Shake Shack Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Randy Garutti

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great pay and career opportunities (in 20 reviews)

• Really good pay but thats about it (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, a little hectic at times (in 24 reviews)

• Long hours, hard work, never leave on time (in 5 reviews)

1. "Cross trainer"

Current Employee - Trainer in New Hyde Park, NY
    Current Employee - Trainer in New Hyde Park, NY

I have been working at Shake Shack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people great staff amazing food. Amazing experience

Cons

The hairnets getting soak when cleaning boh

Advice to Management

Keep it up

2. "Team member"

Former Employee - Team Member in New York, NY

I worked at Shake Shack full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Greeat place to work
    Fun
    Flexibility
    Benefits

Cons

Advancement
    Small kitchen
    Wasteful
    Not enough storage

Advice to Management

Not all shake shacks are like the one I worked at I'm sure, but I dealt with a lot of favoritism and seniority. It was hard for new people to move up.

3. "Team Member"

Current Employee - Team Member in Coral Gables, FL

I have been working at Shake Shack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's Great No Complaints Okay

Cons

There's None I Love It There SIKE

"I would go somewhere else"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at Shake Shack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The uniform is simple, they provide you with shirts and you can buy more easily; Black pants, nonslip shoes. If you work full time the paychecks are nice. Discount comes in handy. They have good values on paper and do treat customers very well.

Cons

The management played favourites and then would be offended if you pointed it out. The shifts are long and demanding with little break time. There is more respect for customers than for employees. Rules and regulations were ridiculous, people got in trouble for eating old food. Basically the company cares more about how they look to outsiders than treating their employees with respect and care. I saw people get hurt and no one cared. The shack bucks aren't what they seem. You work hard expecting to get extra money and it's only a few dollars if you're lucky. They were months late with mine.

Advice to Management

Don't play favourites. Treat employees well, that's the spine of the business.

"Is a good place to get limited kitchen experience."

Current Employee - Kitchen Crew in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Kitchen Crew in Melville, NY

I have been working at Shake Shack part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Food/customers and some employees are good. Learn a little about how a kitchen is run. Employees are very diverse culturally.

Cons

Management picks favorites, does not treat all employees as equals even though they preach that they do. Also they have very strict rules and guidelines.

Advice to Management

Don't pick favorites

"It's a fun working environment with the right members"

Current Employee - Team Member in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Team Member in Newark, DE

I have been working at Shake Shack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co works will keep a smile on your face, basically it's a small shack family. When everyone works and support each other time flys

Cons

Management is not on the same page and do not hold the same standards as they set for employees. Also it would be nice for management to actually help instead of hiding in the office when short staff

Advice to Management

Learn how to talk to your employees and keep a professional work place

7. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Shake Shack (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing company to work for. Opportunities to grow

Cons

long hours, crazy schedule.
    late hours if you are closing

8. "been working here for a year"

Current Employee - Team Member in Coral Gables, FL

I have been working at Shake Shack part-time (More than a year)

Pros

i live the 60% discount

Cons

i hate that the customers are sometimes rude and we cant do anything about that. also

9. "👍🏾😄 then 👎🏾😒"

Former Employee - Team Member in New York, NY

I worked at Shake Shack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to meet great people from all over the world and also I had people that I'm still friends with until this day...some of my co workers were cool

Cons

The management sucks and they treat you like you don't have a life as if your life revolves around shake shack

"Former RM - Overall ok company - but ultimately bad upper mngmnt"

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Shake Shack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food for store managers; Salary was on par with my experience; If given the opportunity, it was a decent place to learn different way of doing things

Cons

Negative environment; Being blamed for everything that went wrong even though the GM was at fault; Couldn't fire bad employees who didn't care - had to keep training them in the proper way to do things, even though I was cursed out several times by them; The use of racial and homophobic slurs in front of customers is swept under the rug and ultimately ignored; Myself and the other RM were expected to work roughly 80+hrs a week because the GM and the AGM didn't want to hire another RM to help out

Advice to Management

I posted this on another website rating Shake Shack in response to a negative customer review -

I can attest that this is in fact how most of the locations operate. I was a store manager at this location for a VERY brief period of time a couple of years ago. While I believe the company overall is good, I actually didn’t like working at this location and should have transferred instead of quitting. My biggest complaint about it was that I and the other manager were always getting blamed when things would go wrong or (usually) because of bad customer service. This was because although we took responsibility for issues whenever they happened, the GM would shift the fault from himself to us, continuously blaming us even though he always said the “buck stopped with him.”

The Dupont location is actually one of the worst locations in the company. Out of all stores in the entire company (roughly 75 worldwide at the time) Dupont was consistently in the top 5 with the most complaints. I was hired to bring in some fresh ideas and much needed change. I found out quickly that I was stuck in a box of their 'ideas' on how to make things better. I could only do things a certain way, and had to give bad employees chance, after chance, after chance to screw up and give horrible customer service similar to what you described. Sadly, I saw that several times a day during my time there.

The overall theme and sense was to keep working with the same bad staff over and over hoping that change would eventually come. I understood that they wanted to continue to educate and train staff to make things better, but when the upper management isn't doing anything to stem the tide of bad employees who just don't care, and wouldn’t let us fire them for things like yelling and cursing us out (happened several times to me) or using racial and homophobic slurs in front of customers, then there is just nothing that we could do as managers.
    I am honestly and sincerely sorry you didn't have a better experience, because honestly I did like Shake Shack overall, but with all the problems and issues that it has I’m surprised that location is still open. Unfortunately, in the end its first time customer and the regular customers who have and will continue to suffer until corporate realizes that this store needs more than a band-aid to fix everything.

If you're ever in NYC, I would suggest going to the original location in Union Square. Always consistently AWESOME customer service and great food. Although it’s one of the busiest and you’re going to wait a little while – it’s worth it. If I can still eat Shake Shack after all I went through, you can give it another shot. ;-) Take care.