Spring Venture Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Spring Venture Group CEO Chris Giuliani
Chris Giuliani

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Progressive work environment that values individuality and growth" (in 17 reviews)

• "Ping Pong is a big deal for the company" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "It can be very long hours especially during the busy time" (in 5 reviews)

• "Ultimately, this company is growing exponentially" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great people + great culture = great company"

Former Employee - Transfer Agent in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Transfer Agent in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Spring Venture Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at Spring Venture Group are the biggest asset and management knows it. They treat everyone as an individual and they are always finding ways to help you be the best version of yourself. The department I was in knew how to make working fun. It's the only job I've ever had that I looked forward to coming to work. We get to help people all day and we get to do it with our friends. What could possibly compare to that?

Cons

Sometimes the job got tedious but tye leadership in the department knew how to keep us motivated and helped us remember that the next call could be the opportunity to change someone's life.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

2. "Inside Sales"

I worked at Spring Venture Group full-time

Pros

Awesome place to work, great managers.

Cons

Having to track own commission.

3. "It's Sales"

I have been working at Spring Venture Group full-time

Pros

You have the opportunity to make a LOT of money.

Best inside sales experience you can have, it is not easy but if you are successful doing this you will crush any sales job you ever have in the future.

Rewarded directly for your ability to strive for excellence - you sell you are praised, you don't you are provided with info on how to improve and support to ensure it happens. But it is 100% up to the agent to improve, if the effort isn't there then you won't get help.

Coming out of college or just changing career paths you have the ability to make well over $75K (should make your first year easily) & $100K + (after your first year) by talking to people on the phone!!!! But it is NOT just going to be given to you, you have to work at it every single day and if you do that, after 6-8 months you will be making more money then every single one of your friends and most of you family members.

Chris Giuliani - His man is the best CEO you will ever meet, he will do anything and everything in his power to improve business model, the culture and most importantly the individual employee's.

Cons

The message in training is that you are going to come out day one selling 2-5 deals per day and make $100-$150K your first year. Although it is possible, most agents can't do that. Expect to truly make $60-$75K your first year.

Biggest con for most agents - Hours, you will work a LOT. But remember, you are being given the opportunity to make so much more many then any 9 to 5 job will ever give you.

Lots of new and young managers that are still learning. With that being said, it is still a young company, there are going to be growing pains.

There are other review that talk about favoritism, that does happen but get over it! This happens in all companies regardless, easiest way to get around it at SVG....be yourself, nothing more and nothing less.

They promoted a LOT of agents/sales coaches to managers (due to massive growth) and for the most part they are good, but there are some communication problems between lower management and upper management. This is something that will change with time, but understand you will most likely have a manager that has never managed people before.

Advice to Management

Set realistic expectations for new hires

"The Business Development Dept is awesome. I wish I wouldn't have resigned."

Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Spring Venture Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

To start off, the great coworkers, awesome leadership team, flexible schedule, fun work environment, and rewarding interaction with potential customers are the things I miss the most.

I resigned because of a death in my family. I just couldn't focus on the job anymore. Big mistake. I hope to come back one day because working at Spring Venture Group was the best decision I ever made.

I came from a totally different industry. This was my first office kind of job. The BDS department is fantastic. The leaders really care about people. From my team lead all the way to the managers, they all will do whatever they can to help you succeed and even more than that they really care about you as a person.

My team was the best and my team lead and managers were amazing. We worked hard but also got to do fun things like contests, cornhole games before team meetings, and stuff like that. My team even got to do happy hours every month and if you performed well our manager and team lead bought us drinks. They even brought us treats like Capri Suns and fruit snacks on team meeting days. Where else do you get that?

If you like helping people and you are searching for a work hard, play hard career, the BDS team at Spring Venture Group is your answer. You truly get to help people and you're a part of a dope team. Plus, you can make great money while doing it. Best job EVER and I miss my team.

Cons

The only thing I can think of that wasn't great was that the C.O.O. Jeffry didn't seem care about anything but the sales teams. THe rest of the managers were great. Especially the 2 dedicated department managers. They were the best. The C.E.O. Chris was good too.

