SkillStorm Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 23, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They create a amazing work environment for everyone" (in 12 reviews)

• "Culture, Work Life Balance, Management Style" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "No cons when you love what you do" (in 16 reviews)

• "No work from home per week/month" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great & Upbeat Company"

Current Employee - Design Team Lead/Applications Architect in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Design Team Lead/Applications Architect in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at SkillStorm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Happy and upbeat company culture that loves celebrating everything from birthdays, to performance, and holidays (and not just main stream).
    - Very understanding and flexible management that works with you as you start and throughout. They also regularly provide feedback.
    - They genuinely seem happy to have you as an employee

Cons

- Most employees are contractors and their employment is dependent on the company they are contracted to. There have been times with almost no notice, employees have been let go due to their contracted company cancelling the job. (I have heard that Skillstorm will try and work with the employee to find them another contract.)
    - Okay healthcare plan, but expensive for anything besides employee only health.
    - Hiring process wasn't very clear. There are a lot of moving parts and the time frame is too murky. I was given a start date, so I moved (to a new state) to accommodate that date, and the day before they told me, they weren't ready. I was out of work for a week because of it.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the upbeat company culture and valuing your employees work, because it helps off set the stress of being a contractor. Be more transparent on start dates and hiring time frame. More importantly, don't give a start date until the date is certain.

2. "Continuous Growth"

I have been working at SkillStorm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture, Co-workers, Clients, Career Growth, Commitment to both internal and external employees.

Cons

The road to achievement is not for the faint of heart. Not everyone is going to be a fit long term and unfortunately that means sometimes you may lose "good" people along that journey.

3. "Technical Recruiter"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter

I worked at SkillStorm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is definite opportunity to make a lot of money if you are willing to put in VERY long hours. SkillStorm offers great recruiting experience in that you work as a full life cycle recruiter and gain valuable knowledge of IT, immigration, sourcing, and ATS systems.

Cons

This is not a company that cares about it's employees. I left SkillStorm because I felt that I was not valued and that I was simply used to meet quotas.

The company is extremely unorganized and the cut throat nature of the industry makes it extremely difficult for a newer employee to see much success. Competition between recruiters is intense and financial successes the executive team promises is extremely hard to come by. In addition, the company rarely understands what the end clients are looking for leading to placements falling off, getting fired, or just simply not working out. In laymen's terms, the executive team promises a financial future that is just plain impossible to achieve.

Employee growth is not something SkillStorm wants. For example, recruiters were asked to fill out goals for the upcoming year. It was advertised that this would be a fun activity and something that would sit on our desks to help motivate us each day. In reality, the goals were reviewed and judged by the executive team. Interest in furthering one's education proved to be an issue for the executives.

I was very sad that I had to leave SkillStorm but the long hours and extremely demeaning work environment proved to be more than I wanted given the lack of financial success.

Advice to Management

Understand what the end clients are looking for and treat recruiters with more respect.

4. "Great place and Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at SkillStorm full-time

Pros

Very professional and good people. Always working hard to give their best to the employees. Fast response on any kind of information

Cons

Great opportunity to work with people at skillstorm

Advice to Management

Good luck and keep going forward

5. "Fun and Flexible Place to Work"

I have been working at SkillStorm full-time

Pros

Although this is not a large consulting firm Skillstorm has the vision and capability to hire and bring in exceptional people with above-average skills and talent. Its recruiters are among the mort experienced in seeing talent, then pursue it.

Cons

One disadvantage with this company, like many others, is in the area of Health Insurance. Affordable health insurance, among other health benefits, have been challenging for companies to offer lower deductible plans that employees can afford and utilize.

6. "Great team"

Current Employee - Process Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Process Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at SkillStorm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Skillstorm puts the employee first. It nice to work for a company that also serves as an advocate.

Cons

Any thing that I could add to this wouldn’t be a direct result of Skillstorm, but rather an editorial of IT in a fast pace environment.

Advice to Management

Keep the quality of employees up, and the rewards will continue.

7. "Technical Recruiter"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter

I have been working at SkillStorm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Passionate environment that offers opportunity along with the tools to learn, grow, and be successful. Simply put, the company loves "winning". Great culture and team. Strong workplace engagement.

Cons

As with most roles that offer commission, you must be willing to put in the time and effort in order to be successful. It is a fast-paced company that continues to change and improve over time, which is a good thing, but can be challenging for individuals that are not comfortable in that kind of environment.

Advice to Management

Continue with the transparency and openness of the leadership team. Management is very approachable and willing to listen to concerns, suggestions, or recommendations that may improve the company.

8. "SkillStorm is AMAZING!!!"

I have been working at SkillStorm full-time

Pros

Amazing culture, outstanding leadership, great opportunity to make a LOT of money at all levels!

Cons

I have no "cons" to report.

9. "A sleeping giant"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at SkillStorm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is top notch. Even though many of us work remotely, SkillStorm does a good job of sustaining its core values and company culture and making everyone feel a part of the team.

SkillStorm doesn't just follow trends in the industry and isn't afraid of doing things their own way.

Smaller, family type feel. Really feel as if upper-management cares.

Very team-oriented and the people at SkillStorm are great on a professional and personal level.

Cons

Tough industry with a lot of demand. Sometimes it feels like we don't have the manpower to deliver on the business we get.

Advice to Management

Could be a personal issue, but sometimes it is a little unclear who's in charge of what and who certain people report to. Regardless, every one does a good job of picking up the pieces and working as a team.

SkillStorm Response

Nov 7, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you so much for the review! We are glad to hear you enjoy working at SkillStorm and the company culture. We strive to keep our culture present in all that we do! We appreciate your advice to... More

10. "SkillStorm Interview Process"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at SkillStorm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I recently went through the on-boarding process here at SkillStorm and have nothing but positive things to say about the experience. I felt like I could be fully transparent about what I was looking for (in terms of career growth and company culture). I was engaged by several different levels of leadership and asked to voice any questions or concerns I might have. Since starting, just a few weeks ago, I learned quickly that all the positive things I heard about the company were true. SkillStorm has been nothing short of fantastic. I am confident this will be the company I represent for the foreseeable future.

Cons

Up to this point, I have none to list.