SevOne Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SevOne CEO Jack Sweeney
Jack Sweeney

Pros
  • It is still a great place to work (in 14 reviews)

• I could not be happier with my decision to join the SevOne family and become a part of the culture of awesome (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Is currently going through growing pains (in 14 reviews)

• That has to tell you something about the "culture of awesome" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"When in doubt, tell the truth."

Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA

I have been working at SevOne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It’s no secret this company has seen some ups and downs, but throughout it all I have been constantly impressed by the passion, drive, intelligence, ingenuity, and grace of my peers.

SevOne is a place where I have been allowed to make a difference. It’s a place where hard work is recognized and rewarded. It’s a place where I have grown as a leader, and a place where I have learned from my team. The technology we sell helps companies get the job done – and what we have accomplished makes me proud.

We have made the tough decisions, we have worked a little harder to get on track, we’ve tried new things and I am personally encouraged by what we have accomplished. Our technology is stronger then ever, our teams are executing as one, and our customers are getting increasing value from what we do.

When I stop feeling this way, when this is no longer my truth, I’ll take my leave and look back fondly. Until then I’m truly proud to be a part of SevOne

Cons

After a time of transition, lagging indicators are everywhere. Today more than ever, there is so much opportunity here at SevOne and yet we’ve asked a lot of ourselves to get to where we are. Pivoting as we have has been difficult for some, and understandably so: people are different and some shine when times are good, others thrive when "up" might seem out of reach.

Advice to Management

We have made amazing progress and yet no company is ever at the finish line – it’s always just out of reach and that’s the point! Let’s see this through and let’s be that team of one I believe we are. Continue communicating, continue working hard, continue rewarding leadership at every level, and continue empowering us to contribute new ideas. I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t believe in you, if I didn’t believe in my team – and I wouldn’t be trying to bring the best and brightest on board to help me improve what it is that I think I can do to make this a better place for myself, for my peers, and for our customers.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chest Springs, PA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chest Springs, PA

I worked at SevOne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing work culture. Great leadership from our inside Sales Director. Great training. Great sales tools

Cons

Bain Capital ruined the culture, tried to grow too fast, and laid off 60% of the workforce.

Advice to Management

Don't say you are expecting to expand your employee workforce by 50% then lay off 60% of the company

"All of Bain’s cronies and all of their friends couldn’t get SevOne to profit again"

Former Employee - Senior DevOps Developer in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Senior DevOps Developer in Newark, DE

I worked at SevOne full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

• The Newark facility is shiny and new.
    • You can get paid a lot for doing very little (obviously don’t say that, just be sure to use healthy dose of buzzwords with a side of name-dropping).
    • You don’t have to worry about accountability because you can always blame another team (just be sure never criticize the Boston overlords; they’re off-limits).

Cons

• The company is generally run by inertia; it does things because it has always done those things and everyone who knew why has quit by now.
    • You will be subject to the whims of the Bain cronies, who generally know nothing about the company’s products or the customer needs, but who are nevertheless in charge of all of it.
    • Management hires come from management friends, so don’t expect to be promoted if you don’t live in Boston or haven’t worked with members of the management team at a previous job.
    • R&D management rotates every year or so, so you’ll have to re-politic all over again if you want to keep your spot.
    • The CEO is emotional and leads by fear, so you’ll have to keep your head down if you’re not among the chosen ones.
    • You’ll have to hear the same “change is coming” speech every six months or so as morale gets low and management goes through the motions.
    • There is no company vision other than “get bought to generate a profit for Bain”, although they’ll dress it up a bit using buzzwords like “market leader” and “IoT” and such.
    • If, for some foolish reason, you actually try to make the company succeed, then you will have to deal with a management team who will view you as a threat. If you haven’t maxed your politics skills, then prepare to be burned.
    • Every management interaction will need to be a compliment sandwich served with a compliment salad, ordered off the compliment menu, with a cool glass of compliment soda, otherwise you’ll be viewed as negative and part of the problem.

Advice to Management

You have two options:
    1. You stop lying and simply start telling the truth. Tell everyone about how all you wanted to do was go for a quick sale and didn’t have a plan for when that didn’t happen after two years. Tell everyone that you have no idea what to do and that you have no idea what the future of the main product line is. Then stop strutting around like you’re the smartest group of businessmen who ever existed and listen to what your employees are telling you. No, not your friends in Boston. Listen to the real employees who were hired on their merits, not their connections. Listen, accept it, and change.
    2. Get rid of every Bain crony. At this point, that’s every C-level position (including the CEO), just about every VP, and probably most of their hires. Put people in charge and make them accountable. No, I mean real accountability. Allow people to make mistakes, but make sure that you learn from them and improve and adapt. Have clear and realistic goals, and remove those people who cannot achieve them or are toxic to the effort.

Either way, you have an extremely negative employee base (and most of them will never tell you that because they value their jobs and they’ve seen what you’ve done to those who have publicly disagreed with you). You need to do something to turn things around, and that something needs to be public, transparent, and sincere. You’re bleeding talent faster than you realize it, and you need to act. Now.

SevOne Response

May 12, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. The SevOne leadership team reads every review that is posted on Glassdoor. It's disappointing to hear that an employee has had a bad experience ... More

"Moving on and UP"

Current Employee - Engineer in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Engineer in Newark, DE

I have been working at SevOne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture: Unlimited PTO, flexible hours, and people who all generally want the company to succeed. Pay day lunches.