Advice to Management

The support staff is the best thing about your company, remember that. To the Business Development Specialists Team managers, keep doing exactly what your doing because you guys are the reason the BDS department is the best part of the company. To my old team #beatyesterday and I hope your still crushing it. Miss you guys.

"You get out of Spring what you put into it. We put our hearts into what we do and we have pride in our work"

Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Spring Venture Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing people
    Fun work environment
    Encouraging management team
    Great company culture
    Opportunities to grow personally and professionally
    Excellent coaching
    Amazing leadership team
    Opportunities for growth
    The chance to make a difference and change lives every day
    The best coworkers you could ask for
    Great views
    Awesome new building in a fun location
    Effective job training
    Nobody monitors your every move, but all 6 managers are there to help ANY time you need it
    Fun department events like our own Olympics and other contests
    Coworkers that challenge you to do the best you can
    Everyone wants you to do your best
    Competitive and fun

Cons

With the rapid growth we're experiencing there are a few growing pains, but I'm confident the dust will settle and we will be just fine. The best thing about the Business Development Specialist Team is that even with all of the changes, the team leads and both managers help us focus on the process and keep us steady. Change is always uncomfortable at first, but with these guys at the helm of the ship, I know we will stay on course and remain the BEST DEPARTMENT AT SPRING VENTURE GROUP!

Advice to Management

To the BDS management team including the team leaders, please keep doing what you are doing. It's so cool that you give us so much encouragement and support. I really liked the opportunity you gave us to voice our opinions about SVG in that meeting. All 6 of you make us feel valued and you have proved to us that our input matters. Keep doing that.

To the C-Level folks, while you guys are busy babysitting the sales team and buying them concert tickets and expensive prizes, we're working hard and perfecting our process over here. Look out, because you haven't seen anything yet. Our team is the hardest working team in the whole company and we are on a mission to make our presence known. Sales might get the cool toys and all of your attention, but we haven't lost sight of what is most important -authenticity, integrity, grit, and the chance to truly have a positive impact on the world one phone call at a time. You'll see. We're going to be impossible to ignore pretty soon, no matter how hard you try.

"Great Place, Great people, Great Culture"

I have been working at Spring Venture Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SVG is really unlike any other company I have worked for. They strive to make it an awesome place to work. I have really enjoyed working here so far!

Cons

With growth comes growing pains. It will all work out with the right leadership in place, though.

"A long review, but worth the read if you're seriously considering applying here"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Spring Venture Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Happy Hours, random events/excuses to drink, if you're a young 20 something right out of college, this will probably appeal to you

-If you are a sales agent, all of your training and licenses are paid for.

-You have a month of training, then support after training as well to hone your sales skills. Anyone can do this job without previous experience if you're willing to learn and work hard ( IE a lot of hours)

-The new building has a training/lunch/play area that is basically an adult play room with Connect 4 and basketball hoops. Ping Pong is a big deal for the company

-You're in the heart of downtown so if you like to go out and party, PNL is just a few blocks away

Cons

If you're not looking at applying here as a sales agent, this review will probably not be relevant for you. I worked as a sales agent and therefore all of my experience is about that particular department and it's rise and fall.

Before I begin, I want to address some of the more recent reviews I've seen posted here by current employees that apparently are in management trying to bury the former sales agents reviews--- it is an obvious attempt to mask and justify/explain why you are seeing negative reviews like ' greedy and deceptive...' etc. If you want there to be better reviews for this company on Glassdoor, then improve the company overall, don't ask people in management to start writing justification pieces to attempt to trivialize other reviews.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I started at SVG, I was excited. I felt special, and lucky to have found a company that seemingly embodied the same core values that I hold so dear in my own personal life- Honesty and Integrity. Things went very well the first year I was there, and then rapid growth started to happen. I suppose it was inevitable since Jeffrey and Chris are venture capitalists, and want the company to get as big as possible. Because the company was as large as it was when I first started, ( somewhere around 200 people) I thought that they were growing the right way. And they did, for awhile. 2017 was a good year. Since the beginning of 2018, the growth could be equated to an avalanche of garbage cascading down a mountain of struggle, negatively impacting the very foundations/moneymakers of the company-- The sales agents.

