Spring Venture Group Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Spring Venture Group CEO Chris Giuliani
Chris Giuliani

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This place is just simply different than any other work environment that I have ever been a part of (in 15 reviews)

• Yes, there is beer in the fridge and ping pong arenas on both floors (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing fast, so things are a bit disorganized (in 4 reviews)

• It can be very long hours especially during the busy time (in 6 reviews)

"Amazing people and atmostphere"

I have been working at Spring Venture Group full-time

Pros

Encouraging and warm management and upper management.
    Positive environment where they invest in your growth.
    Amazing culture.

Cons

No cons that stick out.

"Inside Sales Agent"

Pros

Managers that care
    A fun work environment
    Great training
    Good values
    Opportunity for growth
    Qualified leads
    Pretty unreal commission structure

Cons

I feel like anyone that complains about SVG needs a reality check. It’s sales. The nature of the job is to lose 85% of the time. If you can’t handle that, then you aren’t meant for sales.

With that being said, I’ve got absolutely nothing bad to say about SVG.

3. "See Below Review - Prospective Employees Beware"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent

I worked at Spring Venture Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you read the review "From Progressive & Innovative to Greedy & Deceptive," you'll pretty much see all of my the points I would make. Props to that guy.

Some personal pros:

- The people themselves who work at this company are fantastic. You will meet some absolutely amazing people.

- Compensation: you definitely do have the POSSIBILITY of pulling in some serious paychecks. Those who excel will see 80k+ a year.

Support staff - Outside of the sales vertical, people are really, really cool. The culture managers, the engineering staff, etc; are very talented.

Location - Downtown office is pretty swaggy.

Freedom - hours are relatively flexible. Ditto on dress code.

Cons

Whew, here we go:

- Dishonesty. Oh, we're not "cold calling," but we're talking to 70-year-olds who clicked on a Trump ad on Facebook, or filled out a survey for a free rewards card. This culture of dishonesty goes into pushing products that the client doesn't need, rewarding selling carriers that aren't in their best interest just for sales bonuses, and in lying to agents directly about how the structure works. Everything detailed in the lower review about tiers of leads and putting certain agents on a pedestal is true.

- Work/Life balance, i.e., there is none. Prepare to never take a day of vacation unless you're in the top 20% of agents. Minimum hours required are 45 hours a week, but prepare that to be stretched to 50-60 hours + weekends if you are EVER behind. Due to the incredibly quick sales cycle, every hour that you're not at your desk is an hour you're falling behind. Prepare for your anxiety levels to hit new peaks.

- Compensation structure. It's so feast/famine it's not even funny. The earning potential is great to have, but a base pay of $8/hour means that a single down month sends you into dire financial straits. The benefits are also not great (401k match of $150? Really?), but to their credit, they are working on this.

- Management/mentorship: the sales/Medicare training is comprehensive, but it only lasts three weeks. Then, you have a Sales Coach to help you out for about a month(?) and a half. That's it. If you can't succeed within that time frame, prepare to be viewed as a second-tier employee for the rest of your short tenure. People who kill it on the floor are rewarded and held up as paragons of the company, but if you aren't on that level, you're pretty much nothing. This also ties in with that all the Sales Managers are fairly recently promoted from the sales floor itself. This means that they know the job, but they have 0 previous management experience.

- The clientele. The youngest person you'll ever talk to will be 64. Stock your liquor cabinet accordingly.

Advice to Management

Getting a new HQ and posting growth numbers are great. I'm sure the venture capitalists are happy. But the focus on end numbers above all else means that every employee is now just a cog in the machine. If you don't do well, whatever. They'll just replace you with the next training class. Sales is inherently hard, but there is a LOT more you could doing to actually live out the values you espouse.

If the main focus of SVG is to "build a better company," you should act like it.

"From Progressive & Innovative to Greedy & Deceptive"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Spring Venture Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I started here, this company was a beacon of hope in a corrupt, predatory industry. They preached Values, treated their employees with respect, and fostered a fun work environment. It was the American Dream job - good money, little regulation, involved management and very progressive. Unfortunately, when promise of money showed itself, they showed their true colors. The following points are what remain of the beauty that used to be this company.

-The people you work with get you through the day.
    -With enough drive and a thick skin, you can make good money
    -Your main product is superior to most others on the market
    -Flexible hours and dress code
    -If you can last long enough to be promoted, and don't have a problem blaming those below you for the companies failures, then kiss up and smile.
    -The few clients who actually want our help or call us directly, will get the best supplement available.

