turnover rate speaks for itself. I’m really sad to see the direction the company is headed.

Advice to Management

Be transparent, unified, and create a clear vision for the future. Genuinely care about the people who give their all to the company. It’s all about relationships.

Jun 27, 2018 – Chief Client Officer

Thank you for sharing your experience at SMG. We have experienced significant growth in our company and understand we still have areas where we can improve. Open communication is a top priority and... More