Simply put, this company is growing too fast, and too quickly to maintain the quality they once had. This is absolutely felt on the sales side. The company is dialing the same lead 8-10x a day now, instead of simply purchasing more quality leads. I honestly don't care what the dollar figure is that SVG is spending on leads right now--- whatever it is, you need to double it, since you doubled your workforce. And if you can't afford it, then stop hiring more and more people.

People are so angry that we called them 10x in a day, they wouldn't even speak to us on the phone, when they DID pick up. They would just scream ' put me on your do not call list,' and hang up. You used to be able to dial around 60-200 calls a day, and make 2 deals or more depending on how hard you pushed yourself to work. Now, even in tier 1 ( The company maintains that they only have 2 tiers and i think it used to be way, but not anymore) you could make 350 dials a day and not make a single deal for that day, or have one meaningful conversation. All of this you might be able to handle, but your minimum work week requirement is 45 hours a week. You used to be able to work 50-55 hours a week/come in on weekends to make up for the difference, but at this point, the lead quality is such garbage, that is not possible anymore.

You can also expect that if you, your team, or the majority of the company isn't on pace to hit quota, that upper management will not take responsibility for the dip in sales. They will blame it on the sales agents and say things like 'be more creative,' 'call your pipeline more' etc.... As if you haven't already switched up your strategy, come in early, come in late, come in on weekends and cannibalized your pipeline. What this really means is that you're working harder, trying to stay positive while you work yourself 4x harder than you used to and now make half as much.

It's now coming to a point that you will have to start doing shady things, like stealing other peoples leads calling back in, tricking the dialer system, not status out bad leads, and intimidating/tricking senior citizens into deals just so you can try to hit quota.

So many people working at this company are AMAZING sales people. They are great at what they do, and they provide real value to the clients, and a HUGE majority of them can't hit minimum quotas month after month because the growth happened too fast, and it's not over, not by half.

The pie is the same size, your piece is just smaller.

As for favoritism and a bro atmosphere brought up in past reviews--- This is 100% true. The sales managers quality overall has declined. Favorites have been promoted over very successful, highly qualified agents, and it is definitely 'who you know' that affects your future at that company. Get ready to suck up to keep your job/sales coach status if you're not hitting quota. Otherwise, you could be fired without much notice. Sales agents used to be treated with respect, now you are a number and if you're not meeting expectations, you can be easily replaced with the next training class.

---------------------------------------

In closing, if you are willing to work 45-55 hours a week, to make 50-60k, this job is worth it for you. If you value your time, and know that you're worth more, look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

You are growing too fast yet continue to tout the same values that you once had. You need to lower peoples expectations about what they are walking into, and be more realistic about the current average income of new agents.

"If you work for this company YOU got sold"

Former Employee - Sales in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Sales in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Spring Venture Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have beer in the fridge sometimes?

Cons

I'd be willing to gamble most of the short and sweet 5 star reviews on here are bogus and made up my upper management to wash out all the bad reviews coming on here. Your required to work 50+ hours a week and will spend most of your time cold calling people who are unpleasant to speak with. The company has expanded massively over the last year or so I am told and you can tell. There's only a small percentage of people who hit quota consistently here. Oh and you are required to shove crappy dental insurance down 12 of your clients a month or they with hold any bonus you might of hit. You basically have to lie to people to get them to buy this crappy product. Unless your in the top 10% of sales agents you won't have a good time here and will make mediocre money. They will make it sound so great during interviews and training just warning you it wont be the same once your on the sales floor.

"Inside Sales - The Turn Over Game"

Former Employee - Sales Agent
    Former Employee - Sales Agent

I worked at Spring Venture Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Decent compensation if you’re willing to work 50+ hours a week and some Saturdays.
    -PTO
    -Nice People
    -Good location

Cons

-Health Insurance Benefits are lacking
    -Turn Over Rate has spiked due to excessive growth and promises are made to tenured agents that income won’t be affected by the growth which has not been the case for most. It has become increasingly more difficult to make the same commission each month because the lead generation has shifted with the growth
    - Quotas increase on policies that are not necessarily needed for clients and agents are forced to sell things they aren’t comfortable with
    -Poor 401K Match

Advice to Management

Be straight forward and transparent with agents. Every one needs to be on the same page.