Cons

This company was once driven by values, but is now corrupted by GREED.

-Nepotism is rampant. I can count on one hand how many promotions were merit based. So many good people have been skipped over to reward those with connections. This is leading to mismanagement and a lack of respect for the managers.
    -Your success is engineered by the company. They recently discovered that they can make more money by cutting corners on quality of resources/leads at the expense of the agent who relies on that. Every year, you have less opportunity than the previous - meaning you will spend more of your time for fewer results and a smaller payoff. This will soon be a burn & churn call center. There are a select few agents who the company keeps on a pedestal, giving them better leads than everyone else, only to use them as an "example of what hard work brings," when in reality they are kept happy to encourage others to work harder.
    -Tenured agents won't last. Cutting costs leads to more stress on the salesmen, which leads to low morale, and finally to turnover, which will get more and more frequent.
    -Opportunity for advancement becomes less feasible as time goes on, mainly because you have to ignore the deceptions that plague you daily. If there is a problem, they will NEVER recognize their own fault, but will instead focus on ways YOU can improve your efficiency in an ever-weakening system.
    -You are REQUIRED to sell ancillary products that do more harm than good for the client. The Dental product is so shady, the carrier doesn't even bother to send out all the cards and paperwork - they're banking on the client forgetting they signed up for it. The carrier this company pushes the most is Aetna. There is an entire department devoted to ONLY selling Aetna products because several higher ups have ties to them (see Nepotism). Aetna's Cancer policy DOES NOT always pay out claims to the clients. I know of several people diagnosed with cancer who are fighting Aetna for the money they are owed. Disgusting.
    -Marketing is incredibly DECEPTIVE. Much of the "leads" come from people filling out intentionally misleading surveys - baseless Facebook Ads about Trump changing medicare (not true), warnings about medicare costs going up (not true), mobile ads offering free (insert product here), MedicarePlus cards, etc...the idea is that if even 1/50 of those cheap fake ads lead to a sale, then the company makes their money back. This has replaced the previous method, which was to pay higher prices for quality (legitimate) leads. As you can guess, the new way requires much more time and resilience from the agent, in order to make a sale.
    -Deception at every level. Management WILL lie to you when the company makes changes to your detriment. There are Tiers, based on your performance level, which dictate the quality of leads you get - AKA how many justifiably angry people you need to talk to before you get to one who actually wants your help. Managers will look you in the eye and tell you THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TIERS and SOME PEOPLE DO BETTER IN LOWER TIERS, because they want to keep you encouraged, and can't admit you are intentionally put at a disadvantage.
    -Distrust in those in charge. When you are constantly lied to by middle and upper management about tiers, leads, goals, and opportunity, it is hard to feel respected.
    -Compensation. This company has been in business for almost 8 years now, and yet your commission sheet will rarely be accurate. Be prepared to keep diligent track of all your sales and extremely complicated commissions owed, because you will NOT be paid on everything you are owed unless you track them down. Management will tell you this is because they "still haven't worked out the kinks." Either this is true, and the commissions department is completely incompetent and needs a massive overhaul OR they are counting on most people not being detail-oriented enough to catch what they are owed. It is not uncommon to have several THOUSAND dollars missing from a paycheck.
    -The clientele. Arguably the worst demographic, 65+ are commonly stubborn, rude and irritable. Be prepared to stroke egos and treat them like children in order to help them save what little money they have. They think logically, but act emotionally, so they will frequently recognize the need but many WANT there to be a problem so they don't have to bother. This explains why 90% of the people you talk to are on nothing but SS. They make terrible financial decisions and ASSUME you are the bad guy.

Ultimately, this company is growing exponentially. We doubled our workforce in one year. If you think that was too fast, you have found the root of the problem. Instead of maintaining the level of quality and integrity that they were supposedly built on, they are maximizing their profit at the cost of the employee, who now has to work longer and harder, through hordes of angry people getting unsolicited phone calls, in order to make the same sale that used to be acquired quicker, and much more legitimately, while respecting both the method we reach the client and the time of the agent.

Advice to Management

This is tough. In order to be a manager here, you have to pass down the lies, ignore any inquiries as to company changes, and encourage those below you to push harder and harder, with their resources becoming fewer and less legitimate.

To upper management - YOU are the problem. You might get rich off your new changes, but in the end your company will be no better than all the other less-than legitimate competitors lying to people about their options and talking them in to paying higher prices. You are venture capitalists, so you will eventually sell the company and move on to the next project, surely touting the same Value-driven mentality, destined to succumb to the same Greed SVG is threatened by.

