SevOne Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
SevOne CEO Jack Sweeney
Jack Sweeney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It is still a great place to work (in 14 reviews)

• Great work life balance, awesome perks (free lunch twice a week, coffee, snacks, games) and ability to work from home when needed (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Is currently going through growing pains (in 13 reviews)

• That has to tell you something about the "culture of awesome" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"New technology + A great team = Opportunity"

I have been working at SevOne full-time

Pros

SevOne is a company on the move. With new technology and great customers, SevOne is positioned to take advantage of the huge changes in the technology infrastructure market. There is no doubt, our customers are once again turning to us for leadership in this rapidly evolving space.

The best part about the company, however, is the team. The men and women who work at SevOne have developed a culture of working hard, and playing, as a team.

And, It is great to see we are hiring once again!

Cons

Change is hard. There are a few individuals pining for the way the company was in 2012. It was fun, but that was the past.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing to lead the industry. We have the technology roadmap for success, let's stick to it. Reward teamwork, good attitudes, and innovation. Make our customers successful and the rest will sort itself out!

2. "Change is constant"

Former Employee - Vice President Sales in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Vice President Sales in Boston, MA

I worked at SevOne full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great working with world class customers and peers, hired by some of the best people in the world. I now know them as friends and that experience is available to everyone at Sevone.

Cons

Sevone will be challenged by the shift in buying patterns in the top tier customers which are Service Provider and Enterprise accounts, the impact of the
     transformation is not unique to Sevone.

Advice to Management

Change can be hard and execution can be even harder, listen to customers and deliver,...but they know this.

3. "Time to go, been a good run"

I worked at SevOne full-time

Pros

Great people that care about the customers and company success
    Good product
    Excellent support team
    Good services group
    Awesome customer list

Cons

Reducing cost is the main focus
    Slow to invest, slow to get results
    Try to do too much with too little. Expectations too high, investment too low
    Heavy workload. Long hours. High burnout rate
    Sales tired of fighting accounting for commissions earned
    Attitude not to pay comes from the top, make you fight for it to wear you down
    Accounting eliminated more items from commissions , maint, h/w
    Didn't want to pay commissions for services, but it's the only way to sell anything
    Was nothing to sell, customer wanted to buy more but truck is empty
    Teams are motivationally bankrupt
    Couldn't handle the truth. Don't want to hear it. It won't go away by ignoring it
    People hoping to escape before getting shot at the border

Advice to Management

Don't let accounting run sales anymore, more people will try to escape
    Stop SVP turnover
    Hire an experienced person (people if you crack open the wallet) for solutions
    Hire more developers
    Reduce burnout. People need resources to do the job. Customers see it
    If you care, people are at their breaking point and customer too
    You are strangling the company with frugality
    Treat people like assets, not like an expense you delete to increase profit
    "Treat your employees exactly the way you want them to treat your best customers"

4. "Great Company to Work For"

I have been working at SevOne full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team spirit; adaptable and lively development cycle; fun office

Cons

It's definitely hard work, but well worth it.

Advice to Management

Listen to your customer facing technical employees for direction in development. They know what the customers want.

"Still not working"

Former Employee - Sales in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Sales in Newark, DE

I worked at SevOne full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cool offices with free stuff

Cons

Leadership. Environment. Lack of growth and vision. Poor people treatment.

Advice to Management

Take out your CEO and CFO and start over. Turn the job over to your CMO, who actually knows what he’s doing. He’s a better person and personality and is highly technical, so he gets it.

"Moving Forward"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at SevOne full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company is still made up of talented and dedicated people working hard to adapt SevOne's original spirit into industry-relevant technology.

I am encouraged with recent hires in sales and engineering leadership over the past 6mo - 1 yr. These are the right people with tenure in the industry and proven success. I believe this is going to make a difference.

If you are considering this company, there will be challenges but I feel like even as an individual contributor, I have the ability to influence new products, features etc. Lots of new technical focus areas and a "make it better attitude"

Co-workers are outstanding. Everyone willing to help out.

Cons

There is still a handful of disillusioned / frustrated employees that can rub of on others, and to an extent I can understand it. There was a culture shift after the VC acquisition and absolutely missteps that led to the layoffs last year.

But the fact is that the tech that got SevOne on the map is outdated. The industry is moving so quickly, there needs to be a bit more "corporate" structure. I can accept that and for some people that might not be the right environment.

Advice to Management

Product development times need improvement. We need more development and PM folks to realize our goals.

"Great Opportunities and Teams!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, DE

I have been working at SevOne full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best reason to work for SevOne; your team, opportunities for advancement, and the perks! Doors opened for motivated employees. There is always something fun happening at the office!

- Quarterly Bonuses For Management
    - Fun Activities: Trivia Night, Movie Night, Happy Hours, Scavenger Hunts, Escape the Rooms, Always Something New Happening, etc.
    - Opportunities for College
    - Pay Day Lunches (every two weeks)
    - Plenty of committees to get involved with
    - Unlimited PTO
    - Quarterly Awards Rewarding Employees!
    - Happy Hour Fridays
    - Snacks/Coffee
    - Beer Fridge
    - Casual Workplace
    - Collaborative Team Environment
    - Did I Mention the People?

