Smarsh Reviews

3.7
Smarsh CEO Brian Cramer
Brian Cramer
Pros
Cons
  • "There are also some inflated egos with mid and upper management(in 6 reviews)

• "Also it seems like there has been a pretty high turnover in the last year or so(in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Good experience working for Smarsh"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bangalore

I have been working at Smarsh full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Deep Respect shown to everyone, at all levels - Great colleagues who are highly technical, yet very humble and hungry to learn - Employee friendly flexible benefits plan - very carefully designed keeping in mind the needs of employees - Competitive Compensation is a big plus - feeling of being valued - Culture of 'Walk' the 'Talk', Openness (management that listens to feedback) - Strong Leadership Team that strives for continuous improvement in every area - HR team that truly cares for the people - Fun - 1 day, every quarter (Team outings - Movies, Lunch, Games)!

Cons

- Lack of transport facility

Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. People First is not just a value statement displayed on the wall, we strive to show our teams that they are the reason for our success.

2. "Great company! Great people!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Operations

I have been working at Smarsh full-time for less than a year

Pros

Leadership inspires confidence! Employees first!

Cons

Not perfect but trying every day!

3. "It has its perks"

Current Employee - Revenue Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Smarsh full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits and culture are really great.

Cons

Not all the departments are aligned on the company goals and frequently they clash.

Chief People Officer

Thank you for your long term service and commitment to Smarsh. It is good to hear your opinion of our culture and benefits. We can always do better aligning everyone to the same goals, we will continue to make this alignment a focus to drive the best outcomes. Please feel to reach out directly to me if you have specific ideas on how to better align departments, I would welcome your ideas.

"A great company with great people!"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Smarsh full-time for less than a year

Pros

The most transparent and welcoming organization I have ever worked for. Open with all employees about financials and performance. They really put people first.

Cons

There can be some inter-team friction that saps productivity and enthusiasm at times.

Chief People Officer

We are open, because keeping everyone informed helps our team work on the right things and with a common understanding. Thank you for taking time to acknowledge this with your review. We will keep sharing information with everyone.

5. COVID-19

"Best Job to Date"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Smarsh full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Transparent culture, especially around COVID response - Increased commitment and ownership among and across teams - Culture of feedback is evolving, we're getting better

Cons

- Some teams challenging to collaborate with, often point to "it's not a goal for me, so I can't help you" - Shifting priorities make it challenging to get big stuff done over time as planned - Some key non-exec personnel under-performing, not seeming to improve over time

Chief People Officer

Wow! Thanks for your comments. We will continue to promote a culture of accountability.

"Transparent, Transformational and Inspiring Culture"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Smarsh full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very motivational culture. Recently, there is complete ownership of issues, full transparency, transformational leadership and focus on customer's outcomes. Customer Success and their outcomes is the new mantra . Everything is being looked at from customer's experience perspective.

Cons

Geo-dispersed team. If you are not comfortable with long hours and working way early in the morning or late in the evenings to coordinate with geo-dispersed global workforce, this is not the place for you.

Continue reading

"Very little ownership across teams"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Smarsh full-time for more than a year

Pros

The CEO communicates often about company goals and objectives. The market for the product is stable. Good benefits and a nice office.

Cons

Very siloed organization. A lot of “not my job” attitudes that extend resolution timelines by months. Nobody wants to take ownership of objectives, even if it specifically falls under their department. There are quite a few inflated egos and people in manager roles that do not have leadership skills. The customers hate the product. The product breaks weekly to the point that it causes legal issues for customers. They only keep it because they have to. Similar to me keeping Comcast because CenturyLink isn’t much better and it’s a pain to change over.

Continue reading

"Love the company, customer success needs some better focus"

2.0
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Smarsh full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great co-workers - Company culture as a whole is decent - HQ in Portland, great work life balance

Cons

- Customer success team is being ask to focus on the things that make us look good and producing stats and score even if they're not actually providing real or better customer service - Questionable decisions and motivations within CS that are not in the best interests of the customer

Chief People Officer

Hello Customer Success team member. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. There have been many changes in the customer success organization in the past 6 months. I will share this review with the leaders to make sure the changes we are making are effective. I appreciate that you like working in our Portland office and I would encourage you to communicate with your HR business partner over any specific concerns.

9. "Clear vision, excellent position in the market, talented people."

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Smarsh full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company is one of the main players in the archiving space, and it is placed in the upper right Gartner quadrant. The vision for the future is also well carved as the company is about to release its Saas solution for the Federal Government.

Cons

While the core engineering sites are Portland USA and Bangalore India, the teams are often dispersed which causes overhead and sometimes misunderstandings. However, Smarsh brings everyone together once a year for a celebration and get to know.. In addition there is quite a bit of product and teams specific travelling.

Chief People Officer

We are so excited about 2020. Smarsh is in the lead position on the Gartner Quadrant and we are very aligned internally to our vision. Thank you for your support and I hope you have a great 2020 at Smarsh.

"Huge growth + Big Challenges = Amazing Potential"

Current Employee - Vice President Engineering in Portland, OR

I have been working at Smarsh full-time for less than a year

Pros

Strong corporate leadership. Great product/market fit. Excellent opportunities for smart, driven individuals. Interesting technical challenges.

Cons

Company is in transition. "Target-rich environment" results in shifting priorities. Lot's of technical challenges.

Found 117 reviews