Apr 9, 2018 – VP Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you were not happier with your experience at SVG. The feedback provided will certainly be considered as we continually seek to improve and... More

"Great for making money, not much else"

I worked at Spring Venture Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Money if you're fine being a bit slimy with grandma.

Cons

Sales. Insurance. Quotas keep going up every few months. Burn out.

Just be warned.

Advice to Management

Chris is awesome. The other has hair.

Apr 9, 2018 – VP Human Resources

Thank you for your review - we are always seeking to utilize feedback to continue improving as a company. We appreciate your time with SVG, and wish you the best in your future endeavors!

"Not what they appear"

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Spring Venture Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's a post on here should be a few bellow this one titled
    "From Progressive & Innovative to Greedy & Deceptive." This review could NOT be more accurate. Literally took the word's out of my mouth. This company was once a great place to work.

Cons

Every year the commission structure becomes harder and harder in favor of the company keeping more of your hard earned money. Like any company that starts out at first its small and so they have to offer competitive pay and try to make the atmosphere fun and enjoyable. As a company grows and succeeds GREED will show its true colors. What once was the best job I ever had turned into a nightmare. They will sell you a bag of tricks. If you think your going to enjoy yourself at this company you are wrong. I will bet my life within another 3 years this will be a bonafide corporate sweat shop. Whatever values they started off with have been replaced with profits and greed at the expense of the sales agents.

Apr 9, 2018 – VP Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. While we are sorry you were not happier with your employment with us, we certainly will keep striving to use insights and input received to find ways we can better... More

7. "Inside Sales Advisor"

I have been working at Spring Venture Group full-time

Pros

Incredible culture and team atmosphere.

Very transparent, you will always get a direct answer if you have a question about something big picture or even just the day-to-day.

Support system that helps on a both personal and professional level.

Most of the common challenges or issues people face are ones that develop mentally. When these get resolved or overcome, its not just a professional improvement, but one that you can carry on to the day-to-day activities on a personal level as well.

Negativity gets shut down very quickly.

The money is nice as well.

Cons

Job can be monotonous from the normal work day. It's important to be able to handle this professionally.

Due to the line of work. It's a very sensitive environment, even with how fast it can be shut down, you will see a lot of negativity.

From the outside in, it can very easily seem that those who are better at sales can be favored. (Ask questions about it and concerns will most likely go away)

If you focus solely on the numbers, it can very easily be overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the transparency. It keeps people motivated.

As the company grows, culture will be one of the biggest concern for present employees.

Feb 21, 2018 – VP Human Resources

We appreciate your feedback and are proud that our employees feel a sense of transparency and support, as this is very important to SVG. We are continually striving to engage our people through our... More

"Trustworthy Leadership, Excellent Culture"

Former Employee - Principal Architect in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Principal Architect in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Spring Venture Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership from C-level down genuinely cares about success of everyone at the company. Encourages innovation and progress. Concerted efforts towards open and strong communication across departments. Employees are empowered to create change.

Company is profitable and financial forecast is good. Exploring various avenues for responsible expansion and growth.

I left this company solely for personal reasons. It is an excellent group, and I am sad to go.

Cons

Still maturing as a company. It is not a startup, but speaking from an IT/development perspective, if you are looking for a well-established org/hierarchy with well-established processes, then look elsewhere. If you want to be involved in shaping the organization, then this is a great place.

Benefits are a little weak, but they have been making steady improvements year over year as the company matures.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and don't lose sight of your employees as the #1 asset. Establish some processes around engaging IT in strategic discussions earlier.

Jan 22, 2018 – VP Human Resources

Thank you for your review! Our employees are the drivers of our success and we will definitely continue to utilize employee feedback to enhance our workplace and business. We are so glad you had a... More

9. "Sales Agent"

I have been working at Spring Venture Group full-time

Pros

Great salary if you do well

Cons

Talking to old people all day every day

10. "An exciting and fulfilling place to work and advance a career"

Current Employee - Director of IT Operations in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Director of IT Operations in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Spring Venture Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dedicated and passionate people, growing company, great mission

Cons

Slight growing pains related to occupancy, benefits are improving but still have some shortcomings

Jan 7, 2018 – VP Human Resources

We are excited to hear about your positive experience so far at SVG! We work hard to ensure our employees feel valued and connected to our mission and values. We will continue to make improvements to... More