Cons

- If you are Adverse to Change, Not the Best Place
    - Some Employees Stuck on Old Days
    - Continue on Processes Improvement
    - Continue Working on Communication

Advice to Management

Thank you for giving employees the opportunity to go to school. This above everything else is an opportunity I had not had before working at SevOne. Keep giving employees opportunities to build their knowledge and career.

When visiting the Delaware Office, take a moment to come to each department and say "hi." Ask if anyone needs anything. We know you are busy, but it shows you care.

Although we are all in different locations, we need to work on uniting as one team. This is NOT just the FLT's responsibility; employees, management, and senior management all need to work towards communicating.

"Stay away from Boston Engineering"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at SevOne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work location. Office located at Prudential center mall,has a food court, great lunch options. Flexible work culture. Good benefits.Work life balance is good but depending on your engineering team,you might end up leaving work dissatisfied and unhappy. The engineering department has gone from good to bad to worst. Company still had some smart people left when I quit (don't know for how long) and if you are fortunate enough to work with them,you will learn a lot.

Cons

Biggest challenge is working with Engineering Management. Engineering Management change is constant, percolating downwards with high employee turn over rate. Condescending attitude of Engineering Management due to which you are forced to quit. Management change in Engineering is not basically on merit base or business centric. Friends and relatives get hired and promoted over others because of which there is a high turnover and employees don't stay and at least I know many were actively looking to leave the company when I quit. Related employees are involved in direct supervisory/reporting relationship with one another in Engineering. Team's culture is cultivated based on your manager's style. So if you are lucky, you end up working with good managers and good teams else you can be miserable. Communication is zero from middle Management to teams. I along with many other good employees left the company as we could not get along with these bad elements that in turn encouraging bad work culture.

Advice to Management

Put your opinions, pre-conceived notions and feelings aside and take a more objective approach. Career advancement should be fair. Take a look at everyone applying from within for a position. You might be missing some really great talent only because you aren't friends or directly related or haven't hung out with them socially. Treat employees as equals, as sometimes the best ideas come from places you'd least expect.

"Get Real: The Unicorn Is Dead"

Former Employee - Developer in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Developer in Newark, DE

I worked at SevOne full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Used to be an awesome place to work. Not anymore. The culture committee encourages participants to write fake positive reviews to balance honest ones in a lame attempt to improve company's image on Glassdoor. I highly doubt anything will change. This company is doomed if current leadership stays in place. And they aren't going anywhere until they are done with SevOne. Smart people are looking elsewhere.

Cons

The Bain team sucked the blood out of the unicorn. Good people left soon after or were let go during the two rounds of layoffs. Upper management is a total disgrace: self-centered, egomaniacal jerks. I have never seen a less inspiring CEO: hardly ever present, never prepared, zero ability to motivate. No idea how he hasn't been ousted yet.

Advice to Management

Giving advice to SevOne's upper management is pointless. They don't listen.

"Do yourself a favor... look elsewhere"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at SevOne full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If your stuck in the tech-barren land of Delaware without the possibility to move elsewhere, then maybe SevOne is better than being unemployed... or maybe not.

Cons

It has pretty much be stated in the other reviews, but to restate a few points...

- There is ZERO vision or leadership from the executive team. PERIOD. Of course they will say that they have a vision and a plan, and even talk about their RED initiatives and other laughable outdated thinking. However that just shows how naive they are to shifts in the market and what it takes to lead a successful tech company in 2017 (HINT: its not 1997 any more, time to get a clue)

- As things get worse the Bain people just keep adding more and more of their sub-par buddies. They probably don't have much choice as things are so bad they can't attract any real skills to the company, let alone anyone truly talented.

- Most of the people who had a real vision for the future and the determination to dare to make a difference have either been considered "boat rockers" and let go, or finally grew tired of the roadblocking executive team and left. Many of us left are actively looking for new opportunities.

- Sales and Sales Engineering can expect to have their commissions and bonuses stripped using any loophole possible. This alone has contributed to the loss of many of the top performers.

- The product is technically very outdated and most of its benefits can be more easily achieved with open source. Even the newer developments (e.g. RetinaVu) is destined to hit the market hopelessly behind open source alternatives.

- The "boat rockers" knew most of this stuff 18 months ago (or even longer), but the executive team refused to listen. Despite the punishment the market has dealt the company, they still refuse to accept their mistakes and make the changes necessary to save the jobs and livelihood of the employees.

To sum it up, SevOne was a great success story... until the Bain cronies took over. One day SevOne will be one of the examples used to demonstrate how horrible leadership can destroy once great organisations. There are still a few quality people left in the trenches, but without a massive overhaul of the executive team SevOne is going nowhere.

Advice to Management

This box is a waste of time as the executives don't actually listen. That after all is the reason why the company is in the poor place that it is.

SevOne Response

Aug 3, 2017 – CFO

I am sorry to hear of your frustration, but I am surprised you are not impressed by the tremendous progress your teammates have made over the past year.

First of all, we have gone through... More