"How to make it through"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Spring Venture Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Spring Venture Group is a great company to be apart of; a very heavily data-driven marketing firm that specializes in the Medicare marketplace.

- Very competitive compensation across a majority of departments

- Progressive work environment that values individuality and growth

- Truly groundbreaking work on the marketing and data side of the company

- A very social presence in the Kansas City area

- Substantial resources devoted to employee training and continuing education.

- Support Departments (IT, Help Desk) are great and do their best to help everyone else

- Middle and Upper Management truly do care, and want you to be successful here. Whatever effort you put in will be reciprocated.

-No more squeaky stall doors can I get a "Amen"

Cons

You can boil a lot of the "Cons" listed in each review down to perspective. It always comes down to that. It depends on how you handle certain stresses or environments, and communicate effectively with your peers. No one is going to get mad at you for asking questions or trying to better yourself.

Everyone wants to bring up work/life balance - and it is a fair point to be made. In the sales department of the company, it can be hard to find that balance if you aren't performing to the expected standard and you have to work 5 or 10 more hours a week than others to get to the same performance. This applies to all departments, and in any job. If you create a plan from the start with your manager and work on continuous improvement for the skills your job requires, you will not run into this except for maybe the "busy season" in the fall when everyone is working hard for results.

But - If you value your time and ability, you would want to do whatever you could to make yourself a better employee who can be efficient so they don't have to regularly work more than is asked (or at least have the option). You will not be left behind unless you just choose to stop putting in effort.

As the company expands - change can feel polarizing. It's either at the drop of a hat or feels like trying to turn an aircraft carrier. Taking it a bit slower or hiring add'l people to fast-track projects might remedy some of this.

The benefits are certainly getting more beneficial...but it will take some time. The 401k is :( though.

Advice to Management

Advice to prospective employees, first:

This is an amazing company, and they do give you a tremendous amount of opportunity. The culture and values they have here are genuine. Reviews that are largely negative or overly positive should be taken with maybe a few grains of salt - it comes down to what you make of it. Everything comes down to effort and mindset. If you believe in the work you do, enjoy it, and seek to grow your skills in that field - you will reach new heights here. If you are lukewarm about anything, or allow negative perceptions of the work and company affect you - you may not find the success or growth you are seeking here. If you are struggling there are endless resources to help you, and that is across every department! Not just sales (a majority of these reviews). The employee demographic is a good blend, and I do believe the company hires on potential and merit, not just to fill positions for statistics-sake.

Advice to Management:

As we continue to grow, communication between departments is more crucial than ever. Create a more direct outlet for employees to voice suggestions, concerns, and ideas. It could be private or public like the SVG Advisory meetings.

Everyone in non-sales roles can quickly feel left out or left behind. Increase employee recognition outside of the Fond system (which can we agree largely gets lost in the sea of daily e-mails, projects, and chats?) and increase the inter-departmental social events. Everyone has an essential role and you want to be able to go into a place feeling comfortable and able to talk to the people you work alongside to support/develop/manage.

For the sales department, it is all about transparency and morale. It is probably difficult to find a good balance between telling agents too much and too little in the context of marketing so that morale is maintained (see: Ignorance is bliss). There has got to be more Sales Advisory Board meetings, and SVG Voice meetings as a whole. Allowing agents to ask their questions and voice their concerns in an open manner prevents cancerous negativity and speculation from circulating. Adjusting agent metrics for time taken off might be a good start, simply to so that they don't feel "punished" for exercising their benefits (whether it's for family emergency, vacation, sickness, etc).

Spring Venture Group Response

May 8, 2018 – VP Human Resources

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your review - we appreciate your thoughtful feedback and will certainly keep it in consideration as we continue our efforts to support our employees... More