Platform: One of the only products in the market now which can collect data at the rate it does and also integrate with a variety of other platforms.

Management: Management truly does want you to do well and will look for opportunities for you to grow.

Cons

Due to layoffs which occurred last year, there is a negative air laying around (which also attributes to quite a few negative responses on here). SevOne is working to fix it but it'll take time.

Advice to Management

Continue to plan monthly initiatives, Continue the FLT Teams, and Red,
    these are great things.

Make sure to keep innovating with the platform

"Run PE! Run VC This Unicorn Cant Fly"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Newark, DE

I have been working at SevOne full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New office in DE
    Coffee machine
    Some good persons

Cons

CEO is checked out. Cape Cod Bogs
    CMO available via yacht
    CRO available via bar
    Executive Chairman collects salary
    CFO is so unhappy - culture agent for whom?
    CRO does all deals from the bar
    CMO and CRO at war
    CMO and his Tonto know nothing - wrong brother left
    Email being spied upon
    India is the new savior for product? Don't think so
    Two CFO's
    Money is low
    Company being offloaded
    Evil politics
    Sarcasm and craziness
    Products no longer work

Advice to Management

Pray with CFO that Google or MS buys - if not it is over
    It has been 3 years with Bain at the helm - still no strategy. These are the smart guys?
    Get Pune up quickly = we are leaving.

SevOne Response

May 22, 2017 – Corporate Communications

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Change is hard. Over the past year, SevOne has made a significant turn to the positive. Unfortunately, change isn’t for everyone ... More

"SevOne's cut artery - can we be saved?"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Newark, DE

I have been working at SevOne full-time

Pros

It's fast, intense, and rewarding work

Cons

I wish there was room for career advancement. There isn't. Is seems like every time we need someone in a leadership position we hire from the outside. There used to be a culture of awesomeness. Now there's a culture of fear. People are afraid to speak their minds about the horrible stuff that's happening short of a guarantee of anonymity. We were top-heavy before the two rounds of mass layoffs. Now we're extremely top-heavy and no in a position to do anything about it cares. They're all stuck in their ivory tower in Boston, and don't have a clue what happens in the heart of the company in Newark. They visit every once in a while, but it reminds me more the president just going by in a bullet proof car -- people can view them go by, but they're still in a protective little bubble isolated from the rest of the world -- and the town hall meetings, ha - that's a laugh. Management keeps talking about money, money, money -- how about we have to be "cash flow neutral." Between the multiple rounds of mass layoffs, the talk about how we "don't have money" for things, you start seeing people leave more, the more people leave the faster other people start leaving. I've been told that I'm "stupid" for staying at SevOne, but I'm here until the ride has come to a complete stop -- whatever that means.

Advice to Management

The quantity and speed at which people are leaving makes me feel like SevOne has a cut artery. Fast and immediate action is required. The hemorrhaging of talent needs to stop immediately and at all costs or we're gonna be left with a bunch of newbies that don't know anything and plunge SevOne further into darkness.

"Turning Around"

Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at SevOne (Less than a year)

Pros

Cares about their people, and the sheer attempt to not give up, pivot in a new direction and trying to right the ship says a lot.

Cons

Grew way too fast, spent too much money.

Advice to Management

Go back to what the company was founded out and look to the future.

"The Rocket ship has blown up"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE

I worked at SevOne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Decent product
    - Great logo's
    - Awesome Engineering / Dev teams

Cons

This company has lost its magic. They doubled in size from late-2014 to early-2015 and everybody was energized and ready to "ride the rocket". Last year I would have recommended this Company to anyone - it appears it was a blessing that I was laid off now. I expect we'll see more layoffs as time goes on. What happened to Culture of AWESOME? Oh yeah Bain came and aborted it.

Advice to Management

INVEST IN YOUR PIPELINE. The fact that you don't have BDR's generating leads for 2017 is embarrassing. You push this image of success for 2017 but it sounds like fluff

"Not growing pains."

Current Employee - Biz Dev in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Biz Dev in Newark, DE

I have been working at SevOne full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people. Some good leaders still remain.

Cons

To the employee who posted that the issues are growing pains. You must have never worked at a competitive and successful company before. What we are experiencing are not growing pains. Rather, we're experiencing a complete and utter breakdown due to the the pathetic and completely unqualified executive team. There is no plan for the future. Someone else stated on here to look at the CEO's history. Very true. The only plan here is to continue bleeding until it looks like profits are more in line with expenses, then get out. Bain and thee execs will bail, sell off the company in pieces and lay off everyone save few. Then, they'll take their money from equity and walk away. Ask yourself why Any self respecting professional would continue to work here if they were really talented? When an insider and a leading executive team member resigns without a new job and the founders re pushed out, you have issues.

Advice to Management

Stick with your story to the employees guys. You're smarter than everyone realizes. They think you don't know how to manage when in fact you're managing to your plan exactly by degrading the company so you can exit.

"Was great for a little while..."

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Wilmington, DE

Pros

Was family-managed and close-knit at the time

Cons

Shallow, money-driven co-workers; foundering company; Bain Capital