Software AG Reviews | Glassdoor

Software AG Chairman of the Board Management Karl-Heinz Streibich
Karl-Heinz Streibich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Pathetic work life balance, no appreciation of your work and management is worse than ever (in 7 reviews)

• The regular team outings are now a little old school (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I'm so glad I joined Software AG!"

I have been working at Software AG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have long held the belief that HR is generally unresponsive and operated by heartless humans. That is, until my first e-mail to Software AG's HR department. Suffice it to say, I was inclined to work for Software AG simply based on how responsive and profession each of the HR staff was to my questions and concerns. This was especially important to me as I transitioned from a career in the public sector to one in the private sector.

The director of staffing largely shaped my positive impression of Software AG, simply because the person set aside time to learn more about me as a person. The director’s actions conveyed to me that, perhaps Software AG is a company that cares about its employees and seeks to build a lasting relationship with them. Since I joined, I have not been proven otherwise.

As I journeyed along the hiring process, I was connected to staff from the compensation and benefits sections. Each person was exceptionally responsive to my requests for information and helped me navigate through the paperwork. To be quite honest, I initially expected for both of them to ignore my questions until I was a brought onboard. However, their assistance provided for a smooth transition from the public sector.

On orientation day, I distinctly remember three HR staff: the senior vice president of HR; the employee relations and compliance officer; and the human resources coordinator. I was glad that the senior vice president of HR considered the orientation event significant enough to greet the new employees. The employee relations and compliance officer did an outstanding job orienting us to Software AG. The officer also remained available to answer questions immediately after the session and continues to keep and open-door policy.

I was particularly impressed by the human resources coordinator who worked feverishly from behind-the-scenes to ensure our paperwork was processed in time. Little did I (and the rest of my new colleagues) realize, she had been on the job for not more than a few weeks. The professionalism and poise she exhibited while processing the paperwork in between scheduled orientation breaks astonished us. The human resources coordinator demonstrated the caliber of people that Software AG hires and invests in.
    I stopped by HR months after I was hired to see if this was all a fairy tale, and found that each one continues to seek for ways to make Software AG an enjoyable place to work for. The programs that HR implemented since I joined, demonstrates they are listening to the concerns of employees and are searching for the best solution(s). Because the HR team values a strong work ethic with a focus on building lasting relationships, those same values are transmitted along and embedded into each step of the hiring process.

Overall, Software AG’s HR team positively exceeded my expectations and demonstrated how a highly professional team of HR professionals is leveraged to attract talented people.

Cons

I have not had a bad experience thus far.

Advice to Management

Thank you for empowering HR to invest in Software AG employees.

2. "Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Software AG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a good . company with descent benefit .

Cons

Consulting is high pressure job. So be ready

3. "Software AG"

Former Employee - Finance Director in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Finance Director in Reston, VA

I worked at Software AG full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work/Life balance - 40 hours per week

Cons

German company with a matrix organization. No spirit & soul to the company. All about efficiency (controlling costs).

Advice to Management

Empower local managers.

4. "Decent company, mostly good people"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at Software AG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair compensation, good benefits, great co-workers

Cons

One manager can spoil the entire experience. He never had anything positive to say about me, no matter what I did.

5. "Onboarding US"

Current Employee - Senior Director Analytics in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director Analytics in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Software AG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the outstanding pros to me: it's a large company - and it's a software company. Consequently, the people working here know what they are doing. There is a clean structure and my HR contact person was always able to either help me directly or to connect me with the person who did.
    Nevertheless, the team I am working for is not too big. It's a casual, efficient, and professional environment ... and experience for me. I feel appreciated and valuable.
    The environment is contemporary and easy to familiarize with.

Cons

I got no cons to report.

"Decent place to work"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Software AG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A flexible work environment, with a good work life balance.
    Good team spirit and middle management trusts the team.

Cons

Pay is below the market. Unless you are in the top management, chances of growth are not too much.

Advice to Management

Invest in Employees and not just in acquistions

7. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - RVP in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - RVP in Reston, VA

I worked at Software AG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice environment, strong sales culture, no cap on commissions, no games on payouts, great product, lots of marketing and R&D investment.

Cons

High pressure to hit targets can drive bad behaviour for long term customer relationships.

Advice to Management

Keep focussing on the long term relationship with customers, not just a single transaction.

8. "Great role with a ton of opportunity"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Software AG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good product set, the German-engineering mindset of the company does lead to a lot of effort in investing into products
    - Recent M&A and partnerships towards analytics/IoT have made the value proposition a lot more compelling
    - Given its silence and lack of visibility in the marketplace, a LOT of potential to seed and grow opportunities backed by a good platform
    - Great work/life balance, autonomy to run your accounts, manage resources, time and meetings with flexible work-from-home options for most field sales reps
    - Good coaching, mentoring and corporate resources to leverage, many who understands what it takes to succeed in the field
    - Surrounded by a lot of bright people

Cons

- Lack of marketing, investments in branding/messaging, and mindshare makes a tougher gig to do our jobs. This has improved significantly in the past 6 months however
    - Internal processes takes a little getting used to (deal desk, expenses, travel, vacation requests etc.) as they are more intensive than some other organizations
    - Lack (though vastly improving) of industry GTM, teams and expertise, couple that with a maturing partner/alliances organization, not a visible industry nuance yet

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in the marketing/messaging as well as partnerships/M&A with IoT to refine the GTM, make it easier for sales to deliver an industry-specific message.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Sales in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Sales in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Software AG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work on the Government Solutions side of the organization which is technically a separate company. This is very unique as it provides the small-business culture (40-50 people) but with the backing, resources, and job security of a multinational company.

The work environment is very professional and the office is essentially brand new. The team is extremely welcoming and will provide you with the training and resources to be successful.

Tons of opportunity for professional development.

Cons

Very long procurement cycles in the government requires a lot of patience and tenacity.

Due to work with the government there is occasionally extra paperwork to do or hoops to jump through (either to make something happen or compliance regulations) - this really isn't a big deal though.

Advice to Management

Providing a clear and defined path to promotion would be nice for goal setting and staying on track.

Fill vacant positions to take pressure off some of the upper level management/operations personnel.

"New Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Software AG full-time

Pros

I have recently joined Software AG in Reston. The employee training and on-boarding process was excellent. The work environment is very professional and positive, good morale.

Cons

Nothing negative to report at this time.

Advice to Management

It is very evident that employees are valued and the culture is very important to Software AG.