StubHub Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
StubHub President Scott Cutler
Scott Cutler

Pros
  • There's good work life balance on most teams (in 18 reviews)

• Owned by eBay, which provides excellent benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Working in LMS can make work-life balance hard to handle because of the 7 day work week scheduling (in 15 reviews)

• Pro: Leadership team is aware and making updates where possible (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Company has successfully pivoted"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at StubHub full-time

Pros

-If you are an avid sports/ theatre/ concert fan, you will love working here
    -Being part of the eBay family has its benefits. There is typically a huge investment in training and development of employees as there is an expectation and incentives to stay for 5-10 years or more.
    -You don't have to trade off a growing your career with having a family. There's good work life balance on most teams.
    -After a recent acquisition StubHub is now in over 50 countries worldwide! This in addition to the current growth trajectory is translating into lots of new job opportunities and possibilities for lateral and upward mobility within the company.
    -Marketing team is being up leveled
    -The office is super convenient to get to by Bart/ Caltrain/ Transbay
    -Mobile team rocks

Cons

-The site technology stack is improving but not fast enough. Architecture guidelines are grossly neglected.
    -Too many technical and process bottle necks stifle ability to release quickly

Advice to Management

-Keep up the momentum with business growth!

2. "Great Company Overall"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I worked at StubHub full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing culture at StubHub, great people.

Cons

Just the typical corporate stuff where people spend their days working on things that don't matter or get changed at the drop of a dime.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Media Sales"

I worked at StubHub full-time

Pros

Great Business Model for ticketing

Cons

Digital advertising opportunities are dated

Advice to Management

None

5. "Watch you back"

Pros

It's a fun environment but...

Cons

they throw you out like trash. bosses can fire you for no reason and they did to many people who gave them crazy about of hours and dedication.

Advice to Management

like it matters?

"Employees are just a number."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Granby, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Granby, CT

I have been working at StubHub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a fun place to work. You get to talk to a lot of amazing people. I love what I do and you get to help people with that once in a lifetime experience.

Cons

You are just a number to them, there is no feeling of security. The management and staffing agency have very poor communication. They are always thinking about the fan but could really care less about the employee .

"UI team in StubHub"

Current Employee - Senior UI Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior UI Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at StubHub full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to explore if you're self motivated.
    Best place to just come and go, get paid and stay stale if not interested to move up in the career.

Cons

There is absolutely "NO" growth for engineers in StubHub's UI team. Managers in this team never bother about the team's growth rather are very political and self-centric.

Engineers will never get appreciated, rather will be constantly demotivated and discouraged, will be given lame reasons when it comes to appreciations, benefits and promotions.

Poor management of this team spoils the work ethics and demotivates every individual in the team.

Being the face of StubHub, the UI engineering team is deprived from appreciation, promotions, motivation and career growth.

Advice to Management

Be considerate to your team members, appreciate and motivate the team.

A team must grow together, not just the managers. Try to find the pulse of the team every now and then, act as needed.

A satisfied and engaged team will get the company to next level, not just the imaginative aggressive goals.

"Listen and ask for feedback"

I have been working at StubHub full-time

Pros

Great place for folks into Sports and Concerts
    New CEO is great and brings new ideas and culture
    Great food, snacks and project celebrations.

Some great leaders who balance there work between running the business and helping there people growth. My team is empowered to make decisions and my bosses boss gets involved only when needed or when the project has issues. Our director makes time out of his busy schedule to meet us anytime.

Cons

Engineering, PMO, QA - The 3 are lost organizations without any true leadership. None of them truly knows what is going on and where are the issues.

Advice to Management

To truly change the culture and truly address the issues, talk to the people. Meet all levels of managements and your most senior ICs and get feedback.

Project delivery feels slow because there are issues to resolve. Stop coming up with random new processes, like pipeline, to solve issues that are not fully understood. We don't truly understand the issues and we are making changes.

We are very bandage focused in technology. We do what it takes to meet a specific use case for a specific date. Then we go back and spend months and months to cleanup something that was never fully delivered.

Please talk to your employees at all levels and don't rely on the same folks.

Please create a internal feedback system so we don't have to put this on a public web-site. There is no way to give real feedback to upper (high up) management without getting dinged. There is a problem giving feedback because some leaders get very defensive.

"eh.."

I worked at StubHub full-time

Pros

exciting business opportunities still ahead

Cons

poor management decisions and prioritization

10. "Fun entertainment/sports based company."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at StubHub (More than a year)

Pros

The customer relations department was a very relaxed and hard working group of folks. Life and work balance was very positive as I was able to request time off on the rare occasion to travel on a weekend. Team building outings to SF Giants games from time to time.

Cons

Sodas were free from vending machines on a few floors except the upper floors for whatever reason. Not a negative, just an odd observation. External tech support where we had to contact a team outside of our immediate office/building tends to be slow, but not a major issue. Wished there were more opportunities to stay on board for contractors.

"Positive change but more needed, technology overhaul"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at StubHub full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great new President moving this company forward with great management and culture.
    StubHub is a great place to work and in many pockets the teams are passionate and driven
    Pay, Stock, and Benefits

Cons

Technology leadership needs a overhaul.
    We don't have a CTO and the new leaders are not in tune with the issues in technology specially Engineering, Product, QA and PMO.

Too many fake leaders that have little management experience and have been over promoted with the wrong reasons.

Too many projects are delivered with tech-debt. We continue to reward teams that deliver big projects even when there is short-cuts and significant tech-debt included.

Native team does whatever they want and don't work across the org. They think they are above the rest and bully everyone.

There are engineering leaders that continue to speak in big meetings about how great there team is and how we should change; but then they do nothing and just talk big for self credit

Advice to Management

Don't over promote leaders in technology. There are too many that are junior that have moved to management for the wrong reasons.

PMO is a mess and the company continues to lack a proper understood process and understanding. There is absolutely no organization or project management in this team and it starts from the leader who has no experience.

Invest more in your individual contributors.